Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Flinger posted:

In Oblivion, you can cast water walk on your horse. I like to imagine there would be a whole logistics network of rivers and lakes being used as highways for horses buffed with water walking and fortify speed.

Kills the immersion that there isn't honestly. You can't tell me imperials wouldn't be all about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the best of the default classes?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What's the best of the default classes?

What does best mean, easier for noobs? Probably anything like warrior with a major skill matching your racial bonus. For metagaming probably spellblade or witchhunter

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

sppppeeeeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

At the early point of level 3-4ish where I'm coming to the conclusion that the custom class I put together sucks. Whatever, there's enough ways to cheese it in this game to make build irrelevant anyway.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PolarPear posted:

It's integrated in the base game so mages guild teleports, some boats at ports in the south/east, or just casting water walking and going across the inner sea are probably the easiest ways to get to the mainland.

Casting Intervention spells in the right places can get you there too.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
yeah it can catch you out if you're used to playing vanilla a lot and intervention out of sheogorad now puts you in firewatch (really cool town would recommend visit their college)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

yeah it can catch you out if you're used to playing vanilla a lot and intervention out of sheogorad now puts you in firewatch (really cool town would recommend visit their college)
I was trying to go somewhere with an Intervention once and ended up in Old Ebonwatch instead :V

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i ended up in one of the new telvanni towns and had to scrimp and steal enough to travel back through port telvannis, getting extremely distracted ar each location, it was great

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Drone posted:

Simplest is to take a boat to Old Ebonheart from either Vivec or from Fort Ebonheart (confusing, I know... Fort is the castle from vanilla, Old is the big new city on the mainland).

Thanks! I went via the fort! Trying to figure out the mage’s guild quests there now.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It's worth mentioning I think this image is still correct:

https://images.uesp.net/thumb/8/8a/TR3-map-Zone_Difficulty.jpg/515px-TR3-map-Zone_Difficulty.jpg

So the areas around the river, including Old ebonheart, is a good place to start. Just like in OG Morrowind If you travel by silt strider or other means to other towns they'll be mostly safe too but you need be careful when going into the wilderness.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

It's worth mentioning I think this image is still correct:

https://images.uesp.net/thumb/8/8a/TR3-map-Zone_Difficulty.jpg/515px-TR3-map-Zone_Difficulty.jpg

So the areas around the river, including Old ebonheart, is a good place to start. Just like in OG Morrowind If you travel by silt strider or other means to other towns they'll be mostly safe too but you need be careful when going into the wilderness.

It's not :v:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Thinking on it vanilla Morrowind did a really good job at telling you if a place was too dangerous for you to be in using visuals. Which is way more immersive than floating numbers or a skull emblem. You see widdle ole’ Kwama, Rats and Mudcrabs you know your safe, then you get to Nix Hounds and Cliff Racers and they look more predatory so you know there’s more danger, then you start getting big dinosaurs covered in spikes like Kagoutie and you know it’s getting more serious, then finally you’ve got hardcore looking demon warriors and Cthulhu’s and you know shits gotten serious. Of course this only applies to the monsters and there’s no way to tell if this bandit wizard in some random cave is going to one-shot you. And of course the expansions and their mega goblins.
It’s completely different than Oblivion and Skyrim where auto leveling makes all enemies “early game” and all enemies “late game”.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Blighted Nix Hounds hit like a loving truck, too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What is everyone’s favorite mod to « manage » cliff racers?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I remember learning to fear the rats that could barely move.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jay Rust posted:

Cliff racers are an important part of the ecosystem!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jay Rust posted:

Just one that makes non-blighted ones non-hostile but I feel bad about it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jay Rust posted:

my current pick is triangletooth's ecology. before that, a long series of mods that only make non-diseased non-blighted animals less aggressive, but i like the extra features in this one.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 26, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

my current pick is triangletooth's ecology. before that, a long series of mods that only make non-diseased non-blighted animals less aggressive, but i like the extra features in this one.

quote:

A lot of critters like bugs and small rats plague Ald Ruhn and other cities. Every time I exit a building, all the guards go to war. It's hilarious, but definitely breaks the immersion.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
One of my favorite skills in this game is marksman, especially since you level it up just walking through the wilderness blapping anything that moves

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

*door closing sound*

you're beaten!

