Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We've heard about how Steamboat Willie and that early version of Mickey Mouse are public domain. Pretty cool. Erik Larsen will do some fun stuff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Zaslav made it clear he thought cartoons are overpriced, he's also a sexist gently caress who thinks women can't follow scripted shows and prefers cozy reality tv (dude must've never heard of Soap Operas)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

why do Erik Larsen's female characters keep losing all their clothes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
To be fair, both recent shows that bring back the the Caballeros emphasise that the other two are just as big as deadbeats as Donald, and Donald's at least a single dad and part-time globetrotting adventurer with a crazy-rear end family.

And that he's genuinely terrified of Daisy is I think his way of showing his appreciation.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Daisy is basically Donald except that she always manages to channel her rage into things that are kind of vaguely socially-acceptable, so that she comes across as a bit selfish but not actually insane the way Donald does.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and in Brazil, lot of Jose Caricao's comics (that weren't Mickey or Donald comics with the parrot painted over them) depicts Jose as a social climber and hustler

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

A knockoff version of Jose Caricao is the mascot for one of the lottery companies in Malaysia

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

FunkyAl posted:

I kinda wish more movies were structured like dumbo. I like the idea of chapters pertaining to a certain theme, versus something like an arc.

If you haven't seen them in a while, the Babe movies do this, especially the second one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A knockoff version of Jose Caricao is the mascot for one of the lottery companies in Malaysia

…Berdly?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure they're both based on a Brazilian parrot.

They could probably be considered one of Disney's earliest clear examples of token nonwhite (sorta) characters, but they did it so drat well. A couple of cheerful party animals are pretty much perfect for playing off hard-luck Donald.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Daisy is basically Donald except that she always manages to channel her rage into things that are kind of vaguely socially-acceptable, so that she comes across as a bit selfish but not actually insane the way Donald does.

One of the sadder bits of the new Ducktales being cut off when it was was that we only got a bit of Daisy and Donald, because they updated the dynamic in a really nice and less somewhat-problematic way while still feeling true to the characters, and it seemed like there was going to be a bit of depth there.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure they're both based on a Brazilian parrot.

They could probably be considered one of Disney's earliest clear examples of token nonwhite (sorta) characters, but they did it so drat well. A couple of cheerful party animals are pretty much perfect for playing off hard-luck Donald.

helps both Panchito and Jose were voiced by actors of their actual ethnic/regional background (Jose even shares the same name as his - though his VA went by the nickname Ze) - which was about unheard of in Hollywood then and studios still struggle to do NOW, and while they definitely embodied stereotypes, they were stereotypes that people are proud of.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched redline, the animation was badass

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MikeJF posted:

One of the sadder bits of the new Ducktales being cut off when it was was that we only got a bit of Daisy and Donald, because they updated the dynamic in a really nice and less somewhat-problematic way while still feeling true to the characters, and it seemed like there was going to be a bit of depth there.

Yeah, and in a way that makes sense given the updated context; Daisy would come off as a complete rear end in a top hat nowadays being shrewish and demanding to a boyfriend who already barely keeps his head above water and struggles with being essentially a single parent, but having them be more 'you and me against the world' and dealing with the insane shenanigans of the circles they live in works really well.

Of course, context is the tricky bit; the way the Disney mascots get treated as more archetypes than characters with consistent traits or contexts makes it weird. 'Donald as effectively a struggling single parent' is actually a genuine theme of a lot of older stuff, but rarely mixed with 'Donald as a bachelor trying to not piss off his girlfriend'. Came to mind watching the somewhat obscure yet recent Three Caballeros show (which is a weird mix of beautiful animation and kinda inconsistent and dated writing that almost feels like something that was made in the 90s and kept in the vault til now) omits the nephews entirely, but instead gives April, May and June the spotlight as the wise-beyond-their-years triplets who riff on Donald but are also genuinely supportive of him and help him deal with his adventure shenanigans and getting his life and relationship together. It's a very different approach from the new DuckTales, but also a valid one and clearly thought out.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MacheteZombie posted:

I watched redline, the animation was badass

:yeah:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Preview of more Digital Circus, with official acknowledgement that the internet and their fandom contain normal and responsible people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkXhKu80CWU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

To be honest, it's kind of boring if a fanbase isn't a hellscape of perverts, weirdos and people with very strong opinions of what combinations of characters should be kissing and loving each other. Though I might have just gotten a little too used to it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be honest, it's kind of boring if a fanbase isn't a hellscape of perverts, weirdos and people with very strong opinions of what combinations of characters should be kissing and loving each other. Though I might have just gotten a little too used to it.
And anyway, even if you don't think that's good, that ship has sailed

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I yearn for a fan base that doesn't have that loving garbage bro.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That's just humanity. You're asking for a fanbase that doesn't have any people in it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rand Brittain posted:

That's just humanity. You're asking for a fanbase that doesn't have any people in it.
]

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 26, 2024

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've never once watched a show and thought "that character should be loving that other character"

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I don’t want to go on a boring adventure like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

starkebn posted:

I've never once watched a show and thought "that character should be loving that other character"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That's a little weird to me because for a lot of television, not having that response means ignoring huge swathes of the televisual language of desire and sex.

