Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

I'll choose to take this as commentary on the Chat thread's overall track record

I’ve got 12yrs so far, it isn’t impossible to post here and stay married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

seiferguy posted:

There's, uh, some unfortunate historical precident as to why there are no Asian grocery stores / a Chinatown in my area of town:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_riot_of_1885

Tacoma being the 3rd biggest city in WA state and not having its own Chinatown can only happen for one reason. There is a pseudo Chinatown that popped up years later but compared to Seattle's it's quite sad.

somewhere between mlk's assassination and the gentrification after the caps/wiz arena opened, dc's chinatown barely exists now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Washington,_D.C.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
She’s the big spoon for sure.

I kind of feel like I skipped the first marriage phase of my life and just jumped straight to the typical second marriage.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

She’s the big spoon for sure.

I kind of feel like I skipped the first marriage phase of my life and just jumped straight to the typical second marriage.

In golf they say to just hit your second shot first, so I’d say you’re doing it the right way.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

somewhere between mlk's assassination and the gentrification after the caps/wiz arena opened, dc's chinatown barely exists now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Washington,_D.C.

Yeah, I was in DC a few times the last 5 years and I was really disappointed with how gentrified and non-existent it was. An arch and 7 bubbletea places does not a Chinatown make. Compare it to Philly which at least has like a bakery.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I feel like if you're willing to submit to your corporate masters, you'll have no problem submitting to the lovely dom you have back at home. :3:

Yeah I think it's a good fit. She has her own career and we don't have any plans to have kids, so without anyone really relying on me it gives me the freedom to be as craven and servile as I like in my own career.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I was in DC a few times the last 5 years and I was really disappointed with how gentrified and non-existent it was. An arch and 7 bubbletea places does not a Chinatown make. Compare it to Philly which at least has like a bakery.

The Sixers and the city government want to bulldoze the mall next to Chinatown (a couple of blocks to the south, not the Convention Center to the west) and put in a new arena for the team. Literally nobody else in the city wants this, in part because it would strangle Chinatown.

Maybe advance past the second round of the postseason sometime and we can talk new stadium?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

23 years on July 4th here. Go for it General Dog!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kalli posted:

I think you’ll also find that the Chipotle and Potbelly have their names written with Chinese characters tyvm

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

LeeMajors posted:

my wife and i just hit 15, but i think i was already divorced by the time i registered an account here

e: nope, but only a few months away lol

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

General Dog posted:

Yeah I think it's a good fit. She has her own career and we don't have any plans to have kids, so without anyone really relying on me it gives me the freedom to be as craven and servile as I like in my own career.

I'm genuinely happy for you. We may not see eye to eye but I think you're a good dude. Go get her, tiger!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Silly Burrito posted:

23 years on July 4th here. Go for it General Dog!

We'll.have our first date anniversary on July 3rd. Not something we normally celebrate but its been 20 years now.

We went and saw fireworks and ate at Friendly's, which is a New England restaurant/ice cream place. I moved out of state a couple weeks later and she didn't get the hint and chased me down.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I feel like if you're willing to submit to your corporate masters, you'll have no problem submitting to the lovely dom you have back at home. :3:

Until he decides he hasn't performed at a level that is expected as Husband and files for divorce.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Quiet Feet posted:

We'll.have our first date anniversary on July 3rd. Not something we normally celebrate but its been 20 years now.

We went and saw fireworks and ate at Friendly's, which is a New England restaurant/ice cream place. I moved out of state a couple weeks later and she didn't get the hint and chased me down.

I mean, if she didn't get the hint when you took her to eat at a Friendly's, I don't think there's anywhere on Earth you could have gone.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

I obviously haven't been to a lot of them but I'd probably rank the best Chinatowns in North America as:

1. New York
2. Vancouver, BC
3 and 4: tie between Seattle and SF

I'd assume Toronto / Montreal have excellent Chinatowns too, but I have yet to go.

Edit: would be remiss to not say Honolulu given its prominence in Infinite Wealth.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Russian Guyovitch posted:

I mean, if she didn't get the hint when you took her to eat at a Friendly's, I don't think there's anywhere on Earth you could have gone.

