Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The idea of playing Yakuza dubbed is so abhorrent. I mean, I've never been part of the "subs not dubs!" debate in any medium because everyone I've ever known has always played with subtitles. For a brief moment, when I started Yakuza 7 it started with the English dub and I was like WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

Infinite Wealth: the new karaoke theme “hands” is…idk, they don’t have subtitles for the tracks and I turned on Japanese voices for the songs, but I’m guessing it’s about Kiryu’s thoughts about his grandson going by the images/vibes. Anyway! It had the leitmotif from the one song you’ll hear a million times in Yakuza 5 in a few spots, So Much More, which is just great.

it's originally from yakuza 6 as a post-completion song, which deals with kiryu/grandson dynamics a lot more. so yeah you're pretty much correct!

the general vibe is "wow you're growing up so fast! soon it will be you who gives their everything for someone else and leaves forever! but for now it's me! woo!" and, much like all of kiryu's songs, it's insanely depressing in context but extremely jaunty to listen to

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh that explains why I never heard it, I think I moved directly on to Judgement afterwards and was very much NOT feeling 6 on a lot of levels.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yakuza/LAD games are frequently funny (particularly 7 and Infinite Wealth) and because humour is pretty hard to subtitle when languages have different puns and word orders and so on, the dub is pretty good.

Generally speaking, comedy is one of the genres where dubs are a better experience.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's originally from yakuza 6 as a post-completion song, which deals with kiryu/grandson dynamics a lot more. so yeah you're pretty much correct!

the general vibe is "wow you're growing up so fast! soon it will be you who gives their everything for someone else and leaves forever! but for now it's me! woo!" and, much like all of kiryu's songs, it's insanely depressing in context but extremely jaunty to listen to

me whenever the doctor tries to talk to me about my bloodwork:

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Witcher 3 is a million miles better in Polish

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Quadramind posted:

Witcher 3 is a million miles better in Polish

Hard disagree on this. The English VO uses regional accents for each area, so NPCs in Skellige sound different from ones in Velen. The Polish language track doesn't do this and has no regional accent distinctions.

Plus, afaik, the English VO is completed first and the other language tracks (inc Polish) use that as their model).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Shame on everyone who doesn't play Max Payne with the Finnish audio.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Hard disagree on this. The English VO uses regional accents for each area, so NPCs in Skellige sound different from ones in Velen. The Polish language track doesn't do this and has no regional accent distinctions.

Plus, afaik, the English VO is completed first and the other language tracks (inc Polish) use that as their model).

that just makes it hurt all the more whenever geralt opens his mouth

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bewilderment posted:

Yakuza/LAD games are frequently funny (particularly 7 and Infinite Wealth) and because humour is pretty hard to subtitle when languages have different puns and word orders and so on, the dub is pretty good.

Generally speaking, comedy is one of the genres where dubs are a better experience.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kennel posted:

Shame on everyone who doesn't play Max Payne with the Finnish audio.

Real heads play Max Payne in korean.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bewilderment posted:

I wish I could play with everyone but Kiryu dubbed. I don’t even think the English VA for Kiryu is bad, but I’ve been playing Yakuza games for a decade+ and am so used to the Japanese VA that anything else sounds wrong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wish I could play with everyone but Kiryu dubbed. I don’t even think the English VA for Kiryu is bad, but I’ve been playing Yakuza games for a decade+ and am so used to the Japanese VA that anything else sounds wrong.

Will have to out myself as a nerd for this but I'm the same with DBZ. I originally started watching via the dubs but after watching the Japanese version so much the English voices don't sound like the characters, they sound like fans doing imitations. Talented fans, mind you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'd play the dub if yongyea wasn't in it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Give it time, there’ll probably be a Kuroda patch for the dub eventually for a replay.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The only games where I've changed from the default language were the last two Zeldas.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Having the chatty little flowers in SMB Wonder talk in French or Brazilian Portuguese was fun.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bewilderment posted:

Nah, Japanese comedy works fine and is still extremely funny when subtitled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWLyn9ZWC3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsyoKI50isE

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I really like the writing in Pacific Drive. The character writing is good, but the descriptions for various components and such really shine. An example of a few:

https://twitter.com/Clownski__/status/1762024277027459172

There are running threads through the descriptions too, as the trunk ones keep getting prouder and prouder about the size of American trunks and how they're superior to the British, or the constant commenting on gasoline fumes emanating from the gas tank you've placed in your backseat.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Last Celebration posted:

I actually have been subjecting myself to the dub aside from karaoke because I like the not-Kiryu characters from LAD7 and i can just watch the cutscenes either on YouTube or ingame later. Filthy traitor, I know, etc.

I mean, I didn’t play Gaiden dubbed because im not insane though, so I’m not completely depraved. Just somewhat,

I played LAD dubbed, because I guess it kinda fit. But when I loaded up Gaiden and subbed fit better.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny
I'm a dubbed guy too. Bounced off the old yakuza games because I don't like beat-em-ups, but love Y7 and LADIW because i do enjoy me a good jRPG. The only thing that has bugged me in either game is matt mercer as Majima, because it just sounds exactly like matt mercer doing a soft whispery voice and not like an excitable deranged squealing nutjob. Probably an issue with VA direction more than anything.

