Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

that would be my job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I have only beat about 3-4 basic decks at white stakes and don't seem to have too much unlocked but I feel like blueprint is S-tier.

Was able to combo blueprint with burglar and ramen, and then move it to copy constellation during scoring. Even just high cards were getting me 30k+ despite building for flushes. This is the poo poo I live for and why Balatro is amazing.

Blueprint is universally an amazing Joker, yeah. Not only does it allow you to dupe your strongest other Joker, but it's versatile as you said. You can move it around to abuse it.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
im currently taking yellow deck up through the stakes, at purple stake now.

yellow deck is my favorite deck for climbing because the early game economy is nasty at high stakes and getting full interest every turn becomes important to be able to stay in the game. also allows you to skip early game antes without being punished as much.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yorick legendary owns, I pulled it early (along with another legendary card) and it carried me to my best run yet with a 24 million high score. This game somehow gets better the more I play it, I feel like I'm still just scratching the surface of what's possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Definitely. It's one of the more rewarding games I've played recently. When I first bought it I saw screenshots of folks getting actually exponential scores or at the least in the hundreds of thousands and wondering how that could even be done. Now I can do it maybe a quarter of the time. Soon I bet I'll figure out how to do it every time.

I kinda can't believe it was only $15 for how deep it has gone.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's nuts that one guy made this game and how well it works. I haven't been this impressed in a one person game since Stardew Valley.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

So the correct way to play most deck builders is filling your hands with junk cards, right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Absolutely! High Card + stone stone stone stone is my favorite way to High Card.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Double Hologram Jokers + Marble Joker was an absolutely stupid combo.
Each round it adds a stone card to the deck, which adds to both of their multipliers.
Bought as many cards to add to my deck from the store as possible

When I finally crapped out at ante 12 each Hologram was around x12 on their multipliers.
Bananas.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

No Wave posted:

Does omelette challenge give you 5x egg value? only way my stats make sense.

Where do I find this stats screen?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Lemon posted:

Where do I find this stats screen?

Options > Stats > Card Stats > Jokers

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Are spectral packs just more rare than others? I almost never see them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It must be burned into the game's code.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Grey Cat posted:

Are spectral packs just more rare than others? I almost never see them.

spectral cards are pretty powerful so they don't want you getting them all the time

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

First, something interesting: There is, in fact, an Ante 0! You can only reach it by grabbing the Hieroglyph at some point during Ante 1. I'm curious if this means there's an Ante -1 on the off chance that you manage to grab both the Hieroglyph AND the Petroglyph, but I'm pretty sure that the timing on it is literally impossible since you would need two Voucher purchases, a Voucher Restock, and $20 by the end of the second Blind.

There's the 100 million chip run. Of course, I then proceeded to immediately faceplant into the biggest counter to the deck in the Boss Blind. Super fun run though.

Well apart from this, which was just rude.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Ciaphas posted:

is it ba-LA-tro or BAL-a-tro

According to my google searches when I first saw the game mentioned it's Balotoro, or Blatora

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I finally got my first win off Black (after many many many restarts and failures) with a very weird deck.

I started out with a Holo Blue Joker (+chips per cards in hand) and The Trio (3X if a 3 of a Kind is included) and figured I was going to be building for 3 of a Kinds, especially after Blueprint and the Wily Joker (+100 chips for 3 of a kind) showed up.

Which of course is when I stopped getting any luck with 3 of a kinds or Full Houses, so I dropped Wily Joker for Mystic Summit since all I was doing is discarding, then 10-4 showed up and helped me get past the mid-game.