*schwing*
*rat squeak*

you're beaten!

*thwack*

die fetcher

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't know why it is enemies so often start yelling a taunt as they receive their deathblow

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

But I'm glad of it, kinda adds to the janky charm

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jay Rust posted:

This one: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48292

Requires MWSE, but it's fully configurable.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
My dad died in November leaving me as the sole member of the family and it's been tough going these past few months. I decided to dig up my OpenMW Tamriel Rebuilt install from 2022 and it's been instrumental in keeping me from going insane. Morrowind has an almost unrivalled sense of immersion and with the addition of huge swathes of the mainland it's like I'm back in 2002 experiencing it all over again.

Once Grasping Fortunes releases I might reinstall Tamriel Rebuilt with MWSE instead of openMW so I can really get crazy with it.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

galagazombie posted:

Thinking on it vanilla Morrowind did a really good job at telling you if a place was too dangerous for you to be in using visuals. Which is way more immersive than floating numbers or a skull emblem. You see widdle ole’ Kwama, Rats and Mudcrabs you know your safe, then you get to Nix Hounds and Cliff Racers and they look more predatory so you know there’s more danger, then you start getting big dinosaurs covered in spikes like Kagoutie and you know it’s getting more serious, then finally you’ve got hardcore looking demon warriors and Cthulhu’s and you know shits gotten serious. Of course this only applies to the monsters and there’s no way to tell if this bandit wizard in some random cave is going to one-shot you. And of course the expansions and their mega goblins.
It’s completely different than Oblivion and Skyrim where auto leveling makes all enemies “early game” and all enemies “late game”.

lol so true. I like how the NPCs are a bit of a wildcard. I remember my first time running into that crusty old imperial mage on the way to get the dwemer puzzle box and thinking he was going to be someone's lost grandpa, then he and his skeleton kicked my rear end repeatedly.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Vichan posted:

My dad died in November leaving me as the sole member of the family and it's been tough going these past few months. I decided to dig up my OpenMW Tamriel Rebuilt install from 2022 and it's been instrumental in keeping me from going insane. Morrowind has an almost unrivalled sense of immersion and with the addition of huge swathes of the mainland it's like I'm back in 2002 experiencing it all over again.

Once Grasping Fortunes releases I might reinstall Tamriel Rebuilt with MWSE instead of openMW so I can really get crazy with it.

I'm sorry for your loss. I went through something very similar myself, losing my dad in December. It was Disco Elysium for me because I only had my Steam Deck available at the time and Morrowind was too much of a pain to set up, but I think I'm going to move on to Morrowind next. I also have my dad's Oblivion saves backed up which I'm tempted to load but unfortunately Oblivion sucks rear end

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

a7m2 posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. I went through something very similar myself, losing my dad in December. It was Disco Elysium for me because I only had my Steam Deck available at the time and Morrowind was too much of a pain to set up, but I think I'm going to move on to Morrowind next. I also have my dad's Oblivion saves backed up which I'm tempted to load but unfortunately Oblivion sucks rear end

Disco Elysium is such a good choice for escapism. I might try that next. My dad was a strategy player almost all his life until last year when he suddenly became interested in Red Dead Redemption 2. He's a big western fan so I guess the game was kind of tailor made for him. While looking through his notes I found a Red Dead Online login, I still can't bring myself to log in to that one.

I'm sorry for your loss as well, I hope you're doing okay.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, I think I went all about TR the wrong way, when I recently played the Xbox version for the first time in decades I intentionally made a character similar to my first. I think I'll do that with TR as well! A real, real lovely PC. A male imperial who sort of looks like me, a knight with cobbled together heavy armor and the sign of mara because I wanted access to a healing spell lololol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vichan posted:

Disco Elysium is such a good choice for escapism.

?????

I mean it's very funny but it's also straight up harrowing in parts. Even some of the minor side quests are very sad and not because you're playing as a depressed middle aged alcoholic.

Or is that :thejoke:?

Though I suppose at least the all encompassing tragedy of Revachol is at least fictional and thus removed from your own personal tragedies. Which somewhat qualifies.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 28, 2024

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

?????

I mean it's very funny but it's also straight up harrowing in parts. Even some of the minor side quests are very sad and not because you're playing as a depressed middle aged alcoholic.

