Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

JediTalentAgent posted:

RLM hasn't really touched much in the spy or Bond-knockoff genre for any of their BOTW, have they? I know it's not in their typical wheelhouse of sci-fi, horror, action flicks but the only one I kind of remember is maybe Order of the Black Eagle?
I think Never Too Young to Die was supposed to be a James Bond knockoff, but something went... very strangely during that film's production and I guess everybody just went with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not as many low budget spy thrillers as you'd want. Lotta things like Spy High though.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Vim Fuego posted:

It's about Family Video, and that's what's so powerful about it

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
This isn't related to anything in particular but I been feeling pretty bad for Kumail Nanjiani the last couple of days. Besides the HGH cat turd thing, and all the rest of the poo poo, poor dude has the most racist career arc in modern Hollywood.

Pakistani American who as far as I'm aware is only ever cast as Indian, a country that is officially at war and in a nuclear arms race with Pakistan.

He only ever plays the broadest Indian stereotypes imaginable too, uber driver, IT incel etc.

gently caress when he got to play a marvel character that was an alien god, he got forced to do a Bollywood scene against his will through trickery.

It's like a matroyshka doll of lovely racism all because Americans can't handle the possibility of brown people coming from two different countries.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Kingo Ligma posted:

the HGH cat turd thing,

wait what

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Kingo Ligma posted:

This isn't related to anything in particular but I been feeling pretty bad for Kumail Nanjiani the last couple of days. Besides the HGH cat turd thing, and all the rest of the poo poo, poor dude has the most racist career arc in modern Hollywood.

Pakistani American who as far as I'm aware is only ever cast as Indian, a country that is officially at war and in a nuclear arms race with Pakistan.

He only ever plays the broadest Indian stereotypes imaginable too, uber driver, IT incel etc.

gently caress when he got to play a marvel character that was an alien god, he got forced to do a Bollywood scene against his will through trickery.

It's like a matroyshka doll of lovely racism all because Americans can't handle the possibility of brown people coming from two different countries.

He was pointedly Pakistani in silicon valley, but lol at the eternals one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Molothecat posted:

It still kills me that he got insanely buff for that role but they never gave him a shirtless scene. They forced him into the dance scenes after he specifically said he didn't want to do it, but they could've at least given him the consolation of making it a hot shirtless dance scene where he gets to show off his ripped bod.

But no, the scene only exists because he is funny Indian man, they can't undercut that by letting him be hot.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
put kumail in the next magic mike

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

dude literally ate poo poo from a cats butt to gain muscle powers

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Hackers film 1995 posted:

Dang I could've told him it wasn't gonna work

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Kumail was so great on Silicon Valley and you could go from rooting for him to just laughing at what a dingus he could be.

The bit where Gilfoyle has to renew his green card and does it while Dinesh is still parking the car and how much that bugs Dinesh was amazing. It took Dinesh 5 years to get citizenship and he got repeatedly asked about al-qaeda.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Dang I could've told him it wasn't gonna work

just fuckin housed a ginger bread house in like two bites to pack on mass

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Hackers film 1995 posted:

Modern superhero origin stories have gotten weird.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

you have to eat cat turds and gingerbread houses together. if you just eat the turds it won't work. trust me

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It’s true. I missed out on years of gains

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

*busts into thread*

I, too, eat cat poo poo!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

priznat posted:

Kumail was so great on Silicon Valley and you could go from rooting for him to just laughing at what a dingus he could be.

The bit where Gilfoyle has to renew his green card and does it while Dinesh is still parking the car and how much that bugs Dinesh was amazing. It took Dinesh 5 years to get citizenship and he got repeatedly asked about al-qaeda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUSsEch7dZA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

man, I just remembered when the first Picard trailer dropped and it showed the story was going to involve the Borg and some mysterious girl with super strength who spin kicks ninjas. And I thought that somebody had remembered that Borg aren't just cyber zombies, they are their own species, and they improve themselves biologically too. We actually see a baby Borg at one point in TNG. I thought that girl was going to turn out to be a Borg who had somehow never gotten any implants, a purely biological Borg. That was why she was so strong and could do spin kicks. The show was going to deal with this whole aspect of the Borg that had been completely forgotten about.