Also listening to english kiryu sing Hands is something that everyone has to experience once in their life. It is deliriously bizarre. The english translations of japanese songs heightens the yakuza weirdness.

I guess in terms of favorite little things, I really enjoy the "insta-win" button in the new LAD:Infinite Wealth. Makes mindless grinding very very relaxing.

Eels has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Feb 26, 2024

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

There are running threads through the descriptions too, as the trunk ones keep getting prouder and prouder about the size of American trunks and how they're superior to the British, or the constant commenting on gasoline fumes emanating from the gas tank you've placed in your backseat.

Noticed this when I got the next trunk upgrade. Had a good laughed at that description

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The American guy speaking English in LAD is way funnier with English dub.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like the upgrade system in Skyrim. You get better at what you actually do in the game.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Now I'm going to assume that a good number of people here played Dungeon Keeper and found themselves entranced by the voice acting of the narrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGu-e_cWXc

I was too until a friend of mine showed me a clip of the French voice acting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4m72unCsOs&t=168s

And then suddenly the English version became very very underwhelming.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

I'd play the dub if yongyea wasn't in it

Does whoever he voice also take 601 seconds to repeat stuff that other people say and then end it with "Well I guess thats what everyone else is saying, put what you think in the comments below"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Replaying it today: Max Payne 3 is pretty well known for making you feel like a fish out of water by leaving the Portuguese untranslated, and I just noticed that Rockstar has fun with your American sensibilities through one character. Your former cop buddy Raul Passos is not Brazilian but he pretends to be to get Max to join him there for the game's events. He is actually Colombian. It's perhaps the one twist that you can't spot early because they don't foreshadow it... Or do they! At one point you get shot at and he curses in Spanish, not Portuguese. Hey, how the hell would Max orrrrr rather the player know, right? ;)

It helps that Passos' actor is actually Spanish speaking in kind with the actors for the Brancos who really are Brazilian (or at least speak real Portuguese). Today you can hear Passos in Pokemon! He is Pikachu.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Feb 26, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
ALSO, you can do this, and it looks either very fun if you're Max or just miserable if you're a human

https://i.imgur.com/bn68FFs.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

ALSO, you can do this, and it looks either very fun if you're Max or just miserable if you're a human

Lol, I think about that every time the game comes up. I don't think any player in history would have the restraint to not try it, just to see what happens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Certainly makes the name Max Pain appropriate.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sam Lake loves puns that are so stupidly obvious they loop back around to actually being genius.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When he couldn't use Max Payne in the Alan Wake franchise, he created a new detective named Alex Casey

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Oh because he's a detective, I get it

(I'm not a clever lady)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Sam Lake loves puns that are so stupidly obvious they loop back around to actually being genius.

I unironically love goofy pun names so it's fine by me.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Replaying it today: Max Payne 3 is pretty well known for making you feel like a fish out of water by leaving the Portuguese untranslated, and I just noticed that Rockstar has fun with your American sensibilities through one character. Your former cop buddy Raul Passos is not Brazilian but he pretends to be to get Max to join him there for the game's events. He is actually Colombian. It's perhaps the one twist that you can't spot early because they don't foreshadow it... Or do they! At one point you get shot at and he curses in Spanish, not Portuguese. Hey, how the hell would Max orrrrr rather the player know, right? ;)

It helps that Passos' actor is actually Spanish speaking in kind with the actors for the Brancos who really are Brazilian (or at least speak real Portuguese). Today you can hear Passos in Pokemon! He is Pikachu.

I should replay mp3. I never finished it because it loving hated my last computer and crashed constantly

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's way better than it has any right to be, given that it was moved off to different developers two games in. It's also super cool that James McAffrey (:rip:) was finally the character model, which feels like it should always have been the case.

(aside from the fact that doing so would remove one of the best and weirder components of the whole Remedyverse narrative)

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
The HEALTH track during the airport shootout is so good that it makes me want to replay it every time I hear it. I just lost a Saturday afternoon a few weeks back playing it straight through.

Reminder that El Paso Elsewhere is very very Max Payne and on sale right now on steam.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I started Chants of Sennaar tonight and stayed up way too late playing it. It checks off so many of my boxes

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

aardwolf posted:

Sorry if this has been covered before but I just played it:

Not only does the new Robocop game let you shoot guys in the dick there is an achievement for doing so that pretty much everybody has.

To elaborate - I've noticed that way more people have achieved the award for shooting a man in the crotch than the award for finishing the very first level of the game.

This means that a whole bunch of people presumably went so far as to purchase a RoboCop video game, successfully ticked "I want to vicariously roleplay as RoboCop shooting a guy in the dick" off their bucket list, and then immediately quit out of the software, satisfied with money well spent.

I'm not sure what this says about the state of humanity but I am a little concerned :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Opopanax posted:

I started Chants of Sennaar tonight and stayed up way too late playing it. It checks off so many of my boxes

I want to like it, I really do, but I keep on not getting what symbols represent what gestures in the book I couldn't even get the word 'God' in the first level, because I kept thinking the game was asking for 'tower'.