Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, it's not really a base builder like those. It's more like an extraction shooter, without the shooting. Extraction driver. Go in, get your loot, maybe accomplish a story objective, try to make it out alive. Then you go back to your home garage and upgrade your car and certain workstations in the garage itself.

I love the term "Extraction Driver". That's what it is. 10/10 should be added to their store page.

queeb posted:

I was driving in my shitbox, picked up an arc orb thing, then noticed an abductor floating towards me, it grabbed my car, dragged it into the woods, into the path of a chainsaw blade anomaly thing that loving wrecked my car, and as i limped away i drove into a batch of broken bunnies, which leap and stick to your car and make it do all hosed up things like turn the lights on and off, brake or accelerate, honk the horn and poo poo. it was so intense lol. i hopped out and ripped them off my car and sped off into the extraction point but man my heart was racing.

love this game

theres'a fairly large tech tree and everything

I was trying to get some plasma but didn't notice there was a field of tourists next to it. I looked down to bust open the container, grab the stuff, turn to head back to the car, and I'm surrounded by like 15 of them. No where else to look and a couple are right in my face. I try to walk backwards and jump over the broken container but screw it up and get stuck cause I don't remember what exactly is behind me. I try to turn and bolt then turn back as fast as possible but still get hit a bit, managed to get around them barely, jump in the car but in a panic drive into a Left-Right, end up loving Tokyo Drifting a 180 right back towards the herd of Tourists, plow through them, gently caress up my car and it's still hosed from the L-R so I end up running into the Booster anomaly, over a ramp, and crash into an Arc orb WHICH IT TURNS OUT BREAKS IT AND COUNTS AS TAKING IT SO NOW THE BLOWOUT IS STARTING. My front tires are hosed I have no doors now and I can't really turn left because the whole thing wants to list so hard to the right I'm basically mashing A just to stay going straight. I have one sealing kit and one can of repair putty, fix one front tire (now it only kinda lists to the right instead so it's an improvement), barely fix some structural stuff before I have to mad dash through the woods, undoing all the quick repairs I just made before barely getting into the warp in time.

90% of my runs I'm super cautious and able to strategically avoid everything and get a buttload of mats and energy with no problem. Then sometimes ONE thing goes wrong and it cascades.

Loving this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Now it makes sense to me. I wonder if the PVE extraction genre will get its own catchy name in a few years if games like Pacific Drive and Witchfire catch on.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Kefa posted:

so what's the verdict on Penny's Big Breakaway?
are the controls actually as bad as people on steam say?

It is a literal skill issue on people's end imo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kefa posted:

so what's the verdict on Penny's Big Breakaway?
are the controls actually as bad as people on steam say?

Controls seem fine to me. Pretty standard platformer kinda thing with some neat moves

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Night Runners just released its free demo on Steam.

Night Runners is a Tokyo Xtreme Racer like game where you build your car and attempt to get away from your debt to the Yakuza. It takes a look at the more slimy, criminal side of the Japanese street racing.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

_____! posted:

gently caress I was going to sit this one out since for once I have like 4 games I'm bouncing between but y'all convinced me. One of those games being S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so maybe I just have a thing for exclusion zones :v:

I also thought it was a Subnautica/the Forest-a-like so I'm guessing their marketing department might have been a little off.

\/\/\/\/ Hmm that's an interesting way of putting it! I never really got the impression of base building from the trailer, more the survival aspect. Either way it looks like I know what I'm playing this weekend.

Read Roadside Picnic, it's short, awesome and weird.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Tarkovsky 1979 Stalker movie is pretty good (100% fresh on RT!) but it is not a typical sci-fi movie at all.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 25, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

One thing about Pacific Drive is that it can be a bit slow moving, just collecting enough resources. I'm so low on chemicals which sucks because that's what you use to craft repair putty. Because of that I'll want to go do at least one or two supply runs before I continue on trying to get past the first wall.

Then those many slow moments are punctuated by moments of intense panic as you try to somehow drag your badly damaged and misbehaving vehicle to the exit.

I think it's pretty fun, although there are parts of it where I kinda feel like it's taking too much time to accomplish certain things.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Subjunctive posted:

The Tarkovsky 1978 Stalker movie is pretty good (100% fresh on RT!) but it is not a typical sci-fi movie at all.

Yeah, unlike most sci-fi movies it's good

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Is there a thread for Pacific Drive yet?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Crain posted:

Is there a thread for Pacific Drive yet?

