Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Al! posted:

the implications ive been seeing is that a year ago it was kind of a mess and the way they solved that problem was by dumbing everything down and pulling out all the systems todd didn't think was "fun" until you had a perfectly spherical bethesda game studios flavored product

Good point, they probably got told by MS to "give it a little more polish", and broke out the sandblaster in response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was certain Starfield was going to be disappointing. A completely new setting without any previously built up work they've leaned on for decades? Yeah... But I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was.

And of course after fallout 76 it's almost bizarre how anyone could be foolish enough to expect anything amazing. Bethesda has been caught time and time again to blatantly lie directly in people's faces and yet they still happily bend over and scream "let me preorder!" :psyduck:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've been enjoying the game on XBox, though it crashes with alarming frequency. But today, I completed the UC Vanguard mission Hostile Intelligence and it didn't start the next mission.

Am I hosed?

Looking online, going to a previous save doesn't help, and my previous save before this is two levels ago when I started the previous mission, which I'd rather not do... but it sounds like this has happened to many people.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm interested to see how far the post-launch support lasts. More than one DLC?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd argue Starfield, because if you were paying attention the writing was on the wall for Antham. Yeah, a lot of people were disappointed, but it was pretty clear that this wasn't the typical Bioware game and the whole live service thing was obviously becoming a train wreck for the industry at that point. If you paid any attention to games at all you took, at a bare minimum, a cautious wait and see approach to that one and a lot of people never bothered based on early reviews.

Starfield, meanwhile, takes a bit longer for the really awful flaws to become apparent and none of them were blindingly obvious before launch. This is really visible in the review cycle, with a lot of people giving it cautious good reviews that started tanking as soon as people got more than a dozen hours into it. I think a lot more people were blindsided by just how empty and devoid of purpose the latter stages of the game are when compared to something like Skyrim, and this is including player-directed purpose like making a fancy house or collecting every wheel of cheese in the world.

Starfield actually managed to get me hyped while I was playing starfield by making it look like there was a lot more potential than it would actually deliver on early in the game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

I've been enjoying the game on XBox, though it crashes with alarming frequency. But today, I completed the UC Vanguard mission Hostile Intelligence and it didn't start the next mission.

Am I hosed?

Looking online, going to a previous save doesn't help, and my previous save before this is two levels ago when I started the previous mission, which I'd rather not do... but it sounds like this has happened to many people.

Can't help sorry as I played on PC.

Well I say played. Endured.

Sandepande posted:

I'm interested to see how far the post-launch support lasts. More than one DLC?

I'm expecting hmm... 3 new ground guns, a new ship vendor + parts, a new solar system, 6 hours of quests written to the same level as whats already there and ... a cash shop for in-app purchases.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

DancingShade posted:

I'm expecting hmm... 3 new ground guns, a new ship vendor + parts, a new solar system, 6 hours of quests written to the same level as whats already there and ... a cash shop for in-app purchases.

They were expecting to launch paid mods but nobody made any lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

webmeister posted:

They were expecting to launch paid mods but nobody made any lol

I mean can you say nobody made any when they haven't released the real mod tools yet

The only real mod support has been "a check to disable achievements if mods are detected", everything past that is just modders being able to figure it out because it's that similar to everything else before it

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd argue Starfield, because if you were paying attention the writing was on the wall for Antham. Yeah, a lot of people were disappointed, but it was pretty clear that this wasn't the typical Bioware game and the whole live service thing was obviously becoming a train wreck for the industry at that point. If you paid any attention to games at all you took, at a bare minimum, a cautious wait and see approach to that one and a lot of people never bothered based on early reviews.

Starfield, meanwhile, takes a bit longer for the really awful flaws to become apparent and none of them were blindingly obvious before launch. This is really visible in the review cycle, with a lot of people giving it cautious good reviews that started tanking as soon as people got more than a dozen hours into it. I think a lot more people were blindsided by just how empty and devoid of purpose the latter stages of the game are when compared to something like Skyrim, and this is including player-directed purpose like making a fancy house or collecting every wheel of cheese in the world.

Honestly Anthem wasn't too bad, all in all. It was fun enough for 10-20 hours if you got it at a steep discount, it just didn't have much going past that.

I suppose the same could be said for Starfield except you can't get it for $6. If you could then it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I get why NG+ exists, but I think they didn't succede on what they were trying to do - Bethesda saw that people make new saves and play again, plus the popularity of quick start mods and *thought* that this would be the best way to intergrate that into the game itself.

Anyway, what would be a good price point for the game? I did have fun for the ~10 hours I played on gamepass before my irritation with playing with a controler that was starting to have drift issues won out.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Twincityhacker posted:

I get why NG+ exists, but I think they didn't succede on what they were trying to do - Bethesda saw that people make new saves and play again, plus the popularity of quick start mods and *thought* that this would be the best way to intergrate that into the game itself.

Anyway, what would be a good price point for the game? I did have fun for the ~10 hours I played on gamepass before my irritation with playing with a controler that was starting to have drift issues won out.

As someone who has for the entire existence of the game been Conflicted about Skyrim, I still probably have half a dozen different playthroughs. Bethesda's mistake was thinking I ever finished the story on any of them.

I even got the DLCs at some kind of sale at some point in like 2016 and have seen about 5% of their combined story content lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It has to mean something that I did NewGame+ once and hated it, but still made a couple new characters with considerable play time. People like restarting, and they like restarting as other characters, even if who you are in a Bethesda game is largely head cannon.

If this was their way of accommodating "restartitis" they've done a bad job; Sunless Sea and other Roguelikes where you build a lineage of connected but distinct characters suggests a better way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
They absolutely hosed up by continuing the Bethesda tradition of not having the outcome of quests fundamentally change anything. If I can be King poo poo of Turd Mountain in the UC, Freestar, and the goddamn Pirates what appeal does an NG+ have? The quests all stay the same, there’s no content that I can’t see in one run, so why am I going to nuke my custom ships and outposts to do another run?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Imagine doing Skyrim new game+ once you've kicked Alduin in the scales. Instead of going back to adventuring you can chose to end up on the prison wagon again. Sounds dreadful.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Poil posted:

Imagine doing Skyrim new game+ once you've kicked Alduin in the scales. Instead of going back to adventuring you can chose to end up on the prison wagon again. Sounds dreadful.

Yeah but you can collect all the shouts again to make each one 5% more powerful.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Honestly Anthem wasn't too bad, all in all. It was fun enough for 10-20 hours if you got it at a steep discount, it just didn't have much going past that.

I suppose the same could be said for Starfield except you can't get it for $6. If you could then it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Sure, but saying a game is good for 10-20 hours of dicking around is itself a pretty harsh condemnation of something that was supposed to be the new GAAS forever-title that you would log into daily for years and rack up thousands of hours. It wanted to be Destiny 2.

Twincityhacker posted:

I'm of two minds on this. If you just want a number? Eh, on sale for $15 I'd say it's "worth" it in that you're getting a cheap game that you'll have fun loving around in for a few hours.

The problem is that the world is full of amazing games and none of us has enough time to play them all. It's not just the financial cost of whatever you shell out for it, but the opportunity cost of what you're not doing because you're playing Starfield instead. If you're an absolutely degenerate gamer who spends 10 hours a day gaming? Sure, whatever, you're already drinking from the firehose of content and you don't need to prioritize like the rest of us. If you have a job, and family, and only get maybe 2 hours of gaming in a day, tops? You've got to be a lot more selective.

From that standpoint I'd say that there is no price where playing this makes sense. It's so mediocre and bland that it's not worth your time at free. Grab any one of the incredible bangers that dropped last year. If you're looking specifically for the Bethesda first person RPG experience I'd argue that modded Skyrim is still going to be a better use of your time than this.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah but you can collect all the shouts again to make each one 5% more powerful.

Honestly the idea of a save game with the shouts off the bat does sound alluring, start off your once-every-few-years playthrough skipping even pretending to do the greybeard stuff

Downside is that based on current convention, the act of buying a house would generate enough items to permacrash your save

e: In hindsight I kind of wonder if someone hasn't already made an elder scroll flavored NG+ looping mechanic mod for skyrim, after starfield

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 26, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly the idea of a save game with the shouts off the bat does sound alluring, start off your once-every-few-years playthrough skipping even pretending to do the greybeard stuff

Downside is that based on current convention, the act of buying a house would generate enough items to permacrash your save

Want to start a game with all your shouts in Skyrim? Well have I got good news for you then.

That's not even a mod I use. I just assumed while googling that it existed, because lol of course there's a skyrim mod for just about anything you could want.

It's going to be interesting to see the relative vibrancy of the Skryim and Starfield mod scenes in two or three years.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Doesn’t Starfield have changes that make it worse for modding even if everyone loved the game?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Shouts were at least connected to somewhat unique encounters vs doing the same run for five minutes, find the opening of the temple, float at sparkles times 30, fight some dickhead waiting directly outside

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Flowing Thot posted:

Doesn’t Starfield have changes that make it worse for modding even if everyone loved the game?

My understanding is that it's not worse so much as it's just not identical to how Skyrim handled stuff. Which wouldn't be too big of a problem if they released the mod tools on day one with the rest of the game but Bethesda has no idea why people like their games so lol

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bethesda has no idea why people like their games

A rare moment of self-awareness.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Cyrano4747 posted:

From that standpoint I'd say that there is no price where playing this makes sense. It's so mediocre and bland that it's not worth your time at free. Grab any one of the incredible bangers that dropped last year. If you're looking specifically for the Bethesda first person RPG experience I'd argue that modded Skyrim is still going to be a better use of your time than this.
Yeah, in a post-Baldur’s Gate 3 world it’s really hard to argue for Starfield. A single run is 80+ hours of interesting writing and meaningful choices, and you could realistically do several substantially different ones. It loses on value, writing, worldbuilding, replayability, everything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I 100% believe the stories about studio leads mad at being compared disfavorably to BG3 and I will not be convinced otherwise

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Tiny Timbs posted:

I 100% believe the stories about studio leads mad at being compared disfavorably to BG3 and I will not be convinced otherwise

I'd say it's unfair to compare a game to BG3, which had the benefit of a studio with over a decade of experience, the backing of two well-known IPs (Baldur's Gate and D&D), and significant support over a long early-access period. But really, if there's any studio and game to compare to in terms of content, experience, financial backing, and time to produce, it would be Starfield and Bethesda. And Christ is it a stark comparison.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Talkie Toaster posted:

Yeah, in a post-Baldur’s Gate 3 world it’s really hard to argue for Starfield. A single run is 80+ hours of interesting writing and meaningful choices, and you could realistically do several substantially different ones. It loses on value, writing, worldbuilding, replayability, everything.

poo poo, you don't even need to be in a "post BG3 world." Frankly I think the idea is kind of silly - it's not like there haven't been other good, complete games made. I love BG3, but most of what it's being celebrated for - not having a poo poo ton of bullshit microtransactions, being a complete game, having an engaging narrative and interesting characters, etc. were also done by Witcher 3. gently caress, RDR2 if you ignore the RD:O stuff. There are tons of great single player games out there.

If BG3 never existed Starfield would still look mediocre in comparison to, gently caress, any decent game made in the last 20 years. Hell, it looks mediocre in comparison to loving Skyrim.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hell, it looks mediocre in comparison to loving Skyrim.

I think this is the most damning statement. Yes, Skyrim was made by different people and on a different scale and whatnot, but as a game it had so much more to offer than Starfield. The systems felt integrated, the world was big in a way that suited the gameplay, and the writing, while nothing special, was good enough to get you out there into crawling some dungeons.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It's been said a million times, but they eliminated exploring from their space exploration game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also there were like, different dungeons to crawl. Yeah they had a lot of common elements but it wasn’t the same 4 places copied and pasted.

I didn’t even like Skyrim but it was better executed than Starfield.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I still don’t really agree that Starfield is on a much bigger scale than Skyrim in any meaningful sense. The procgen content is irrelevant and while the cities are physically bigger with more NPCs their content and NPC behaviors aren’t as detailed.

Like yes, technically going from planet to planet represents a much bigger scale. But practically you’re going from a Skyrim-sized city area to another Skyrim-sized city area.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like you don’t ever really interact with the game at the larger scale. There’s no reason to treat a planet like more than a couple small pre-defined locations. There’s nothing happening between planets and star systems outside of the extremely limited and semi-functional outpost system.

It has the effect of fast traveling from Whiterun to Winterhold and being told you actually went to a different galaxy. Such scale!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

I still don’t really agree that Starfield is on a much bigger scale than Skyrim in any meaningful sense. The procgen content is irrelevant and while the cities are physically bigger with more NPCs their content and NPC behaviors aren’t as detailed.

Like yes, technically going from planet to planet represents a much bigger scale. But practically you’re going from a Skyrim-sized city area to another Skyrim-sized city area.

That’s one of the fundamental problems with how the game was designed that Bethesda has refused to understand (“the astronauts weren’t bored on the moon!”)- they have a lot of square footage in the game but it’s completely wasted because there’s nothing to do in that space but tilt your analog stick forward and wait. It doesn’t matter how much of it there is if all of it is the same.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
So much AAA gaming is just eating a bag of cornmeal that someone's put five Ferrero Rochers into, but Starfield is such a good example of that.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Philippe posted:

So much AAA gaming is just eating a bag of cornmeal that someone's put five Ferrero Rochers into, but Starfield is such a good example of that.

to torture your metaphor its as if it was a bag of cornmeal with a bunch of gold wrappers littered all over the surface and everyone has a different breaking point where they realized they were tricked and it is cornmeal all the way down

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
they also seemed to expect everyone to be impressed by something no mans sky has already been doing for over 6 years

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Doing better, even. I never had the urge to "explore" in Starfield. Maybe it's because the planets and space are so disconnected.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s not a problem that there’s a ton of empty space. It’d be weird if there wasn’t, and I definitely don’t expect human beings to realistically design entire video game planets. It’s perfectly fine to have a sparsely populated universe and it doesn’t need much narrative justification (which they still kinda messed up).

There’s just nothing happening at large scale. People practically don’t move at all, never mind between planets and star systems. There’s nothing happening in the game that isn’t at the same scale as if you had plucked locations out of Skyrim, called them planets, and generated some terrain around them. Arguably the scale is even smaller with the lack of NPC agency.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Talkie Toaster posted:

Hey, it's got custom spaceships! Some people are enjoying the hell out of the ship builder, it's got a nice casual accessibility most space games lack (especially if you're modding parts tolerances or outright ignoring them with copy glitching). Not much else to the game at this time though, that's true.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah if we're talking pre-release hype only, Starfield wins hands down, but I could see an argument for comperable disappointment if you take Anthem as a whole package of "studio acclaimed for making well-recieved single player games decides to chase the Destiny GAAS money, disappointing their long time fans from the word go and eventually flubbing the thing anyways"

Watching these giant, respected studios that made somewhat formulaic but well received games get complacent, chase trends, then trash their reputations has been fascinating. And I say that as someone who didn't hate Andromeda or Starfield.

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I just really wish there'd been space for our explorers to actually be like exploring anything