Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Being prone 100% reduces explosive damage considerably and so if you're being blown up, hit the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been playing with the jump pack on every drop and so the bots are a huge pain in the rear end for me because they have a bunch of ranged attacks, but the bugs are pretty easy because I can always outmaneuver and outrun them then turn around and EAT their face.

Focusing on maneuverability, small arms (stalwart) and minefields otherwise and yeah I can't kill big bugs as easily as everyone else but I can harass like a motherfucker, clear all the chaff, and run away to do an objective or PoI. Pretty easy to peel chargers off the group, lead them to somewhere out of the way and lose them too.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 25, 2024

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

Do dropships have more HP on harder difficulties? Rocket turrets will actually shoot them down in my experience.

Rocket turrets may shoot them down, but the stuff on them survives and it's going to 100% keep trying to shoot down the dropships coming in/going out rather than shooting at, say, the 3 hulks and 2 tanks doing donuts 20m away.

Autocannon/MG turrets do not shoot them down but will keep trying while ignoring everything of consequence (see: stuff they can actually damage) and possibly blasting your team while swinging around between dropships. Which is still better than mortar turrets, which will be murdering the civvies and anyone on your team actually holding against the bots.

The only defense call-in I've actually found useful is the HMG manned turret - that thing can kill anything except the tank and is the one thing I've found can keep up with the spawns... until you run out of ammo (you will rapidly run out of ammo).

Edit: Mines are also fine, honestly. Just make sure you're dropping them in a location your team doesn't need to run through. In an extract chokepoint they can wipe out most of a wave of light/medium bots.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 25, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Yeah, Jump Pack is not super-optimal for bots since the jump doesn't recharge fast enough for it to be a better evasion option than simply doing serpentines. If they aren't taking any fire either, some of the bots can track you perfectly so jumping in that scenario won't actually help you. Comparatively, the Shield Pack is an infinitely better damage mitigation option for bots than the Jump Pack.

Minefields seem to be much more dangerous to your team than the enemy, though they do work better against bugs since all of them want to close distance with you and most can do so relatively quickly. They definitely have their utility, but your average Helldiver does not deploy them well enough to justify the accidental TKs vs. the number of enemies they kill.

Probably the most frustrating thing I see is the idea that there's one universal loadout that's First-Order-Optimal (i.e., it's the best possible loadout) for both bots and bugs. Breaker is fantastic against bugs - less so for bots. But I still see people taking Breakers against bots because meta brainworms dictated that it was "THE BEST" primary before allowing for any sort of nuance like "...against bugs". IMO, Defender and Slugger are better against bots than Breaker because they have actual range, accuracy, and power that you can use to your advantage.

Similarly, as much as I like the Railgun against bots, I think Recoilless and EAT are better options if you're going up against bugs. You can't beat the speed at which those weapons break armor/expose weakpoints on Chargers and Titans, and speed is kind of the name of the game if you're taking on those bugs - multiple railgun shots might take too long to really do anything, and the bugs don't really field enough adversaries with heavier armor to make the railgun a much more utilitarian support option.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mortars will splash anything they drop, but at the cost of likely killing anyone on your team who's using a shotgun at least once per engagement.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Is player armor still broken?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is player armor still broken?

Yes.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Not that I have anything to complain about considering how fun this game is, but I get this itch that a dungeon-like map might be nice, like clearing out bug tunnels inside the tunnel itself or an automaton space-hulk with corridors. Might be fun to blast the flamer in a situation like that, leaning into the Alien theme or 40k Space Hulk.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Just chiming in to confirm that the slugger is loving disgusting against Bots.

It's like a med-armor penetrating DMR.

You can generally 1 tap devastators if you hit the face - which puts it ahead of the JAR Dominator in some respects.

Both guns are otherwise excellent at 1-shotting regular robots, which is important, but the shotgun is a little less unwieldy in some respects and you're trading fire rate (Jar) for overall ease of use and slightly less ammunition and a bit more damage (Slugger).