We met up at the college I was going to at the time (fireworks show was being held there) and I'd offerred to drive us somewhere but she told me later she didnt want to get into a car with some weirdo she met on the internet, which, fair.

I guess Friendly's narrowly wins out over possibly being kidnapped by a lunatic.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Mine and SB's first date was to White Castle so no judgement.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Quiet Feet posted:

27 years next month for us. Met at Disney World through my brother's girlfriend, hit it off around the Haunted Mansion. Went to the same college, did long distance for three years after that. Nearly split four years ago, but held it together.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

seiferguy posted:

I'd assume Toronto / Montreal have excellent Chinatowns too, but I have yet to go

Torontos Chinatown loving rules.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

General Dog posted:

I started Baldur’s Gate 3 a few weeks ago after hearing all the hype, and while it seems very cool, all of the systems just overwhelm me, even after watching several very helpful and extensive explainer videos.

I had a hard time getting into the game at first, but I’m glad I got over the hump because I am obsessed now lol. Just hit act 2 on my second play through and I am finding so much crap that I missed the first time despite trying to be very thorough. It’s insane how big the game is.

One thing is that at low levels, you just suck. This is a consequence of using the DND rules cause that’s how it is in tabletop too. At low level you can’t do poo poo. Once you get to like level 3 you should feel less lame and classes start to get really cool toys at level 5. Melee also tends to be stronger early on because they can always bonk stuff but casters don’t have any good spells yet.

And while there are tons of mechanics and systems to engage with, you mostly don’t have to. Especially on lower difficulties. Literally one of the best builds in the game is 12 levels of barbarian and all you do is throw poo poo at bad guys. Every action every turn. You can go hog wild making a combo bard / Druid / fighter that gets 10 attacks a turn and needs very specific gear but you can also just pick up a sword and throw it at a dude and you will win either way. In my first play through I don’t think I crafted a single potion, barely drank any, barely used scrolls etc. Depth and complexity is there if you want it but it’s not really necessary to beat the game.

I’d encourage you to try to push through the weak opening levels because the story and characters and world they’ve built are really incredible. If you are struggling with a specific encounter just leave and do something else for a while. There’s like 50 different scenarios of various difficulty and complexity just in the first act. Go explore and talk to people for a while until you get more xp and gear to deal with whatever battle is frustrating you.

Last thing is you can and should have a party of 4. I somehow missed companions you’re supposed to get immediately and spent hours with a party of 2 wondering why every encounter was loving impossible. Turns out fighting with 2 hands behind your back sucks!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Braksgirl posted:

Mine and SB's first date was to White Castle so no judgement.

22 years last Friday and ours was a Carrot Top concert.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

GD_American posted:

:stare:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Nice! I’ve heard it described as kind of a midway point between Diablo and path of exile. Does that sound about right?

More or less. I don't think it quite goes into POE levels of talent splat but every spell/ability has it's own talent tree which ends up being a lot as each class has four sub classes which have their own unique abilities with trees as well as the common class skills. You can only have five abilities so each character is about assembling a series of skills and then making talent synergies from those skills.

seiferguy posted:

There's, uh, some unfortunate historical precident as to why there are no Asian grocery stores / a Chinatown in my area of town:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_riot_of_1885

Tacoma being the 3rd biggest city in WA state and not having its own Chinatown can only happen for one reason. There is a pseudo Chinatown that popped up years later but compared to Seattle's it's quite sad.

I didn't know abou that, I guess that makes the Reconcilliation Park on Ruston make more sense. But we do have South Korean Way which you can't throw a rock without hitting a korean bbq place which is pretty awesome

Docjowles posted:

I had a hard time getting into the game at first, but I’m glad I got over the hump because I am obsessed now lol. Just hit act 2 on my second play through and I am finding so much crap that I missed the first time despite trying to be very thorough. It’s insane how big the game is.

One thing is that at low levels, you just suck. This is a consequence of using the DND rules cause that’s how it is in tabletop too. At low level you can’t do poo poo. Once you get to like level 3 you should feel less lame and classes start to get really cool toys at level 5. Melee also tends to be stronger early on because they can always bonk stuff but casters don’t have any good spells yet.

And while there are tons of mechanics and systems to engage with, you mostly don’t have to. Especially on lower difficulties. Literally one of the best builds in the game is 12 levels of barbarian and all you do is throw poo poo at bad guys. Every action every turn. You can go hog wild making a combo bard / Druid / fighter that gets 10 attacks a turn and needs very specific gear but you can also just pick up a sword and throw it at a dude and you will win either way. In my first play through I don’t think I crafted a single potion, barely drank any, barely used scrolls etc. Depth and complexity is there if you want it but it’s not really necessary to beat the game.

I’d encourage you to try to push through the weak opening levels because the story and characters and world they’ve built are really incredible. If you are struggling with a specific encounter just leave and do something else for a while. There’s like 50 different scenarios of various difficulty and complexity just in the first act. Go explore and talk to people for a while until you get more xp and gear to deal with whatever battle is frustrating you.

Last thing is you can and should have a party of 4. I somehow missed companions you’re supposed to get immediately and spent hours with a party of 2 wondering why every encounter was loving impossible. Turns out fighting with 2 hands behind your back sucks!

gently caress 5E and being poo poo to start with. 4 E supremacy and being dope as hell from the start :colbert:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 26, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If anyone has been to Vancouver Island, BC and has recommendations on things to do, I’d like to hear them. I’m visiting a friend in Victoria this summer, but looking for things to do outside of just that. Hopefully my friend gives me some tips too, but always like to ask around.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

2 weeks in with the cat

https://imgur.com/a/LG95gt2

She’s a cuddler and still pussyfooting around letting the dog loose around her

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

General Dog posted:

Good on ya

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

I saw him at some cheapo campus show in college and his act is actually loving hilarious in person.

Baldur's Gate 3 tips: Stop trying to min/max it like other RPGs you've played and just play it out as if "Well, this story is going to be a little different than I had intended" and you will have a lot better time with this game, there's not really a lot of "That was the wrong decision" kind of options, just more of "I'm getting a different story now" situations, and the storytelling and dialogue is so good it doesn't really matter and obsessing about doing everything perfect isn't necessary.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

10 years, first date was El Torito on the Redondo Beach pier day before Valentines

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

More than 10 years since first date, now more than 6 years married. COVID striking not long after the second anniversary is…a bit depressing, now that I think of it. But wouldn’t change anything.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

lol you guys made me look up our 1st date, or rather we were a bunch of U Syd students and I ended up with her and not the other that I went with. Now i have the exact time and date. We still get along like a house ablaze.
http://blackmarketclash.co.uk/Pages/Gigs/The%20Clash/1982-The-Clash-Live/1982%20gigs/82-02-12%20Sydney/82-02-12%20Sydney.html

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Met my wife at the Luxor Las Vegas (we were there for a set of mutual friends' event). Been married 22 years this year.

In 1982 I was seeing The Secret of Nimh and Tron in the theater, dateless

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Don’t think I’ll watch it because of the reviews but this is a great use of the sphere

https://x.com/netflix/status/1760394103882125739?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
the Avatar live action TV show isn't that great, but they nailed the casting. Perfect actors for Aang, Sokka, etc.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Congrats General Dog. Wish you and the Doctor all the best. This year will be my wife and my 11th anniversary.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Apparently I did some scandalous poo poo in someone else's dream.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Nervous posted:

That's hosed up, man.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nervous posted:

Why would you do such a thing?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Nervous posted:

The one thing I've done in someone else's dream lately was paint her nails.
She painted mine, we were little girls at a sleepover.:3:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

General Dog posted:

I think I’m gonna get married this year

Congrats! I’d done a lot of stupid poo poo in my life with a lot of bad decisions, but getting married wasn’t one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pron on VHS posted:

the Avatar live action TV show isn't that great, but they nailed the casting. Perfect actors for Aang, Sokka, etc.

I finished the shoe.

Episodes 5-8 are a lot better than 1-4.

Azula doesn't have blue fire bending which basically makes the show unwatchable