Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
it's really hard to find any info on Helluva Boss working conditions/wages that isn't from haters, but as someone who worked in animation on non-union things for the first 7 years of their career, the artists are absolutely earning low pay and working out of passion for the show(s) and for bragging rights (which are well earned, the show looks stellar). I don't blame Vivzie, that's just how indie animations get made even when you're lucky enough to already have a huge fan base. I would be curious to know how what Spindlehorse's turnover rate is like, tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i expect the animators are as exploited as their peers in the industry are but not some sort of egregious exception.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nodosaur posted:

I know the key animator on "Loser, Baby" also did the "Nothing Left to Lose" song animation in Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure.

This lady?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h1q-dnX21LM

I loving love this animation. So much that, despite not caring about the series at all, when this got posted in some thread years ago I started watching the key episodes just to figure out how everything got to this point.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Nodosaur posted:

One thing that stands out to me is the bedazzles on Husk's wings. Normally you'd hear about how something like that'd be hard to animate, but it always looks good in motion.

It made me think of the Venture Bros. Rememeber the sphinx symbol, it was basically pasted onto the characters and was a known pain in the rear end. If you look at some scenes that has the symbol it can look wonky since it's not drawn, it's warped or reshaped and doesn't always fit, especially if at angles or side on.

Did anyone else notice the blood flying in the last Hazbin episode? The stabbings specifically. I thought the blood looked great in that. Blood and liquids can be extremely hard to animate, that last episode had it look so fluid.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 23, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rewatching HB now that I know what to watch for, and it's kind of wild how different the tone of the early episodes is. I'm up through CHERUB and what's striking is that it's largely taken up with toony gags, slapstick, and general situational stuff deriving from the "job of the week on Earth" frame. Really Loo Loo Land is a huge outlier in tone for the whole early arc, especially in light of all the groundwork it sets up with Fizzarolli and Stolas. Now I see why when I first started watching the show it mainly made me feel like I was watching a studiously edgier and intentionally more offputting version of Ren & Stimpy or something. "Like drinking pickle juice" is the phrase that came to mind, it's like, yeah I like it and I'm gonna drink all of it but like not all at once okay

And now I'm remembering why Truth Seekers was the first episode that made me want to go "okay wait there's some real HERE here" and then Ozzie's was like :tviv:.

Harvest Moon Festival was a bewildering swerve on first watchthrough, but now it's going to feel a lot more like the mainline poo poo. The episodes start getting longer at this point and there's a lot more to chew on.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I hope we do get at least one "job of the week" episode this season tho

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I hope we do get at least one "job of the week" episode this season tho

Ghostfuckers is going to be that one I think.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I want to see them do jobs as well.

I like those episodes and would hate to see them be nothing but background noise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flopsy posted:

Ghostfuckers is going to be that one I think.

I'm reminded how Blitz is aparently scared of ghosts, and I'm wondering how the heck ghosts are going to work in a setting where the mechanics of the afterlife are a major established part of the premise. Guessing they might go with the 'unfinished business' theme that a lot of works have.

Also a sexed up parody of Ghostbusters is kinda funny given A: how horny the original Ghostbusters already is, which is a lot, and 2: it's gonna be hard to top Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, which is basically Helluva Boss but nominally an anime and from the other direction. (And incredibly easy to picture a crossover with. ...Blitz and Garterbelt would definitely end up loving. If they hadn't already)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Hazbin Hotel
Helluva Boss
Murder Drones

Have been such great viewing.

Lackadaisy has a great pilot and should have more soon.

More episodes of The Amazing Digital Circus is coming after achieving ONE VIEW! Yay! The pilot has now officially been upgraded to Episode One! We shall call it........The Phantom Pilot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkXhKu80CWU

Pomni learned about the horrors of Rule CENSORED online!

I chuckled.

I never expected my favorite animated shows to be coming out or started from youtube of all things.

Yet here we are and I'm loving it.

Over 4,000,000 views in less than seven hours for this trailer is crazy. Tomorrow, it will be crazier. Between my first version of his post and this edit, it's jumped by around 200,000 views more.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 24, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Data Graham posted:

Rewatching HB now that I know what to watch for, and it's kind of wild how different the tone of the early episodes is. I'm up through CHERUB

I didn't like that episode all that much simply because I couldn't understand a drat thing they were saying in their songs. Hooray hearing damage.

They were going to go back and put proper subtitles on the episodes but didn't do that one for some reason.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah that’s the main reason I’m rewatching so soon tbh, just taking another run at picking up all the dialogue and looking up the lyrics in wikis and the like. It’s kind of a dirty trick that the faster and more frenetic and more layered shows get, the more important subtitles are to me (and my hearing is fine!), and HB which is the most frenetic thing yet is just missing them lol

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
What

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah that’s what I keep saying

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Last Call posted:

Hazbin Hotel
Helluva Boss
Murder Drones

Have been such great viewing.

Lackadaisy has a great pilot and should have more soon.

More episodes of The Amazing Digital Circus is coming after achieving ONE VIEW! Yay! The pilot has now officially been upgraded to Episode One! We shall call it........The Phantom Pilot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkXhKu80CWU

Pomni learned about the horrors of Rule CENSORED online!

I chuckled.

I never expected my favorite animated shows to be coming out or started from youtube of all things.

Yet here we are and I'm loving it.

Over 4,000,000 views in less than seven hours for this trailer is crazy. Tomorrow, it will be crazier. Between my first version of his post and this edit, it's jumped by around 200,000 views more.

I am gonna give a shout out to a smaller series that I like that gets lost in the shuffle because they are only a 4 person team and do a lot of work for other shows(smiling friends) but I want to recommend satina. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcbDWlQO3Hl3lvtjTga3ujQXjHk3VSXik&si=ZWWz0goEEGqm-FFc It’s mostly about a dad raising his hellspawn kid on weekends. It’s mostly just cute and weird with some dark humor.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK so yeah, watching Truth Seekers a second time it really does seem like this is the point where suddenly the show kicks into a much higher gear on all fronts. The main thing that slammed me across the face the first time through, and again this time, is the fight scenes—both of them—and that jam of a score behind the second one (and the credits). How would you even describe that poo poo? It's like a thrash metal Irish drinking song or something. And the fight choreography, and just the absolutely lavish way it just goes and goes and goes, taking breaks every few seconds for another sight gag or ridiculous character aside or showoffy camera flourish (each one a character bonding moment serving to drive home how these four weirdos are an inseparable unit now and Blitzo will not die alone), it's like four straight minutes of that 360 degree sweep in Teen Girl Squad #10 BWAAAOOOOOMP

So that's where I was sitting there with my mouth agape thinking, how much money are they actually spending on this. And secondly, was animation really the only medium where a battle royale like this could really shine properly? In live-action you would have to fight for every split-second facial expression to read, every sight gag to come through. Whether it's the Matrix or John Wick or whatever, it seems like a taller order to try to pull this off with real actors, whereas in this show you can make every toothy Loona face and every Millie axe-swing or every shot of Moxxie or Blitzo making shark faces and dual-wielding guns just pop right off the screen. It's like the animators just rolled up their sleeves and said "okay fuckers, wanna see how it's done huh"

and that's without even going into the Bad Trip song (and the torture-chamber repartee leading up to it, which is one of the first places we really see Moxxie's mental agility. Lmao at the coffee order, not to mention the commentary on the efficacy of torture) which is brilliant enough to carry an episode all on its own. "I've been a jackass, it's true, but soon as we're back as ourselves", haha god I love this show's way with lyrics. Not only do they play with rhyme and meter, they also do this three-card-monty game with expectations all the time, leading you to expect one thing and then pulling off the lid and revealing something else entirely, like Blitzo's expression as he delivers "Why, Moxxie, why do you have Millie put it in your butt" :lmao:. Or to take a different example from another song, when Stolas sings "in my gilded ... jail", the line is being delivered so slowly and deliberately that I'm thinking gilded cage is coming, especially considering the bird pun angle, but then he's giving me enough time to think "but no wait, that wouldn't rhyme. What else could he possibly be about to say instead of cage? What was the last line again?" And then he says jail and it all falls into place, but in that couple of seconds leading up to it my brain is working overtime and when the resolution comes it all smooths out at once in a really satisfying way like one of those "unclogging a drain" videos.

