Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xenomrph posted:

Just a reminder that it’s been just over 10 years since Kirby Triple Deluxe melted our faces off with this banger:

https://youtu.be/1e27wGQaAB0?si=_rFT1HXnw1j6sFvk

Well this okay, I guess. I don't see what the fuss is all abo-

:stare:

':rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well this okay, I guess. I don't see what the fuss is all abo-

:stare:

':rock:

The first time I played it, by sheer luck I managed to time to so I cleared the first part of the fight just as the music got loving crazy. I was sitting there saying “WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON????” for the rest of the fight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a thread for like, Gameboy-adjacent systems

I've been eyeballing the Miyoo Mini Plus and various alternatives for use on the train since I don't have the foresight to buy a Deck and prefer the DMG-01 style form factor

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Found out that online will be up for dlc until March. Was planning on buying Echoes of Valentia at some point but I may speed that up in the event if it has DLC that’s worthwhile.

I don’t think I’d enjoy the FE that’s conquest, fates, birthright, given all I’ve been told about them, but does this mean one will forever be inaccessible? The FOMO is going to get me to buy these games I’ll likely hate (I hated awakenings).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here is the list: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/downloadable-content/

Doesn't look like the kind of DLC that will be lost to custom firmware, even with a legitimate copy. It is probably not like Monster Hunter 4U where you need to connect to a dedicated game server to grab additional quests and such (but chances are you can get save data which has all that content for a situation like that).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 24, 2024

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Found out that online will be up for dlc until March. Was planning on buying Echoes of Valentia at some point but I may speed that up in the event if it has DLC that’s worthwhile.

I don’t think I’d enjoy the FE that’s conquest, fates, birthright, given all I’ve been told about them, but does this mean one will forever be inaccessible? The FOMO is going to get me to buy these games I’ll likely hate (I hated awakenings).

You absolutely would hate Birthright and Revelations (the secret third route that's DLC only). Don't bother.

You might like Conquest IF (big if):

You skip all story scenes (they are pants on head stupid).
Also ignore the child units (if you didn't like them in Awakening, you'll hate them even more in Fates).

I say this because Conquest has some extremely excellent map design. One of the best in the series. It is just shackled to the worst story in the entire series. I am not even exaggerating. If story is important to you, don't bother with any of them!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Are there ways to use game-shark esque cheats on a jailbroken 3DS? I wanted to play through a few JRPGs (open to recs!) as part of my Japanese reading practice, but don't want to spend any time grinding or dealing with tough boss fights; basically want a "casual" or "story" mode.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

No but I do like good map design/tactics. As you’ve seen I’ve been taken fully in by Engage. Maybe if I can get a cheap copy of conquest.

Aside from story/character writing I found awakenings gameplay/maps to be quite dull.

But that sounds promising. Thank you!

I’ll have to visit a store soon.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Are there ways to use game-shark esque cheats on a jailbroken 3DS? I wanted to play through a few JRPGs (open to recs!) as part of my Japanese reading practice, but don't want to spend any time grinding or dealing with tough boss fights; basically want a "casual" or "story" mode.

incidentally since fire emblem is the current topic, fates has a Phoenix difficulty mode where you'd have to actively try really hard to lose

Not quite a jrpg though since it's turn based strat rpg

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Both Persona Q: Labyrinth games have a Safety difficulty that much like the Picnic difficulty in several Etrian Odyssey games does not give you much challenge. Both are dungeon crawlers but the former series is a lot more chatty than the latter.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yes, although you'll be at the whims of the people who created the cheats, because they might be region or game version dependent.

If you followed the 3DS hacks guide to install custom firmware it will have also installed Checkpoint, which you can use to export or import save files and load cheat files. Boot it up, go to the icon of the game you want and go to the cheats tab. If it has a list of cheats for that game in its database you can then tick the boxes for the ones you might use. You are not activating the cheats within Checkpoint, you are merely setting them ready.

