Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Monathin posted:

Mervis is both the singular and the plural form, obviously.

Mattews Mervis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Cubs are doing am infomercial for a company called Sloan during the Cubs game. It's such a bizarre telecast.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

humpthewind posted:

https://x.com/JomboyMedia/status/1761835597684150542?s=20

This is far more important than another page of Cubs dreaming.

Pretend I was able to dig up a good clip/gif from the old SNL McLaughlin Group skits that start out with :wrong:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Niwrad posted:

The Cubs are doing am infomercial for a company called Sloan during the Cubs game. It's such a bizarre telecast.

Sloan is a huge Cubs sponsor and the namesake of their field in Mesa. They created the piss troughs in Wrigley's bleachers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Sloan is a huge Cubs sponsor and the namesake of their field in Mesa. They created the piss troughs in Wrigley's bleachers.

We used to build things in this country!

(I was at Sloan Field using the non-trough urinals during the AzFL and was like "Oh hey the plumbing is the same brand as the name of the stadium, that's funny!" and then I remembered the edible I took not long before.)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I have no idea if Jakob Marsee is for real, but I'm hoping Preller and Shildt give him a chance to prove it. Dude has a great eye, and it's not as if there are a ton of other outfielder prospects kicking down the door.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Niwrad posted:

Sloan is one of the larger plumbing fixture companies in the country. Sloan, Kohler, Delta, and American Standard are the big ones. Sloan seems to sponsor tons of Cubs stuff.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sloan is one of the larger plumbing fixture companies in the country. Sloan, Kohler, Delta, and American Standard are the big ones. Sloan seems to sponsor tons of Cubs stuff.

The jokes write themselves.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

I have no idea if Jakob Marsee is for real, but I'm hoping Preller and Shildt give him a chance to prove it. Dude has a great eye, and it's not as if there are a ton of other outfielder prospects kicking down the door.

Padres fans need to chill on Marsee. He's barely played above high-A and has been labeled a fourth outfielder by numerous prospect writers. They should get a real centerfielder and let Marsee develop.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

live with fruit posted:

Padres fans need to chill on Marsee. He's barely played above high-A and has been labeled a fourth outfielder by numerous prospect writers. They should get a real centerfielder and let Marsee develop.

I don't think he is the solution, but he deserves a decent look.

I'm just excited that he's getting a chance to play, and that he's hitting. :shrug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They had a real centerfielder, his name was Juan Soto

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Wasn't Soto considered a bad defender even in the corners, let alone in center?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Cubs got a bunch of centerfielders now. They should give the Padres one.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

live with fruit posted:

You’re right. Have fun with Mike Tauchman.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bregor posted:

You’re right. Have fun with Mike Tauchman.

The funny thing is that Tauchman's on the bench in Chicago and could hit lead off in San Diego.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

Got a catcher or any pitchers who are decent?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

We have Yan Gomes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mustached Demon posted:

We have Yan Gomes.

He's 37 and there's no way he's gonna be able to catch as many games again this year. I'd like to say I have faith in Amaya to pick up the slack but I don't.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Honestly surprised the Braves haven't tried to move d'Arnaud speaking of catchers

e: Like I get that you have to have a backup catcher but it seems like the value of what you could get for d"Arnaud is higher than the value you get having him backup Murphy

Intruder fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 26, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

They've got a knuckleballer starter.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

Honestly surprised the Braves haven't tried to move d'Arnaud speaking of catchers

e: Like I get that you have to have a backup catcher but it seems like the value of what you could get for d"Arnaud is higher than the value you get having him backup Murphy

Old catchers really don't fetch much on the trade market.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The Braves value having two starting-caliber catchers extremely highly and have since before AA took over

The team also considers d’Arnaud a core clubhouse guy

I can’t really envision a scenario where it makes sense to trade him. He’s not going to bring in a haul, and it’s not like the Braves have a desperate need for a back-end starter or middle reliever

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/1761942264740217268

Chicago's hogging all the league minimum vets.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bravesword posted:

The Braves value having two starting-caliber catchers extremely highly and have since before AA took over

The team also considers d’Arnaud a core clubhouse guy

I can’t really envision a scenario where it makes sense to trade him. He’s not going to bring in a haul, and it’s not like the Braves have a desperate need for a back-end starter or middle reliever

also the dropoff to like Chadwick Tromp is huge, if you trade d’Arnaud and Murphy goes down for any amount of time you’re stuck with an immense lineup void for however long

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dressed up like a million-dollar trouper
The Chicago Cubs signed Garrett Cooper
Super duper

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Dressed up like a million-dollar trouper
The Chicago Cubs signed Garrett Cooper
Super duper

Just remember ALL COOPS when you spell the man name

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

It's been a different NL West member both of the last two years, so given that it's also an Even Year, I'm going to say the trend continues and this year it's the Giants.
folks we’ve been over this

It’s the Rockies turn to face LA in the DS (SF in 21, SD in 22, AZ in 23). This is the funniest outcome for at least two reasons:

1) duh it’s the Rockies ffs
2) it would mean that every NLWest opponent has beaten the Dodgers in the NLDS except the Giants, who lost to the Dodgers after setting a franchise wins record

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This is the year Kris Bryant finally awakens from his long slumber and puts up a Coors-fueled 60 HR MVP season on route to the Rockies finishing 73-89.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Forgive me if this joke has already been made but I just realized baseball has had a ball problem in like 3 of the last 5 years

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

This is the year Kris Bryant finally awakens from his long slumber and puts up a Coors-fueled 60 HR MVP season on route to the Rockies finishing 73-89.

more like a coors fueld hangover after drinking his IL related sorrows away

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Intruder posted:

more like a coors fueld hangover after drinking his IL related sorrows away

Can you blame him for missing wearing that iconic CubbIS uniform and being a piece of the 2nd most popular team in the state after STL?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/liamfennessy_/status/1762118488422789202?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Imagine not signing one of the four big Boras clients. lmao.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I would prefer Monty not sign with Boston and beat the Yankees 4 times a year for the next 6 years.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I would prefer Monty not sign with Boston and beat the Yankees 4 times a year for the next 6 years.

I think this would be funny as long as Boston is irrelevant and those 4 games knocked the Yankees out of the division race

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Forrest on Fire posted:

Can you blame him for missing wearing that iconic CubbIS uniform and being a piece of the 2nd most popular team in the state after STL?

Imagine even thinking about Illinois south of I-80

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Buddy you're asking for a Belleville Bellringer

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I occasionally think about Urbana, but that's because that's where HAL 9000 was built.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
the very southern bit of Illinois is one of the most dire places I’ve seen in this country and I’ve pretty much seen all of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
there's a southern Illinois?