Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Wario Land is completely excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Suburban Dad posted:

The question is: are there any good virtual boy games worth playing? I only experienced my neighbor's system as a kid playing tennis for 5 minutes followed by neck pain. :v:

With such a small library of official titles they're at least all novel to try out, but I genuinely enjoy VB Wario Land, Galactic Pinball, and Jack Bros.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snackmar posted:

With such a small library of official titles they're at least all novel to try out, but I genuinely enjoy VB Wario Land, Galactic Pinball, and Jack Bros.

Was that a Starfox game in the video posted in the Tweet?

Also is there a convenient walkthrough for how to load that stuff on my 3DS? I homebrewed it with FBI and CIA and all that but it’s been a real long time since I did it.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Xenomrph posted:

Also is there a convenient walkthrough for how to load that stuff on my 3DS? I homebrewed it with FBI and CIA and all that but it’s been a real long time since I did it.

I removed the SD card from the 3DS, then made these folders:
cias
roms\vb

Put the emulator's .cia file into the cias folder. Copy your games into the vb folder.

Reinsert the SD card and power on, then launch the FBI app. It has a file browser. Navigate to the emulator and install it. (You'll be asked if you want to keep the original cia file after installing it, you can just delete it.)

Back on the home screen, the gift icon will show up and you can open and launch the emulator. The UI has a file browser that you can use to navigate to the vb folder, and it will remember that location for next time.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Xenomrph posted:

that is Red Alarm, only inspired by Star Fox, I think. I dont know the development histories.

Snackmar posted:

this is right. I enjoyed Teleroboxer well enough for the 3d effect, and one time I got locked in high and watched a longplay of that Shadows Over Innsmouth game that only came out in Japan, which was an experience

I really love the music of Jack Bros

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I also like Nester's Funky Bowling merely for the fact that Nintendo was feeling silly enough to give Nester from Nintendo Power his own video game, which I think is the reason why anybody mentions that game at all

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

wizard2 posted:

I also like Nester's Funky Bowling merely for the fact that Nintendo was feeling silly enough to give Nester from Nintendo Power his own video game, which I think is the reason why anybody mentions that game at all

It definitely has a lot of character with all its "you missed!" etc bowling animations. I've had fun playing it in two player mode with a friend, but not in the last 20 years :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gonna have to dust off my 3DS today.

https://x.com/skyfloogle/status/1761806433165734157?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

3D is supported.

Edit: oh it’s already been posted. Still, neat.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Did you guys hear about Red Viper?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Killingyouguy! posted:

Did you guys hear about Red Viper?

Red what????? :monocle:

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Xenomrph posted:

Red what????? :monocle:

Actually they spelled it r3D, cause it’s based on Red Dragon but it’s on the 3DS, very clever name but the performance wasn’t very good.

Wait, looks like somebody made a version that works and called it Red Viper, y’all heard about this?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hold up, the 3DS??

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Heath posted:

Hold up, the 3DS??
I only have a 2DS :negative:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
a toods

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is this the GBA thread?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I have a bad memory so it's possible I read this here in this very thread but the first picross game on the switch from jupiter was ported to 3ds and is available on hshop. So you can play it with a stylus as it should be

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Can you not use a stylus on the switch?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

a capacitive stylus should work, the plastic type from the 3DS will not

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

dirby posted:

I only have a 2DS :negative:

I kept my new 3ds when I sidegraded to a 2DS XL, and it's finally paying off!

It will now live on as a dedicated Virtual Boy emulator/ 3D Picross machine.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

repiv posted:

a capacitive stylus should work, the plastic type from the 3DS will not

I havent looked at these in a decade. Are they still crappy little rubber nib things?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I've seen the list in the op of the thread, but: I am prepping for a business trip with some long flights coming up next week and have a cracked 2DS XL ready to go. What should I put on it? 3ds / DS / GBA game inclusive, I'm looking for good strategy games, rpgs, and action games.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mega Man Star Force DX. It's a romhack that brings the first Star Force game up to super polish and provides alternatives for the decommissioned online service content and plastic-toy-in-japan exclusive gameplay.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The entire Advance Wars series, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 1 & 2, the Soma Cruz Castlevanias. That should keep you entertained for quite a while

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Impermanent posted:

I've seen the list in the op of the thread, but: I am prepping for a business trip with some long flights coming up next week and have a cracked 2DS XL ready to go. What should I put on it? 3ds / DS / GBA game inclusive, I'm looking for good strategy games, rpgs, and action games.

Pokemon Emerald Rogue is pretty fun, turns the best Pokemon game into a permadeath roguelike where you advance through small areas trying to build up a team before getting inevitably pulverized by a very rude gym leader.

Also nobody played Minish Cap but it's like the fourth best Zelda game ever made. Highly recommend.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Impermanent posted:

I had a mostly-great time with the first 6 Final Fantasies. I think they're all available on GBA, but 3 and 4 also have DS remakes which aren't too bad.

Dragon Quests 4-8 all had remakes or remasters on the DS and 3DS, and 9 is a DS exclusive.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The DQ7 remake is my favorite DQ. 11 is a better game but I just love something about 7.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

worm girl posted:

Also nobody played Minish Cap but it's like the fourth best Zelda game ever made. Highly recommend.

It's also bite-sized. It's shorter than even just one of the Oracle games!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

worm girl posted:

This. I played this on steam deck for the first time in the last year. The game is gorgeous and I was impressed how good it was. It was my favorite old game I played last year and had aged very well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Impermanent posted:

LBX (Little Battlers eXperience) for small robot combat to scratch that Custom Robo and/or Medabot itch.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
still booting up my special edition NES O3DS XL to play pocket card jockey. that game owns

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Impermanent posted:

This isn't what you asked, but sometimes I like to take a break from real games and smash out a few rounds of old favourites on Clubhouse Games.
(I wish they had ported it to 3DS-native; I'd be tempted to get a DSi XL if I ever see one for a reasonable price.)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Snackmar posted:

I removed the SD card from the 3DS, then made these folders:
cias
roms\vb

Put the emulator's .cia file into the cias folder. Copy your games into the vb folder.

Reinsert the SD card and power on, then launch the FBI app. It has a file browser. Navigate to the emulator and install it. (You'll be asked if you want to keep the original cia file after installing it, you can just delete it.)

Back on the home screen, the gift icon will show up and you can open and launch the emulator. The UI has a file browser that you can use to navigate to the vb folder, and it will remember that location for next time.

That said if you can deal with the craptastic bandwith, you can do all this via FTP without having to futz with the back of your 3DS as well.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

LBX (Little Battlers eXperience) for small robot combat to scratch that Custom Robo and/or Medabot itch.

Why not just play the actual DS Custom Robo game? Not only is it great, the 3DS joystick nub feels good to use with it despite it not being “supposed” to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

galagazombie posted:

Why not just play the actual DS Custom Robo game? Not only is it great, the 3DS joystick nub feels good to use with it despite it not being “supposed” to.

You can totally play that too! If you like Custom Robo and haven't played LBX though, go fix that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ConanThe3rd posted:

That said if you can deal with the craptastic bandwith, you can do all this via FTP without having to futz with the back of your 3DS as well.

Tell me more.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's an option in the 3DS settings to transfer data wirelessly, and there's also homebrew apps like ftpd that will let you open an ftp server on your 3DS.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I was referring to ftpd. IIRC it is installed during the jailbreak process.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Oh that's right, I forgot about ftpd - there's also an improved pro version with more features that you can optionally install if I remember right.. But yeah, any hacked 3DS should have ftpd on it already and then you can use Filezilla on your computer to connect to the 3DS remotely and transfer files that way.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Impermanent posted:

3DS:

Miitopia: A quirky JRPG, the gameplay is nothing to write home about, but I still found it fun

Dragon Ball Fusions: It's been described as a "love letter to Dragon Ball fans". Gameplay wise you fly around a series of small worlds moving onwards as the game progresses, the combat is kinda a mix of Chrono Triggers battles and... pool, I guess. The games starts to drag near the end game where you're managing a roster of hundreds.

Ever Oasis: Kinda a mix of a craftathon Zelda game with lite town building aspects. Had fun but never completed it.

The Dempamen (1,2,3): I stalled on two, but 1&2 are unsophisticated JRPGs. If you want a NES style grind-a-thon in 3d this is your game. The hook however is that (barring your first one) you collect party member's by scanning Wifi points. If a party member is killed and lost, you can go back to the area where you "caught" them and re-collect them.

Translated 3DS:
Dragon Quest Monsters 1&2: Updated versions of the Gameboy Pokemon knock-offs by the same name. They've been given a modern makeover with a large number of quality of life improvements. Also each have had a fairly large post game chapter added on.

NDS:

Radiant Historia: A great JRPG featuring time travel. There's also a improved 3ds port, but it's crammed with voice acting so I prefer the original.

Retro Game Challenge: A spin off of the Japanese TV show "Game Center CX", RGC features NES styled mini-games. The player is tasked with beating challenges in the mini games, occasionally helped by in game gaming magazines. As a gamer in my 40's RGC was like a shot of pure nostalgia injected directly into my veins.

The Dragon Quest IV, V, VI remakes: Not much to really say here, they're remakes of the NES and SNES Dragon Quest games. I never played the originals, but I found these to be enjoyable and solidly put together JRPGS.

Scourge Hive: Scourge Hive is metroidvania down to its core, except it's played in three quarters view. The game started out as a GBA game and it shows, however it would have been considered one of the better looking games on that system.

Translated NDS:

SaGa 2&3: Improved remakes of Final Fantasy Legend 2&3. Honestly a lot of the gameplay improvements feel kinda tacked on, but they're still solid games.

Retro Games Challenge 2: RGC2 takes (almost) everything I loved about the original and improves it. The premise is the same, just with new games (and more of them) as well as many games from the first RGC returning as time or score attack variants. Additionally RGC2 features a daily challenge to beat, which grow harder as you complete them.

GBA:

Mario & Luigi - Superstar Saga: A fun little Mario RPG that takes the idea of timed hits and massively expands it. In battle each brother has a button assigned to them, and your controlling them real time to dodge attacks. It got a 3DS remake, but I haven't played that yet thus why it's down here.

Mega Man Battle Network 1-6: A Tron rip-off inspired RPG with a Megaman coat of paint on it. You switch between the real world where you control a boy named Lan and the Internet where you control Megaman.exe. Battles are a mix shooting and dodging in a 3x3 grid real time and card deck based attacks. Athough if you want to try these you may want to pick up the MMBN collections on Steam or Switch. Oh, and one and four are probably the worst games in the series, so you may want to skip them until you get a feel for the gameplay.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Sick list! Yeah, I want to stress DB Fusions being real goofy fun.

Also, I don't think I could go back to Miitopia on 3DS after the Switch remake, but that and Tomodatchi Life are probably my favorite unpopular/obscure Nintendo franchises. They are both Mad Libs: The Game, and theres still a lot of great downloadable Miis out there on the internet for 3DS.

http://www.miicharacters.com

the Switch counterpart is https://www.miipedia.com

I assume the 3DS Mii QR codes still function as intended, despite server shutdowns?