It's just so dense

e: I noticed some construction lines left in place on Moxxie's face at the end of the song, it's like some of the crowdsourced Lackadaisy style animation showing through

e2: :3: how Stolas made sure Blitzo was okay before laying into them (and directing most of his ire at Moxxie and the others)

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 25, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Noticed the constructed lines, figured it was an art choice if not perhaps a rushed schedule thing. Kinda like in the pilot we get a break down of the song between Moxxie and Millie during the credits. That actually did get fully animated later and released. The Moxxie drawing used did show up in a previous episode about sticking it to a certain Succibus via a little amusing black board animation via Blitzo.

Humans discovering demons exist is likely to be the issue the crew tackles in the third or fourth seasons. Probably putting the IMP and Loona along with Stolas on the lam. Possibily facing execution. It's where the crystals that Stolas wanted Blitzo to use will come in so handy as the book is likely going to be taken from Stolas and he'll probably be put on trial with an outcome decided only Stella could love. Until things get resolved of course. If such a future happens it's the best chance Lucifer and the other sins show up via cameo. Unless it's a full Goetia decided judgement. Be a decent way to end the show now that we know the fourth is the last season.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am gonna give a shout out to a smaller series that I like that gets lost in the shuffle because they are only a 4 person team and do a lot of work for other shows(smiling friends) but I want to recommend satina. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcbDWlQO3Hl3lvtjTga3ujQXjHk3VSXik&si=ZWWz0goEEGqm-FFc It’s mostly about a dad raising his hellspawn kid on weekends. It’s mostly just cute and weird with some dark humor.

Nice!

It's why I mentioned the other shows, if people enjoy Hazbin and Heullva they probably will like the others. Doesn't hurt a lot of the voice actors show up in the various productions.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Noticed the constructed lines, figured it was an art choice if not perhaps a rushed schedule thing. Kinda like in the pilot we get a break down of the song between Moxxie and Millie during the credits. That actually did get fully animated later and released. The Moxxie drawing used did show up in a previous episode about sticking it to a certain Succibus via a little amusing black board animation via Blitzo.

Humans discovering demons exist is likely to be the issue the crew tackles in the third or fourth seasons. Probably putting the IMP and Loona along with Stolas on the lam. Possibily facing execution. It's where the crystals that Stolas wanted Blitzo to use will come in so handy as the book is likely going to be taken from Stolas and he'll probably be put on trial with an outcome decided only Stella could love. Until things get resolved of course. If such a future happens it's the best chance Lucifer and the other sins show up via cameo. Unless it's a full Goetia decided judgement. Be a decent way to end the show now that we know the fourth is the last season.

Nice!

It's why I mentioned the other shows, if people enjoy Hazbin and Heullva they probably will like the others. Doesn't hurt a lot of the voice actors show up in the various productions.

My only issue with a mass reveal to humanity that Hell exists is how would that mesh with Hazbin Hotel's plot or would they just fudge the timelines a bit? Because if people had concrete proof that "yeah the bad place full of demons is real and if you don't shape the gently caress up guess we're you're going?" then I have to imagine it would have shockwaves in how people comported themselves. For both good and bad because as we know nobody knows what gets you into heaven yet. Not sure if they legally can allow that kind of crossover or how they would handle it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Flopsy posted:

My only issue with a mass reveal to humanity that Hell exists is how would that mesh with Hazbin Hotel's plot or would they just fudge the timelines a bit? Because if people had concrete proof that "yeah the bad place full of demons is real and if you don't shape the gently caress up guess we're you're going?" then I have to imagine it would have shockwaves in how people comported themselves. For both good and bad because as we know nobody knows what gets you into heaven yet. Not sure if they legally can allow that kind of crossover or how they would handle it.

Hard to say, they could go in any number of directions. It could get solved with humanity having it's knowledge of demons getting erased. It could end with everything we've seen getting undone to prevent the knowledge being common to humans resetting everything back to episode one where they need to redo everything once more and the connections they made during the series, a bittersweat ending with the hope things work out better this time. Or maybe it'll be dealt with humanity deciding the whole demon thing was silly nonsense and treat it as such with nary a mention later. The show can be quite silly and un serious when it comes to things.

And yeah I got doubts they can show Lucifer and certain characters either. Not to say there might be ways around it. Those characters in shadow that look like Lucifer and co? No, that's other beings. They're actually rocking beards and moustaches while being dressed up completely different from those other characters. You just don't know. Cuz they are in shadow. Yes, that's the ticket. Totally not Lucifer....

