Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The Berzerker posted:

If you're worried about missing events due to not resting often, just remember that every time you do a long rest, do another 1-2 long rests right after without using any camp supplies. This is a partial rest and doesn't give you back spell slots etc., but you don't need them back anyway since you just did a long rest. This helps to make sure your pile of camp events gets cleared periodically. Just don't do it if you're in the middle of a timed quest obviously

Is there any quest timed other than the free the prisoner before she’s executed by Gortash one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bum the Sad posted:

Is there any quest timed other than the free the prisoner before she’s executed by Gortash one?

Yeah, there's a bunch. Like the underdark guy who gets crushed, that timed out for me since I long rested once at the wrong time.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Berzerker posted:

If you're worried about missing events due to not resting often, just remember that every time you do a long rest, do another 1-2 long rests right after without using any camp supplies. This is a partial rest and doesn't give you back spell slots etc., but you don't need them back anyway since you just did a long rest. This helps to make sure your pile of camp events gets cleared periodically. Just don't do it if you're in the middle of a timed quest obviously

So basically as long as you're not on something that has an explicit time limit (like, saving the kid at the beach at the Grove or a burning house or someone telling you something will happen soon) you can just force people to go to sleep to trigger all camp conversations without wasting resources? That sounds both useful and hilarious in the sense that you're forcing everyone to go to sleep just to deal with their drama :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Berzerker posted:

Great suggestion, thank you. I'm gonna Rip Van Winkle the poo poo out of my game when I get back to it.

The main reason I haven't been Long Resting much towards the end of the game is not from preserving camp supplies anyway, but because I made resting a bit tedious for myself with hireling buffs and to keep the effects of certain elixirs I can never keep stock of. And frankly, to see just how long I can stretch things out. Turns out that's a bad idea but it's been a fun challenge of sorts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah. Underdark spoiler: I let Nere die by fast-traveling around the map trying to find an explosive or maul for Karlach to use. Didn't find either. (Naturally I'm told there's two smokepowder bombs at the druegar camp but it's a big game.)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bum the Sad posted:

Gort posted:

Yeah, there's a bunch. Like the underdark guy who gets crushed, that timed out for me since I long rested once at the wrong time.

Yeah, I don't have a comprehensive list but off the top of my head there's (Act 1) the fire at Waukeen's rest, Mirkon on the beach if you've seen him(?) but otherwise I think you can save that until later as long as you don't go near the beach, Nere in the Underdark, (Act 2) saving Rolan when he runs off from Last Light, (Act 3) saving Florrick, and the newspaper quest if you don't want your name smeared and probably a bunch of other ones

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

So basically as long as you're not on something that has an explicit time limit (like, saving the kid at the beach at the Grove or a burning house or someone telling you something will happen soon) you can just force people to go to sleep to trigger all camp conversations without wasting resources?

Yep! I usually do a long rest, partial rest, another partial rest if the first partial rest triggered a scene, and then I recast all my buffs and start my next 'day' in game. You can also just keep partial resting until you get a sleep without any event scenes, then you know your queue is clear.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I dunno if it was a long rest or the order I did my quests in Act 3 I wanted to get all the side quests done before I went to Gortash's coronation, and I just noticed that quest is no longer in my quest log and all the quests about rescuing Grand Duke Ravengard added a note that he was dead...I know I didn't kill him, so I'm guessing something happened.

Did I miss anything really cool?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Medullah posted:

yes

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EejRGLy1d4Y

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ok I gotta start playing with mods https://twitter.com/euqseiled/status/1761848950053654575?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Well I guess my question is "Is it a big enough deal I should load up a save from a few hours ago to do it again" or just "Better luck next time"

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Come to the dark mod side. We have cookies and mods for cookies.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Medullah posted:

Well I guess my question is "Is it a big enough deal I should load up a save from a few hours ago to do it again" or just "Better luck next time"

I haven't played through enough to know the differences, but there's certainly stuff with Wyll that you're missing out on if Ravengard is dead.

Attending the ceremony isn't something big you need to prepare for (unless you decide to get shirty of course), so you can go in without a full arsenal of spells, elixirs etc

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I learned on my last playthrough that Karlach won't mess up the coronation unless you directly agree to attack Gortash yourself, she'll just get carried off to prison in an honestly pretty comical scene.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Medullah posted:

it's a cool setpiece, but you actually benefit from being smarter and better at the game if you do it on your second playthrough, it can be the most frustrating thing in this game

edit actually I think you can do it anyway, you just miss one ending choice for Wyll, it's not that big of a deal

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

smarter and better at the game

Awful lot of assumptions going on here

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

grack posted:

Do you have both a mold and ore inserted?

Late reply because timezones but mold was inserted and the middle forge area that accepted ore was totally unclickable

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tried playing paladin co-op with my partner who is not very well-versed in RPG:s. Had the idea that since I've already played through this game once I'd let her make all the decisions. Barely made it off the nautiloid before I'd inadvertently broken my oath due to her attacking the thieflings :lol:. 10/10, great experience.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

MiddleOne posted:

Tried playing paladin co-op with my partner who is not very well-versed in RPG:s. Had the idea that since I've already played through this game once I'd let her make all the decisions. Barely made it off the nautiloid before I'd inadvertently broken my oath due to her attacking the thieflings :lol:. 10/10, great experience.

The only true, correct, good way to play paladin, as I did for my durge run :hmmyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Scratch bringing me the ball and telling me he wouldn't mind if I threw it from time to time. :allears:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

I learned on my last playthrough that Karlach won't mess up the coronation unless you directly agree to attack Gortash yourself, she'll just get carried off to prison in an honestly pretty comical scene.

Yeah that happened on my honor mode playthrough because I failed the check to calm her down. It was pretty easy to bust her out though, because my ranger MC was sent to prison by dingus at the refugee warehouse who didn't believe that I was trying to track down the toy bomber. I got caught sneaking out so I just killed everyone in there (honestly not too difficult for one character, it helped that I was a beast master so I had lupus and I summoned Us for good measure). so when I needed to "rescue" Karlach, I just walked in, got her, and walked out lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Scratch bringing me the ball and telling me he wouldn't mind if I threw it from time to time. :allears:

Just be careful if you have him out as a familiar like, say, if you throw a plate out to cover a gas vent...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MiddleOne posted:

I've been following Devora Wilde's playthrough of BG3, and it's honestly the most entertaining out of anyone's because she is so new to video games. She slaughtered half the Grove before she even found Minthara because she was like, "that person I just talked to was slightly rude to me, let's kill them."

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

MiddleOne posted:

That shouldn't break your oath unless you swung first. Well I guess depends on what Oath you have. Vengeance seems to get away with everything.

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah that happened on my honor mode playthrough because I failed the check to calm her down. It was pretty easy to bust her out though, because my ranger MC was sent to prison by dingus at the refugee warehouse who didn't believe that I was trying to track down the toy bomber. I got caught sneaking out so I just killed everyone in there (honestly not too difficult for one character, it helped that I was a beast master so I had lupus and I summoned Us for good measure). so when I needed to "rescue" Karlach, I just walked in, got her, and walked out lol

You've obviously escaped the jail but that skeleton in the cell was pretty helpful even if you wanted to clear the place out for later.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

exquisite tea posted:

I've been following Devora Wilde's playthrough of BG3, and it's honestly the most entertaining out of anyone's because she is so new to video games. She slaughtered half the Grove before she even found Minthara because she was like, "that person I just talked to was slightly rude to me, let's kill them."

I'd like to imagine her direction and the lines she memorized in isolation accidentally inducted her into a Githyanki mindset

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Black Noise posted:

That shouldn't break your oath unless you swung first. Well I guess depends on what Oath you have. Vengeance seems to get away with everything.

It was instant upon having the killing blow. Oath of vengeance.

It was the thieflings who capture Lae'zel at the beginning. She asks you to attack them so it's right there in the dialogue. :v:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, I don't have a comprehensive list but off the top of my head there's (Act 1) the fire at Waukeen's rest, Mirkon on the beach if you've seen him(?) but otherwise I think you can save that until later as long as you don't go near the beach, Nere in the Underdark, (Act 2) saving Rolan when he runs off from Last Light, (Act 3) saving Florrick, and the newspaper quest if you don't want your name smeared and probably a bunch of other ones

Yep! I usually do a long rest, partial rest, another partial rest if the first partial rest triggered a scene, and then I recast all my buffs and start my next 'day' in game. You can also just keep partial resting until you get a sleep without any event scenes, then you know your queue is clear.