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I could have sworn blowing up a dropship used to do something. It seems like all the bots recently have just been dropping out anyway and gently landing on their feet like cats. Except for the few that get stuck under the smouldering ship because it crashing also doesn't seem to kill anything anymore either? Am I crazy, or did a downed ship used to kill everything on and under it and now it doesn't?

Edit: Unrelated but had this happen in a rescue mission:

Also I can't wrap my head around the difficulty options. The actual difficulty seems really inconsistent. Fun as heck game tho A++. Hope we get more side arms and one handers and that chargers go extinct.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 25, 2024

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

Probably the most frustrating thing I see is the idea that there's one universal loadout that's First-Order-Optimal (i.e., it's the best possible loadout) for both bots and bugs. Breaker is fantastic against bugs - less so for bots. But I still see people taking Breakers against bots because meta brainworms dictated that it was "THE BEST" primary before allowing for any sort of nuance like "...against bugs". IMO, Defender and Slugger are better against bots than Breaker because they have actual range, accuracy, and power that you can use to your advantage.

You have some options with your primary weapon, tbh. Slugger is good, breaker is good, defender is good. I've had good luck with the JAR-15 Dominator and the markman rifles when doing sneaky stuff - they'll one shot bots and can wipe out a group of guards or small bots on patrol fast from range - avoiding flares or supporting your team. Seen people do pretty well with the default rifle too!

For the secondary there is only one option. The Redeemer is flat out better than the other options.

For stratagems the railgun is the meta for good reason - it can damage *anything* well, it reloads fast, is super accurate, has lots of ammo, and it doesn't take up a backpack slot. You can blow off armor on a charger's leg in 2 quick (safe mode) shots. You can kill a bigass bot turret in a few unsafe charged shots from a very safe distance. You can kill a tank in a couple shots. You can kill hulks in a single shot through the eyeslit or stagger them with *any* hit to slow them down. The high ammo count means you can even use it as a sniper rifle against normal bots. You can even run away and kite stuff while you reload! It does everything well, even if it's not the 100% best at everything. The Recoiless Rifle and Autocannon have style - but they don't do anything much better than the railgun, they each have stuff they simply cannot deal with, reloading hurts your mobility, and you'd have to sacrifice a backpack slot which is entirely unacceptable because...

The shield backpack is the other meta required slot - it significantly increases your durability with zero downsides.

Then you bring some flavor of eagle and orbital (here you also have several viable options - make sure one of them does high single target damage).

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

DarkDobe posted:

Just chiming in to confirm that the slugger is loving disgusting against Bots.

It's like a med-armor penetrating DMR.

this is exactly what I want, a DMR that hits harder, glad I've got it to look forward to

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mrmcd posted:

We need some sort of propaganda campaign for pubbies to teach them to not draw aggro from every goddamn patrol and random wandering charger jfc.

Something like "More kills doesn't mean more XP! Focus on objectives... for democracy!"

I just sneak away like Frodo while the other three go full Boromir. I watch the twinkly red lights shooting into the air from a distance as I silently push the buttons on the objectives.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

JBP posted:

I just sneak away like Frodo while the other three go full Boromir. I watch the twinkly red lights shooting into the air from a distance as I silently push the buttons on the objectives.

Every time I do this (and then complete multiple secondary missions, gather a ton of samples and salute pods, kill a few nests etc before the rest of the team is done with the one single meat grinder) I get kicked as soon as we get back to the ship :(

E: it's still worth it though because these are the same teams that struggle just to complete the main objective and extract and I wouldn't be getting all the extra goodies otherwise. I hope they enjoy having no one dealing with the stalkers and collecting poo poo on their next mission :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 25, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

deep dish peat moss posted:

Every time I do this (and then complete multiple secondary missions, gather a ton of samples and salute pods, kill a few nests etc before the rest of the team is done with the one single meat grinder) I get kicked as soon as we get back to the ship :(

You need to pump up their tyres. Keep em busy lads, I've got the objective!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I do this all the time in my goon groups, and I find it works tremendously well.

