Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't know if it's canon to Remake's chronology, but President Shinra also used to to bottomside and cavort with the hookers in Honey Bee Inn. He also had a second bastard kid with someone from the slums: Evan Townsend, who is, curiously, the one short story character aside from Denzel who doesn't show up in Remake.

Oh yeah, President Shinra DID have that weird Eyes Wide Shut roleplay thing in the old Honeybee Inn, didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To be fair, I have it on good authority that nothing good is in outer space in Final Fantasy

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gologle posted:

To be fair, I have it on good authority that nothing good is in outer space in Final Fantasy

As you don't stop by the moon it can't hurt to have a looks see, surely.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I like how even President Shinra knows Palmer is a useless sack of poo poo that doesn't do anything and no one likes, or even want to be around, but he also doesn't care enough to replace him with someone who is at least pleasant to be around.

I mean, Hojo is a gross creep, too, but at least he just hides in his lab all day and gets actual results.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I like how even President Shinra knows Palmer is a useless sack of poo poo that doesn't do anything and no one likes, or even want to be around, but he also doesn't care enough to replace him with someone who is at least pleasant to be around.

I mean, Hojo is a gross creep, too, but at least he just hides in his lab all day and gets actual results.

Palmer is a perfectly functional table gremlin who can sit at the meeting and politely giggle when the others talk about doing something evil, and that's really all they need from him.

What else are they gonna do, let that Mayor Domino nerd hang with them?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Palmer popularized the mako-based internal combustion engine analogues now ubiquitous in consumer automobiles like 40 years ago and has been coasting on that goodwill ever since

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Palmer's probably like the loadbearing yet seemingly useless Jenga block you don't want to remove because it will bring the whole tower crashing down. Dude's probably got a whole slate of competent underlings working to make sure the trains literally run on time and poo poo and the system runs so well in his absence that if you replaced him with a new face, it would completely destroy the equilibrium because they'd try to actually be a manager and change things.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Caidin posted:

What else are they gonna do, let that Mayor Domino nerd hang with them?

I bet you Reeve is the only executive that knows Domino's name or even remembers that he exists at all.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

nine-gear crow posted:

Palmer's probably like the loadbearing yet seemingly useless Jenga block you don't want to remove because it will bring the whole tower crashing down. Dude's probably got a whole slate of competent underlings working to make sure the trains literally run on time and poo poo and the system runs so well in his absence that if you replaced him with a new face, it would completely destroy the equilibrium because they'd try to actually be a manager and change things.

I'm not joking, this post hits way too close to home for some jobs I have been at.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gologle posted:

I'm not joking, this post hits way too close to home for some jobs I have been at.

:same:

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Alright y'all, I'm almost up to chapter 14 in my hard mode run of Remake. Problem is, it has been a massive slog getting through it. Every boss fight has been unbelievably annoying and having to see the same cutscenes over and over again during every retry is making me question some of my life choices. Is it worth it to see it through to the end(sunk-cost fallacy, also the possibility I've seen the worst of it) or should I just put this poo poo on easy so I can get to Intermission, which I still haven't played, before Rebirth hits

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, from what I remember of Original Game Scarlet, she was very much an "I am invincible!" type of overconfident dumbshit until literally the last second before the Prod Clod exploded out from under her. So her characterization in Intergrade tracks completely.

Yeah, I guess this is another example of FF7 Remake hitting a little of weird because it's using actual cinematic direction and psychological realism to depict the reactions of our protagonists to events that are objectively ridiculous. Yuffie has become a character with a certain amount of depth who has normal human reactions to (most) things, but everybody at Shinra is still a cartoon, so when they're in a room together one of them has to give.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sephiroth

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I like Remake's version of the boardroom scene with Scarlet and Heidegger getting pumped for torturing Aerith and then Hojo goes and spoils their fun by being creepy about breeding her. Like not even these two psychopaths are cool with Hojo's poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Im also trying to finish crisis core before rebirth and they just told me i finished 10% of the missions lol... what if I just beelined the story

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Started on the demo an hour ago and I'm still giggling over that simultaneous "You rear end in a top hat!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shoehead posted:

I like Remake's version of the boardroom scene with Scarlet and Heidegger getting pumped for torturing Aerith and then Hojo goes and spoils their fun by being creepy about breeding her. Like not even these two psychopaths are cool with Hojo's poo poo.

Yeah, they suddenly look like they want to puke then and there and the Prez just spikes the meeting immediately because Hojo made it weird.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
https://youtu.be/zhIG8Qc_72Y?si=2cZPej4JPbgF2nMF

Sorry for hating

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I want to point out that Palmer is explicitly only the head of the Space and Aeronautics Division, not general transit, meaning he literally does nothing at the moment. I think transport logistics might actually fall under Reeve.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Literally everyone but Reeve on Team Shinra is some kind of megalomaniac dumbass
Yeah, he's the diversity hire

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reeve might not be as megalomanical as the rest of the board but Cait Sith proves he may be just as intensly strange as them.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Quick aside from the character stuff, do we know for sure what the release schedule is yet? Is it Midnight On The 29th In My Account's Timezone? Also are we supposed to have a preload yet? Been a while since I planned this much around a release but this one feels worthy.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The preload will start tonight at midnight in your time zone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Blockhouse posted:

I want to point out that Palmer is explicitly only the head of the Space and Aeronautics Division, not general transit, meaning he literally does nothing at the moment. I think transport logistics might actually fall under Reeve.

