Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

so if i understand this right, turds are blasted by lasers to be reconstituted into organic matter for the replicators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Space Jam posted:

so if i understand this right, turds are blasted by lasers to be reconstituted into organic matter for the replicators?

i'm sorry you had to find out about your birth this way

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Perfect opportunity to reference the Jimmy Neutron movie which had Patrick Stewart as an alien egg and you fluffed it.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 25, 2024

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

good job explaining to janeway why she can't have her coffee.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm sorry you had to find out about your birth this way

well if i’m already eating reconstituted poop then i guess i don’t mind being made from it

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mr Worf, lock on phasers, full turd cutter pattern.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I love Migleemo lol

I love that he's not a bad guy, he (generally) does his best, but he's just a bit crap

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's very relatable

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Barry Foster posted:

I love Migleemo lol

I love that he's not a bad guy, he (generally) does his best, but he's just a bit crap

That’s why he’s on the Cerritos and not the Titan.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lt. Commander Chicken Lady

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Perfect opportunity to reference the Jimmy Neutron movie which had Patrick Stewart as an alien egg and you fluffed it.

I read Goosebumps, I didn't watch Jimmy Neutron. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Space Jam posted:

Replicators are basically just alchemy machines.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Ferengi often share the myth of the Philosopher's Replicator that can turn poo poo into latinum.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If you could have any posting or position within the Star Trek universe, what do you choose?

I'd like to be some mid level researcher on a science vessel exploring quasars or some such.

Nice and predictable and safe and interesting science...

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I would want to be a grizzled engineer like my hero Chief O'Brien.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

ambassador to one of those sexy planets

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

one of the cool ones though. none of those shitholes with keep off the grass laws or whatever

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Buddy, everyone tries the "become ambassador to Risa" trick.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
put me in engineering, i *probably* won't have to be ordered into an irradiated jeffries tube like what troi had to order holo geordi to do

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

John Murdoch posted:

the only thing of true value in a post-scarcity society

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd be great just being a boring federation civilian. i don't like capitalism and i would like health care.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

artisanal premium bucket maker for changelings

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Clam shucker at Sisko's for me

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

If you could have any posting or position within the Star Trek universe, what do you choose?

I'd like to be some mid level researcher on a science vessel exploring quasars or some such.

Nice and predictable and safe and interesting science...

put me on Planet Shopping Mall where I can be an ensign first class of Arboretum Tech

I’ll put in my 20 years of service in the Fuzzy Sweater Brigade to earn my Holodeck Credits then and retire to a little beach shack on Risa

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Weyoun telling Kai Winn they're very much alike is some real poo poo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'll be one of those brilliant but reclusive scientists with an entire planet to myself, except maybe for a beautiful assistant who may or may not have the hots for me. You know, like Paul Manheim, or Ira Graves, or Flint, or Noonien Soong.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Powered Descent posted:

I'll be one of those brilliant but reclusive scientists with an entire planet to myself, except maybe for a beautiful assistant who may or may not have the hots for me. You know, like Paul Manheim, or Ira Graves, or Flint, or Noonien Soong.

Monkey's paw curls...

Your assistant is actually a noncorporeal entity projecting a physical form like Zefram Cochrane's 'partner.'

Ah, hell, go for, it's what Gene would've wanted.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Ngl I think if we're talking about me now thawing out in DS9 times I think I'd end up making a ton of holoprograms or organizing Holo-roleplay sessions and worlds because I can see people wanting the VR version of an MMORPG and that will need some kind of creative team and administratior, even if it's only one person getting the computer to automate nearly everything.

Edit: If it was me probably some kind of starfleet nerd who works as an archivist or in whatever version of vessel tracking they have. Hell, maybe if I'm good enough I can get hired to do it for some pirates or anti-pirates.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 25, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I would simply choose to be Morn

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I would simply choose to be Morn

:hmmyes:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

redshirt posted:

Security, O'Brien division.