Also, this is as true as it was 9 years ago:

quote:

A hot stove sits in the corner, bearing a brass plate with the brand name "Pubbies" riveted into its frame. Having touched this stove in the past and found it to be hot enough to burn your hand, and having witnessed others touching this stove in the past and also burning their hands, how do you choose to proceed?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Mortars will splash anything they drop, but at the cost of likely killing anyone on your team who's using a shotgun at least once per engagement.

Depends on the shotgun. Sluggers can reach out and touch robits at a VERY long range.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I haven't had any problems with pubbies playing this game tbh. Like there are plenty of bad players with meta internet loadouts that just shoot every patrol and trigger hair raising combats every ten seconds, but tbh you're not having the experience if your team aren't a bunch of crazy loose cannons doling out democracy at every opportunity.

Maybe I'm lucky but I've never seen the extraction kick happen. Most pubbies are satisfied as long as you type lol into chat or say what you're up to in voice.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played with a group earlier who did the "throw a strategem as we board the dropship" thing except they threw it WAY too early. Fortunately I was already on but a cluster bomb took out everyone else and the ship left immediately with me the only survivor. :cripes:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Depends on the shotgun. Sluggers can reach out and touch robits at a VERY long range.

Slugger def has merit for sure. Was fearful the auto shotty would make it pointless, buy it def has its own niche. Wish it could carry another full reload though - also may be a good way to make the lower tier pump action appealing

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
My only issue with the slugger is that it's probably the most ammo hungry weapon in the game. For some reason you only get about a third of your ammo reserves back from a resupply pack while with the breaker for example you almost get your entire reserve back.

It's otherwise my favorite primary so far though!

JBP posted:

I haven't had any problems with pubbies playing this game tbh.
Same, though I think this game has the same thing going as with Vermintide/Darktide, where you get much better pubbies on the higher difficulties.

LuiCypher posted:

Similarly, as much as I like the Railgun against bots, I think Recoilless and EAT are better options if you're going up against bugs. You can't beat the speed at which those weapons break armor/expose weakpoints on Chargers and Titans, and speed is kind of the name of the game if you're taking on those bugs - multiple railgun shots might take too long to really do anything, and the bugs don't really field enough adversaries with heavier armor to make the railgun a much more utilitarian support option.
I think the problem with the Recoilless/EAT for bug missions is that on higher difficulties there are a lot of chargers in a big fight, often 3 or more at the same time. With the recoilless you don't have the time to reload it without assist (not to mention getting swarmed by chaff) while with the EAT you'll go through your 2 missiles real quick.

Plus with the railgun if you're on the same page as your teammate you can do this for a quick kill (though unlike me do dodge the ragdoll lol)
https://i.imgur.com/q5dESGu.mp4
Don't get me wrong though, I wish I could take a spear or something instead but the railgun is the only weapon that can reliably deal with so many chargers without running into problems. Helps that it's also good at sniping elite bugs and spewers so it's not just there for AT duty.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Just did my first scratch-run on Challenging - it went well for the most part, but one of the pubbies brought along that orbital strike variant that carpet-bombs like a 50-mile radius around the strike indicator and tk'd half the squad/himself every time he pulled it out. We ended up running out of respawns during extraction and as soon as I saw the strike indicator pop up during that mess I ran for the hills.

Everyone died in the barrage except for me and I was the only one to make it onto the shuttle alive. Thankfully I was the one carrying all the rare samples so nothing of value was lost! :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You don't have to fight any of the chargers, basically ever if you don't want to :colbert:. Just lead them away from the fight and run around a rock or something and they will stop chasing and then stand there stupefied indefinitely.

It works for the big mean mechs too. Just have someone draw their attention (by shooting at them) then lead them away and give them the slip.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I had a funny mission last night doing my level 6 pubbie angel thing where someone picked up the suitcase, took it to a hive, dropped it, then followed me to the drop off with the team. We were there fighting bugs for like three minutes with the clock running low and I finally clocked that nobody was doing the objective. Looked at the map and went "nobody brought the suitcase lol". Someone replied "coooool" and the other kept blasting so I walked across the entire map to get it and walked back.

Another successful mission.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Exodee posted:

Don't get me wrong though, I wish I could take a spear or something instead but the railgun is the only weapon that can reliably deal with so many chargers without running into problems. Helps that it's also good at sniping elite bugs and spewers so it's not just there for AT duty.

It really does seem like the shield backpack + railgun is The Support Stratagem Combo for most situations outside of like, maybe AMR for sniping robot weakpoints?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Warbadger posted:

Rocket turrets may shoot them down, but the stuff on them survives and it's going to 100% keep trying to shoot down the dropships coming in/going out rather than shooting at, say, the 3 hulks and 2 tanks doing donuts 20m away.

AFAIK the rocket turret AI prioritizes the most high threat armored targets instead of shooting at whatever, if there are hulks or tanks in its vision it'll shoot at them over anything else. This also makes them pretty ammo efficient in my experience as they won't waste ammo on chaff that get shotgunned to death in seconds if there's a hulk or titan it can focus on instead.

Shooting down the dropship will also kill the bots but I think that it has to be a good bit before they're low or slow enough to start dropping them off. I've definitely seen my rocket turret shoot down a dropship and kill all of the robots onboard in the process.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dandywalken posted:

Slugger def has merit for sure. Was fearful the auto shotty would make it pointless, buy it def has its own niche. Wish it could carry another full reload though - also may be a good way to make the lower tier pump action appealing

The slugger is amazing for those medium armored bugs like hiveguards. It can stop an entire pack of them in their tracks. I often miss shots against quick moving bots or dodging hunters though, or at zero distance on small targets which is when I'll pull out an automatic weapon. The slugger and stalwart are a good pair for a scout imo.

The slugger just goes right through poo poo, though, and it interrupts animations, too. Stalkers and bile spewer worms can't even get an attack off when you start hitting them with it, it's like their logic just stops dead for a second even mid attack.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The slugger just goes right through poo poo, though, and it interrupts animations, too. Stalkers and bile spewer worms can't even get an attack off when you start hitting them with it, it's like their logic just stops dead for a second even mid attack.

Thats good to know! Breacher doesnt interrupt em I dont think, so thats another selling point.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Tried out the orbital walking barrage + shredder rounds for a change of pace and it's kinda good except the cooldown on it is super long which felt terrible. It's like if the eagle had to rearm after every single airstrike basically.

Kitfox88 posted:

It really does seem like the shield backpack + railgun is The Support Stratagem Combo for most situations outside of like, maybe AMR for sniping robot weakpoints?
Honestly for bugs the railgun is mostly there because of chargers though. If those were tuned differently then I'd be a lot more inclined to pick something else.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Don't stand directly in front of the evac ship when its landing.

Seriously, just don't. :shepface:

I was killed today not by the evac ship directly, but by one of the engine exhausts when it landed while I was being pursued by a Charger.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7339627574361885957

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Had that happen with a supply drop that clipped one engine as it came down and the ship was in a different place for different players. 3 of us were able to run to it and still get in but a fourth wasn't.

Lesson learned, don't drop poo poo that close to the landing area.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

LazyMaybe posted:

anything that pens medium armor can kill hulks to the eye, but unless you can get behind a tank(only sometimes realistic) you're gonna need to hit it with airstrikes or very limited ammo support weapons
So before anyone reads this and gets themselves killed, you'll need at least an autocannon or AMR for hulk heads. Stuff like the AP Liberator, slugger, and MG-43 (all med armour pen guns) do not work.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
The other night I decided I would drop with some pubbies and turned on SOS. Sat in matchmaking for 10-15 minutes and nothing happened. Figured maybe it was just trying to matchmake for the planet I was sitting on so I zoomed all the way out and clicked SOS again. Another 15 minutes later and no connection, I finally turned off the game.

This was after I had tried to start my own public mission and waited 10 minutes to get others to join me and no one did. Which was weird because when the servers were melting down I was getting people to join with zero issues at all.

Matchmaking is weird.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

E: it's still worth it though because these are the same teams that struggle just to complete the main objective and extract and I wouldn't be getting all the extra goodies otherwise. I hope they enjoy having no one dealing with the stalkers and collecting poo poo on their next mission :colbert:

playing with so many random people you run into stuff like this. I usually have the least kills out of anyone but the highest accuracy because I get 80% of the side objectives, samples and bigger enemies with strategem but randos who want to go Rambo First Blood on every patrol until the enemies stop spawning think that I am doing something wrong by only killing 200 enemies to their 500. I'll be through a 10 hole heavy nest, a spore tower and have 20+ samples including the supers while they are still fighting the drop point's 4 bug breaches and 4+ titans for literally no reason.

I get a lot of negative commentary in the game lobbies over killcount because none of them understand the game is about completing objectives and acquiring specific things. If we lose 25 green samples, 20 orange samples and 6 purple samples because the idiots used our reinforcement budget fighting over a worthless ravine 5 miles from any objective then having huge killcounts doesn't really matter anymore.

Other things i've seen

- People kicked over most shots fired because the host wanted to stealth helldive bot maps, was under the impression you could go undetected forever somehow
- People kicked over least kills (me repeatedly)
- People kicked when they refuse to listen to the host demanding specific loadouts (also me repeatedly since I'm not just going to carry a supply pack for The Main Character Host when they demand it)

Rectal Death Alert fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 26, 2024

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Insert name here posted:

So before anyone reads this and gets themselves killed, you'll need at least an autocannon or AMR for hulk heads. Stuff like the AP Liberator, slugger, and MG-43 (all med armour pen guns) do not work.
However from testing the arc thrower I think that one does work? I think I zapped a hulk around 6-8 times (most of the zaps not even hitting the head) and it keeled over dead. Makes me wonder if it can handle chargers as well, but I gotta try it out some more.

Pro-tip with the arc thrower, you don't need to fully charge it to fire off a shot. If you get the timing right you can really go ham with it (though look out for nearby teammates of course!)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The arc bypasses all armour or something. You can hurt everything but yeah it takes some time.

If I'm taking robots seriously I don't deploy without 110s and an AC. The AC is amazing at blowing up weak spots and shooting out eye slots for fast kills.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rectal Death Alert posted:

- People kicked over most shots fired because the host wanted to stealth helldive bot maps, was under the impression you could go undetected forever somehow
- People kicked over least kills (me repeatedly)
- People kicked when they refuse to listen to the host demanding specific loadouts (also me repeatedly since I'm not just going to carry a supply pack for The Main Character Host when they demand it)

I can't believe that people even look at those stats, let alone care about them. Side effect of giving one person sole kicking privileges for a match I guess, gives them a God complex.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Charger legs are surprisingly vulnerable to small arms fire after their charge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWiUwksefQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can't get a new general order til the defense maps are done

Can't get the defense order done because they maps are annoying to do, leading to low participation.

Low participation means that those who try to force a win do so in vain because the planet falls anyways.

Planets falling despite the efforts of those actually trying to win means we can't get the defense order done.

It'll just time out into failure eventually but hopefully the devs change it so that we only need to defend one or two planets per order rather than a week. Server issues are one thing but most people are just grinding out bugs because it's easier.

e. Like if I wanted to put my nose to the grindstone again for these missions then I would look at this map and ask why I would even bother.

it also doesnt help that you can farm the evacuation missions for common and rare samples

Kly fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 26, 2024