Reev has carriage of anything Shinra does that you could classify as useful.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

nine-gear crow posted:

Literally everyone but Reeve on Team Shinra is some kind of megalomaniac dumbass and they all pay for their hubris spectacularly. Aside from Palmer, I suppose, because no one gives a poo poo to check in on Palmer once Shinra No.26 fails to stop Meteor. I'm guessing Rufus just immediately fired him, because he's just like loving gone from the game after that.

Reeve thinks he can run around fixing things behind the scenes after the rest of the board members gently caress things up which is intensely hubristic in its own sad way.

I assume that they all know about his weird cat robot thing and think he's as intensely weird and gross like the rest of them.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I’ve gotten to where Rebirth starts in the original FF7 game, and hope to get past the forgotten capital by the 29th.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

Reeve thinks he can run around fixing things behind the scenes after the rest of the board members gently caress things up which is intensely hubristic in its own sad way.

I assume that they all know about his weird cat robot thing and think he's as intensely weird and gross like the rest of them.

Theres an Ultimania that says Reeve has Blue Fairy powers or something where he can bring inanimate objects to life, so I'm hoping Rebirth really gets into just.. Reeves whole deal really. Is Cait Sith a robot or a doll or a robot that only works because Reeve says so. Is Cait entirely remote controlled or a separate entity or what?

Just a few more days now

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Reeve posts regularly on Midgar’s version of Something Awful

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

HD DAD posted:

Reeve has too much empathy for that.

Now, Heidegger? That's a guy who thought spending 10 gil on the internet was a wise decision.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Caidin posted:

Theres an Ultimania that says Reeve has Blue Fairy powers or something where he can bring inanimate objects to life, so I'm hoping Rebirth really gets into just.. Reeves whole deal really. Is Cait Sith a robot or a doll or a robot that only works because Reeve says so. Is Cait entirely remote controlled or a separate entity or what?

Just a few more days now

What.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

i think It's really a thing from like an earlier version of the games script but you almost never hangout with him personally so I like to think this in fact a thing he can still do and it just doesn't come up much.

Outside of when he needs a weird cat spy.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Must have been hard being a furry on SA back then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that's a thing from one of the earlier Ultimanias. As the wiki puts it:

quote:

Reeve is an Inspire, a person with the supernatural ability of animating and manipulating inorganic matter, which he uses to bring life to and control the various Cait Siths seen through the Final Fantasy VII series.

From his wiki entry here: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Reeve_Tuesti#Abilities

So Cait Sith is Pinocchio to Reeve's Gepetto, I guess?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Reeve sits at his desk, contemplating every decision he’s ever made that led him to this position. With a flick of his wrist, his coffee mug sprouts tiny arms and legs and dances around his keyboard, coming to a rest after a few twirls. This did not bring the joy Reeve hoped, so he sighs and opens back up Shin-Excel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's genuinely kind of funny to realize that Reeve never actually meets the protagonists face to face so all they know of him is an adorable cartoon cat and spying on his via a vent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So is Cait Sith's deal that he's being directly controlled by Reeve, or is he his own lifeform that is just in contact with Reeve?

I assumed the former, but the weird Inspire stuff kinda implies it's maybe the latter.

(Spoiler tags just in case anyone else doesn't want this plot twist elaborated on)

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Cait Sith as a sentient being Reeve has blessed with life and childlike wonder and formed a bond with, rather than a robot he controls with a lever, makes the Temple end bit go from silly to tragic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So is Cait Sith's deal that he's being directly controlled by Reeve, or is he his own lifeform that is just in contact with Reeve?

I assumed the former, but the weird Inspire stuff kinda implies it's maybe the latter.

(Spoiler tags just in case anyone else doesn't want this plot twist elaborated on)

Cait Sith is a robot that Reeve built but also "brought to life" magically, so he's both a robot who can be directly controlled by Reeve and an autonomous entity (AI or otherwise). There are times in the original game, for example, when Reeve is imprisoned and not controlling Cait Sith but Cait Sith keeps on going on his own. He does have his own separate identity and personality. It's possible Rebirth will expand on or contradict this but this is the lore as of the original game and compilation.

edit: or not! This might just be Ultimatnia/Compilation stuff

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 26, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cait Sith's entry in the og manual is pretty good.

Job: Toysaurus
Weapon: Megaphone
Height: 1'2"
Birthdate: Unknown
Birthplace: Unknown
Blood Type: Unknown

Cait Sith rides around on the back of a huge stuffed Mog he magically brought to life. Megaphone in hand, he's always shouting orders and creating dopey attacks. When his slot machine attack works, the enemy lines look like an overturned toy box. His hobby is fortunetelling but like his personality it's pretty unreliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Cait Sith is a robot that Reeve built but also "brought to life" magically, so he's both a robot who can be directly controlled by Reeve and an autonomous entity (AI or otherwise). There are times in the original game, for example, when Reeve is imprisoned and not controlling Cait Sith but Cait Sith keeps on going on his own. He does have his own separate identity and personality. It's possible Rebirth will expand on or contradict this but this is the lore as of the original game and compilation.

This actually isn't the case in the original. Reeve directly controls Cait Sith somehow. There's a scene where he is in a meeting with Scarlet and Heidegger and talking to the party at the same time and he actually ends up using the wrong accent because he's so flustered. It's also why it's clear Reeve has some sort of mental control over Cait because he's not like typing into a computer or whatever when doing it, dude is just in two places at once.