My brain wasn’t classifying those must be done this single rest things as timed I guess. Even though they count. I was thinking of quests that have more than one but definitely have a max number of rests. Florrick gets executed if you don’t save her in 5 long rests

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Medullah posted:

I dunno if it was a long rest or the order I did my quests in Act 3 I wanted to get all the side quests done before I went to Gortash's coronation, and I just noticed that quest is no longer in my quest log and all the quests about rescuing Grand Duke Ravengard added a note that he was dead...I know I didn't kill him, so I'm guessing something happened.

was he not imprisoned in the iron throne when you went there?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

was he not imprisoned in the iron throne when you went there?

I didn't get there. None in that area, wanted to knock out all the other quests in the area and Rivington first.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Medullah posted:

I didn't get there. None in that area, wanted to knock out all the other quests in the area and Rivington first.

He may be still alive hanging out in there.

Edit: gently caress just realized he’s never watched the coronation

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 26, 2024

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Wait did you watch the coronation at all?

Edit: huh you didn’t. Just save your game and walk up the stairs. See if he’s there. Like if I remember he’s the one who does them coronation, kind of vital.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
lol gently caress triple pot

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At some point I think the Duke in my game died. At least that's what I've been telling other characters. But if they ever ask how I know I guess I'd say the game told me? We're living in a simulation and I'm basically Neo and the Architect told me directly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

He may be still alive hanging out in there.

Edit: gently caress just realized he’s never watched the coronation

Bum the Sad posted:

Wait did you watch the coronation at all?

Edit: huh you didn’t. Just save your game and walk up the stairs. See if he’s there. Like if I remember he’s the one who does them coronation, kind of vital.

Nope, haven't even gone in that area other than getting approval. I only know he's dead because all my journal entries updated to reflect as much.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Looks like Larian had to clap back at some toxic fans. Sad to hear that.

https://kotaku.com/baldurs-gate-3-bg3-mod-support-harassment-toxicity-1851286783

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
did the last hotfix/patch break something with coop or mods? been playing with my partner on the weekends and this weekend while on the same network I could not join the game. never had that problem before.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Relentlessboredomm posted:

did the last hotfix/patch break something with coop or mods? been playing with my partner on the weekends and this weekend while on the same network I could not join the game. never had that problem before.

Quite possibly. Your best bet would be the mod-support channel in the discord but its at 5min slow mode due to discord drama. I had to do a full modsettings reset to try and figure out what the culprit mod was and then suddenly everything just worked...

Also this is usually how you know someone uploaded a race swap on Nexus

For the record that gold number does not mean I endorsed it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I have now completed the game at least once with every class.

I have not really used any of the super optimized builds to do it.

I think my sweet spot on difficulty is to do custom, turn everything up to Tactician, and turn camp supplies and prices all the way down. I need to commit to an Honor Mode run, but when I'm just having fun I don't have patience for managing camp supplies or money.

I loved things about every class, but Barbarian and Bard are probably my least favorite. Barbarian because of rage being so limited and refreshing on a long rest and the underwhelming Wild Magic being the choice I made for my very first completed run. I just don't think that's a well-balanced resource and see it 100% as a problem with D&D and not BG3. Bard because they're too jack of all trades for my taste. I just don't click with them at all.

Wyll is the romance I doubt I'll do again because he's just such a good boy and it's ... pretty boring. Look, if you want the knight in shining armor he's definitely your guy. He is probably more interesting as an Origin character choice than a team member. He's a perfect protagonist. Kinda too perfect.

Dark Urge romancing Astarion may be my favorite combo so far. Githyanki on Githyanki is also great. You can't go wrong with Karlach. Or really, anyone else.

Even though I'm not personally fond of bards, I think my silliest run was Tav Warlock, Karlach Monk, Lae'zel Fighter, Astarion Bard. We had 3 short rests a long rest and Astarion rarely ran out of spells because everything just died so fast with the other three characters being at full power for most fights.

I don't know how I'm not sick of this game yet, but I'm not. This is my favorite game of all time.

Some of my favorite random line readings with minimal/no spoilers.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 26, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The fact that the Owlbear Cub and Scratch become friends and play together in camp was well worth the full price I paid for this game. And there's an achievement for petting them both at the same time that only 20% of you monsters have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Medullah posted:

The fact that the Owlbear Cub and Scratch become friends and play together in camp was well worth the full price I paid for this game. And there's an achievement for petting them both at the same time that only 20% of you monsters have

it was bugged for several patches to not work if you had speak with animals active