Though I suppose at least the all encompassing tragedy of Revachol is at least fictional and thus removed from your own personal tragedies. Which somewhat qualifies.

It has a solid, internally consistent story and setting which really lets me "fall" into the world. The narration helps that along, too.

Nothing so sad as what posters above have shared, but I started playing it during the beginning of a very difficult (and ongoing) time for me. Disco is engaging enough that it's easy to concentrate on it 30 min at a time, to the exclusion of anything else, without feeling forced to.

I should really get around to passing the second day, lol. Cuno is not impressed. Cuno thinks you're a moppy *static*

E: I don't thing anyone is a moppy *static*. I'm sorry that for y'all's losses. I can't even imagine.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Tamriel Rebuilt is so dang good .

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

?????

I can only speak for myself but it was a good choice for me for two reasons. Firstly, it's very immersive. It's so easy to lose yourself in the game and my personal experiences only helped me relate to the characters more and aided in the immersion. Telling the working class woman that her husband had died especially spoke to me this time around: I was definitely drawing parallels with my own experiences, but it wasn't so overwhelming because I was very immersed in the game and story at the same time.

Secondly, everyone is different in situations like these, but for me while grieving I found it didn't help to try to hide from it by only engaging in art that was happy or otherwise completely unrelated to loss. In fact I think I might have subconsciously sought out media that had some relation to what I was going through as a way to process my own feelings.

While the themes of Morrowind aren't particularly related, it is an incredibly immersive game so I think it's a very good choice too and I think I'll play that again sometime soon.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I understand why TR made the change in policy but a big part of me does miss Vvardenfell and the Mainland being separate entities. Yes, the quarantine made no real sense, but it felt like a Big Deal to go to the mainland, like passing through a veil. Suddenly you're in a place where you're not really as much of a big shot; like you have a whole new playground to play in, to start fresh in.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I think this mod has been mentioned before in the thread, but I wanted to share this video because I thought it was so cool: The Joy of Painting Morrowind

-

I thought about doing another Morrowind playthrough, but this time I thought about modding the game to the gills this time around.

Previously I used OpenMW, along with a few minor mods initially (Speed&Stamina Tweaked, Delayed Dark Brotherhood Attack, Script Improvements). Later, I installed the Balmora River House mod so I could stash all the things I collected instead of just littering them around the Balmora Fighter's Guild barracks. Then I actually made a mod that added another version of Creeper with more money outside of the Balmora guilds so I could sell stuff easier.

I'm wondering if I should stick with OpenMW, or try out Morrowind Script Extender. I don't know the full gamut of what's exclusive between the two.

In terms of what I'm looking for in terms of mods, I'm not sure. Initially, I thought about a mod that made for a better Telvanni home (because I was disappointed with the home you get in the vanilla game, and I remember there being a mod that gave you a super complex Telvanni house). However, I realized that I went with House Telvanni in my first playthrough, and so I thought maybe I'd be better selecting mods tailored for Redoran or Hlaalu. I never touched any of the quests related to the Thieves Guild or Morang Tong, so I figured I should make a stealth-oriented character.

I have to take a look at the list of mods in the OP, but since it's pretty old (2011), I'm wondering if there's anything new I should know about. I remember Muffinwind being mentioned in a one point as kind of joke third expansion pack, and it sounded interesting. Everyone's talking about Tamriel Rebuilt, but how much of it is done, and what exactly is there to do in it? Based on what I remember seeing of it, they had done a lot of the areas around Vvardenfell, but is it just caves/strongholds/dungeons/etc. , or are there major cities to explore and quests to do as well?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The main difference is all the good mods are MWSE.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Last time I used Tamriel rebuilt was during COVID lock down and there was a poo poo ton of content then. They've released multiple new versions since.

Edit, I also used a decent house expansion for Hlaalu, not as expansive as the Telvani one, but added a decent amount of stuff.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 1, 2024

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ashfall is MWSE and that's enough for me.

Honestly once I've set up MCP, the steam version has always been rock solid for me. Moving to openMW wouldn't really do much for me.

Tamriel Rebuilt has cities, quests, factions - the whole gamut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok i'm gonna try tamriel rebuilt