Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Audiences have generally been smart enough to know when these movies are and aren’t in the MCU. Morbius’s marketing campaign was an explicit attempt to attach it to such a successful brand (the film’s tagline was “A New Marvel Legend Arrives”) and it didn’t work. To assume that they couldn’t tell the difference between this and the MCU - especially Sweeney, who pushed for a more comics-accurate costume for Julia Carpenter - is to believe they are completely aloof of the biggest trend in the movie industry in a way that, like, Jared Leto wouldn’t be.

Gwenyth Paltrow didn't know she was in Spider-Man: Homecoming. It seems debatable how much actors pay attention to things like whether or not the Spider-Man movie they're making is in the MCU or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A lot of big actors don’t watch movies at all or pay attention to the field beyond their own work.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The Sony/Marvel/Disney ownership status of Spidey and associated characters is such a mess I can't blame anyone for thinking Madame Web is part of the MCU.

I went to see this last week out of curiosity and it was clearly a movie where, at some point in its creation, it became clear to everyone involved this would be released in theaters no matter what. IP ownership meant it could not be Zaslav'ed no matter what the quality.
And it this was the case, it really was not that bad. You rarely get to see a movie in this state of completion in cinemas so it's memorable in that regard.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Actors are hired for being charismatic, good looking, and maybe even good at acting.

Knowing anything isn't a requirement.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 26, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pirate Jet posted:

Audiences have generally been smart enough to know when these movies are and aren’t in the MCU. Morbius’s marketing campaign was an explicit attempt to attach it to such a successful brand (the film’s tagline was “A New Marvel Legend Arrives”) and it didn’t work. To assume that they couldn’t tell the difference between this and the MCU - especially Sweeney, who pushed for a more comics-accurate costume for Julia Carpenter - is to believe they are completely aloof of the biggest trend in the movie industry in a way that, like, Jared Leto wouldn’t be.

Please do keep in mind the rumor that the script was originally about the spider-girls having to save baby Spider-Man. Spider-Man is in the MCU, so if they signed up for a Spider-Man prequel it would be completely reasonable for them to believe they were signing up for an MCU movie.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They really should just go ahead and market it as a movie so bad you have to see it.
Cats was the best time I ever had at a movie. All of Burbank impromptu'd a packed high/drunk showing and I understand the joy of Rocky Horror Picture Show now.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t believe this is proof they thought they were going to be in the MCU, especially when you consider Marvel Entertainment (the company responsible for licensing Marvel properties out to other, non-Disney studios) doesn’t have an Instagram account.
That's not true? Did you post something vile on an @marvel post that got you blocked?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Madame Web is a Marvel movie. It is a film based on Marvel Comics.

I'm sure that if the movie were successful, you'd be seeing these characters again. If it were an Official Marvel Cinematic UniverseTM movie and still did this badly, you probably wouldn't see these characters again.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I could easily see the pitch being "oh yeah trust us Tom Holland will totally turn up in this franchise at some point you really think we're gonna do Spider-man movies with NO spider-man? Cmon"

Even venom 2 and Morbius are kinda sorta MCU by virtue of end credits. If we're speculating here I can imagine some exec being so hyped about their idea and the prospect that marvel will HAVE to work with them at some point when they see how gangbusters these movies are doing to believe it's all gonna get folded back in.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 26, 2024

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lid posted:

Now now it came out Matt Smith was bamboozled too. He thought he was being offered MCU and called Karen Gillan who saud accept its a whole lot if fun not realising they would never overlap.

I really like this idea that Sony is trying to run a complicated con to dupe big name actors into appearing in their movies with the 100 million dollar version of A Car's Life.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's not even that bad a movie by Marvel standards. It's not good but I think the hate's really ratcheted up just off the bad marketing, Morbius anti-hype, and Dakota Johnson's Leonard Part 6 tour.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Das Boo posted:

They really should just go ahead and market it as a movie so bad you have to see it.
Cats was the best time I ever had at a movie. All of Burbank impromptu'd a packed high/drunk showing and I understand the joy of Rocky Horror Picture Show now.

Yeah, that worked so well for them...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Studios should try making good movies

Like madame web

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MacheteZombie posted:

Like madame web

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, that worked so well for them...

I mean, not much risk now.

Might as well have some fun with it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Like kraven

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yup

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lid posted:

Now now it came out Matt Smith was bamboozled too. He thought he was being offered MCU and called Karen Gillan who saud accept its a whole lot if fun not realising they would never overlap.