Like, how did you feel about Jimmy and Kim across the seasons of Better Call Saul? Did you not, at any point, have any opinion about the chemistry between those characters and actors? Because the production team absolutely did, and if you aren't paying attention or acting receptive to that dimension of the filmmaking or storytelling, then you're not receiving the whole show.

I recognize that may seem like a world of difference from shipping arguments for cartoons, but principally the medium doesn't really change the subjects. Love and sex are a major part of art and while there are people with no personal interest in either, and that's fine, that doesn't mean that having an interest in how sex and love are depicted, alluded to, and used for storytelling in popular art is aberrant or bizarre.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think there's a difference between acknowledging relationships exist between characters (nobody is saying that that there should be stories without relationships) and wanting to gently caress them vicariously. It's honestly doing a disservice to the phenomenon of shipping to think that people do it because the couples "make sense" or "the themes"

mycot fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 26, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

That's a little weird to me because for a lot of television, not having that response means ignoring huge swathes of the televisual language of desire and sex.

Like, how did you feel about Jimmy and Kim across the seasons of Better Call Saul? Did you not, at any point, have any opinion about the chemistry between those characters and actors? Because the production team absolutely did, and if you aren't paying attention or acting receptive to that dimension of the filmmaking or storytelling, then you're not receiving the whole show.

It's weird that you used this example because I loved both Jimmy and Kim individually but never bought into them being romantically involved. I didn't see any of that chemistry between the two.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmm I wonder why people wanted the two underwear models in Supernatural to gently caress even though those characters are meant to be brothers. The motivation is surely a mystery.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Whatever fandom gets up to doesn’t really bother me, but presenting it in anything official or official adjacent always makes me uncomfortable. Seems like there’s easier ways to thank your fans without adding a weird shame layer to it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
We need to go back to the era where the extent of fan-creator interaction was mail.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I guess my ace rear end is ace because two hot people loving with no romantic build-up strikes me the same as that 45 minute action sequence in Man of Steel: This is dumb and boring and if I want to watch toys smash I'll go babysit my nephew.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Nerdietalk posted:

Whatever fandom gets up to doesn’t really bother me, but presenting it in anything official or official adjacent always makes me uncomfortable. Seems like there’s easier ways to thank your fans without adding a weird shame layer to it.

I dunno, I laughed when Helluva Boss called out their fanbase.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DoctorWhat posted:

I recognize that may seem like a world of difference from shipping arguments for cartoons, but principally the medium doesn't really change the subjects. Love and sex are a major part of art and while there are people with no personal interest in either, and that's fine, that doesn't mean that having an interest in how sex and love are depicted, alluded to, and used for storytelling in popular art is aberrant or bizarre.

I just don’t sit on the couch and think “drat I hope they gently caress I can’t wait to see them gently caress”

I just let the story play out. It’s just not interesting to me to discuss the sex lives of anyone let alone fictional characters lmao

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Gomez and Morticia is the most perfect, ideal romantic relationship in all of fiction and you know they gently caress every drat moment they can and you'll never need it proven to you because goddamn obviously, look at their insane chemistry.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Stop talking about shipping

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The only shipping I wanna hear about is the movie in which a dog has a robot shipped to his home!!

In all serious though it's annoying that Robot Dreams isn't getting a theatrical release before the Oscars. I've been seeing trailers for it in theaters that say it's "Coming Soon" but the Oscars aren't far off and that the trailer doesn't have a specific date makes me think it's gonna be out after the Oscars. Just feels like a missed opportunity since I dunno about everyone else but the main reason it's on my radar at all is because of that Best Animated nomination.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Srice posted:

The only shipping I wanna hear about is the movie in which a dog has a robot shipped to his home!!

In all serious though it's annoying that Robot Dreams isn't getting a theatrical release before the Oscars. I've been seeing trailers for it in theaters that say it's "Coming Soon" but the Oscars aren't far off and that the trailer doesn't have a specific date makes me think it's gonna be out after the Oscars. Just feels like a missed opportunity since I dunno about everyone else but the main reason it's on my radar at all is because of that Best Animated nomination.
It is getting a very limited theatrical release right now

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mystes posted:

It is getting a very limited theatrical release right now

Yea. Mostly just frustrating to see constant trailers for it not knowing when it'll release wider. If at all! Since I've certainly seen my fair share of trailers out here for more niche movies that never got released within a reasonable driving distance - I'm still annoyed that I saw a bunch of trailers for the new Ernest and Celestine movie yet the closest theater playing it would have taken me a few hours to drive to.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Das Boo posted:

I guess my ace rear end is ace because two hot people loving with no romantic build-up strikes me the same as that 45 minute action sequence in Man of Steel: This is dumb and boring and if I want to watch toys smash I'll go babysit my nephew.

But the fight in Man of Steel had a lot of the payoff for different plot and story elements within it, and has been aped relentlessly since?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

But the fight in Man of Steel had a lot of the payoff for different plot and story elements within it, and has been aped relentlessly since?

Has it? Every blockbuster seems to take their guidance from the first Avengers final battle, and not the relentless and character-assassinating fight from Man of Steel.