Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the greatest love story in video games?
This poll is closed.
Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 14 7.37%
Wakka & Lulu (Final Fantasy X) 8 4.21%
Wakka & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 1 0.53%
Lulu & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 13 6.84%
Rikku & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 3 1.58%
Kimahri & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 2 1.05%
Tidus & Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Yuna & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Wakka & Wakka (Final Fantasy X) 70 36.84%
Auron & Kimahri (Final Fantasy X) 23 12.11%
Kimahri & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 15 7.89%
Yuna & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 9 4.74%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the new Prince of Persia rules

e: seconding Immortals, sadly the planned sequel was scrapped because lol - still worth checking out if you like (silly) Greek myth and aren't burnt on that style of game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

cheetah7071 posted:

haven't even heard of that one but sure why not

Few people in the west have heard of it since it was originally developed for the X68000 which was only sold in Japan. The PS1 port/remake happened like ten years later and nobody cared at that point. It's very mid as a Castlevania game, but the soundtrack alone makes it worthwhile to try out. There are some properly bonkers versions of some of the classic tunes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_BJE_Vh0UY

Videogames Are Pretty loving Stupid Honestly

Might be funnier/more painful for recovering Destiny players, but it's a lot of just... how obnoxious are games for new players

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

victrix posted:

Might be funnier/more painful for recovering Destiny players, but it's a lot of just... how obnoxious are games for new players
I've been playing video games for *checks watch* 34 years and maybe it's because I've studied them for that long (I was the kid that made Mario Land maps on graph paper) but even I see this dumb poo poo and get irked into the depths of Hell. I tried explaining in the PoE thread why the game should have a quality of life feature and in return was given "you should ask someone" and "you can look this up." Now, I don't think PoE is a great place for a newcomer to play video games but that game is free so it would absolutely be someone's first, and in some cases last, try at playing a video game. I truly think we're at a point where we, as an industry, need to have some words about institutional video game player knowledge and where to properly set expectations for new players. Breath of the Wild was hailed as having genius development for not telling the player what to do after the previous title spent hours keeping you in a tutorial. Meanwhile Read Dead Redemption 2 has tutorials through the entire game as it introduced what were essentially ephemeral features that I believe were supposed to all someday matter in an online version that never reached its potential. In one case I felt respected as a game player but knew I would be dying over and over (my gf when she tried to play BotW for 10 minutes) if I was new to video games. In the other case, I felt disrespected because I wanted to stop doing tutorials when I was 50 hours into the game. We gotta give people toggles for this stuff.

Video games are pretty loving stupid. But so are dweebs calling their wives "normies."

Edit: I kept watching, this video is good.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 26, 2024

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

f#a# posted:

Random question, has Ubisoft made anything worth playing in the last five years? I played AC Odyssey and got burned out.

Prince of Persia kicks rear end

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ubisoft kinda technically makes Trackmania which is good

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh boy FF7R2 comes out in three days. That's fine, I just need to beat LAD8, Pacific Drive, and Granblue Relink in that time, and also play a bunch of Helldivers with friends, and also work eight hours a day plus getting maybe some sleep in that time. Should be easy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Boobysoft

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Oh boy FF7R2 comes out in three days. That's fine, I just need to beat LAD8, Pacific Drive, and Granblue Relink in that time, and also play a bunch of Helldivers with friends, and also work eight hours a day plus getting maybe some sleep in that time. Should be easy.

No problem here, I'm skipping FF7R until part 3 comes out :smug: And maybe skipping GBR until a big sale, the story sounds so bad I'd only be touching it for the gameplay. Played a shitload of Helldivers with friends, putting that down until new content.

... just gotta wait another 5 years for FF7R3 :negative:

Playing the poo poo out of Pacific Drive though, this game is so loving good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here’s a take I’ve been working on : Balatro is 2024’s VampireSurvivors except well-designed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Here’s a take I’ve been working on : Balatro is 2024’s VampireSurvivors except well-designed

It's a dreckbuilder

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

So what's the rationale behind the mechanic where jumping off something and aiming makes time slow down. isn't jumping around and falling legendarily bad for your aim in the real world? or is that why we invented paratroopers?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Muscle Tracer posted:

So what's the rationale behind the mechanic where jumping off something and aiming makes time slow down. isn't jumping around and falling legendarily bad for your aim in the real world? or is that why we invented paratroopers?

sunspots

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

victrix posted:

that is incredibly funny, and it's sad he can't repeat it with other notorious games

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morpheus posted:

Just play Helldivers and maybe Pacific Drive, easy

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Can't wait to play the rpg of the year later this week. I am of course talking about Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Muscle Tracer posted:

It’s cool, who cares about real

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

Pretty sure it's because movies did it and because it's cool, op.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know what else is cool? the physics of the universe

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Srice posted:

Can't wait to play the rpg of the year later this week. I am of course talking about Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island.