That could have been so cool :(

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Molothecat posted:

Dinesh isn't a name really found in Pakistan outside of someone having a very, very bad time.

Pakistan is an Islamic theocracy and Dinesh is a Hindi name.

As an extra bit of racism, his last name is Muslim.

There is a minority Muslim population in India.

To have a Hindi first name and a Muslim surname literally ONLY works if he's Indian rather than Pakistani lmao.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kingo can have his own Star Wars spinoff from the Kenobi show and they'll make it mandatory viewing so you understand why Bagool the Hutt is important for the Mando and Grogu movie.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Kingo Ligma posted:

the HGH cat turd thing

He hosed up. Cat turds have Feline Growth Hormone, which will make you a giant pussy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kumail nanjiani is kind of like taylor swift in that I do not give a single gently caress about either of them

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

trilobite terror posted:

put kumail in the next magic mike

They basically did that already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YOdl4iZjiU

(But it is yet another example of Kumail playing an Indian character.)

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
This post is dedicated to xjakk

I watched Dick Tracy last night. I really wanted to love it, but I ended up kind of hating it. The set pieces and atmosphere are top notch. They did an awesome job of turning a comic book into a movie. It felt like a comic book come to life, without going completely over the top corny. The villains were also some of the coolest and grossest designs that I've seen, I loved them. Especially LITTLEFACE.

Here's what I didn't like:

-Madonna. She's not a bad actress, it just seemed like she didn't give a poo poo during the entire movie. I don't think her facial expression changed once.

-Beatty. So flat. Maybe that's the character?

-Story. Basic gangster story which fell flat for me.

Therefore, I CANNOT recommend Dick Tracy.

Thanks,
Sunk Dunk

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

This post is dedicated to xjakk

I watched Dick Tracy last night. I really wanted to love it, but I ended up kind of hating it. The set pieces and atmosphere are top notch. They did an awesome job of turning a comic book into a movie. It felt like a comic book come to life, without going completely over the top corny. The villains were also some of the coolest and grossest designs that I've seen, I loved them. Especially LITTLEFACE.

Here's what I didn't like:

-Madonna. She's not a bad actress, it just seemed like she didn't give a poo poo during the entire movie. I don't think her facial expression changed once.

-Beatty. So flat. Maybe that's the character?

-Story. Basic gangster story which fell flat for me.

Therefore, I CANNOT recommend Dick Tracy.

Thanks,
Sunk Dunk

Oh hey I also watched it a couple weeks ago

Al Pacino is absolutely delightful in the movie as are most of the other weird-looking gangsters but yeah Beatty is so. loving. Flat. I don't know exactly what they were going for with the performance but it's probably the worst thing about the movie unfortunately.

I'd say it's still definitely worth a watch just to see the work that went into the set/production design- it's just so well-realized and I can't really think of anything else that did something similar to the movie.

Also I think Beatty was still trying to angle around for a sequel/some sorta continuation only a few years ago so he apparently really cared about the project but man Dick Tracy is a hell of a hard sell today; even more so than when the movie was made like 35 years ago. The studio that made it thought it was gonna be their big Indiana-Jones-style action franchise; dunno WTF they were thinking

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I watched dick tracy when I was 7, I thought the gangsters were fun and didn't care about dick tracy at all.

movie should've been titled WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Speaking of bad movies with great production design, I just watched Toys. Pretty stupid but every frame was delightful

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Warren Beatty/Dick Tracy thing is so loving funny. The dude is just obsessed with it. He did a weird TV special last year just to retain the rights.

