Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lots of good thread titles. I vote for the house always wins.

Everyone should have a $20 endoscope I've used min e to help fish wire... To help look in walls etc.. they're cheap get one.

Re modular couches... Just got a home reserve one and finished assembly tomorrow. It's not as easy to move around and flexible as the sac but it was way less. Obviously jury is out on use and wear.. frame is 10 year warrantied, and is made out of multiple pieces of 1/2" OSB. It was about 1/2 the cost of the same thing in a basic love sac without any fancy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I gave up on overthinking it, I did a little bit more research and it's going to be hard to beat the Ikea model we were looking at before, so we're just gonna go with the Ikea Kivik.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Everyone should have a $20 endoscope I've used min e to help fish wire... To help look in walls etc.. they're cheap get one.

I'm going to again plug my $19 favorite: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you plug it into a windows or mac laptop and open the camera app you will be ready to go. No crazy drivers or sketchy apps. It works the same on standard USB OTG camera apps for phones, but since that's a minefield I'm not getting into it. Just take away that this presents as a generic "USB camera" that even windows xp can figure out, as they all should be.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So how accurate are the horror stories about gophers and foundations/plumbing? I don't care about the lawn factor. I'm more on the live and let live side when it comes to animals outside of the house, but it's hard to tell what is accurate and what is fear mongering / exterminator business / repeated "wisdom."

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have... never heard a gopher horror story related to foundation or plumbing. Only to gardens and lawns.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

GlyphGryph posted:

I have... never heard a gopher horror story related to foundation or plumbing. Only to gardens and lawns.

I paid a gopher peanuts as a deposit to pour a slab for me once. Bastard ate them and hosed right off.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

StormDrain posted:

What kind of fixtures are they? Is this just a bunch of shop lights screwed to the ceiling and plugged into ceiling outlets? If so you may consider just swapping the whole fixture. Your questions indicate that you've done the research but perhaps overlooked the obvious solution.

https://www.costco.com/feit-4000-lumen-shop-light%2c-2-pack.product.4000101066.html

I bought five packs of these last year for my garage and basement and I'm a big fan.

Mine are all dual-bulb fixtures hardwired in via romex, so no dice. Thanks though!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Is this what it looks like and the reason my house has such bad water pressure?

This is a few feet from where the water first comes into my house in the basement.

Kinda depends on how the rest of the house is plumbed. If it drops down to the same size as that small section almost immediately after entering the house, no. If the main lines within your house are the same size as the larger sections of that pipe, it could certainly contribute to the low pressure issues, though I'd be surprised if that section was the entire issue. Certainly possible though - depends on how much corrosion is in there. If the piping inside your house matches the larger size I'd replace that section personally.

Senor P. posted:

Without getting into the nitty gritty details, pressure is essentially constant.

But...
looking at that

I cannot tell if it is going from 3/4" to 1/2"
or if it is 3/4" to 1/4"

Getting it fixed might help.

Or you might have low pressure.
You can get a pressure gauge and affix to a sink or elsewhere and see what kind of pressure you have inside...

Pressure is not at all essentially constant. City water pressure supply to your house will vary (the rare exception being you live beside the water tower or booster station). Pressure drop differences is the reason the tap with the shortest piping run to your household supply will have the best flow/pressure, while the one with the longest pipe run will have the worst flow/pressure (barring additional expansion tanks or a recirculation system, which changes things). It's why opening up the furthest tap doesn't have as big an effect on the water pressure/flow of the closest tap as opening one right next to it would.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Motronic posted:

I'm going to again plug my $19 favorite: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you plug it into a windows or mac laptop and open the camera app you will be ready to go. No crazy drivers or sketchy apps. It works the same on standard USB OTG camera apps for phones, but since that's a minefield I'm not getting into it. Just take away that this presents as a generic "USB camera" that even windows xp can figure out, as they all should be.

Thanks for this. Boughten. Don't have a need for it yet but hate waiting on poo poo to ship when I *do* have a need for it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Eldarion posted:

We got a Sactional, and are quite happy with it. It wasn't cheap, but the flexibility was worth it since we hadn't found a house yet and weren't sure what layout we'd end up needing. We also had cat clawing concerns and chose the corded velvet covers (based on their recommendation), and have had no scratching issues. The covers are washable / replaceable as well, in case scratching or hairballs happen. Also, one of us liked the softer cushions and one liked the regular ones, so we were able to order one single softer cushion for me - it doesn't look perfect, but comfort comes first!

If you know a designer, they can get you 20% off.

Also have a sactional and it's pretty nice, I wish the backrests were a little firmer (we tend to crush them), and I lay weird on the L-shaped part we have which pushes the cushions apart.

One thing I will say is changing the layout is an ordeal, it's not something you're going to want to do everyday (they overhype that in their marketing stuff). It's not that hard, but it's at least 30m of work... take everything apart, inevitably have to vacuum/mop because of the filth underneath, then reassemble everything.

It's really nice to be able to take all the covers off and wash them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Also have a lovesac sactional, also happy with it. If i wake up in the middle of the night i watch David Attenborough to sleep on min brightness and it’s comfier to sleep on than two other couches I’ve tried.