I believe it entirely based on the story of Bill Murray signing on for Garfield.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

live with fruit posted:

Gwenyth Paltrow didn't know she was in Spider-Man: Homecoming. It seems debatable how much actors pay attention to things like whether or not the Spider-Man movie they're making is in the MCU or not.

She's notoriously spacy and was in that movie for like 30 seconds that they almost certainly filmed while she was already on set doing reshoots for some Iron Man or Avengers thing. I'm sure that's happened to more of them than just her too.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Warning! SPOILERS!!

https://x.com/capybaroness/status/1759312235698987411?s=20

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That sounds amazing and I need to see it

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1763913498382487913

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Japan got some cool Madame Web posters

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A damning condemnation.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sonner or later he's just gonna post the initials of movies he saw and did not like.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

He was ashamed of their words and deeds

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kojima really liked Argylle which surprised me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ccs posted:

Kojima really liked Argylle which surprised me.

i think he just likes goin to the movies

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I love Kojima but the dude is also a starfucker. So a movie like Argylle - aka one that is directly attributed to a "single visionary" - is probably not going to be something he criticizes.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Really surprised by the response as Gregg gave this 5 bags and I’m usually on the same page as him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Clearly mme web wasn’t batshit enough for him

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's pretty crazy that Madame Web has elevated Sweeney's star power more than Anyone But You, a genuine hit.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Danger posted:

Really surprised by the response as Gregg gave this 5 bags and I’m usually on the same page as him.

he wont bite the hand that feeds. he was angling for an antman crossover in the drat review

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Dakota Johnson can't fake it

quote:

Have the last two weeks been weird? A lot has happened since I saw you playing with baby animals on set for the shoot.

Yeah. I had the LA premiere for Madame Web and then went to Mexico City. I had pneumonia and was on steroids and the nebulizer and doing all these little things, and I was really, really sick and felt horrible. I looked horrible. I was like, Ugh. And then the movie came out and it was… [Pauses.] Like, I can’t take any of it seriously at all. I dunno.

Does it bother you when people write nasty reviews?

Unfortunately, I’m not surprised that this has gone down the way it has.

Is there a reason for that?

It’s so hard to get movies made, and in these big movies that get made — and it’s even starting to happen with the little ones, which is what’s really freaking me out — decisions are being made by committees, and art does not do well when it’s made by committee. Films are made by a filmmaker and a team of artists around them. You cannot make art based on numbers and algorithms. My feeling has been for a long time that audiences are extremely smart, and executives have started to believe that they’re not. Audiences will always be able to sniff out bullsh*t. Even if films start to be made with AI, humans aren’t going to f*cking want to see those.

But it was definitely an experience for me to make that movie. I had never done anything like it before. I probably will never do anything like it again because I don’t make sense in that world. And I know that now. But sometimes in this industry, you sign on to something, and it’s one thing and then as you’re making it, it becomes a completely different thing, and you’re like, Wait, what? But it was a real learning experience, and of course it’s not nice to be a part of something that’s ripped to shreds, but I can’t say that I don’t understand.

I didn't have any particular opinion on Dakota Johnson beforehand but her complete lack of shits given in the wake of this movie is very endearing to me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I hope whatever she does next does well, because it really does seem like she just got roundly hosed by the whole process of making this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's pretty crazy that Madame Web has elevated Sweeney's star power more than Anyone But You, a genuine hit.
I’m not sure why you think this but no? This movie did nothing for her star power.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wonder if actors in her position feel like they just missed their shot by a few years. Like, Anne Hathaway was an indie darling and then played Catwoman and that certainly didn't hurt her, whereas now people are tired of (or at least used to) superhero movies and the ones coming out are pieces of poo poo.

This is kind of a different case because come on, she starred in all three Fifty Shades movies.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vegetable posted:

I’m not sure why you think this but no? This movie did nothing for her star power.

Who cares, man, come on.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I also could not give a poo poo what happens to a Nepo Baby. She seems nice enough, but she could never work another day in her life and be fuckin fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bleck posted:

Who cares, man, come on.
This thread is preoccupied with what the actresses think. Multiple pages of inane poo poo like “I bet she regrets starring in this instead of Dune” or “I bet she wishes she got a superhero movie earlier.” I doubt it’s deliberate but you don’t see the same type of discussion about male-led bombs.