The movie does look fantastic though and you can see why Disney went all in on it.

edit: I'm watching old episodes of Joe Bob Briggs Drive in Theater. This particular movie is 1992's Animal Instincts, a DTV erotic thriller starring Jan Michael Vincent. The wild thing is the cinematographer is none other than Wally Pfister.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 26, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kingo Ligma posted:

Dinesh isn't a name really found in Pakistan outside of someone having a very, very bad time.

Pakistan is an Islamic theocracy and Dinesh is a Hindi name.

As an extra bit of racism, his last name is Muslim.

There is a minority Muslim population in India.

To have a Hindi first name and a Muslim surname literally ONLY works if he's Indian rather than Pakistani lmao.

I think that might have been a situation where they named the character then later found out that Kumail is Pakistani because explicitly points out that he's from Pakistan several times throughout the series. So still because of racisms.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I'm calling for an embargo on egyptian actors playing anything but egyptians, they have far too much of an ethnic advantage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stink Billyums posted:

I'm calling for an embargo on egyptian actors playing anything but egyptians, they have far too much of an ethnic advantage.

Omar Sharif has been dead for like ten years, man.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Arc Hammer posted:

Omar Sharif has been dead for like ten years, man.

they cast him as the italian voice of aslan in chronicles of narnia! it's crazy, he's not a lion nor italian!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Monkey Fracas posted:

Also I think Beatty was still trying to angle around for a sequel/some sorta continuation only a few years ago so he apparently really cared about the project but man Dick Tracy is a hell of a hard sell today; even more so than when the movie was made like 35 years ago. The studio that made it thought it was gonna be their big Indiana-Jones-style action franchise; dunno WTF they were thinking
I think I read somewhere he’s holding onto the rights basically out of spite now. He has no plans to use them but he’s not letting anyone else use them either, dammit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That could have been so cool :(

You gotta hand it to them though, I've never seen any show so masterfully thread the needle by aligning thousands of needles onto one string like a Janitor's keyring of infinite needles they use to jab viewers eyes into a pulp. Every character, every plot beat, every line of writing, every episode filmed without anything having been written, just an absolutely thorough dedication to making the worst possible media for each frame of every episode. And to rope in so many talented people and get them to give their absolute career worst performances, what a feat.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Jose Oquendo posted:

The wild thing is the cinematographer is none other than Wally Pfister.

I was curious since I haven't seen his name on any film credits in a while and wondered what he's been up to. Apparently he stopped working for Chris Nolan and decided to just focus on directing films, starting (and ending) with Transcendence ten years ago.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

beatty knows as soon as he lets the dick tracy rights expire sony will buy them and try to force-feed us a dick tracy cinematic universe. he's taking one for the team

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

RLM hasn't really touched much in the spy or Bond-knockoff genre for any of their BOTW, have they? I know it's not in their typical wheelhouse of sci-fi, horror, action flicks but the only one I kind of remember is maybe Order of the Black Eagle?

Didn't they also do the other one in that pair? Unmasking the Idol? I feel like RLM is where i heard about it but may be wrong.

Edit: They did in a BoTW.

https://youtu.be/NgBgpkip58k

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 26, 2024

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ZeusCannon posted:

Didn't they also do the other one in that pair? Unmasking the Idol? I feel like RLM is where i heard about it but may be wrong.

They did Never Too Young to Die, which starred John Stamos, Vanity, and Gene Simmons, with a glorified cameo by George Lazenby (IIRC, they all but said he was James Bond, and that Stamos was basically playing Bond's son)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dick Tracy is a hell of a hard sell today; even more so than when the movie was made like 35 years ago. The studio that made it thought it was gonna be their big Indiana-Jones-style action franchise; dunno WTF they were thinking
for some reason the studio response to the success of Tim Burton's Batman was to start licensing 1930's pulp characters like The Shadow and The Phantom

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when i was a kid on roadtrips we would sometimes listen to the old 'the shadow' radio plays

so therefore i must be just aching to delve into the Shadowverse