Then in Ante 6 DNA made it's first appearance, and broke the game very very badly. My first hand with it had a Lucky Ace show up, so I hit it with a Blueprint + DNA combo. After which I just kept doing that over and over again until every hand I was playing 5 Aces.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

if it were hold 'em and i got deuce seven offsuit on my first hand i'd sure have considered it :v:

It's fun to cache a small extra pot at the start of the game for anyone who manages to win a hand with a 7-2. Reduces the temptation to just fold it right away -- at least makes it more of a situational decision. :-)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have Balatro Brain. Jokers haunt my dreams. There is no escape

Balatro, Balatro
The whole deck through
Just few more hands
Keeps Balatro on my mind

I said Balatro
Balatro
When my odds are few
Finding cards with a smear
Helps get a flush sometimes

Other games reach out to me
Other people smile worriedly
Still in troubled dreams I see
The mults keep coming through

I said Balatro
Oh Balatro, no peace I find
Just a few more hands
Keeps Balatro on my mind

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 25, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

He made it into a Magic card

https://scryfall.com/card/pip/71/wild-wasteland

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The music is constantly stuck in my head. I finally got my second win. This is a perfect PS Remote Play game

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

SirFozzie posted:

The flame color thing is because plasma deck (which averages the chips and the multiplier before doing the score calculations, so instead of 100x1, it's 50.5 x 50.5. Really rewards unbalanced things (which is why his multiplier was in the stratosphere) and yes, the idol only selects from cards in your deck (I heard that in a video, either this one or another one)

Plasma deck is just straight op, because it does a large portion of the game for free (maximizing the product of two numbers)

The downside of 2x blind isn't nearly enough, for example a two pair goes from ~
20 x 2 = 40 to 11 x 11 = 121, and it's actually a much bigger difference then that when you add in card chip values. It makes the early game easier when you're desperate for mult and the late game easier where you're instead desperate for chips since there's no chip multipliers like there are mult multipliers.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm a dumbfuck

I had an insane setup with 7 jokers and then I blew it all proccing Sixth Sense + DNA for cards and not realising it was on The Needle and I could then only play high cards after that

ARGH

:livintrope:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's ok, recently I was doing a run that could win anything but not in one hand, got the opportunity to reroll the boss blind, and some kind of insomniac fugue made me instinctively click 'select' instead of 'skip' locking myself into The Needle

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Man, I just CANNOT crack Ante 12.

Does anyone have the Joker next to Golden? It's the only one I don't have collected.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Jossar posted:

Options > Stats > Card Stats > Jokers

Thanks!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Just beat a run on the spectral deck where the first joker was the one that gives +10 mult for a flush. Everything just ran away from there.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Easy 890 million previous round.

Stopped by a boss that requires 1 million.

I had about 15 kings and aces in my deck, still unable to make a full house before my discards were up.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

This game is going to consume my every waking moment

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think so far Ghost is my best deck. Not only is the early Hex card pretty powerful but the increased frequency of Spectral booster packs can lead to some really powerful builds.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Balatbros beware!!

I learned the hard way that when playing on Switch with a single joycon rotated 180, the game thinks that R1 is L1.

I sold my poo poo instead of using it!!!!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friend just got a 1.39bn round during ante 11.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I have cracked the billion-point barrier

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Onmi posted:

I have cracked the billion-point barrier

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 25, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

And there, that's all of the Red Stakes completed for every deck unlocked at Green Stakes or under. The Rocket was a star on this run, I think it was something like 17 Cash a round by the end. Unfortunately fell just short of the $400 achievement - should've realized it was more important to grab that than try to win the last Ante, but even then I still came close.

Nebula definitely wants you to ride and die on what you pick really early on. I think the secret is to ignore it and just do normal Balatro things until you get your basic engine going, and only then slam the Celestial Packs until you get to your desired level of power. It allows for early access to the Observatory, which can be crazy with the right setups, but it definitely doesn't seem worth it compared to the other decks.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 25, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

And immediately surpassed it, I can feel it in my bones. THIS IS THE RUN!

The billions...

THE BILLIONS!

POINTS FOR THE POINT GOD!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

The wiki is wrong.
In Latin words emphasis is on the third to last syllable UNLESS there's a vowel followed by 2 consonants, then that syllable is emphasized.

But Latin is a dead language so do whatever