Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Season 2 guitar witch was funny in how much she kept popping up but not nearly as annoying as the godawful slow cover music in season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

s2 has some fantastic bit part characters too. well acted!
-the hippie ram dass knock off dad
-the plastic surgeon/psychiatrist
-the mayor + his son
-nails
-stan

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
S2's plot isn't as convoluted as S4 but still has its moments of dragging or not being that provocative. It's really saved by the acting. Everyone killed it.

I think S4's acting is a bit overrated. Jodie Foster is a great actress but she didn't exactly push her chops. It was probably the fault of the writing but she was pretty one note throughout without any real memorable scenes, at least for me. Like they had her just talking into an iPhone with earbuds in for 3 minutes. Pete does fine and so do the supporting actors but nothing stand out. Navarro's actress is pretty wooden and one note too. Again, probably the fault of the writing, but she was just angry face in every scene and her line delivery wasn't that great. As much as we make fun of it the only standouts that I remember were the cleaning lady posse, both during the revelation scene and the vigilante justice scene.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I don't remember anything about season 2 except somebody riding a motorcycle at night, colin farrell having a dream about a cowboy singing on stage, and for some reason my brain is telling me there's a scene where he punches a 10 year old

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Origami Dali posted:

I don't remember anything about season 2 except somebody riding a motorcycle at night, colin farrell having a dream about a cowboy singing on stage, and for some reason my brain is telling me there's a scene where he punches a 10 year old

Assaults the ten year olds father in front of him(they both deserved it)

Also lol at the cowboy scene wtf was that?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

maybe it was the elvis impersonator singing on stage "they say love..."¬¬¬
start of s02e02 or s02e03

my favourite hokey moment in s2 is when paul (the ex-soldier motorbike cop) goes to a sports game or car race or something with his friend. it feels so weird for them to be doing a 'off the clock normal person thing' half way through this batshit insane case.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MechaSeinfeld posted:

The singing witch in the divebar out of time kicks rear end

yup

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL3AuyOfBtI

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cithen posted:

Season 2 is legitimately :krad:. It just suffers from being not Season 1.

The problem I had with 2 at the time it came out was...it was just a freaking onslaught of characters thrown at you week after week. I remember reading a synopsis of what was going on at the time to try to get a handle on it.

Anyways, before my now ongoing rewatch, viewed another video that breaks it down quite nicely which makes it more enjoyable since you can pay attention and laugh at more of the absurdity of it all.

Yeah, of course the VV lines...but always a good chuckle when someone responds back to him with just a goofy reply and VV does the ... back. lulz

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Also lol at the cowboy scene wtf was that?

He was dreaming about a fake elvis singing on stage while talking to his dad at the dive bar.

e: was beaten by a country mile.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 25, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

god help you sons of bitches if this thread convinces me to watch season two again

it was awful, you lunatics

wrong

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ray, the duality of man in a cosmic sense is that some prefer steak and some prefer the sizzle. Myself, I focus on the baked potato for my spiritual consumption.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol:love:

I don't know how people can not like that season. Yes, ok, it certainly has its fault, but it is also a genuinely creative work of art with a unique interesting aesthetic style and artistic voice. The acting was fantastic. It has a lot of memorable scenes. S4 feels like soulless forgettable gruel in comparison(not that it is a bad season of TV in absolute terms, it's just not doing anything special, interesting or memorable)

I pissed myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Fn7GZjR0Q&t=140s

Medical researchers use this to induce depression in test subjects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mszf5Jcgzc

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
season 3 of sons of anarchy is when the series really gets going

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

“It's like everything is paper mache.
Season 2 allowed for some great, and some not so great, deep dive head-canon posting: https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/6rg70b/spoilers_crows_and_tracing_the_unseen_web_in_true/
https://biblioklept.org/2015/08/08/a-riff-on-true-detective-season-2s-neon-noir-satire/
etc

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The murder of the disease curing miracle microbe was the real crime

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Just finished S2. It fucks.

Forgot about the batshit train station poo poo. Hell Frank had basically the entire weaponry of Tunisia's army in some poo poo speakeasy with substandard mattresses. I remember chuckling a few episodes back on that laundry list on a notepad that looks like some intern wrote it needing shotguns and grenade launchers down to the model types.

With Velcoro strutting around in a cowboy hat to avoid authorities with that disguise (might be what another poster was hallucinating further up)...to the Brother going nutso and then everyone including Holloway getting lit up by friendly fire. Greatness.

Is the ending perfect? Hell no. I would have made several changes.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just finished S2. It fucks.

Forgot about the batshit train station poo poo. Hell Frank had basically the entire weaponry of Tunisia's army in some poo poo speakeasy with substandard mattresses. I remember chuckling a few episodes back on that laundry list on a notepad that looks like some intern wrote it needing shotguns and grenade launchers down to the model types.

With Velcoro strutting around in a cowboy hat to avoid authorities with that disguise (might be what another poster was hallucinating further up)...to the Brother going nutso and then everyone including Holloway getting lit up by friendly fire. Greatness.

Is the ending perfect? Hell no. I would have made several changes.
Hell yeah. I think one fun/interesting component of the ending was watching Frank almost escape to South America so many times. He had so many chances to leave with his life but kept going back for one more thing and then "i want my jacket back" hahaha powpow

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Lampsacus posted:

Hell yeah. I think one fun/interesting component of the ending was watching Frank almost escape to South America so many times. He had so many chances to leave with his life but kept going back for one more thing and then "i want my jacket back" hahaha powpow

There was a lot going on that whole freight-train-sized from hell plot. He knew he needed more cash to bring him back to "whole" (or where his previous life was) along with his wife.