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Hard to say, they could go in any number of directions. It could get solved with humanity having it's knowledge of demons getting erased. It could end with everything we've seen getting undone to prevent the knowledge being common to humans resetting everything back to episode one where they need to redo everything once more and the connections they made during the series, a bittersweat ending with the hope things work out better this time. Or maybe it'll be dealt with humanity deciding the whole demon thing was silly nonsense and treat it as such with nary a mention later. The show can be quite silly and un serious when it comes to things.

And yeah I got doubts they can show Lucifer and certain characters either. Not to say there might be ways around it. Those characters in shadow that look like Lucifer and co? No, that's other beings. They're actually rocking beards and moustaches while being dressed up completely different from those other characters. You just don't know. Cuz they are in shadow. Yes, that's the ticket. Totally not Lucifer....

It's kinda fascinating to me we have two cataclysmic plots going on simultaneously and in the same place but major characters are ignorant to the fact. In Helluva Boss we have the reveal of Hell to humanity AND a possible civil war brewing between lust and greed. While upstairs in the Pride ring we have Lucifer and Heaven butting heads over extermination and if the rumors I've heard are right the very root of all evil. Just...amusing these things won't intercept at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/birb_z/status/1761318532350927189

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Nice!

yeah, its why i dont why some folks in various fanbases get such hate boners for other shows. like i like most of those and they fill different niches. I mean grew up with homestarrunner so you know, good times.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 25, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, its why i dont why some folks in various fanbases get such hate boners for other shows. like i like most of those and they fill different niches. I mean grew up with homestarrunner so you know, good times.

Fan bases are a passionate lot.
They often are a jealous protective irrational lot.

Especially if believe something else is taking eyes away from what they love.

It's a constant.

You kinda got to roll your eyes about it and enjoy what you like. Sure, not everything might be to your own taste, but the more variety out there the better!

Goes for everything I have ever seen, TV, movies, music, sports etc.

Nothing's safe, it happens everywhere.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Season 2 hellavuv boss is about angelic weapons, featuring goetians.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Also the underclasses knew about angelic weapons on a casual basis before HH did.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something that keeps nagging at me about Queen Bee is how weird and novel it is that the whole bacchanale is not presented as a great big self-immolating trap for the participants. Like maybe there's more to be told still, but all the signals we get from the poppy Cotton Candy song and her attitude toward the partygoers are that she's just fattening them up, hypnotizing/drugging them into working as unwilling biological slaves to produce the fuel on which Hell feeds as will be revealed in some horror scene yet to come. It's a device so well-established that it crops up in everything from Cowslip's Warren to The Matrix to "The Great Heep" episode of that Droids cartoon in the 80s lol. But ... that doesn't happen in the episode, and it doesn't feel like it's coming.

Instead it's ... just a party. Everyone knows the role they're playing and they all seem cool with it; Beezlejuice itself isn't being presented (yet) as anything more significant or that behaves any differently from, well, alcohol. And Queen Bee's whole role ends up being not that of a mass abuser like Val or a manipulator like Mammon, she's just a kind of drug mama who exists to give people a good time and cut them off when they've had too much.

And what it sets up is interesting questions about what role the sins play in Hell. Looking at Lust and at Gluttony here, the two places Blitzo visits on his night of self-destruction and debauchery, it seems like establishments like Ozzie's and Queen Bee's are there to let people indulge freely in the sins they would indulge in on earth, but without the societally-imposed consequences? It's like the only thing from earth that's missing in Hell is shame.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think Bee also feeds on indulgences but not in a parasitic way that causes any harm. But yeah, out of all the Sins we’ve met so far Bee, Ozzie, and Lucifer himself seem like fairly decent people despite what they represent (I like that honestly)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Something that keeps nagging at me about Queen Bee is how weird and novel it is that the whole bacchanale is not presented as a great big self-immolating trap for the participants. Like maybe there's more to be told still, but all the signals we get from the poppy Cotton Candy song and her attitude toward the partygoers are that she's just fattening them up, hypnotizing/drugging them into working as unwilling biological slaves to produce the fuel on which Hell feeds as will be revealed in some horror scene yet to come. It's a device so well-established that it crops up in everything from Cowslip's Warren to The Matrix to "The Great Heep" episode of that Droids cartoon in the 80s lol. But ... that doesn't happen in the episode, and it doesn't feel like it's coming.