No regrets even though at the time it cost more than every piece of furniture I’d bought in my life combined.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

Also have a sactional and it's pretty nice, I wish the backrests were a little firmer (we tend to crush them), and I lay weird on the L-shaped part we have which pushes the cushions apart.

One thing I will say is changing the layout is an ordeal, it's not something you're going to want to do everyday (they overhype that in their marketing stuff). It's not that hard, but it's at least 30m of work... take everything apart, inevitably have to vacuum/mop because of the filth underneath, then reassemble everything.

It's really nice to be able to take all the covers off and wash them.

Also do not believe the "deep" hype - it doesn't come with a matching pillow. It just means your middle pillow is squished. We do like ours overall.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My dad bought a lovesac and I helped him put it together. It’s a fantastic couch but holy poo poo was it expensive.

NGL though he got the one with the sound system built in and it’s drat good imo.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I looked at the Lovesac and I'm sure it would be better than IKEA, but not sure it would be 5 times better, which is basically the price difference.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah we have a Lovesac sectional and like cool it's modular, a feature we will never need after setting up the couch. The standard depth felt really shallow for me (6'1 for reference) so we did all deep cushions and I like it but I feel like shorter family members struggle a little.

I think overall it cost $5k or $6k and I really struggle to see where that value comes from. I guess the lifetime warranty on the frame is nice but will it be better than having gotten something for 1/3 of the price?

Also if you're into style or personality you won't find it here.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Re: couch chat

We just got an Anabei couch a few weeks ago and I like it a lot so far. Only real downside is the back is pretty short so you need some pillows for your head if it's against a wall. Also the arms are very skinny if that matters to you, but to me it just means more seating area for the couch size.

Washable covers, comes shipped in reasonable size boxes, pretty cheap, lightweight, pretty comfy.

The frame is steel and folds out like a camping chair for pretty easy setup.

Check it out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Im still using a couch I picked up from the curb 15 years ago. Its getting pretty worn and old but I hate modern couch design so I've been putting off replacing it til I find one I like better and so far I havent. Might need to put a bit more effort in soon.

Also: Plumbing issues SEEM to be resolved. I believe I have emerged victorious. Still running the system through its paces - running the new dishwasher now - but it seems like I may finally have a functional kitchen again. My long household nightmare is finally over.

Well, it will be after I clean up the mess I made and fix the computer I bricked, I guess.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 25, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm stunned lovesac is that expensive now. Didn't they used to be basically As Seen on TV Quality? I know they were appearing on my deal a day sites (woot/meh) for a while and then had a resurgence.

$4k is hell no territory for those.

We have an Ethan Allen couch that we got used for $250 (originally $2500) and while it is great quality. It is heavy. Unreasonably heavy. Like you can no poo poo injure yourself moving it. It's not a sectional or sleeper. Feels like it's made with the remnants of a dying star it's so heavy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We bought a "sectional" from Costco that is pretty alright quality for the price, I say "sectional" because it's basically 3 pieces: a love seat + a chaise + an ottoman. We have reconfigured the living room a couple of times so that's been cool. The back cushions were garbage but we're handy and made our own that are much better

I wish that the ottoman and the chaise opened up for storage but oh well

I saw Lovesac does some kind of speaker system integration thing, sounds like a sharper image gimmick that'd be prone to breaking but idk

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Like i guess having a bass integrated directly into your butt cushion does sound neat but maybe not all the time

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

BonoMan posted:

I'm stunned lovesac is that expensive now. Didn't they used to be basically As Seen on TV Quality? I know they were appearing on my deal a day sites (woot/meh) for a while and then had a resurgence.

$4k is hell no territory for those.

We have an Ethan Allen couch that we got used for $250 (originally $2500) and while it is great quality. It is heavy. Unreasonably heavy. Like you can no poo poo injure yourself moving it. It's not a sectional or sleeper. Feels like it's made with the remnants of a dying star it's so heavy.

There's gold hidden in the frame. Take a look with a FLIR camera

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I saw Lovesac does some kind of speaker system integration thing, sounds like a sharper image gimmick that'd be prone to breaking but idk

I don’t know how it’s going to hold up over the long term but having used it the thing is cool as poo poo.

It definitely cleans things up a lot

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Given how much time the average American family spends on the couch watching TV, I don't think it's wildly inappropriate to spend a good chunk each on those two items. That's like, a normal thing to do. Invest in quality stuff you're going to use multiple hours every day. Especially if you live somewhere cold and wet most of the winter

$5k for a quality couch is steep but that's what a nice looking one costs. Sure, ikea will sell you a couch shaped object for $400

My buddy has a love sac couch and just broke up with his long time girlfriend. That's the only thing they fought over.

We've got four years and two cross country moves on our current couch and I would expect to get another 10+ years out of it. Our current mid range TV is like, 9 years old we're gonna get a good replacement here finally this summer

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

QuarkJets posted:

Like i guess having a bass integrated directly into your butt cushion does sound neat but maybe not all the time

I have baked beans, & Lipton onion soup-chip dip for that

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We inherited a lightly used grandparent couch when they downsized to assisted living.

It’s ugly and looks like a grandparent couch but makes up for it with luxurious depth and cushioning. I’ll decorate with disadvantage to gain that sweet nap comfort.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm currently one week into the use of a home reserve couch. It's as modular as the love sac it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it's about 1/2 the price. The frame has a 10 year warranty. In 6' and we got the deep ones with 'storage' but it's basically an OSB cavity but it's useful for poo poo you aren't gunna use a ton, like we put out paint colors and fabric swatches in one and a bunch of the other furniture spares in another.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Anyone have good vacuum recommendations?
I'm sick and tired of this awful Bissell constantly clogging.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FISHMANPET posted:

I looked at the Lovesac and I'm sure it would be better than IKEA, but not sure it would be 5 times better, which is basically the price difference.

I once purchased a $300 IKEA couch and the Lovesac is more than five times better. That IKEA couch was by far the worst couch I ever had and the fake leather plastic was falling off after something like 90 days. Awful. I was better off cleaning the jizz off some Craigslist swingers couch.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 26, 2024

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jenkl posted:

Been pretty happy with our Dyson V11 cordless for the few years we've had it.

Certainly will never get a corded vacuum again.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Jenkl posted:

Miele, classic C1 line. Best vacuum ever.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FWIW consumer reports has a blanket "we don't recommend any cordless stick vacuums"

We got a shark navigator nv586 open box about six months ago that we've been happy with

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jenkl posted:

We got a Shark Rocket corded stick vacuum a few years ago. It's been excellent, way better than our previous bag-style vacuum (which was a nice model for what it was), and also happens to be way less heavy. The "head" comes off easily so it's better for runningalong corners and baseboards and for picking up larger things that a normal vacuum might not be able to handle. Would strongly recommend a stick vacuum like this one.

Corded vs Cordless, for a vacuum it's like the inverse of the same debate for lawn tools. With lawn tools you don't have any cord length, so you're adding a heavy extension cord to your setup and between having to constantly deal with plugs falling out of extension cords and hazards causing the whole thing to get stuck or unpowered, batteries make a lot of sense and I'm glad that I switched to battery-powered tools; even with a huge battery I'm still dealing with less weight due to not having to carry a heavy-duty extension cord. Indoor vacuums don't really have those problems; they normally come with a good length of cord and in most houses you're going to be close to an outlet no matter where you are, and they draw less power than most yard tools so the vacuum cords is relatively light. tl;dr get battery power tools and a corded vacuum cleaner

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I've never had a problem with shop vac, personally, but I also understand most people dont need or want a wet/dry or even a canister since they are pretty bulky. But I like having vacuums I can trust to do whatever it is I need doing, and thats what they do.

But mostly I just sweep now because I have hardwoods and like vacuum noise even less than the cats do, hah.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 26, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CarForumPoster posted:

I once purchased a $300 IKEA couch and the Lovesac is more than five times better. That IKEA couch was by far the worst couch I ever had and the fake leather plastic was falling off after something like 90 days. Awful. I was better off cleaning the jizz off some Craigslist swingers couch.

That sounds Incredibly cheap even for IKEA.

There's a lovesac store here and I sat on them the other day and like... $2500 or so seems right at the right level. But *starting* at $4k seemed way too much for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a YouTube channel called "Vacuum Wars" he's got a couple standard tests including coffee grounds, fruit loops etc

As of 2022 one of his top picks for cordless vacuums was the shark vertex. I got that, it's... Fine, works as well as advertised

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Project Farm did a cordless comparison fairly recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTkUNwBo9Ao

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BonoMan posted:

There's a lovesac store here and I sat on them the other day and like... $2500 or so seems right at the right level. But *starting* at $4k seemed way too much for me.

The neat thing about the love sac is that nobody has a bad opinion about them. Which is worth a lot

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hadlock posted:

The neat thing about the love sac is that nobody has a bad opinion about them. Which is worth a lot

Ok. I'm just telling you what I think they're worth compared to what they're charging. I've sat on much more comfortable and cheaper... But uglier! Couches. I don't think the modularity is worth as much as they're charging for moderately comfortable couches.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's gonna vary a lot from person to person and market to market. They have a showroom in a nearby mall and every time I walk past there somebody's signing paperwork to order one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hadlock posted:

Yeah it's gonna vary a lot from person to person and market to market. They have a showroom in a nearby mall and every time I walk past there somebody's signing paperwork to order one

Yeah that was the one I went to (in my mall not yours) and I never see anyone there but they're still open so surely somebody is buying them. The in-couch sound system sounded like a neat idea until I realized it was a nearly $3,000 addon. Youch.

edit: also did a mini-dive to see if I was remembering right. They DID use to sell for way cheaper... but they went through a bankruptcy and restructured and came out and just... started charging a lot more lol and are doing better. So good on them. Regretting not ordering them all the time they popped up on Woot and Meh

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lovesac/comments/no85fx/why_or_when_did_lovesac_became_so_expensive/

edit 2: goddamnit I'm eventually going to talk myself into getting one of these

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 26, 2024