And then you realize his thinking/ways is during the desert march.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, I love this storyline and character arc. He just keeps confidently making mistakes thinking he's Main Character but it was only going to end one way. It's a tragedy of three men who die. One little bit of foreshadowing is their auras (e1) match how they die. Black and Green for the one who dies in the forest etc.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I feel like Season Two was the last time the show had ambition to be great, even if it whiffed. Three and Four in retrospect seem to be built on the first principle of "make it like Season One but tweak it a little bit."

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I feel like most of the defenses of season two come down to it being a satire, and my problem with that defense is it basically waves away any instances of over-the-top bad writing or delivery with "well you can't take that seriously, it's a satire" — as though Nic Pizzolatto has ever done anything other than demand to be taken very seriously. They have a word for satire that doesn't realize it's satire: trash.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Toaster Beef posted:

I feel like most of the defenses of season two come down to it being a satire, and my problem with that defense is it basically waves away any instances of over-the-top bad writing or delivery with "well you can't take that seriously, it's a satire" — as though Nic Pizzolatto has ever done anything other than demand to be taken very seriously. They have a word for satire that doesn't realize it's satire: trash.

I don’t think it’s satire at all. I think it’s just weird and funny and very out there. It’s very clearly funny though. You don’t have a line about smoking robot dick without it being funny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s like pizza lotto was self-conscious about writing old-timey noir dialogue and had to make it arch. Just go whole hog if you’re going to do a pulpy mystery with cops and a private eye.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It's common knowledge that S2 suffered by HBO mandating a very quick writing and turn around production. I think if the latest, s4's, show runner/writer had been brought in to S2 they would have done a much better job.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This is all psy-op to make me watch season 2 again and I’m not falling for it

(I am)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Velcoro calling his son a fat pussy will always be funny

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
rear end-pen

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Velcoral Farrel's dad complaining about the last batch of weed his son brought him was funny too.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Toaster Beef posted:

Sure, that scene when Velcoro gets shot, meets an Elvis impersonator in the afterlife and then wakes up declaring that he pissed himself was totally, 100% intended to be serious. Absolutely not satirizing the genre. Ffs, look at the makeup they put on Lera Lynn(the bar witch) in all her scenes. They drew dark circles under her eyes and sprayed her with water. She looks like she's going through a heroin withdrawal while signing. It's so incredibly and intentionally over the top.

S1 had its satirical elements too. Cohle is clearly a caricature of a human being. Every second word out of his mouth is just satirizing the self-important noir genre and people who take themselves way too serious, like reddit Atheist or whatever those roko's basilisk guys are called.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cohle has the self-awareness to realize that he is too pathetic and weird for normal society. He’s properly ashamed when Marty tells him that he can’t say the kind of things he says in their car rides when he’s over for dinner. He’s not actually cool and he knows that he’s actually a loser outside of the very specific realm of being a detective. It’s what makes the two of them work as characters, imo.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

“I smell piss”

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Farrels relationship with his son was some of the most engrossing believable acting i’ve ever seen,i wanted it to work out for them so bad.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
you can watch a show and enjoy it without analyzing or even knowing the intent of the writers, directors or really any other context outside the show. hth

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

E: nm i misread the post

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 26, 2024

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Admittedly I have to rewatch Season 2 but from what I'm recalling, it took itself seriously despite being comical, whereas Season 1 took itself seriously and wasn't comical at all. I'd probably love it more if I rewatched it now with the idea that it wasn't TD Season 2 but just its own goofy thing.

I honestly need to rewatch both season 1 and 2 because I just can't remember anything anymore.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Admittedly I have to rewatch Season 2 but from what I'm recalling, it took itself seriously despite being comical, whereas Season 1 took itself seriously and wasn't comical at all. I'd probably love it more if I rewatched it now with the idea that it wasn't TD Season 2 but just its own goofy thing.

I honestly need to rewatch both season 1 and 2 because I just can't remember anything anymore.

colin farrell is a silly boy. also 7 psychopaths is good

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

covidstomper58 posted:

Velcoral Farrel's dad complaining about the last batch of weed his son brought him was funny too.

I liked how velcarro's glove box had every fix for every type of bender.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Whenever I do my yearly rewatch of s1, I always finish it with a rewatch of s2. Its like a chaser. I have never rewatched s3 since it aired. it just feels so 'pointless? because the solution to the main mystery at the end wasn't some deeper conspiracy or borderline cosmic horror and that makes it feel strangely... dull? boring? i'm not sure how to phrase it. but its been years since i've seen it so hey -, maybe it's time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Lampsacus posted:

Whenever I do my yearly rewatch of s1, I always finish it with a rewatch of s2. Its like a chaser. I have never rewatched s3 since it aired. it just feels so 'pointless? because the solution to the main mystery at the end wasn't some deeper conspiracy or borderline cosmic horror and that makes it feel strangely... dull? boring? i'm not sure how to phrase it. but its been years since i've seen it so hey -, maybe it's time!

Exactly how i feel,there was no resolution to anything in season 3.It was just miserable.

I would have just preffered a true detective vietnam.