I'm not sure but the Survival Simulation thread is talking about it a lot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1426740/Aveliana/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257000268/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1707570958

quote:

Aveliana is an infiltration-action-adventure game in 2.5D with unique and diverse gameplay! Will you stealth your way to victory? Seek a forgotten path on the edge of a cliff? Or stand and fight against your enemies? Follow the trace of a mysterious fox and learn about a surprising story!
4 positive, 0 negative reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1781260/Promenade/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257000139/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1707497685

quote:

Go on an adventure in a world packed with secrets helped by your friend, a poulp with many abilities. Explore, solve puzzles, wander across dungeons, blast through races and much more in this game inspired by the best 3D platformers
9 positive, 0 negative reviews.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Bootstrap Island just came into EA,.for those looking for VR releases.
As far as I can tell it has some sorta 17th century robinson cursor kinda thing going on, I guess.
I just do some art for them, haven't played it past very early alpha.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just finished the first real mission in Pacific Drive. Enjoying it so far.
I'm reminded of Dredge more than anything else - oppressive atmosphere, scavenging, everything centered around your vehicle, tetris inventory.

E: I came across a crowd of "tourists" outside a gas station and one of them did the Dr Who statue thing. Creepy fucker. I don't know what happens if they touch you, didn't hang around to find out.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 25, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I would like to check out Pacific Drive, but I hear that it has a lovely checkpoint save system where it sometimes takes more than an hour before you can save. I like to play video games in twenty minute chunks or so, so this is a potential dealbreaker for me. How bad is it?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

SimonChris posted:

I would like to check out Pacific Drive, but I hear that it has a lovely checkpoint save system where it sometimes takes more than an hour before you can save. I like to play video games in twenty minute chunks or so, so this is a potential dealbreaker for me. How bad is it?

There's an autosave at the start of a map that's it. At home you can save and quit at anytime

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

But yeah some missions are long as hell so no quitting during those, 20 mins won't cut it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Champy the Useless Vampire

quote:

Join Champy, the useless vampire, in this charming 2D point-and-click adventure with hand-drawn environments and funny puzzles. Embark on an adventure amongst a cult of vampire hunters, a giant octopus and zombie animals. Will Champy find a way to save Dracula before it's too late?
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256996266/movie480_vp9.webm
78% out of 14.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

SimonChris posted:

i've had missions last over an hour with no ability to save, it's not great if you have limited time.

it's lovely and my biggest complaint w/ the game. if you know it's going to bother you, just wait to see if they figure out how to patch at least a "save & quit" option.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Fwiw you can change the settings so abandoning a run doesn't lose any loot

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

This and it has a mountain of gaming accessibility options to tweak how harsh/friendly/easy it is

It's a fantastic game, but I wouldn't recommend it if you can only play in small bites, sinking into it is a good time - I don't think it'd be quite as good in bits and pieces

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

You can also just pause the game and play in chunks. I had to step away for half an hour during a mission, no issue.

Really digging it so far. Lotta effort in the ambiance. Background sounds are suitably creepy.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

bitterandtwisted posted:

Does this option also change so when you die you keep all the loot you had?
Lack of ability to quit on saving is one of the main reasons I haven't gotten it either. It is espeially weird when dev is saying autosave on quit is super cheesable and goes against the core design of the game. Despite me not being able to remember a single roguelike that doesn't save on quit, no matter how cheap and lovely it is and you being able to turn off even player damage and death.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

haddedam posted:

Does this option also change so when you die you keep all the loot you had?
Lack of ability to quit on saving is one of the main reasons I haven't gotten it either. It is espeially weird when dev is saying autosave on quit is super cheesable and goes against the core design of the game. Despite me not being able to remember a single roguelike that doesn't save on quit, no matter how cheap and lovely it is and you being able to turn off even player damage and death.

You can change it so that when you fail a run, you lose some, all, or none of your loot.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've made a thread for the (very good) newly release Solium Infernum.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

A note regarding saving in Pacific Drive. Whenever you travel between sites on a run, you get an auto save. Early game is weird, because your first few runs have you only going to one site, and you tend to spend a bunch of time in them. While it was common for me to spend 30-60 minutes in a site during my first few runs, that has changed significantly as I've progressed a little bit. For me, I found that after a few runs of strip mining earlier zones, I have more than enough of the common resources you can extract from them (arguably too much! I've had to upgrade my storage because I was running out of places to sock all the loot!)

Now that I'm in what I feel is the midgame (1 story mission complete in the mid-zone) a typical run for me is 4 or 5 sites, and I'm probably only spending 5-15 minutes in everything but the last one. In the earlier ones, I'm looking to collect some easy to grab arc orbs, maybe some chemicals or easy to snag loot, but primarily just trying to get through the zone while expending as little battery/fuel as possible with minimal damage to my wagon.