Union man

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What was that dude who only showed up like once in early TNG, a 21st century history expert? Put me in that role so I can gently caress around all day and insert ancient memes into Riker's holo programs.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've always had an incredible memory for dry facts. I'd study to be a ship's chronotemporal disturbance analyst. In other words, when the ship encounters a huge burst of chronitons or whatever, Picard's going to be all like, "Lt. Flag, I need a level three temporal disruption analysis."

I check to make sure my personal chroniton stabilization armband is operational, acknowledge the order, and know I've got four hours (he said level three) to pore through known history and find anything that doesn't fit.

I start with the big stuff: checking the computer records on the formation of Starfleet and joining of member states. Disruption of member states' history often leads to variance (between computer records and my own memory) in when or whether they joined Starfleet, and thanks to my personal stabilization field I shouldn't be affected immediately by any anomaly, at least long enough to pinpoint what went wrong. If I find something, I drill down, isolate the event, report to the bridge informally, and prepare a Space PowerPoint for an official briefing.

If I don't detect anything, I go to art and literature. I hit the high points of Federation members, you know, like all the Teachings of Surak (though if those went awry, I probably would have caught it by now in Vulcan history), Klingon opera's greatest hits, etc., but because I'm doing this all from memory I have to admit I'm focused on Earth culture. I always check for one painter of the 20th century (best known for his other work). For some reason, time travelers love to assassinate him and take his place, doing most of the same terrible things he did, and that doesn't always trip significant disruptions in Starfleet's history per se, but often changes its character or charter.

The worst part of the job is I never know if I've missed something -- not just because I didn't have time in four hours or whatever to chase it down, but what if I was partying hard that night at the Academy when I should have been studying middle Andorian sociopolitical structure? Or what if the records I just used to refresh myself on Orion's contribution to the founding of the Federation were somehow corrupted by a past temporal event I missed -- or that happened before I even started this job? But every time we've found the Federation gone or Starfleet turned into a military dictatorship, we've overcome it by fixing the problem in the past, so that's good enough for me.

Oh yeah, and loving Guinan. Half the time, I'm sweating it out over a stack of PADDs in Picard's ready room trying to articulate what might be wrong with history as everyone else knows it, he's giving me the stink eye because of course Shakespeare wrote Moby-Dick, not realizing this triggered the Industrial Revolution sixty years early, and in she strolls and says something like, "Jean-Luc, this book under glass here that you display...it feels...wrong." And then he's let's get an away team together and slingshot around the sun to the year 1605. Thanks, lady, I was getting there. Not like I want a promotion for more Holodeck time or anything.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'd be a Bridge Seat Warmer. Just sitting in a chair, not touching any controls, until Geordi or Worf or whoever flies the ship that week taps me on the shoulder, and then I glance at them as I walk away and take pride in the little smile I see on their face from a seat warmed to pefection.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Everyone instantly thinks of Risa as the best planet to be ambassador to. But no one thinks of Denobula.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ideally you want to be an ambassador to a planet that has never been mentioned on screen

naem
May 29, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I'd be a Bridge Seat Warmer. Just sitting in a chair, not touching any controls, until Geordi or Worf or whoever flies the ship that week taps me on the shoulder, and then I glance at them as I walk away and take pride in the little smile I see on their face from a seat warmed to pefection.

that’s a good way to get console rocks to the face

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

CainFortea posted:

Everyone instantly thinks of Risa as the best planet to be ambassador to. But no one thinks of Denobula.

poly planet? :whitewater:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Personal Log, Stardate 242598.34
Another good day of collecting data. Nothing really exciting. We had tacos for lunch, that was nice.
Couple more years of this and we'll have a good theoretical framework to model transwarp star formation.

Pickleball tonight on holodeck 2. It's the second round of the playoffs, so, exciting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

What was that dude who only showed up like once in early TNG, a 21st century history expert? Put me in that role so I can gently caress around all day and insert ancient memes into Riker's holo programs.

In TOS they had a ship historian (instantly swooned over Khan and ran off with him) AND a ship sociologist (ditched on the Landru planet; thrilled over domestic violence).