Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My 6yo has been taking a climbing class for a few months now. Loves getting to the top and then jumping off lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my kid had her first martial arts class today and she said it was her “birthright” because me and her grandma are both black belts.

I never urged her to do this. all on her own. some things are like epigenetic lol.

helps half the class are girls and teachers are young women.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
We head in to do stories at 745 and she's out by 830ish most days, she's been getting up at like 7 am though even on weekends, unfortunately lol but it's nice having a predictable scheduled time for our evenings

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Having a pitcher of cocktails at birthday party pickup is 100% a pro move, I cannot stress this enough

We're partying and the kids are watching a movie a++

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's two in the morning and someone woke up after a week of sleeping through the night.
Naturally I got a bottle ready and got yelled at for offering to feed her.
I'm sure I'll get yelled at again later this morning for not helping too

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well yeah my wife would be insulted too if I offered her a bottle at 2am

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Eh, at this point I think mine would take it. How does it feel to not be sick for a full week? My family doesn't know.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
We've been illness-free since December, no idea why.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Microplastics posted:

How else is she supposed to make milk?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Today my son is 2 and I celebrated by trying to swaddle him. Miss those days

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twin A will eat 2-3 eggs worth of scrambled eggs and cheese

Twin B gets a piece of egg in her mouth, spits it out, and has a look on her face like she just experienced a trump fart

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I think our kindergartener has figured out the concept of "the weekend." He likes going to school and playing with his friends, but I think he's a little disappointed that we can't play outside all day tomorrow. It's a bummer. Sorry kiddo.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
A few months ago meh offered a cool little nebula projector and I picked it up for $20 as a Christmas present nightlight.

It was a huge hit, kid loved it and they're selling it again today.

(I don't get a cut of sales, this is a legit recommendation)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Greg Legg posted:

I think our kindergartener has figured out the concept of "the weekend." He likes going to school and playing with his friends, but I think he's a little disappointed that we can't play outside all day tomorrow. It's a bummer. Sorry kiddo.

my daughter says have a great weekend every night before she goes to bed

i dont have the heart to tell her

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

RBC posted:

my daughter says have a great weekend every night before she goes to bed

i dont have the heart to tell her

lol

my daughter is starting to grasp the difference between days on and days off now, this was the first weekend that felt like she was all in to use every minute as previous as she could make it, and I couldn't have had more fun. it is cool that because of environmental hell coming, we were able to walk along the river boardwalk in a sweater in February , shame about everything else

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kid, after reading a "made in" label:

"China is really famous for making things!!"

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Kid, after reading a "made in" label:

"China is really famous for making things!!"

well yes kid.. you see after USA formalized a relationship with China a man named Deng Xiaopeng had a proposition for the west; however the west is illiterate and did not know what that meant…

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Solid progress on eating solids, most of the sweet potatoes end up inside the baby

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Heres a hot tip if someone gifts you Shoots and Ladders and your child wants you to play that boardgame with a spinner that doesn't work: Pull out your nerd dice

Game was so much better once we escalated the dice from 1D6 to 1D8 then to the D12 then add the D4 then the D20. It's not that serious, just add more dice when you want the game to end. Rules and Cheating are too advanced for the age where you gotta practice sitting down and taking turns.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Heres a hot tip if someone gifts you Shoots and Ladders and your child wants you to play that boardgame with a spinner that doesn't work: Pull out your nerd dice

Game was so much better once we escalated the dice from 1D6 to 1D8 then to the D12 then add the D4 then the D20. It's not that serious, just add more dice when you want the game to end. Rules and Cheating are too advanced for the age where you gotta practice sitting down and taking turns.

on top of that if someone gives you candy land don’t follow the directions to draw 1. draw 2 so the kid makes a decision.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Had a special day today and my son ate a big English breakfast at home before going to nursery.

When I dropped him off at nursery I told them he already had breakfast so didn't need to have one there. Well he must have raised a stink because they gave him two more breakfasts at nursery

What a loving greedy git

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Microplastics posted:

Had a special day today and my son ate a big English breakfast at home before going to nursery.

When I dropped him off at nursery I told them he already had breakfast so didn't need to have one there. Well he must have raised a stink because they gave him two more breakfasts at nursery

What a loving greedy git

we've had first breakfast yes, but what about secondthird breakfast??

at least your kid eats! I feel like I can tell when my oldest son is growing because he'll suddenly be an eating machine for a few weeks, then he'll slow back down and just pick at his food. My youngest is an absolute wildcard; I might as well read tea leaves and bird entrails to know when and what he is going to eat. I don't want to make it A Thing because i've read that you can cause negative associations with food by harping on them about it, so I try to ride the line of "Calories for growing body = Good" and "No you can't always eat Cheez-its"*

* - I loving love Cheez-its

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Growth spurt

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
2-year old daughter has what seems like chickenpox. Weird, since she's vaccinated.

Our pediatrician and backup are unavailable. We go to some unknown pediatrician.

Doctor: "Yeah looks like chickenpox, maybe. I dunno." He's cold, almost disdainful, and extremely unhelpful. We wonder if he's racist or just a lovely doctor.

He sends us for a blood test. Daughter handles it like a champ and doesn't even cry.

Doctor: "Turns out it's not chickenpox. Bye."

We look him up online. All his positive reviews are from white people, and all his negative reviews are from black people.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Man gently caress that I'm sorry.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

That's really lovely I'm sorry

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

brugroffil posted:

7pm bed time blows my mind. Like we're barely finishing up dinner at that point and we've still gotta do baths etc.!

Pretty consistently 830pm for an almost-5 and almost-7 year old these days, at least. Once the younger one finally started going to bed easy and sleeping through the night ~8 months ago it was like a magic spell of extra time and sanity.

Our kids go to sleep at 6pm every day and they're about the same age. Which is good considering that I have to get up at 3am to go to work every day and my wife often gets home late from her job.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Votskomit posted:

2-year old daughter has what seems like chickenpox. Weird, since she's vaccinated.

Our pediatrician and backup are unavailable. We go to some unknown pediatrician.

Doctor: "Yeah looks like chickenpox, maybe. I dunno." He's cold, almost disdainful, and extremely unhelpful. We wonder if he's racist or just a lovely doctor.

He sends us for a blood test. Daughter handles it like a champ and doesn't even cry.

We look him up online. All his positive reviews are from white people, and all his negative reviews are from black people.

that's hosed, I'm sorry. being a racist makes him a lovely doctor regardless.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Votskomit posted:

gently caress that guy, name and shame imo. Could be helpful for anyone who happens to also be in your area

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Also, in the follow up call he said it's weird that her chickenpox antibodies are so high. Mom said that's presumably because she was vaccinated, which he would've known if he checked the medical book (all babies get one here) that she gave him in the first checkup.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

gently caress that guy, name and shame imo. Could be helpful for anyone who happens to also be in your area

That's the plan.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

be careful some doctors have sued over bad reviews and lovely racist might be indicative of the type.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

sonatinas posted:

my kid had her first martial arts class today and she said it was her “birthright” because me and her grandma are both black belts.

I never urged her to do this. all on her own. some things are like epigenetic lol.

helps half the class are girls and teachers are young women.

nice, which martial art?

my kid didn't care for judo much after the first few months, but we started vovinam together and she likes punching and kicking way more

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Sherbert Hoover posted:

nice, which martial art?

my kid didn't care for judo much after the first few months, but we started vovinam together and she likes punching and kicking way more

karate because it’s the closest to us and she would see her schoolmates there.

my mom owned a taekwondo school so I have a different perspective .(trained in judo and akido as well)however all of those schools are like in the outer parts of the city while karate is in the inner burbs.

the school’s technique is not that great but my training would have been like Russian ballet compared to what I saw (even as a child)so there will be some
homeschool karate to make sure proper technique is applied

one thing that is odd is all the kids while sparring had body pads and that’s completely unnecessary at their age so I wonder if it’s a liability thing.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

hell world

anyone else??

last doubt indeed

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Feb 28, 2024

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

nice, which martial art?

The theoretical progression we're aiming for with my girl child is Judo for learning to fall -> BJJ for ground game -> Krav Maga for striking. This presumes she wants to stick with it but she enjoys Judo for now. My ideal concerned dad future is a kid with a healthy understanding of consent and the ability to ground and pound anyone who doesn't.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ok big toilet vs small potty has become an issue

Daughter had an accident at preschool yesterday and was sent home early today, both times apparently because she refuses to use the toilet there (today she just kept saying she was tired over and over which is her code for "I don't want to do this thing" but they weren't sure what else to do about it). They won't let her use our frog seat adapter thing at preschool for some reason (liability???) and have no child-sized toilets (which seemed inexplicable to me but there it is). She keeps having tantrums in the morning because she doesn't wanna go to school and it's because she's scared of the toilets.

There's no preschool on Friday or Monday so we have until Tuesday to figure this out. She's apparently entirely unable to hold herself up on the toilet without the seat-adapter thing present. Like, she can't figure out how to hold her body properly on it so she doesn't fall in. Is that common? How could we address it? The only idea I've been able to come up with was "no more training potty, it's done its job, the frog seat can be the replacement crutch" because that way we can force her to get more familiar with the big toilet, but I have no idea how to get her using regular-sized toilet seats.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay I'm sorry, a preschool has no child sized toilets? That's unfathomable.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

silvergoose posted:

Okay I'm sorry, a preschool has no child sized toilets? That's unfathomable.

yeah this is also my answer

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

loquacius posted:

Ok big toilet vs small potty has become an issue

Daughter had an accident at preschool yesterday and was sent home early today, both times apparently because she refuses to use the toilet there (today she just kept saying she was tired over and over which is her code for "I don't want to do this thing" but they weren't sure what else to do about it). They won't let her use our frog seat adapter thing at preschool for some reason (liability???) and have no child-sized toilets (which seemed inexplicable to me but there it is). She keeps having tantrums in the morning because she doesn't wanna go to school and it's because she's scared of the toilets.

There's no preschool on Friday or Monday so we have until Tuesday to figure this out. She's apparently entirely unable to hold herself up on the toilet without the seat-adapter thing present. Like, she can't figure out how to hold her body properly on it so she doesn't fall in. Is that common? How could we address it? The only idea I've been able to come up with was "no more training potty, it's done its job, the frog seat can be the replacement crutch" because that way we can force her to get more familiar with the big toilet, but I have no idea how to get her using regular-sized toilet seats.

Can you sort of gently nudge them to let you bring the adapter or was it a hard no? What if you just sent it in her backpack? Will she tolerate sitting on one of those standalone potty things and will they let you bring that in? This is a tough one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They don't have the little toilets apparently because they share space with a church which didn't install any. Their stated reason on not letting us send the adapter was sanitary concerns which seems ridiculous imo