Instead it's ... just a party. Everyone knows the role they're playing and they all seem cool with it; Beezlejuice itself isn't being presented (yet) as anything more significant or that behaves any differently from, well, alcohol. And Queen Bee's whole role ends up being not that of a mass abuser like Val or a manipulator like Mammon, she's just a kind of drug mama who exists to give people a good time and cut them off when they've had too much.

And what it sets up is interesting questions about what role the sins play in Hell. Looking at Lust and at Gluttony here, the two places Blitzo visits on his night of self-destruction and debauchery, it seems like establishments like Ozzie's and Queen Bee's are there to let people indulge freely in the sins they would indulge in on earth, but without the societally-imposed consequences? It's like the only thing from earth that's missing in Hell is shame.

So what I took away from Beelzebub is she's in a symbiotic relationship with her subjects. They act as her worker bees and she processes their indulgences into the honey she sells to rest of hell. Her attentiveness is essentially making sure production is moving along smoothly and there's no bad flavors polluting the mix. She wants them to genuinely enjoy themselves partly because I think she enjoys it herself but also it heightens the quality of her honey. She wanted Blitzo out both because of concern for his well being and also he might end up curdling that night's haul. I see her as both somewhat compassionate but also a very hard working sin. Like she's definitely working during her parties to ensure the honey produced is both the highest quantity and quality. The reason she cuts people off is again misery pollutes the honey and she wants them to keep coming back for more parties. Dead people are a bummer all around.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I quite like this take on Beelzebub as it’s so against what we always see with him. Some fly lord looking thing, if not a big overweight guy who can’t stop eating, add in some rot and decay and that’s what people to view him as being. Unhealthy excess with people ruining themselves.

So far Bee is about the positive sides, she wants people to have a genuine good time. She can read people with how they’re feeling and she clearly gets a buzz from it. I’ve seen it said that it’s how she actually feeds, the more positive response from people only empowers her. She wants to have fun and she wants her guest to have a good time. She’s the good party host, it’s why we see her checking on people asking if they’re doing okay or need anything. She can easily be initially seen as some mean girl sounding type, but that’s not her actual style. Unless she thinks your calling her out or poo poo talking to her, we saw she doesn’t like that.

I said it in a previous post but Mammon looks more like what people think of when they think gluttony, some big fat guy.

People have noticed her stomach; it looks like a lava lamp. It’s why she can eat or drink whatever or however much of anything. It kinda is lava, or something akin to it allowing for more more more! All she wants in fact.

Flopsy posted:

So what I took away from Beelzebub is she's in a symbiotic relationship with her subjects. They act as her worker bees and she processes their indulgences into the honey she sells to rest of hell. Her attentiveness is essentially making sure production is moving along smoothly and there's no bad flavors polluting the mix. She wants them to genuinely enjoy themselves partly because I think she enjoys it herself but also it heightens the quality of her honey. She wanted Blitzo out both because of concern for his well being and also he might end up curdling that night's haul. I see her as both somewhat compassionate but also a very hard working sin. Like she's definitely working during her parties to ensure the honey produced is both the highest quantity and quality. The reason she cuts people off is again misery pollutes the honey and she wants them to keep coming back for more parties. Dead people are a bummer all around.

You said it better than I!

And that's exactly how it is.

It's like Ozzie, he's the embodiment of Lust. But he doesn't like it when someone abuses another or controls them in a non agreed way. ie: He doesn't like the love potions Velvet makes and sells. He thinks it's fake, not real. He also believes in consent. A rather big thing. We tend to take a more negative view of lust where as Ozzie is all about the positive sides.

Not to say him or Bee can't be taken in some bad ways, as stated above Bee is literally the Queen Bee and has people doing what she wants indirectly or not. Ozzie himself had no problem with Stolas cheating on his wife despite having a kid, he wasn't admonishing him during that song. If anything he was proud of him and celebrating it. People also missed the fact Ozzie and Fizz were mainly upset with Moxxie where he started to sing a lovey dovey song at a club where it's not about love but lust. Moxxie was kinda killing the vibe and that's not good business.

It's like going into a strip club and getting up on stage and singing about Jesus saves.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 25, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

I quite like this take on Beelzebub as it’s so against what we always see with him. Some fly lord looking thing, if not a big overweight guy who can’t stop eating, add in some rot and decay and that’s what people to view him as being. Unhealthy excess with people ruining themselves.

