Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The Crusher was an actual wrestler from the 60s and 70s, mostly in the AWA territory of Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin. There's a statue of him in South Milwaukee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

I'm so confused did shelly die and get zombiefied again? man his pacing on his older stuff is hard

She didn't, she's living on Evil Island and the evil crew just dropped this zombie Shelly (clone?) on the mainland a few days ago. It has not been made clear how they produced a zombie Shelly yet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mycatscrimes posted:

She didn't, she's living on Evil Island and the evil crew just dropped this zombie Shelly (clone?) on the mainland a few days ago. It has not been made clear how they produced a zombie Shelly yet.

they took a sample of Shelley's blood

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Thanks for liking my drawing, thread! I might just work my prior Keef sketch into a proper one too, and then chuck them up on Redbubble or make a little postcard set for my Ko-fi shop or something.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Yeah, I think this is literally the happy ending for this story arc.

This is such a hosed-up, nightmarish "happy ending", and the last line is just rubbing salt into the wound. "Who says you can't choose your family?" Well, apparently you can choose yours, Keith: you can just con your way into stealing one that suits you. But you're not allowing these women to choose theirs — particularly Sonia, whom you only met in the first place because she wanted to meet her biological father.

"Kitty kept some things from me..." Oh she did huh.

Motherfucker.

And the way he just gets out of his blood-soaked vroom-vroom and stands there, while Kitty and Sonia — having been waiting expectantly all day, unable to focus on their cooking and homemaking — rush out of the house to fling themselves into his strong manly arms, as if he's just got back from serving consecutive tours in Afghanistan... If it were any other comic, or movie or book, this would be an obvious fantasy sequence: the audience would realise that Keith crashed his car (the red colour is a subconscious hint, not just a mistake) and is now dying or in a coma, a moment before the scene changes to a hospital room showing exactly that.

Particularly the way Sonia is apparently an eight-year-old who needs her daddy, now, rather than a grown adult.

But this is Mary Worth and so this is actually it. This is what's really happening, and it's good! Keith is a good guy and good things are happening to him and this makes us feel happy.

Jesus christ, it's so thoroughly loving sick. Folks, there's some sick poo poo in the funny pages nowadays.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The_Other posted:

You're gonna have to explain this to me, I'm not getting the joke?:confused:
There's no double meaning or anything, I just keep reading it with the obviously wrong pronunciation. I don't even know why. But it amuses me. Sed-geggled.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sejeagle'd

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 26, 2024

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i have to admit im a stupid piece of poo poo and skipped over vera valiant for weeks so i thought you all were talking about some prince valiant author i didnt know about

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it's a really weird one, though. it keeps swerving between parody soap opera and just actual soap opera

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_Other posted:

Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

I honestly like that his Red Sonja character is based on the Howard the Duck version.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 25, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

it's so funny that new foob is mostly greyscale

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Interac appears to be a Canadian payment card interoperation thing. In the 90s, for an independent gas station to start supporting it was probably a big deal.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Powered Descent posted:

Interac appears to be a Canadian payment card interoperation thing. In the 90s, for an independent gas station to start supporting it was probably a big deal.

lol every time my wife and i would watch canadian top chef we made fun of the constant Interac sponsorship when they do the shopping segments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDr6gGZUNfc&t=1154s

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vpAZ1_lepw

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Hwurmp posted:

they took a sample of Shelley's blood

I forgot that! Ty

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

So what does frying rice mean in a romance context?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The joke is that the cook is a "chicken" because he's too afraid to make the romantic move.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ah, yes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

I feel like I've been holding my breath for this entire storyline. :ohdear:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Mary Worth Presents: Big Keef Dribin'

Another work sketch of the thread's favourite leg of ham/sociopath, but I worked it up into a 'real' drawing this time.

(Slightly larger version)

This rules, pity about the actual ending to this story

Green Intern posted:

The portrayal of Rabbits as complete cultural/historical annihilators is a choice alright.

I'm enjoying seeing it right alongside the storyline about how most gophers really are just thieves, but this one guy is okay because he's one of the good ones

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 10, 1961)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Friendli

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/25/04

Brenda Recap 9/5-7/52

Smokey Stover 1/3/60

Smokey rolls into the Swinging 60s! And promptly gets spoilered for a Native American stereotype.

Everyday Movies 4/13/37

"I wouldn't mind gettin' a job, Duke, if I could be sure of being a sit-down striker, but I'd hate to have to picket."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/15-17/43

Closer Than We Think! 1/3/60

Flamethrower trucks to clear snow? Why not?

Note that the "Esso Research and Engineering Company" is a branch of the company that would later become Exxon. Esso in turn was one of the companies split off from John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil monopoly. (Standard Oil -- SO -- Esso.) So it's not surprising an oil company would propose oil-heated water troughs and flamethrowers that drag multiple fuel tanks behind them.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 26, 2024

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 1/3/60

Flamethrower trucks to clear snow? Why not?