When playing the game you can use the Luma menu shortcut (L trigger + Down + Select by default) and then select the Cheats option and enable the ones you want. Depending on the cheat it might be better to disable them as soon as you see the effect or it might cause issues (for example: give yourself 9999 gold before entering the shop, but then turn it off when you want to spend it).

You'll quickly notice that Checkpoint has a fairly limited database of cheats. How do you expand it? Well, someone compiled a database for older cheat solutions at one point, but you can use their txt files with Checkpoint. Here is the Github which has a Cheats folder with individual games. Here is also a direct download to an archive that contains the entire Github: https://dlhb.gamebrew.org/3dshomebrews/ctrpfarcheatcodes.7z

Select the txt files for the games you want then place them in a folder called "cheats" in the root of your SD card. I think you don't even need to use Checkpoint to ready them if you add them like this.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 24, 2024

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

No but I do like good map design/tactics. As you’ve seen I’ve been taken fully in by Engage. Maybe if I can get a cheap copy of conquest.

Aside from story/character writing I found awakenings gameplay/maps to be quite dull.

But that sounds promising. Thank you!

I’ll have to visit a store soon.

Yeah, like, I admit I put an unhealthy amount of time into Awakening but it wasn't because the map design was any good. I adored the cast and loved the Pokemon-breeding-esque way of creating super soldiers. So I get you!

Conquest is hard. Some of the best gameplay in the series. Really well designed all around. Just ignore the story. It's bad.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yes, Luma (the de facto custom firmware for a jailbroken 3DS) can do that!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Is there a good comfort grip for the New 3DS XL that’s still available for purchase at a reasonable price, or is my best bet a friend of a friend who has a 3D printer? The ones on Amazon don’t look very ergonomic, and the ones on eBay are obviously straight from Thingiverse.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Found out that online will be up for dlc until March [...]

If I'm not mistaken you can no longer make online purchases in 3DS or Wii U, including DLC, since last year's April, it's the servers for playing and connecting with other people that will be turned off in a couple of months, isn't that right?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

runchild posted:

Is there a good comfort grip for the New 3DS XL that’s still available for purchase at a reasonable price, or is my best bet a friend of a friend who has a 3D printer? The ones on Amazon don’t look very ergonomic, and the ones on eBay are obviously straight from Thingiverse.

I bought this one and it's fine. It's better than nothing (good bit more comfortable IMO but I don't play it much tbh) but not as good as some of the ones I've used on my switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018VAEXD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Thanks for those recs, guys! I may see if I can get cheats running on Chrono Trigger or FF6 for some comfort food, but will also see about downloading the games with super-easy modes.

Suburban Dad posted:

I bought this one and it's fine. It's better than nothing (good bit more comfortable IMO but I don't play it much tbh) but not as good as some of the ones I've used on my switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018VAEXD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, I've got basically that one, bought it for a couple bucks on AliExpress. It does make the n3Ds a chonk (I think if you check my posts in this thread you should be able to see a pic of it next to a paperback), but is surprisingly comfortable if you have bigger hands and/or are doing longer sessions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
drat, rip my dream of finishing off MH4U's multiplayer. Unless I engage with this cheating that I haven't touched since modding my system :v:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

runchild posted:

I like the Dreamgear, which is more expensive, but it includes a USB charging cable which is hella handy https://a.co/d/9PrVQzq

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Thanks for those recs, guys! I may see if I can get cheats running on Chrono Trigger or FF6 for some comfort food, but will also see about downloading the games with super-easy modes.

Wait is this a thing? As a dadgamer playing a jrpg on easy mode sounds super ideal

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

In general it has become more of a thing to have story mode or casual difficulties in games, which remove the challenge so you can coast your way to the credits.

Happens with old games too, like look at what Square-Enix added to the current version of Final Fantasy VIII on Steam:

The HD remasters of the first three Etrian Odyssey games (on modern platforms) also have the picnic difficulty introduced in the later titles. For an example what this means in relation to EO1, here are the details by goon Araxxor:
"Expert is the original difficulty.
Basic tips the damage dealt and taken by 20% in the player's favor.
Picnic multiplies the damage dealt by 5x, and the damage taken by 0.1x. Oh and you also get a 50% exp boost here."

