Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
The sorry truth is that almost no one on this planet is actually driven, politicallt, by material concerns in any real way, nor have they ever been, and the idea itself is sort of ludicrous if you've ever had to actually deal with people. The ones who are are the rich and powerful folks who you really would rather weren't (and even for them the material concerns are actually surprisingly secondary often enough)

It has pretty much never been anything but a fig leaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

ex post facho posted:

The sorry truth is that almost no one on this planet is actually driven, politicallt, by material concerns in any real way, nor have they ever been, and the idea itself is sort of ludicrous if you've ever had to actually deal with people. The ones who are are the rich and powerful folks who you really would rather weren't (and even for them the material concerns are actually surprisingly secondary often enough)

i cant understand how being this dumb is possible

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

*turns on monitor*

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is funny because they all have exactly the same neoliberal poltics. One of them just married to the governor

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

The old Hillary toxx thread is hilarious knowing everything we know now.

Unfortunately, for this upcoming election, I seriously doubt we'll see this level of delusion.

Here's the thread if you want old laughs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776185&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=60

lol

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bootleg Trunks posted:

can't revolt, at brunch

Look, taking part in any kind of revolt would not be decorous or respectful of the sanctity of the office.
And if the libs revolt, then that would just open the doors for the conservatives to revolt the next time they lose an election.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SpencerFernando/status/1761586027343626508

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1761798377149477043

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I will never show more!!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

I'm willing to punish Biden
lol

"Abandon Biden" Co-founder lol

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

ex post facho posted:

Middle class types cannot fathom losing their economic privilege, but also have no strong desire to put in the effort / lack the resources to pursue true wealth. If that's the only people you interact with, then sure.

But working class people think of their material concerns all the time, by necessity.

Wealthy people also think of their material concerns, but as a matter of class security.

It's wild that this person would describe the above basic level analysis as delusional.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Something is very wrong with :canada:

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

saving democracy lol

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
push him left by nominating him, but a tiny bit rudely

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SixteenShells posted:

push him left by nominating him, but a tiny bit rudely

Sounds like something a russian putin stooge would say.
Pushing him left is demanding unicorns.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Dark Brandon stays winning. Number one president in dead troops and children, (world title holder for child troops).

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

russiagate never ends
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1761752903797158308
https://twitter.com/a_newsman/status/1761577671752909092

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1761826397880791536

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

sara vredevoogd

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

insane clown pussy posted:

saving democracy lol

Even Hitler/the Nazis had a smaller "No" option on Anschluss.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Something is very wrong with :canada:

:canada: Operating Paperclipped all the Nazi collaborator Ukrainians from OUN, et al.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ex post facho posted:

I've been here for 20 years. I shouldn't be able to be flummoxed anymore. And yet here I stand, flummoxed.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Uphill: A Memoir

An empowering, unabashedly bold memoir by the Atlantic journalist and former ESPN SportsCenter coanchor about overcoming a legacy of pain and forging a new path, no matter how uphill life’s battles might be.

Jemele Hill’s world came crashing down when she called President Trump a “white supremacist”; the White House wanted her fired from ESPN, and she was deluged with death threats. But Hill had faced tougher adversaries growing up in Detroit than a tweeting president. Beneath the exterior of one of the most recognizable journalists in America was a need―a calling―to break her family’s cycle of intergenerational trauma.

Born in the middle of a lively routine Friday night Monopoly game to a teen mother and a heroin-addicted father, Hill constantly adjusted to the harsh realities of not only her own childhood but the inherited generational pain of her mother and grandmother. Her escape was writing.

Hill’s mother was less than impressed with the brassy and bold free expression of her diary, but Hill never stopped discovering and amplifying her voice. Through hard work and a constant willingness to learn, Hill rose from newspaper reporter to columnist to new heights as the coanchor for ESPN’s revered SportsCenter. Soon, she earned respect and support for her fearless opinions and unshakable confidence, as well as a reputation as a trusted journalist who speaks her mind with truth and conviction.

