Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I need for trump to keep losing his filters and talking about black people and immigrants out loud as i give my most soul-dead gaze over the tops of my glasses to the people trying to tell me he's the harm reduction candidate

Bonus points if we get him blabbering about anyone who ain't straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kanos posted:

The first half of the original post that you first quoted has me acknowledging that even if you addressed the material concerns of Trump voters, they would simply move the goalposts, which is functionally admitting that material concerns are not the primary motivation of the people in question.

Material concerns are, however, a really good smokescreen cover for more publicly unpalatable or unacceptable beliefs. They're also a really good way to attract people who might not initially share your awful beliefs to give you a hearing.

Except, as has now been stated three times, that's not actually attracting people. You are the only person falling for the "smokescreen" in question.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Material concerns and racism are not mutually exclusive motivating forces.

If you look at the demographics of trump supporters they're mostly relatively well off, older people who also are for some reason or other disappointed with their lives and economic situation. They often shouldn't be, but that doesn't make their sense of grievance less real, only less justified, which is not the same thing.

People who have actual problems tend to be less likely to fall for bullshit solutions and prefer real attempts to address their problems. People who are whining about fake problems are more likely to fall for con artists peddling fake solutions.

None of this is particularly counterintuitive or surprising. Of course trump supporters are wealthy racist morons. Just think of every trump supporter you've ever met. They all think the whole world is against them for all kinds of bullshit reasons because the alternative is admitting that everyone hates them because they're giant assholes who deserve hatred. Obama didn't make your kids stop talking to you, you did, but it's a lot easier to blame Obama than yourself.

Kanos posted:

. They're also a really good way to attract people who might not initially share your awful beliefs to give you a hearing.

Yeah, addressing material concerns is prophylaxis and prevention, not cure, for fascism. It also, you know, helps people, which is nice.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 25, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not going to post the link for obvious reasons, but a US servicemember in uniform set himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy in DC

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m not going to post the link for obvious reasons, but a US servicemember in uniform set himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy in DC

Username post combo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The cops drew guns on him while on fire lmao

quote:

Law enforcement responded, putting out the fire with three fire extinguishers. Law enforcement also drew a gun on the burning man during the incident.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

skin was becoming black, making him an active threat to the officers

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Woof my dude. You ain't wrong though.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

Perfect. No notes.

Also a creepy reminder of how pointing weapons is just the default response by so many chud cops. If these guys are called to help in dealing with a house fire they'd be shooting at the loving flames.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The sorry truth is that almost no one on this planet is actually driven, politicallt, by material concerns in any real way, nor have they ever been, and the idea itself is sort of ludicrous if you've ever had to actually deal with people. The ones who are are the rich and powerful folks who you really would rather weren't (and even for them the material concerns are actually surprisingly secondary often enough)

It has pretty much never been anything but a fig leaf.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

The sorry truth is that almost no one on this planet is actually driven, politicallt, by material concerns in any real way, nor have they ever been, and the idea itself is sort of ludicrous if you've ever had to actually deal with people. The ones who are are the rich and powerful folks who you really would rather weren't (and even for them the material concerns are actually surprisingly secondary often enough)

The French and Russian Revolutions were pretty explicitly about material concerns…

e: Chinese Revolution too. And also the American Revolution. To say nothing of all the historical wars of conquest that were about grabbing resources or securing borders or preemptively striking against a threatening adversary.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 26, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

C. Everett Koop posted:

Feels like a thread title

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Majorian posted:

The French and Russian Revolutions were pretty explicitly about material concerns…

Yeah. Politics when you're starving are always materialistic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Discendo Vox posted:

Except, as has now been stated three times, that's not actually attracting people. You are the only person falling for the "smokescreen" in question.

I'm not honestly sure why you're coming at me here. What do you think I believe that you're arguing so fervently against? You've already tried to pin a belief I stated the opposite of on me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kanos posted:

I'm not honestly sure why you're coming at me here. What do you think I believe that you're arguing so fervently against? You've already tried to pin a belief I stated the opposite of on me.

The problem is the thing you're saying you believe the opposite of is the thing I quoted you saying.

Kanos posted:

I do think that basic human economic concerns are a huge part of why fascist rhetoric works as well as it does, though. Claiming that you're poor and miserable because The Enemy is keeping you down and promising that if they support you you'll lead them against The Enemy is the classic approach for a reason.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

:golfclap:

His name is Aaron Bushnell

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Majorian posted:

e: Chinese Revolution too. And also the American Revolution. To say nothing of all the historical wars of conquest that were about grabbing resources or securing borders or preemptively striking against a threatening adversary.