It's a great game!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bann posted:

A note regarding saving in Pacific Drive. Whenever you travel between sites on a run, you get an auto save.

:dadjoke:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PowerWash Simulator: Warhammer 40,000 DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F-Yq5YXL9c

Play
Apr 25, 2006

lol

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1550010/The_Witch_of_Fern_Island/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257003016/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1709055647

quote:

Welcome to Fern Island! As Abrill, become immersed in the island’s culture, uncover its deepest secrets, and master magical trades. Overcome the challenges of the island to demonstrate your mastery of magic and become the most well known witch around!
Full 1.0 release. 80% positive out of 244

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1000410/WRATH_Aeon_of_Ruin/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257004115/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1709061802

quote:

Blast, slice and shred through your enemies in this hardcore FPS inspired by the icons of the '90s, powered by the legendary Quake-1 Tech. Taking place in a realm left to rot, take up arms, unearth long-forgotten secrets and hunt down the Guardians of the Old World.
Another 1.0 release. 75% positive out of ~1.3k

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1374170/Camp_Canyonwood/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256963845/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708967257

quote:

Build and manage a summer camp in this cozy outdoor life sim where nothing strange ever happens. Lead troops of campers to earn badges, collect resources, decorate the vast campgrounds, and investigate the camp's many mysteries.
Yet another 1.0 release. 70% positive out of 30.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1729940/The_Tribe_Must_Survive/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257002254/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708432100

quote:

An unforgiving strategy survival Tribe-builder, set in a Lovecraftian Stone Age with a dash of rogue-like. Gather and manage resources to grow your Tribe. Navigate complex social dynamics, unique to every run. No choice is too small when it comes to preparing your Tribe to survive.
Early Access. 82% positive out of 51.

Also Age of Wonders 4 released a DLC called Primal Fury.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Just wanted to give context for the low-ish score. It's mostly because it spent a billion years in development hell and blew way past several promised release dates. The game itself is a very well made Quake-like.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bann posted:

A note regarding saving in Pacific Drive. Whenever you travel between sites on a run, you get an auto save.

Yeah, I mentioned this in the Pacific Drive thread, but I've been wondering to what extent people freaking out about the save system are not realizing this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Just wanted to give context for the low-ish score. It's mostly because it spent a billion years in development hell and blew way past several promised release dates. The game itself is a very well made Quake-like.
yea so far playing it, it's quite good

people just assumed it was abandoned because no one looks at Steam News where the devs were posting updates every other week for the last couple of years until it hit gold

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1839760/Cursed_Crew/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256999092/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1707156939

quote:

You’re the captain of a cursed ship in this crew management roguelite! Command your crew, keep the ship afloat, defeat pirates and deep-sea beasts, and sail as far as it takes to lift the curse.
Early Access. 100% positive out of 14.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCW4HkZHP6Y

this looks good, I genuinely can't decide if I want to play DD2 or this on release. Why do they have to come out at the same time... I guess one of them will be on sale when I buy it at least.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it'll be DD2 for me because I think that's a game that will be more interesting to see blind before anyone knows much about it, but I'll play ronin right after that if the reviews are decent. I really liked wo long, stranger of paradise and nioh 2 so I trust team ninja to do good gameplay even if I wish the setting had more of the mythological/fantastical elements of nioh

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm waiting on Rise of the Ronin. None of my friends have PS5s, and the Team Ninja games are always more fun in co-op, so the choice is made for me.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Thoom posted:

I'm waiting on Rise of the Ronin. None of my friends have PS5s, and the Team Ninja games are always more fun in co-op, so the choice is made for me.

I totally forgot you can play nioh games in coop. Is it good? Can you complete the whole game together? Do you both progress at the same time or just the host?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

C'mon, the pic made me laugh, post it:

Hwurmp posted:

even the footstool is grimdark

e: it has tiny skulls

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Kefa posted:

I totally forgot you can play nioh games in coop. Is it good? Can you complete the whole game together? Do you both progress at the same time or just the host?

The whole game, except for the tutorial and a few brief solo missions. Generally a single boss, or a story section with no fighting. Everybody progresses together.

I'd suggest jumping straight into Nioh 2, personally. The mechanics are much more refined than the first game, and the stories are mostly unrelated. And also complete nonsense unless you went to high school in Japan or have otherwise acquired an encyclopedic knowledge of the Sengoku period. The game doesn't bother to properly introduce or develop any characters or events because it assumes you already know them by heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
it does have a codex for you to read while your buddy (someone like me) spends 30 minutes between missions digging through their trash for something with the grace they want.