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 28, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I think the rerelease of FF9 did this as well. At least my friend insisted I get it on switch because there is an option to just have everybody deal 9999 damage in combat from the get go.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mierenneuker posted:

In general it has become more of a thing to have story mode or casual difficulties in games, which remove the challenge so you can coast your way to the credits.

Happens with old games too, like look at what Square-Enix added to the current version of Final Fantasy VIII on Steam:

The HD remasters of the first three Etrian Odyssey games (on modern platforms) also have the picnic difficulty introduced in the later titles. For an example what this means in relation to EO1, here are the details by goon Araxxor:
"Expert is the original difficulty.
Basic tips the damage dealt and taken by 20% in the player's favor.
Picnic multiplies the damage dealt by 5x, and the damage taken by 0.1x. Oh and you also get a 50% exp boost here."

Yeah, but does it fill in the map for you, too?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

There is a setting to do that to an extent, but it is still a notable part of the game to do things yourself. Auto-filling the floor tiles or floor+walls has been a recurring option since the 3DS releases, and well, the HD games have it too. It might not work in a small amount of areas because of a specific dungeon gimmick (maybe that just happens in EO III HD, not sure). But yeah, you're still doing things like placing icons for doors, stairs, gathering spots, shortcuts, etc.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 28, 2024

runchild
May 26, 2010

I ended up ordering a 3D-printed grip off eBay, because I wanted something that would reposition my hands outward, not just back. I’m pretty pleased with the result. It’s quite steady for something that’s not technically attached to the console. If you tilt it upside down it will slide out, but just don’t do that and everything’s gravy.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

runchild posted:

I ended up ordering a 3D-printed grip off eBay, because I wanted something that would reposition my hands outward, not just back. I’m pretty pleased with the result. It’s quite steady for something that’s not technically attached to the console. If you tilt it upside down it will slide out, but just don’t do that and everything’s gravy.

If that grip is PLA be careful with it on hot days. My brother printed me a grip (I think the same design as yours) out of black PLA. I left in a tent during the summer and it got hot enough to warp the grip. Despite trying to reheat it and straighten it, I wasn't able to fix it. In the end I just had him print another one out of (much more heat resistant) PET plastic.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://x.com/skyfloogle/status/1761806433165734157?s=46&t=zpYUUMLitkL1LQfCkNP_qA
:eyepop:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
lmao wow

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Me at 10 seconds: okay but can you make them not red
Me at 20 seconds: :O

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can’t watch the video right now but do they run in stereo 3D? Huge if so

E: they do. This rules!!

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 25, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really don’t get why Nintendo didn’t port the virtual boy library to the 3ds. The 3d screen seems like such a natural slam dunk for the system.

Nintendo being Nintendo I guess. As always it’s up to the community

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

has nintendo ever acknowledged the virtual boy in hindsight besides that one tomodachi life gif

runchild
May 26, 2010

Oh hell yeah, I tried r3Ddragon a while back but it wasn’t exactly what I would call functional.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

repiv posted:

has nintendo ever acknowledged the virtual boy in hindsight besides that one tomodachi life gif

You could get a Virtual Boy in Animal Crossing New Leaf.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

repiv posted:

One of the “microgames” in the original GBA Warioware was “Mario Clash”.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wasn’t one in a pokemon game as your home video game system or am I mixing things up?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
A reply says that 3D is supported, and that’s awesome to hear. Very excited to check this out tomorrow when I have time to jump through the hoops to get it running

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I had to try that immediately, this is amazing! Much more comfortable than playing that sideloaded VB emulator on a VR headset to get the 3D effect.

The retail titles I tried all worked, while homebrew support is iffy as the readme mentions. (Hamburgers En Route To Switzerland worked, but Hyper Fighting did not.)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The question is: are there any good virtual boy games worth playing? I only experienced my neighbor's system as a kid playing tennis for 5 minutes followed by neck pain. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've always wanted to play the one Wario game. Maybe that 3D Tetris