The only real "material concern" to play a major role in the American Revolution was opposition to the abolition of slavery, which along with your other examples just supports my point that the people making political decisions for material concern reasons tend to be the last ones you'd want doing it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/maitelsadany/status/1761959049568940188?s=20

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Perfect. No notes.

Also a creepy reminder of how pointing weapons is just the default response by so many chud cops. If these guys are called to help in dealing with a house fire they'd be shooting at the loving flames people escaping.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GlyphGryph posted:

The only real "material concern" to play a major role in the American Revolution was opposition to the abolition of slavery, which along with your other examples just supports my point that the people making political decisions for material concern reasons tend to be the last ones you'd want doing it.

Please don't erase the crushing material concerns of paying for the little war with France we set off. The outrageous taxation to pay for our own actions could not stand!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

The only real "material concern" to play a major role in the American Revolution was opposition to the abolition of slavery,

Not true at all. "No taxation without representation" was one of the rallying cries of the uprising. New taxes levied to pay for the UK's military budget was one of the major causes of the war.

Also, it hopefully goes without saying, opposition to the abolition of slavery had a significant material component to it.

quote:

which along with your other examples just supports my point that the people making political decisions for material concern reasons tend to be the last ones you'd want doing it.

I was responding to your claim here:

GlyphGryph posted:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 26, 2024

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Majorian posted:

Not true at all. "No taxation without representation" was one of the rallying cries of the uprising. New taxes levied to pay for the UK's military budget was one of the major causes of the war.

Outside of Massachusetts, those cries were perfunctory at best. After the Stamp Act Congress had achieved its goal of influencing repeal, just about everyone else would have been willing to grumble a bit what came next had not Parliament overreacted and sent more troops to Boston, closed the port down, and called in the Massachusetts colonial charter to be re-written. It's only after that point that the rest of New England and progressively the rest of the colonies moved closer and closer to a break with Britain.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Outside of Massachusetts, those cries were perfunctory at best. After the Stamp Act Congress had achieved its goal of influencing repeal, just about everyone else would have been willing to grumble a bit what came next had not Parliament overreacted and sent more troops to Boston, closed the port down, and called in the Massachusetts colonial charter to be re-written. It's only after that point that the rest of New England and progressively the rest of the colonies moved closer and closer to a break with Britain.

Those are all material factors leading up to the war, though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Majorian posted:

Also, it hopefully goes without saying, opposition to the abolition of slavery had a significant material component to it.

"No taxation without representation wasn't a material issue, it was an issue of political power distribution. The problem wasn't that the taxes were hurting their material conditions, the problem was that they believed that the distant Parliament they held no representation fundamentally did not have the right to impose any taxes on them at all. As Samuel Adams put it:

quote:

For if our Trade may be taxed why not our Lands? Why not the Produce of our Lands & every thing we possess or make use of? This we apprehend annihilates our Charter Right to govern & tax ourselves – It strikes our British Privileges, which as we have never forfeited them, we hold in common with our Fellow Subjects who are Natives of Britain: If Taxes are laid upon us in any shape without our having a legal Representation where they are laid, are we not reduced from the Character of free Subjects to the miserable State of tributary Slaves?

Their objection was not "these taxes are hurting our material conditions", it was "taxes we can't vote against might as well be slavery". It was a disagreement over who should have the political power to impose taxes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Majorian posted:

Those are all material factors leading up to the war, though.

They are not. There was no material impact of most of that on the people who agitated for and eventually convinced the colonies to revolt, or on the individuals who fought the war.

Even then, the cry wasn't "No taxation!", it was "No taxation without representation!" - That is not a material conditions warcry, that is a political representation warcry. That is jockeying for power and influence, it has nothing to do with people needing to feed their families or hoping for better material conditions as a result. They hated the tax because it was insulting and disempowering far more than they hated it costing them money (although they certainly weren't happy about that).