They did that on Top Gear.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

So what does frying rice mean in a romance context?

the chicken is trapped in the friedzone

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Another work sketch of the thread's favourite leg of ham/sociopath, but I worked it up into a 'real' drawing this time.

(Slightly larger version)

Also I just peeked at today's Sunday strip and ohhhhhhh boy.

Thanks for drawing this. It's the only bright spot in this turd of a story.

That said, a heart gently caress you to Moy for not only writing a story about a shithead cop tricking his way into being part of these poor women's lives, but also for subjecting us to this poo poo for half a year.

Hostile V posted:

You Are Really Doing A poo poo Job At Making Me Like The Independent Rabbit Free State

It's been ages since Holbrook decided to fill in details about how Hellworld works, right? IIRC, the past few years of K&K have just been about the children and the stupid camp, everyone in Lindesfarne and Rudy's group making babies/adopting and the occasional reminder that Kevin and Kell still gently caress, yeah? It's just fascinating in a trainwreck sort of way watching Holbrook's handiwork in action.

In theory, the rabbits living underground to protect themselves from being eaten by various predator companies is a sensible move. But every single detail Holbrook has added about them paints them as this rancid nation of assholes. Some people had misgivings about how Mutants in the Krakoa Era became an ethnostate due to questionable decisions like putting Mr. Sinister in their council, but they've never actively destroyed priceless fossils or drank from the remains of their enemies.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 5, 1936)

Peanuts (February 28, 1977)

OH gently caress YOU

Rip Haywire: Ka-FUGITIVE!

Li'l Abner, in which aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here we go. (December 9-11, 1935)

Thimble Theater (September 30, 1940)

Out Our Way (February 3-5, 1944)

Searching for "garage war producer" butts up against the limitations of Google. That's where a library card comes in handy.

The Sunday Oregonian (Portland, February 7, 1943) posted:

Portland's Little Men are hard at work. Next door, down the block, or around the corner, you'll find them toiling in their basements and garages, utilizing home hobby workshops to further the war effort.

Herb Field's garage looks like many another in Portland--on the outside. Inside it is a most unusual workshop. Starting several years ago with a hobby lathe for woodturning, Field's garage now houses a dozen large, fine, high-precision tooling machines. Half of them he designed and built himself. The other half have been rebuilt by him for special-purpose work.[...]

His first metal work for our armed forces was done in 1940. Learning that the navy was in need of emergency hand lights, Field set to work and produced more than 1000.

He heard that a new type of gear pump for steam generator engines was being sought. He considered the problem. The automobile industry had spent many years and much money experimenting with the gear pump. Field, with wisdom, turned to it for information. Using seven different kinds of automobile gear pumps in his studies, he evolved one for steam generator engines that is now in common use on ships.

In order to produce these pumps, Field had to invent and build his own gigs, and each pump was individually machined for perfection.

(full-page article from the Portland Oregonian)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Gnoman posted:

The joke is that the cook is a "chicken" because he's too afraid to make the romantic move.

Yea I think actually making the chef an actual chicken didn't help because it took me a couple reads to get the joke too haha

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So at some point in Hellworld, there were dinosaurs, and then instead of humans popping up eons later, evolution stopped with.....poo poo, have we seen primates in Hellworld?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Cowslips Warren posted:

So at some point in Hellworld, there were dinosaurs, and then instead of humans popping up eons later, evolution stopped with.....poo poo, have we seen primates in Hellworld?
I'm pretty sure one of the things the Bird Illuminati did was use time travel to stop that strain of mammals from evolving so humans couldn't exist and undo their plans.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Bird Illuminati

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

Checking the site, there's seven strips that featured monkeys but there hasn't been a character that's been part of the main cast and their extended hangers-on. No apes like gorillas or orangutans, though. So I guess the Birdlluminati managed to prevent them from existing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

How did Batiuk manage to draw that comic with one hand? Truly astonishing.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Douglas Got That Kazuma Kiryu Fit

Honestly I've Been Seeing Really Good Results With A Safety Razor On My Face, A Lot More Of A Smooth Shave Than My Old Standard Five-Blade Razor

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why do the hellworld cops give a poo poo? Kevin is a prey animal who thwarted a predator that wasn't a personal acquaintance, by their own fuckin' rules no one cares unless it's trying to hunt someone you know. Be consistent, Holbrook, for gently caress sake!

and yeah that is a Kiryu suit Douglas has on, huh.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(2/16/1994)

(2/17/1994)

Ziggy

(9/17/1971)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, April 17-20, 1984

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

It's beautiful. (Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to be free of this chud just yet.)

EasyEW posted:

OH gently caress YOU

Nobody has written an article thanking TomBat for his service lately, so he'll have to do it himself.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail