Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Mainwaring posted:

I wonder how many people missed that you could press the sprint button to move the vacuum much faster

It doesn't really feel like it moves much faster, it still feels like a slog.

How much does Dynamic difficulty scale? Like is the first enemy in the game always gonna be a bit of a threat no matter when you encounter them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

It doesn't really feel like it moves much faster, it still feels like a slog.

How much does Dynamic difficulty scale? Like is the first enemy in the game always gonna be a bit of a threat no matter when you encounter them?

Yeah it makes a very small difference. It was the action of moving it more than the speed.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Over the past couple of months, I've replayed/watched the following

OG FF7
Crisis Core Reunion
FF7 Remake + INTERmission
Advent Children

Now I truly venture into darkness

Sneak in a watch of Last Order!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How long is DoC anyway? I don’t remember it being a super long game

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Howlongtobeat says around 13 hours

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's funny how the piano minigame becomes a lot harder if you're doing well, because it suddenly adds a bunch of fancy flourishes that make it harder to hear the right timing.

That aside, the biggest issue I had was mistakenly triggering a key early, which cascades into a disaster because it moves on to the next key afterwards. I think this would usually happen when I played a note and mistakenly moved a bit too far to either side during it, triggering that note as well. That aside, I really like the basic way it works, since it does a better job of mimicking an actual instrument (since it actually can be used as one). It's just that controller joysticks can be finicky.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

playing through crisis core.... so does sephiroth call cloud a puppy in the remake flashback because these SOLDIERs all called zack that lol

Yes (since it's literally Zack he's addressing in the flashback). One thing I liked about the flashback is how Cloud is obviously doing a bunch of Zack's mannerisms that you'd recognize if you played CC, like the squats.

(Not sure about spoiler policy for this stuff, but I'm just referring to OG FF7 stuff here)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Remake's first hours are so drat strong. From all the music hitting that nostalgia, reactor 1 being a really fantastic recreation of the original's then getting hit by Tifa's theme and Seventh Heaven the game really gets its hooks in you. The frame pictures of the original game's version of the bar on the back wall really takes you back.

I'm just blasting through the game on easy using my save from when I last played, which has everything unlocked. Starting every fight with limit break is hilariously broken even if I wasn't playing on Easy. I'm really looking forward to Rebirth, folks. Like drat.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm really looking forward to more of the piano mini game, if only because I have loved the music in this game since, poo poo, 1998? It took me a bit to figure it out because I suck at doing two different things with the sticks at the same time, but also it felt very easy in its own way because it was Tifa's Theme, I knew how it went and I knew what the timing and such was.

The vaccum cleaner thing was weird but let's be honest it's entirely on-brand for Shin-Ra to design and build some stupid giant vaccum with a pointlessly short cord with no extension cord available instead of just fixing the goddamned leaky pipes carrying an extremely valuable but also incredibly dangerous energy source that happens to be the souls of the dead. They don't do sensible. If Shin-Ra was sensible they wouldn't have built Midgar with the incredibly stupid and pointless feature that lets them just drop a loving plate at will. Who decided this was something that needed to be included in the city plans? Hart, looking at you, buddy.

Oh, we were talking about Jenova earlier. They must have figured out that she wasn't an Ancient eventually, if only because at some point they found Ifalna somewhere (where??) and realized that she was human-looking and not a hosed-up amorphous space germ. I don't think anything has actually gone into how/where they found Ifalna, have they? That would be some interesting background for Rebirth to go into, possibly as a part of Buganhagen's exposition at Cosmo Canyon. I feel like he would know about that sort of thing. He and Gast probably corresponded.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
I always just figured Gast met her at Icicle Inn since it's so close to the Northern crater. It really seemed like he tried to keep her existence a secret until Hojo found them out

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I always found it strange that Ifalna was just “there”, but I just assumed she was what was left of a tiny cohort of Ancients that lived in the Icicle region.