Majorian posted:

Yes, perhaps you should read the whole paragraph where I said the few people are driven by material concerns and the ones who are tend to be the wealthy and powerful? But even then, they don't convince the rank and file to die for them on basic material concerns, they use shame and status and nationalism and religion and especially spite, a whole lot of spite, and all sorts of things that the common folk actually care about. When have they ever sold a war on "and when we conquer this territory, you'll all be a lot richer!"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
A much more actual material condition was British resistance to allow settlers to continue to venture further west, into the continent's interior, to avoid further wars with native americans

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think “material conditions” can be a confusing term in a conversation like this.

Y’all should define it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

"No taxation without representation wasn't a material issue, it was an issue of political power distribution. The problem wasn't that the taxes were hurting their material conditions, the problem was that they believed that the distant Parliament they held no representation fundamentally did not have the right to impose any taxes on them at all. As Samuel Adams put it:

Their objection was not "these taxes are hurting our material conditions", it was "taxes we can't vote against might as well be slavery". It was a disagreement over who should have the political power to impose taxes.

What you're describing still boils down to "who has control over things like taxes and tariffs that directly affect our material conditions (ie: our profits)," though. Whether or not those taxes were actually ruinous to the merchant or planter classes is irrelevant; they didn't rebel over lofty ideals like all men being created equal. They rebelled because they wanted a freer hand to do business.

We are getting lost in the weeds, however. If people here don't like the example of the American Revolution, fine, I withdraw it. I'd like to know how the people involved in the French, Russian, and Chinese Revolutions weren't driven by material concerns.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes, perhaps you should read the whole paragraph where I said the few people are driven by material concerns and the ones who are tend to be the wealthy and powerful?

I read your whole post. Your claims strike me as completely ahistorical, though. The mob of Paris or the 1917 bread riots in St. Petersburg were not led by the wealthy and powerful; they were led by the starving poor, who were very much driven by material conditions.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Exactly right. "Economic anxiety" is just another word for what they perceive as a misalignment of the inevitable hierarchy of things. One of the core tenets of the fascist mindset is that the world consists of natural hierarchies that we should embrace rather than resist. This definitely includes racial, religious, and gender pecking orders and poor white fascists see themselves as victims of a system actively favoring minorities via unfairly granting them advantages. This is why they hate "welfare queens" while collecting welfare themselves. They deserve the welfare. Those filthy [insert minority here] don't.

Ah the best is when they are so consumed by the ideology that they refuse to request or take assistance because "we aren't those kind of people". While their family suffers ... to own the libs I guess?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

as a politician you never want to be seen as the killing women and children candidate. voters don't like that kind of thing in my experience. when voters light themselves on fire to protest your policies perhaps you need to rethink what you are doing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GlyphGryph posted:

They are not. There was no material impact of most of that on the people who agitated for and eventually convinced the colonies to revolt, or on the individuals who fought the war.

Even then, the cry wasn't "No taxation!", it was "No taxation without representation!" - That is not a material conditions warcry, that is a political representation warcry. That is jockeying for power and influence, it has nothing to do with people needing to feed their families or hoping for better material conditions as a result. They hated the tax because it was insulting and disempowering far more than they hated it costing them money (although they certainly weren't happy about that).

For what it’s worth, you’re fundamentally misunderstanding how “no taxation without representation” was understood in its day. It was intended and understood to be an argument that the Crown had no legal authority to tax the colonies, not a rhetorical basis to gain representation.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

For what it’s worth, you’re fundamentally misunderstanding how “no taxation without representation” was understood in its day. It was intended and understood to be an argument that the Crown had no legal authority to tax the colonies, not a rhetorical basis to gain representation.

I do actually understand that representation wasnt actually the goal of anyone involved.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

C. Everett Koop posted:

Tiny Timbs posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

wet_goods posted:

Username post combo

very well done people

much like aaron

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GlyphGryph posted:

I do actually understand that representation wasnt actually the goal of anyone involved.

Then you understand that it is not a political representation warcry, or at least not primarily so.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

downout posted:

Ah the best is when they are so consumed by the ideology that they refuse to request or take assistance because "we aren't those kind of people". While their family suffers ... to own the libs I guess?

It has nothing to do with owning the libs. It's part of our deeply ingrained and hosed up obsession with the protestant work ethic and respectability. They'd rather starve and die than take a hand out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Discendo Vox posted:

The problem is the thing you're saying you believe the opposite of is the thing I quoted you saying.

You keep ignoring the first half of the post you're quoting.

Kanos posted:

Oh, trust me, I largely agree with you. I'm not trying to make the case that if we just suddenly instituted UBI or something it would instantly solve bigotry, because it won't - the issue will then shift to "well the UBI checks of REAL AMERICANS could be bigger if it weren't for all those illegals leeching off the system" or some poo poo.

If I believed that Trumpists support Trump primarily because of economic anxiety, I wouldn't have said outright that addressing their economic anxiety directly would have no actual effect.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Majorian posted:

What you're describing still boils down to "who has control over things like taxes and tariffs that directly affect our material conditions (ie: our profits)," though. Whether or not those taxes were actually ruinous to the merchant or planter classes is irrelevant; they didn't rebel over lofty ideals like all men being created equal. They rebelled because they wanted a freer hand to do business.

We are getting lost in the weeds, however. If people here don't like the example of the American Revolution, fine, I withdraw it. I'd like to know how the people involved in the French, Russian, and Chinese Revolutions weren't driven by material concerns.

By that definition, any political reforms by definitions are also material conditions reforms, because increasing a group's political power also increases their ability to push for policies affecting their material conditions.

In the French and Russian Revolutions, material conditions were actually a side issue: the primary focus of both revolutions was around dismantling social and political barriers, typically a backlash against the extremely rigid class structures of feudalism. Cultural developments and changing economic patterns had rendered those rigid class systems increasingly outdated and obsolete, but the social elite clung fiercely to those privileges and barriers (and the political dominance they held as a result) even as the populace became increasingly dissatisfied with them, and poor performance in wars gave the populace a strong sense that reforming the state was desperately needed to fend off foreign foes. In both cases, material conditions helped to push things over the edge, but both countries had been substantially unstable for years beforehand as the various classes fought over the various inherited privileges and obligations of various classes in society. They'd been teetering on the edge of political collapse, and wars and famines were just that last push to nudge them over the edge and cause the cracks in their political system to burst open.

In China, as far as I can tell, the initial 1911 revolution was primarily motivated by ethnic resentment against the Manchu elite and nationalistic resentment against foreign involvement in China, as well as a reaction to the failure of various attempts at political reform.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It was intended and understood to be an argument that the Crown had no legal authority to tax groups that were not represented in Parliament. It wasn't just a rejection of taxes, it was a rejection of Parliamentary authority that did not come hand in hand with political power of their own. It's certainly true that neither side seems to have seriously thought that having the American colonies represented in Parliament was actually practical, which was presumably part of why the Americans never really demanded representation and the British never bothered to offer it. But the colonies were, by that point, feeling that they were politically subordinate to Britain (and particularly that the American elite were subordinate to the British elite) and substantially resented it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You said:

Kanos posted:

I do think that basic human economic concerns are a huge part of why fascist rhetoric works as well as it does, though.

This has been demonstrated to be false. At best, you have constructed a way of justifying a policy shift that is already independent of reality, and made a claim that is both false and unfalsifiable by presenting it in terms of the opposing element's rhetoric. It's less than worthless; it's actively, knowingly internalizing the false framing of a lie.

In order for your claim that the rhetoric works to be valid, the thing you have already asserted was true, then had disproven, repeatedly, then acknowledged was false, to be true. fascist supporters do not see themselves in terms of, are not appealed to in terms of, do not respond to rhetorics in terms of, the economic amelioration that the Democrats are already offering.

edit: god drat it, let's try a fifth loving time.

You said:

Kanos posted:

I do think that basic human economic concerns are a huge part of why fascist rhetoric works as well as it does, though.

This has been demonstrated to be false. The people who associate with fascists do not do so on the basis of such rhetoric, and are not actually impacted by the economic arguments in question. This has been demonstrated repeatedly, and in the first half of the post you keep alluding to, you already acknowledged it. By internalizing the idea that this element of the rhetoric is a part of what makes it effective, you construct a scenario where there is a fascist appeal rooted in economic arguments, which means that actual arguments about economic policies offered by either fascists or by Democrats stop being relevant; your argument becomes false (because it misrepresents the actual basis of the fascist appeal), and unfalsifiable (because it cannot be corrected by reference to actual policies or outcomes). It also internalizes the fascist framing of economics as a function of status, the very conspiratorial redirection you identified. It is doing this despite already acknowledging that the fascist does not care about actual policy. It's internally incoherent and detached from reality on every level. You are saying "I know this isn't how it works, but it's how it works," and simultaneously, "I know they are lying, but they are telling the truth."

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 26, 2024