In Jemele Hill’s journey Uphill, she shares the whole story of her work, the women of her family, and her complicated relationship with God in an unapologetic, character-rich, and eloquent memoir.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Last night I laid in bed thinking about how insanely incompetent democrat is at handling trump and how they need to shut the gently caress up about Russia nobody gives a gently caress we all know he's on the dole for like a hundred oligarchs. I bet if you polled Americans if they'd rather a politician being paid by foreign interests or a politician using their position on congressional committees to steer legislation toward favored companies for kickbacks and getting fat on insider trading that they've sanctimoniously declared as very cool and very legal, with 0 regrets and openly continuing to do so while the rest of us are drowning in bidens stagnantshrinkflationomics, the answers would not be kind to the libs.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

06. Farmer Refuted

SEABURY:
Hear ye, hear ye! My name is Samuel Seabury, and I present
"Free thoughts on the proceedings of the Continental Congress!"
Heed not the rabble who scream revolution
They have not your interest at heart

MULLIGAN: Oh my god. Tear this dude apart

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punished Turtle posted:

MULLIGAN: Oh my god. Tear this dude apart

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
how long until libs blame one of the few dudes who addressed his material support of the palestinian holocaust on russian disinformation?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uninterrupted posted:

how long until libs blame one of the few dudes who addressed his material support of the palestinian holocaust on russian disinformation?

Sometimes uniforms just do that

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sara vredevoogd

I wonder if she’s related to my old local hvac people, https://www.vredevoogd.com

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ex post facho posted:

whoever posted that has absolutely never once had to worry about their own material concerns

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Srice posted:

whoever posted that has absolutely never once had to worry about their own material concerns

wrong, most working class people never worry about food and housing insecurity and instead have hours of leisure to spend reading Daily Kos, honing the edge of their liberalism

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

wrong, most working class people never worry about food and housing insecurity and instead have hours of leisure to spend reading Daily Kos, honing the edge of their liberalism

looking at the masses of struggling people and saying "let them eat NYT op-eds"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1761800163834921045

LBJ used the power of his office to push through landmark legislation that would electorally cost the democrats but hugely benefit black people. People hate Biden because he looks at a problem and his solution is "someone should do something about that". Biden would be sailing to reelection if had done something, anything, to improves peoples lives. The fact that the only tool democrats have is vote scolding should be a huge alarm for them but all they can do is make tortured "its your job to vote for us" arguments.

Muslim and arab americans are begging Biden to stand up to AIPAC and use his power to force Israel to end their genocide of Palestinians and Biden has so far refused. And they're rightly pissed about that. Why would they see Biden as a tool to get what they want when he tells them to gently caress off?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

spacemang_spliff posted:

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1761800163834921045

LBJ used the power of his office to push through landmark legislation that would electorally cost the democrats but hugely benefit black people. People hate Biden because he looks at a problem and his solution is "someone should do something about that". Biden would be sailing to reelection if had done something, anything, to improves peoples lives. The fact that the only tool democrats have is vote scolding should be a huge alarm for them but all they can do is make tortured "its your job to vote for us" arguments.

It's very funny comparing Biden to the loving master of the senate.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the vote scolding is the point, it's an end unto itself so they can feel smug and superior. they don't really care if you actually vote, the important thing is that they can scold you.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Punished Turtle's posts have reminded me how awful The Story Of Tonight is, cheesy self-aggrandizing bullshit even by that show's standards

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

the vote scolding is the point, it's an end unto itself so they can feel smug and superior. they don't really care if you actually vote, the important thing is that they can scold you.

The problem with the country is that people Vote Wrong. They vote wrong because they are bad. Yelling at people who vote wrong is how they contribute

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

ex post facho posted:

The sorry truth is that almost no one on this planet is actually driven, politicallt, by material concerns in any real way, nor have they ever been [...]

Absolutely jaw-dropping content

Well done thread

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So when people did actual communist revolutions, they weren't driven by not having enough to eat or whatever, that was, what, anti-nobility racism

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm genuinely impressed by the speed with which the argument transformed from "material conditions are not a central motivation of fascists" (mostly true) to "material conditions have no effect whatsoever on the development of fascism" (clearly ahistorical) to "material conditions are irrelevant to politics, actually" (what the hell?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

loquacius posted:

The problem with the country is that people Vote Wrong. They vote wrong because they are bad. Yelling at people who vote wrong is how they contribute

im sorry sweety, but yes. democrats have objectively better policies, and if you vote them in things get better. that's how politics works, and if you don't vote for dems you are responsible for the oppression of women, BIPOC, and all the otherPOC.

now then, time to take a big sip of coffee and check what party runs the cities that give ~50% of their budget to murderous cops...