I’m 200% sure 7R3 will expand upon that, because it’s a neat tidbit of unexplored lore.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Judging by the official timeline, Gast met Ilfana after he resigned from Shinra because they cut him out of the Jenova research when he started to suspect he hosed up and she wasn't really an Ancient.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Ilfana approached Gast after hearing them say Jenova was an ancient and was just pissed they'd think that morphing bitch was the same as her.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Please God let it be of a level of the infamous Heavy Rain QTE chase gently caress up sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy44s_de15Y

Or Spider-Man failing to defuse the bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngORPZj4wwY

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Marlene and Dyne might also be Ancients, wonder if they're going to go into what's up with that?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
More likely it’d be Marlene’s mom that was the ancient but yeah they seem to be hinting at that more in the remake

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've been blitzing through Remake to get ready for this game. I like a lot of remake but I hate how "on rails" it is so far. Isn't Rebirth going to be a lot more open? If not the world itself, just how you navigate and do things I guess, I'm not sure how to explain it exactly but I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've been blitzing through Remake to get ready for this game. I like a lot of remake but I hate how "on rails" it is so far. Isn't Rebirth going to be a lot more open? If not the world itself, just how you navigate and do things I guess, I'm not sure how to explain it exactly but I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

Yes, Rebirth is massively more open

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also I just defeated Hell House. How much game do I have left? I want to get it done and play when everyone else does when Rebirth comes out. I can play a decent bit tomorrow, but then only like an hour or so a day until Thursday

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're like halfway done :(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Finally finished Intergrade just in time. It was pretty good overall, and wow, they made Yuffie into a fun character, and Sonon was surprisingly good as a red-shirt.

That said, it was extremely video-gamey in that so much of what happened relied on Yuffie and Sonon failing to take any particular action to stop people from doing things. You almost have to assume that Scarlet got a memo from the Whispers telling her she can't die in Part 1 because otherwise it makes no sense that she has so little fear of death. (I mean, arguably the Whispers literally would rescue her from death if it happened in this side-story, but she shouldn't know that.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
agreed that yuffie's lack of agency was grating in the dlc. she was basically being pulled on a string by scarlet to get to the final act

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Finally finished Intergrade just in time. It was pretty good overall, and wow, they made Yuffie into a fun character, and Sonon was surprisingly good as a red-shirt.

That said, it was extremely video-gamey in that so much of what happened relied on Yuffie and Sonon failing to take any particular action to stop people from doing things. You almost have to assume that Scarlet got a memo from the Whispers telling her she can't die in Part 1 because otherwise it makes no sense that she has so little fear of death. (I mean, arguably the Whispers literally would rescue her from death if it happened in this side-story, but she shouldn't know that.)

Eh, from what I remember of Original Game Scarlet, she was very much an "I am invincible!" type of overconfident dumbshit until literally the last second before the Prod Clod exploded out from under her. So her characterization in Intergrade tracks completely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Scarlet is the same woman who chased Tifa onto the Junon Canon and had a slapfight with her. That is 100% IC for her

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, from what I remember of Original Game Scarlet, she was very much an "I am invincible!" type of overconfident dumbshit until literally the last second before the Prod Clod exploded out from under her. So her characterization in Intergrade tracks completely.

Scarlet is to robotics (and military killbots) what Hojo is to biology (and flesh abominations). While she comes off slightly better since her work involves fewer Mengele-esque rape experiments, there's still a shared strain of god complex megalomania

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Scarlet is to robotics (and military killbots) what Hojo is to biology (and flesh abominations). While she comes off slightly better since her work involves fewer Mengele-esque rape experiments, there's still a shared strain of god complex megalomania

Literally everyone but Reeve on Team Shinra is some kind of megalomaniac dumbass and they all pay for their hubris spectacularly. Aside from Palmer, I suppose, because no one gives a poo poo to check in on Palmer once Shinra No.26 fails to stop Meteor. I'm guessing Rufus just immediately fired him, because he's just like loving gone from the game after that.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

nine-gear crow posted:

Literally everyone but Reeve on Team Shinra is some kind of megalomaniac dumbass and they all pay for their hubris spectacularly. Aside from Palmer, I suppose, because no one gives a poo poo to check in on Palmer once Shinra No.26 fails to stop Meteor. I'm guessing Rufus just immediately fired him, because he's just like loving gone from the game after that.

Palmer is gone because he got Isekai'd into the Tea-with-Butter Dimension.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Seriously, ImpAtom, IS. THE TRUCK. STILL THERE?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'll wait to play in order to find out, but the game should be deemed a colossal failure if it isn't, regardless of anything else that happens

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Reeve must be really good at his job if he lasted this long in Shinra surrounded by psychos on all sides.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Reeve does all the utilities, including being the head of the Mako reactors as I understand it, and none of the rest them are interested in anything but their fetishes and self aggrandizement so he's basically a necessary good.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Reeve must be really good at his job if he lasted this long in Shinra surrounded by psychos on all sides.

I'm pretty sure Reeve is responsible for all the domestic products Shinra sells to, like, regular people that actually makes them money in the way normal non-militarized corporations make money. Like Reeve is the guy whose in charge of the division that sells Shinra Sponges and stuff.

I'm also pretty sure he's responsible for all the enemies you fight that are theoretically harmless domestic appliance robots that have malfunctioned and turned murderous like Smoggers. Hell House was probably some prototype low-income housing thing he was working on in Urban Development until the other executives started giving notes like "more indestructible force fields" and "it should have more missile salvos"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

True, it's probably hard to find someone who can take care of that boring day to day stuff and also not constantly say to them "hey guys, maybe we shouldn't murder our own citizens and blow up our own city? Guys....please?"

Asterite34 posted:

I'm also pretty sure he's responsible for all the enemies you fight that are theoretically harmless domestic appliance robots that have malfunctioned and turned murderous like Smoggers. Hell House was probably some prototype low-income housing thing he was working on in Urban Development until the other executives started giving notes like "more indestructible force fields" and "it should have more missile salvos"

Hell House is the result of Reeve taking one(1) sick day and getting Scarlet to agree to cover for him.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 26, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

I'm pretty sure Reeve is responsible for all the domestic products Shinra sells to, like, regular people that actually makes them money in the way normal non-militarized corporations make money. Like Reeve is the guy whose in charge of the division that sells Shinra Sponges and stuff.

It's funny because Palmer is also the head of Shinra's logistics and transportation division, the other rock-solid backbone of Shinra's whole operation, but he's written off as a useless loser because he's a lazy tub of poo poo who only cares about his failed space program.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Asterite34 posted:

That expains his involvement in the Powerwash Simulator crossover.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

It's funny because Palmer is also the head of Shinra's logistics and transportation division, the other rock-solid backbone of Shinra's whole operation, but he's written off as a useless loser because he's a lazy tub of poo poo who only cares about his failed space program.

That's not fair, he cares about other things! Like tea with butter in it, and Wall Market hookers!

e: You know, he might be the only Executive who spends any amount of time literally slumming it under the Plate, he's a man of the people!

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 26, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
reeve is a civil engineer in a c-suite comprised mainly of elon musk/erik prince/latter-day howard hughes hybrids, and also hojo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dsgiJILIsio

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

That's not fair, he cares about other things! Like tea with butter in it, and Wall Market hookers!

e: You know, he might be the only Executive who spends any amount of time literally slumming it under the Plate, he's a man of the people!

I don't know if it's canon to Remake's chronology, but President Shinra also used to to bottomside and cavort with the hookers in Honey Bee Inn. He also had a second bastard kid with someone from the slums: Evan Townsend, who is, curiously, the one short story character aside from Denzel who doesn't show up in Remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Horrifying reminder: Hell House is not a robot.