Lots of people have been saying this

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Looks like we’re going to have to jump!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

You know what else is cool? the physics of the universe

Nah, that's what's been keeping me down, op.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-26/british-game-maker-supermassive-set-to-lay-off-90-workers?embedded-checkout=true

https://twitter.com/SuperMGames/status/1762125258159431750

Supermassive is laying off 90 folks

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

What the gently caress, they've got a guaranteed banger on their hands in Hades 2.

I'm a dummy, that's superGIANT.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

*jay leno voice* you see the news folks? you see this? supermassive laid off 90 people today. yeah. theyre changing their name to just regular massive

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ymgve posted:

It’s cool, who cares about real

right but like, where'd the idea come from. there's all kinds of cool ideas out there

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It came from The Matrix/John Woo movies/Max Payne

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It came from me, I made it up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

It came from me, I made it up

John Woo is a goon?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
this sucks. Haven't played Saltsea Chronicles yet, but really enjoyed Mutazione. I recall that Saltsea was originally supposed to be published by Private Division; no idea why they dropped it, but I'm sure that didn't help matters (EDIT: looks like I was at least partially wrong about that last part, PD still funded the game but didn't publish it)

https://twitter.com/gutefabrik/status/1762115984742076684

And those layoffs at Supermassive, even though they have multiple big projects in development (the Dead by Daylight spinoff and Little Nightmares III). Maybe a third unannounced project was canceled? Regardless, what a bleak fuckin' year for the industry, and it's not even March yet

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 26, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What percent of the studio is that? I thought Supermassive was one of the smaller ones despite the name

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

haveblue posted:

What percent of the studio is that? I thought Supermassive was one of the smaller ones despite the name

Supermassive was 350 people (which was news to me) so it's like 25% of the studio, you might be thinking of Supergiant who made Hades and such.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

A lot of this is just because the standards for UI/UX have gone to poo poo in the industry at large. The amount of modern AAA games with indecipherable menu systems and baffling amounts of different currencies has gotten absurd, and nobody cares that it's hard to tell how much your Activision FunBux are worth or how to actually spend them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They do care, they care a lot. That's the whole point of obfuscation using the funbux. The scam doesn't really work if they're honest. Getting paid half a cent after an annoying match playing with not what you wanted, that you're only allowed to spend at the company gift shop, is more a bummer than 250 FREE gems.

And people are more likely to hesitate to waste X bucks on some pointless nothing they don't even legally own or control, while they will dump 5,000 gembux because it's just gembux after all.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

nthing the recommendation for Prince of Persia Lost Crown

cheetah7071 posted:

I do recommend at least giving it a shot without savestates. If you already have and didn't like it, then sure, but if you just sort of assumed you'd need them without trying, I encourage you to try without! The game is all about trying to solve the levels room by room; you get a nice ebb where with each attempt, you push the part of the level you can do cleanly and smoothly further and further, and room by room go from dying, to limping through, to getting through easily and cleanly, until you manage to limp through the boss and you do it all over again in the next stage. I feel like a lot of what makes the game special would be lost if you could 'lock in' a single lucky success in rooms you haven't fully internalized yet.

Nah yeah, I am going to play it. Just frustrating as I was about midway through when I reset my savestate!

Castlevania 3 is cool and good.

Castlevania 2 was... fine. It did something unique, but I had to play it with a guide just to speed through it.

Jay Rust posted:

Balatro should be in the Top 10 for SA's GOTY easily.

It's stupidly addictive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Castlevania 2 without a guide is less fun than getting teeth pulled

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

another castlevania finished, another hot take for the pile

Honestly agree with this whole list.

StoryTime posted:

I don't think there's anything weird about liking Portrait of Ruin, it's a very good game.

Edit: I've now spent some time thinking about this and I think PoR is the second best Castlevania game.

Top 3 list:

1. Rondo
2. Portrait of Ruin
3. Castlevania 3

Yeah, SotN doesn't even make the list. While it was obviously influential and infused the whole series with new life for like decades, and the graphics and the music are incredible, it's just not that good of a game.

PoR definitely has the best soundtrack

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Balatro is like the Blurnsball scene from Futurama but poker

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Prince of Persia is extremely good and also huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Electric Phantasm posted:

PoR definitely has the best soundtrack

I like the PoR version of Iron Blue Intention, that's originally from Bloodlines though. I think the best version is in Castlevania Judgment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WPVk7SARmY

Invitation Of A Crazed Moon is real good original from PoR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0HVTx0gVho

My favorite Castlevania track of all time is Praying Hands, it's really incredible what they made happen with whatever is inside a Game Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6mftPOyQX0