Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ulmont posted:

Chicago and surrounding areas would be my guess.

that's like 150 miles from chicago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ulmont posted:

Chicago and surrounding areas would be my guess.

Chicago is smallish though.

Hog country and soy country have a decent amount of overlap, but there is no Illinois gap in soy:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Remember that particular map is from 1948, so what's there now isn't going to be much of a factor in where the wild hogs were.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Does anyone know why the hog cloud cloud isn't contiguous, breaking up over east/central Illinois? Something about that area make it less hospitable to hog-raising/more amenable to a different industry?

My first thought was rivers, but also it appears this map sure looks like a 1920 USDA map of pig farms rather than wild pigs, who would probably be split up by a lot of urban areas or industries that find more value in sidling up close to major lines of transportation.

More recent USDA maps seem to indicate that pig farming is still really big in Iowa, but for some reason North Carolina has emerged as a major pork producer in the last century.

Whereas in the USDA's maps of feral pigs, they seem to be dominantly way in the south.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/wildlifedamage/operational-activities/feral-swine/sa-fs-history

My guess is that's probably where a lot of pig farmers went out of business, releasing their pigs into the wild.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

for some reason North Carolina has emerged as a major pork producer in the last century.

quote:

[Eastern North Carolina hog farms] are located in rural farming communities that have an abundance of nearby corn and soybeans (the main ingredients in feed) and are within a short drive of pork processing plants.

When the industry began to grew significantly in the late 1980s and early 1990s, it was because tobacco farmers were being encouraged to diversify so they were less reliant on tobacco. And there were plenty of tobacco farmers in eastern North Carolina.

So, the answer is actually somewhat politically loaded! American smoking has been falling since the 1950s, but there was an especially big drop in the 1980s.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
trying to find the article about the guy who did flyovers of all of the bright pink “lagoons” of pig poo poo in va/nc that you can smell from the air and that the advice if somebody falls in is to let them die because if you try to save them you’ll just end up another casualty

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Does anyone know why the hog cloud cloud isn't contiguous, breaking up over east/central Illinois? Something about that area make it less hospitable to hog-raising/more amenable to a different industry?

This is a post that could also have been made in the universe where we lost Mexico and Canada to the hogs

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Can anyone tell me how big of an influence soybean producers have on the government of South Dakota,? I wanna know how much to worry about Big Soy

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

BonHair posted:

Was it these scribbles that caused the amazing enclaves around (on? The prepositions feel weird) the border? I think they straightened it out recently, but I remember third level enclaves going on.

You're thinking of the border between India and Bangladesh (previously East Pakistan), which did have a single third-order enclave involved. Most of those (including the third-order enclave) were abolished when the border was simplified in a 2015 agreement.

iirc from when I last read up on this, the funky border situation actually pre-dated British colonization of the area, with the reason for it being uncertain and unrecorded. The legend around it is that the neighboring pre-colonial lords liked to use small parcels of land as wagers in games with each other.

edit: on checking again, the land-wager thing is a common popular legend, but the more likely cause was apparently a poorly-written treaty in the early 1700s that effectively froze the temporary territorial gains of the war it ended.

edit 2: Just so my post has a map, here's Wikipedia's map for Dahala Khagrabari, which was the world's only third-order enclave when it existed! It was apparently just an unpopulated field.

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 26, 2024

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mr. Belpit posted:

You're thinking of the border between India and Bangladesh (previously East Pakistan), which did have a single third-order enclave involved. Most of those (including the third-order enclave) were abolished when the border was simplified in a 2015 agreement.

iirc from when I last read up on this, the funky border situation actually pre-dated British colonization of the area, with the reason for it being uncertain and unrecorded. The legend around it is that the neighboring pre-colonial lords liked to use small parcels of land as wagers in games with each other.

edit: on checking again, the land-wager thing is a common popular legend, but the more likely cause was apparently a poorly-written treaty in the early 1700s that effectively froze the temporary territorial gains of the war it ended.

edit 2: Just so my post has a map, here's Wikipedia's map for Dahala Khagrabari, which was the world's only third-order enclave when it existed! It was apparently just an unpopulated field.

Dear Valentine,

I want to mix our flesh like India and Bangladesh

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I know I shouldn't still be getting surprised by the Mercator projection, but I've been reading about Southeast Asia lately and decided to look up the Malay Archipelago up on truesize out of curiosity and was slightly mind-blown:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The island of Borneo is about the size of France, but with a third of the population, around the size of Taiwan or Romania.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Koramei posted:

I know I shouldn't still be getting surprised by the Mercator projection, but I've been reading about Southeast Asia lately and decided to look up the Malay Archipelago up on truesize out of curiosity and was slightly mind-blown:

yo looks at this goons flaccid papua

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Things as wide as the USA from NYC to San Francisco

1. Indonesia
2. The Sahara
3. The Mediterranean
4. Chile (on its side)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
5. Your mom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

6. The Moon (almost)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the universe were scaled down such that the Sun shrunk to the size of a softball on home plate at PacBell Park in San Francisco, Earth would be a large grain of sand, about a millimetre in diameter, just short of the pitcher’s mound.