So far Bee is about the positive sides, she wants people to have a genuine good time. She can read people with how they’re feeling and she clearly gets a buzz from it. I’ve seen it said that it’s how she actually feeds, the more positive response from people only empowers her. She wants to have fun and she wants her guest to have a good time. She’s the good party host, it’s why we see her checking on people asking if they’re doing okay or need anything. She can easily be initially seen as some mean girl sounding type, but that’s not her actual style. Unless she thinks your calling her out or poo poo talking to her, we saw she doesn’t like that.

I said it in a previous post but Mammon looks more like what people think of when they think gluttony, some big fat guy.

People have noticed her stomach; it looks like a lava lamp. It’s why she can eat or drink whatever or however much of anything. It kinda is lava, or something akin to it allowing for more more more! All she wants in fact.

You said it better than I!

And that's exactly how it is.

It's like Ozzie, he's the embodiment of Lust. But he doesn't like it when someone abuses another or controls them in a non agreed way. ie: He doesn't like the love potions Velvet makes and sells. He thinks it's fake, not real. He also believes in consent. A rather big thing. We tend to take a more negative view of lust where as Ozzie is all about the positive sides.

Not to say him or Bee can't be taken in some bad ways, as stated above Bee is literally the Queen Bee and has people doing what she wants indirectly or not. Ozzie himself had no problem with Stolas cheating on his wife despite having a kid, he wasn't admonishing him during that song. If anything he was proud of him and celebrating it. People also missed the fact Ozzie and Fizz were mainly upset with Moxxie where he started to sing a lovey dovey song at a club where it's not about love but lust. Moxxie was kinda killing the vibe and that's not good business.

It's like going into a strip club and getting up on stage and singing about Jesus saves.

If I had to take a guess--and mind you I'm saying this only after seeing one episode about her and finding out she did in fact sign Loona's adoptions papers--I'd say Bee's worst trait is seeing people as commodities. Despite seeming carefree I think her mind is very much on her work and while she values her guests as they're invaluable to what she represents I think she doesn't give much of poo poo about the aftereffects. I.E. kids born from the wild sex at her parties, lingering health issues etc.. Hence the massive hellhound orphanage being more like a prison/dog kennel than any kind of proper child care. Asmodeus on the other hand as acknowledged in series is a hypocrite. While expounding on the virtues of uninhibited sex and that cheating in name of pursuing desire is A-Ok with him I guarantee you he'd be gutted if it happened to him. I think he's grown enough over the years to understand what he likes most of all is having someone he adores to equally SHARE in both lust and love with him. And as such he's essentially set limits on himself that he wouldn't advertise to others. That's going to be something he needs to address in later episodes or risk a massive blow to his reputation.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Flopsy posted:

If I had to take a guess--and mind you I'm saying this only after seeing one episode about her and finding out she did in fact sign Loona's adoptions papers--I'd say Bee's worst trait is seeing people as commodities. Despite seeming carefree I think her mind is very much on her work and while she values her guests as they're invaluable to what she represents I think she doesn't give much of poo poo about the aftereffects. I.E. kids born from the wild sex at her parties, lingering health issues etc.. Hence the massive hellhound orphanage being more like a prison/dog kennel than any kind of proper child care. Asmodeus on the other hand as acknowledged in series is a hypocrite. While expounding on the virtues of uninhibited sex and that cheating in name of pursuing desire is A-Ok with him I guarantee you he'd be gutted if it happened to him. I think he's grown enough over the years to understand what he likes most of all is having someone he adores to equally SHARE in both lust and love with him. And as such he's essentially set limits on himself that he wouldn't advertise to others. That's going to be something he needs to address in later episodes or risk a massive blow to his reputation.

We tend to get the best version of the characters, that or they grow and show how much they care about who matters to them the most. Now are they going to be like that with everyone? Hell no.

That isn’t happening, it's not going to be a happy day in hell for everyone.

The Sins are going to sin. Overlords are going to overlord.

This means bad things for other people no matter what. Take Rosie for example, we all love Rosie, right? So far, we've only seen a limited side to her and most people think she's the best step mother to Charlie, they forget the rest. She's a cannibal. An Overlord. She leads cannibals. She's about taking over territory and killing other people. Alastor even states in song Charlie is someone he could guide and she agree's. She knows Alastor isn't talking for the betterment of all of Hell. Far from it. One day the fanbase is going to get a rude awakening this stuff can get Games of Thrones like.

Then we'll get a red wedding and people will act as if it came out of nowhere despite being set up since the start. People got a blind spot for Alastor. He's not doing what he's doing to help Charlie. He's doing it for power and to get free. He doesn't care about being the power on the throne, he wants to be the power behind the throne. Less dangerous for him that way. Most of the other big name characters and power players are not that different.

They can be nice but they can also rend your soul apart. If we get enough seasons I expect we'll see the darker sides of Hell including the characters with the show really going places.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

We tend to get the best version of the characters, that or they grow and show how much they care about who matters to them the most. Now are they going to be like that with everyone? Hell no.

This means bad things for other people no matter what. Take Rosie for example, we all love Rosie, right? So far, we've only seen a limited side to her and most people think she's the best step mother to Charlie, they forget the rest. She's a cannibal. An Overlord. She leads cannibals. She's about taking over territory and killing other people. Alastor even states in song Charlie is someone he could guide and she agree's. She knows Alastor isn't talking for the betterment of all of Hell. Far from it. One day the fanbase is going to get a rude awakening this stuff can get Games of Thrones like.

Then we'll get a red wedding and people will act as if it came out of nowhere despite being set up since the start. People got a blind spot for Alastor. He's not doing what he's doing to help Charlie. He's doing it for power and to get free. He doesn't care about being the power on the throne, he wants to be the power behind the throne. Less dangerous for him that way. Most of the other big name characters and power players are not that different.

They can be nice but they can also rend your soul apart. If we get enough seasons I expect we'll see the darker sides of Hell including the characters with the show really going places.

See I absolutely get it and am here for it. My problem is the black and white thinking where a portion of the audience is going to be all betrayed their fav character is "problematic". Like this ain't a show about demons in hell. I can adore several characters while full well knowing they're up to some shenanigans. Alastor ain't Charlie's pal he's using her as a means to an end. Whether or not he starts to feel guilty about that I haven't seen any real proof of that yet. I just get tired about the lack of media literacy sometimes. Like people thinking episode 4 was trying to glamorize sexual abuse and breathlessly clutching their pearls that the rape scene are too sexy. And yes that term was the one specifically being thrown around a lot. Don't even know how to begin addressing that one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

See I absolutely get it and am here for it. My problem is the black and white thinking where a portion of the audience is going to be all betrayed their fav character is "problematic". Like this ain't a show about demons in hell. I can adore several characters while full well knowing they're up to some shenanigans. Alastor ain't Charlie's pal he's using her as a means to an end. Whether or not he starts to feel guilty about that I haven't seen any real proof of that yet. I just get tired about the lack of media literacy sometimes. Like people thinking episode 4 was trying to glamorize sexual abuse and breathlessly clutching their pearls that the rape scene are too sexy. And yes that term was the one specifically being thrown around a lot. Don't even know how to begin addressing that one.

Yeah, this. I think sadly a lot of people on the online left legit think showing something and not screaming at the audience that it’s bad means that it’s enforcing it. I hate to bring mcu into this but I remember a lot of people got pissy that the movies didn’t explicitly say that thanos plans were evil and hosed up and bad and that the heroes should have told the audience that thanos Malthusian poo poo doesn’t work, but like no poo poo, also anyone with a hint of understanding already gets that and can also see thanos clearly is using it as an excuse to do awful poo poo. But I see same poo poo with people with vizipop stuff. I like Alastor and in a weird twisted way, i think he does genuinely like Charlie even if he is very very clearly using her. I also do think his plan is more complicated and deep then “lol take over hell”.

With bee, i think it’s what some goon said up thread, she does genuinely care about her subjects/guests having a good, happy, consenting time, but she could give less of a gently caress about the consequences because she is always chasing the next big high/party.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 26, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

I actually think Alastor will probably kill Rosie at some point, he will claim to feel bad while doing it, hell, he may even it himself, but i think he gonna betray her if it means he can get his goal.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

With bee, i think it’s what some goon said up thread, she does genuinely care about her subjects/guests having a good, happy, consenting time, but she could give less of a gently caress about the consequences because she is always chasing the next big high/party.

*Stares wistfully into the sunset* And that little goon...was me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel the treatment of the Sins is also some social commentary, especially from the perspective of people who've grown up with 20th century Christianity; where socially, Lust as a 'sin' is just in practice 100% homophobia and/or hating people for having sex drives or wanting to actually enjoy sex with a partner they choose, (which probably puts into context why Ozzie is fiercely about consent) and Gluttony when they remember it exists is just again shaming people for having indulgent vices different from their own, or flat out fat-shaming. And on the other hand... well, 'Greed is good'. 'Nuff said. As said, Hell is basically Earth but without nearly as much of the shame or pretence. And what happens when you take the 'let them indulge all they want until they get sick of it' is, as someone said, the place ends up taken over by the psychopaths who DON'T get sick of it... or the people who decide to run the indulgent bacchanalias well.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

She does definitely have a bit of party girl carelessness, but I think it probably also brings to mind how Bee is, well, just throwing a big wild party, and specifically one with demons- who as we've shown, even the weakest have superhuman tolerances for drugs and alcohol. Even after matching her keg for keg, the worst Blitz suffers is implied to be a hangover and chucking up.

Do wonder if she encourages indulgence in part because her guests are primarily hellhounds and also imps; on the bottom rungs of Hell's heirarchy, and often poor, who wouldn't be able to afford to indulge anywhere near that much on their own.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel the treatment of the Sins is also some social commentary, especially from the perspective of people who've grown up with 20th century Christianity; where socially, Lust as a 'sin' is just in practice 100% homophobia and/or hating people for having sex drives or wanting to actually enjoy sex with a partner they choose, (which probably puts into context why Ozzie is fiercely about consent) and Gluttony when they remember it exists is just again shaming people for having indulgent vices different from their own, or flat out fat-shaming. And on the other hand... well, 'Greed is good'. 'Nuff said. As said, Hell is basically Earth but without nearly as much of the shame or pretence. And what happens when you take the 'let them indulge all they want until they get sick of it' is, as someone said, the place ends up taken over by the psychopaths who DON'T get sick of it... or the people who decide to run the indulgent bacchanalias well.

She does definitely have a bit of party girl carelessness, but I think it probably also brings to mind how Bee is, well, just throwing a big wild party, and specifically one with demons- who as we've shown, even the weakest have superhuman tolerances for drugs and alcohol. Even after matching her keg for keg, the worst Blitz suffers is implied to be a hangover and chucking up.

Do wonder if she encourages indulgence in part because her guests are primarily hellhounds and also imps; on the bottom rungs of Hell's heirarchy, and often poor, who wouldn't be able to afford to indulge anywhere near that much on their own.

I think Bee much like Ozzie could give a rats rear end about who comes to join their parties so long as they're indulging. The thing I actually like about the Sins--ALL sins including Mammon for that matter--is so long as you're indulging their specific sin they don't give a gently caress who you are. The Goetia wouldn't spit on an imp if they were on fire let alone allow one to attend their get togethers as anything other than a servant. It's this interesting disconnect between the Kings of hell and their nobility. The very highest have no problem interacting with or even dating the lower classes, but the Goetia who are much less powerful than them act like they're too good to even breathe the air of the poor. Like how do they manage the logic that they have to strictly keep to their inbreeding and closed circle socializing when Lucifer married the first sinner, Beelzebub is dating one of her hellhounds and Asmodeus has declared undying love for an imp?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I figured it was the idea of appearance to appear better while the kings and queens of hell are given no restrictions than those self imposed.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Annointed posted:

I figured it was the idea of appearance to appear better while the kings and queens of hell are given no restrictions than those self imposed.

I guess what's so funny to me is it's so self imposed. Literally none of the top brass care. Like at all. So the fact they insist on tormenting themselves to fit into their niche group better is just kind of pitiful. Literally nobody likes the Goetia least of all the ones running the show. So their strict adherence to a long outdated power structure just seems out of touch and antiquated at best. It's pure social pressure from among their clique to conform that makes them live like this--literally nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flopsy posted:

I guess what's so funny to me is it's so self imposed. Literally none of the top brass care. Like at all. So the fact they insist on tormenting themselves to fit into their niche group better is just kind of pitiful. Literally nobody likes the Goetia least of all the ones running the show. So their strict adherence to a long outdated power structure just seems out of touch and antiquated at best. It's pure social pressure from among their clique to conform that makes them live like this--literally nothing else.
Sounds realistic tbf