Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

So why are they taking this line? I can't imagine they (or their editors) are pro-Trump or pro-NATO.

I had the same thought, but China Daily seems to be pro-peace and maybe they're just trying promote a sort of status quo?

Skios posted:

I... I really don't get this one. There is literally no reason shown for the person on the right to be running away screaming from... what looks like just an ordinary genie's lamp?

The smoke's a question mark for what it's worth. A monkey's paw would've worked better but genie's also tend to grant wishes with a catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
A genie is a common metaphor in AI circles. Like a monkeys paw, it can grant wishes that go horribly wrong. However, with a genie there's typically the idea that if you word the wish exactly right, you can get what you want with no downside. This maps onto the idea of AI alignment, which studies how to very carefully build AI so that it doesn't go wrong

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Shut the gently caress up Fishman.

The only times I have heard of something anything like that happening went: *celebrity chef shows how to prepare something like jerk chicken or pad thai* *members of that community laugh at them for doing it so wrong* *they take their ball and go home and whine about woke cancel culture to the nearest chud media*

Yeah, the actual issue is much more complex than "White person cooks food from another culture".

It starts with "White people typically have a far easier time getting loans, permits and other things needed to start a restaurant"
And then you get "Restaurant owner takes authentic dishes, bastardizes them while still selling them as authentic"
And then adds in "Hires people from those cultures who can cook the authentic version to cook the bastardize version while underpaying and overworking them."

While there are a handful of people who will complain about the wrong person cooking the wrong food, they are a tiny minority, many of which aren't exactly arguing in good faith.

They real issue is that it's another form of cultural exploitation, being performed by wealthy, not by the chefs themselves regardless of their own culture.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 25, 2024

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Kaza42 posted:

A genie is a common metaphor in AI circles. Like a monkeys paw, it can grant wishes that go horribly wrong. However, with a genie there's typically the idea that if you word the wish exactly right, you can get what you want with no downside. This maps onto the idea of AI alignment, which studies how to very carefully build AI so that it doesn't go wrong

There's also the idiom of "putting the genie back in the bottle," which is where a lot of anti-AI people get stuck that they want to make AI tech no longer feasible when it's already established

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Guavanaut posted:

So why are they taking this line? I can't imagine they (or their editors) are pro-Trump or pro-NATO.

It's part of their narrative about the general, inevitable futility of democratic and societies.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

NATO functions on confidence. Amplifying the doubts members have about Trump undermines NATO.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Guavanaut posted:

I think they are anti-trump, and they believe their target audience is pro-Nato.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Hey, speaking of people who aren't exactly arguing in good faith, it's time once more for

And now the power of Zionism... makes... Biden sniff you? Don't worry, this metaphor is only going to get stupider as the week continues.

Also Biden caused COVID. With the power of the Jews. Just putting that out there.

My eyes are rolling so hard right now that I think I may have injured myself.

You already used this joke less than a week ago, you loving hack!

And here's where we learn that all of this happened because Elon Musk refused to be sufficiently antisemitic. I mean, clearly he was antisemitic, just not enough.

Now, see, representing the hobbits as Palestine is exactly the kind of metaphor you could have used to make a point here, if they weren't already America and also wasn't this storyline about Heaven? Remember that, the whole Heaven thing?

Aaaaand I guess the Jews are orcs now. Sure. (Of course, we've also seen these people as themselves just a few weeks ago but who even cares at this point.)

Pettyfest

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah "Mordor has a right to defend itself" could be a good line if it were coming from anyone other than someone whose nuanced views on Israel are "lot of Jews there, I hear *spits*"

idonotlikepeas posted:

Also Biden caused COVID. With the power of the Jews. Just putting that out there.
no, no, he caused vaccines. With the power of the Jews. COVID isn't real and the vaccines are what kill everyone every winter. Especially the winter before there was a vaccine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Skios posted:

I... I really don't get this one. There is literally no reason shown for the person on the right to be running away screaming from... what looks like just an ordinary genie's lamp?

The person on the left is a corporate suit with high hopes from AI. The man on the right is an average joe scared of the mystery that is going to emerge.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Guavanaut posted:

no, no, he caused vaccines. With the power of the Jews. COVID isn't real and the vaccines are what kill everyone every winter. Especially the winter before there was a vaccine.

Yeah, don't forget that "COVID is just a nasty cold" to them, and the vaccines are just an excuse to inject us with 5g nanobots to turn us trans and gay.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Broelman:

Golding:

The vast majority of asylum seekers to Australia come by plane; the "I stopped these" boat trophy was a thing that Scott Morrison kept in his office.

Spooner:

Leunig:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Hey, speaking of people who aren't exactly arguing in good faith, it's time once more for

So I'm lurking just to watch this trashfire as a trans woman who used to read this comic and now revels in this motherfucker's misery but I just want to say as someone who read a ton of old webcomics that were contemporary to this one: congrats on, somehow, managing to do a worse take of "literally retelling LOTR" than Least I Could Do did.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Finally, giving up, the fox turned up his nose and said, "they're probably sour anyway," and proceeded to walk away.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

I dont know who is worst, Prickly City or Leunig for mistaking trite bullshit for profundity.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's a cartoon I might have made when I was 15. It's not wrong, there's just no reason for it to exist

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I dont know posted:

I dont know who is worst, Prickly City or Leunig for mistaking trite bullshit for profundity.

Leunig. Nobody involved in the creation of Prickly City actually cares about its content. Leunig does.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Having listened to all of Taylor Swift's discography this past week to try to understand why she's quite that popular, I get not getting it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I'll go to bat for 1989, Folklore, and Evermore at the very least.

Hostile V posted:

So I'm lurking just to watch this trashfire as a trans woman who used to read this comic and now revels in this motherfucker's misery but I just want to say as someone who read a ton of old webcomics that were contemporary to this one: congrats on, somehow, managing to do a worse take of "literally retelling LOTR" than Least I Could Do did.

This is really harsh, but on the other hand you're not wrong.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

“The rubbish that is written...” - A Political Cartoonist

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Right-wingers may sound reasonable at the start, but are quick to expose themselves as monsters the more you listen. AGC.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Phlegmish posted:

It's a cartoon I might have made when I was 15. It's not wrong, there's just no reason for it to exist

Eh, he is patting himself on the back and declaring he has special insight for not liking something popular. Which is sort of pathetic under most circumstances but comical so when it's an eighty year old man taking inordinate pride in not liking pop music targeted at children and teenagers.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is a man who's read every single Calvin and Hobbes strip and understood zero of them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Depiction of TV Static

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Don't let them pretend for a second that cranks like Leunig trying to make a deep point about the shallowness of modern music were not themselves fully hooked by the mass marketed tunes of their day. :v: It's also bad form to gripe that people enjoy things. Who would be so shallow as to... go to a concert in their lifetime?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'll go to bat for 1989, Folklore, and Evermore at the very least.

This is really harsh, but on the other hand you're not wrong.

1989 is the best example of her work. Folklore the best thing she’s done. Lover was my favorite but none of it felt like it merited the phenomenon she is.

Gonna listen to Beyoncé now since she seems to be the best comparison.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hostile V posted:

Is it worse than when User Friendly hamfistedly made it about Linux somehow?

EDIT: The Least I Could Do one, I mean.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

So hey, fun fact: Bilbo's 111th birthday was Frodo's 33rd birthday, and there was a pretty good amount of time before he set out for Rivendell. This isn't a kid. This is a well-to-do landowner in his mid-30s who is getting his hair sniffed here.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ZeeToo posted:

So hey, fun fact: Bilbo's 111th birthday was Frodo's 33rd birthday, and there was a pretty good amount of time before he set out for Rivendell. This isn't a kid. This is a well-to-do landowner in his mid-30s who is getting his hair sniffed here.

It is kind of spectacular how in basically every case Tats manages to fail to understand the source material and then butchers his analogies.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ZeeToo posted:

In the book, 17 years pass between the time Gandalf leaves and comes back, so Frodo is 50 years old when he takes off for Rivendell.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hostile V posted:

Post avatar combo. I’d recognize Jon Allison’s style anywhere.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

A political cartoon named “tupping liberty”.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Amjad Rasmi

Clay Bennett

Drew Sheneman

Matt Davies

NEMØ

Looks like it's a series about People We Should Care About Instead of Navalny. This time around, Julian Assange, who, I'll note, is not actually dead. Holding a literal red pill, which I guess makes sense, since Assange is also a rapist. Gee, I wonder why that isn't on his little bio card here? Do I need to point out the irony of someone who conceals their identity posting praise of Julian Assange?

Randall Enos

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
"What's the best way to depict my nation's virtuous war? I know, I'll draw a soldier aiming a rifle at a group of unarmed, surrendering people."

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

War harms world peace by Shi Yu

woah man.. if you think about it... if there wasn't all this War... there would be Peace. holy poo poo

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Angepain posted:

woah man.. if you think about it... if there wasn't all this War... there would be Peace. holy poo poo

China Daily's comics tend to have very Nothing statements, but this one is Especially Nothing. You could get more thought provoking commentary from Speak, the Hungarian Rapper.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Neito posted:

Is it worse than when User Friendly hamfistedly made it about Linux somehow?

EDIT: The Least I Could Do one, I mean.
I never read User Friendly but it literally was just retelling the LOTR movies with Rayne in place of Aragorn because he has a dream where he wakes up having to play the role inside the films. What I do remember is him being really thrilled to hook up with Arwen which, poo poo alright fair, and a lot of cheap jokes about how he's irreverent and being snarky about the plot.

Oh also I learned fairly recently there was an arc in 2017 where one of Rayne's previous hookups transitioned and the entire arc was like "hey I'd like to get to know the real you, also I support trans rights" and flipping through it, the comic's heart is in the right place (note: it is also extremely LICD, so like, yeah) and like gently caress me the LICD guys are out there supporting trans people, the LICD people, the bar is in hell, Tats!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

wizzardstaff posted:

"What's the best way to depict my nation's virtuous war? I know, I'll draw a soldier aiming a rifle at a group of unarmed, surrendering people."

Not to mention that the actual, literal message of the comic is “actually everyone agrees with everything we do they’re just afraid of doing so publicly”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

ZeeToo posted:

Tats just really needs to draw children being sexually harassed, he just needs to, it's important. Why are you even questioning this. Blocked.