The nearest neighboring star, Proxima Centauri, would be in New York City.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

If the universe were scaled down such that the Sun shrunk to the size of a softball on home plate at PacBell Park in San Francisco, Earth would be a large grain of sand, about a millimetre in diameter, just short of the pitcher’s mound.

That explains the pizza situation around Proxima. It's getting so you can't find a decent Chicago-style deep-dish anywhere outside the drat Oort cloud.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

How large would the earth and the sun be if we pictured them as a hot dog bun, or a bag?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I would simply divide up a united and heterogenous ethno-linguistic region in a way that minimizes disruption and death

I mean, this was not really possible to do. The Brits and French did this with the Treaty of Lausanne and people are still bitching about that more than 100 years later (usually, idiots who call it Sykes-Picot), even though it was designed primarily around local ethno-linguistic boundaries.

Try setting a good boundary today between Red America and Blue America, or in 1960 between Black America and White-Passing America (and who knows wtf to do with Asians in that model). That wouldn't have worked either in large sections.

Turns out setting country boundaries is hard. And not having country boundaries is also pretty bad, historically, vis-a-vis it set the stage for tons of horrific wars.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 26, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Brits were actively encouraging animosity between Hindus and Muslims before decolonization because Hindu and Muslim students were united in protesting British colonial rule and the Brits figured "if we can get them fighting each other they won't fight us as much."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's pretty standard stuff for autocratic imperial rule to play groups against eachother by their identity to maintain power, even while the structure of an imperial state makes people from across the empire mix and stew in a way that'd be hard to separate afterwards. The whole system of maintaining power is about sabotaging the potential for something to come afterward right up until the empire is gone and something has to come afterwards.

Of course when the British arrived, they butted into the waning days of the Mughal empire, who had their own autocratic order centering on maintaining power, and I suppose now decades after the British left, we still have the lands they occupied in the hands of autocrats trying to forcibly suppress dissent. There's just a lot of bad people out there ready to grab hold of power at any cost, and it's hard to really get the ball rolling against that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mr. Belpit posted:

i mean it could just be regular old real estate bought and sold by different local lords, they werent always contiguous. we had a lot of that in europe as well so idk why it has to be a weird funny reason like gambling

Slesvig-Holsten was a hot mess, down to individual farms belonging at times either to a duchy, or the king as duke or personally, or the danish kingdom, with all that follows (taxes, courts, etc).

see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle-Hertog

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Saladman posted:

I mean, this was not really possible to do. The Brits and French did this with the Treaty of Lausanne and people are still bitching about that more than 100 years later (usually, idiots who call it Sykes-Picot), even though it was designed primarily around local ethno-linguistic boundaries.

Try setting a good boundary today between Red America and Blue America, or in 1960 between Black America and White-Passing America (and who knows wtf to do with Asians in that model). That wouldn't have worked either in large sections.

Turns out setting country boundaries is hard. And not having country boundaries is also pretty bad, historically, vis-a-vis it set the stage for tons of horrific wars.

Yes that’s the joke behind the “I would simply” meme format

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Can anyone tell me how big of an influence soybean producers have on the government of South Dakota,? I wanna know how much to worry about Big Soy

I think they currently have an awkward relationship with it due to the importance of China for their exports. East River, corn would still be more important. I can’t imagine too many West River politicians care about soy much at all unless it happened to impact the big ranchers.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Yes that’s the joke behind the “I would simply” meme format

Ah, wasn't familiar with that meme format, even after Googling it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Consistent rumours of fentanyl production scared off a lot of the hogs to work elsewhere.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Saladman posted:

What's wrong with referring to Sykes-Picot? It helped define much of the post war middle East and pretty well exemplifies how dumb empires can be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Count Roland posted:

What's wrong with referring to Sykes-Picot? It helped define much of the post war middle East and pretty well exemplifies how dumb empires can be.

It did, but it was also never implemented in the face of the backlash after the Soviets published it. The actual borders that get drawn at San Remo are also very different in important ways.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Saladman posted:

Ah, wasn't familiar with that meme format, even after Googling it.

I would simply know all the memes

This map must have been drawn by an Italian. Credit for having Turkey kinda shaped like a Turkey though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

It did, but it was also never implemented in the face of the backlash after the Soviets published it. The actual borders that get drawn at San Remo are also very different in important ways.

Yeah, several treaties took its place and several of the plans didn't make it through. Still, I think without listing several treaties the term Sykes-Picot does the best job of summarizing the imperialist double dealing that led to the middle east we have today.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

drk posted:

So, the answer is actually somewhat politically loaded! American smoking has been falling since the 1950s, but there was an especially big drop in the 1980s.

just smoke the pigs, in more ways than one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m a section of Chihuahua, México.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't know what Kroger is but I'm guessing they sell hogs?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiminewt posted:

I don't know what Kroger is but I'm guessing they sell hogs?

If you live in America they own most grocery stores, and might literally own all of them soon.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

There are many strong regional chains that are not Kroger's or Albertsons.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
True. Lots of Gwep's and Food Mommys where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Great color coding there :thumbsup: