Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Disco Pope posted:

Keeping up with, understanding and implementing computer upgrades is a hobby in itself. Which is fine, but a lot of people can't be hosed with it and just want to know Bloodborne or Zelda will work when they sit down on the sofa to play it.

If people aren't "into" computers, they'll have a laptop or even a tablet that's plenty for their non-gaming needs.

To say nothing of the cost difference too. A PC capable of comfortably playing PS5 games for the entire generation will cost more than just buying a PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Nothing has changed really, games are still held back by consoles and people lazily continue to rely on inferior off the shelf hardware for their computers.

:goonsay:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

To say nothing of the cost difference too. A PC capable of comfortably playing PS5 games for the entire generation will cost more than just buying a PS5.

The cost of using that PS5 is like $100/yr

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The division of labour was humanity's biggest mistake. I have the perfect idea for a new computer part, it's half the size of a GPU, eight times as loud, and contains all the powers of 11 much larger computers.

Unfortunately our corporate educations mean I can barely identify clay to make the first kiln unless it's brightly coloured and sitting in a store or webpage.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That may be true if I didn't need a computer for anything else but I'm not going to do my taxes or watch youtube videos on a PS5

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Khanstant posted:

Easy, they tried putting it on console and it came out console quality. Plus people's hardware was so crappy the game had to run at a tiny resolution since they couldn't fit it all on one screen.

Nothing has changed really, games are still held back by consoles and people lazily continue to rely on inferior off the shelf hardware for their computers.

Held back how

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Art direction and aesthetic implementation is like 9000% more important than graphical fidelity

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm not sure what game would be designed for these super powered pcs if consoles didn't exist

oh wait, its called Star Citizen

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

let's not waste our time with ridiculous hypotheticals

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Quit wasting everyone's time with computers/consoles and just develop micro chips I can shove directly into my brain already.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I was always a PC gaming guy in high school but honestly my gaming PC rarely gets booted up because as a 40something I just want to sit on my couch and play some videogames

Friends are all "get on discord and we can play this PC game" and it's like dude I sit in an office chair all day for work. It's couch time and keyboard+mouse sucks on the couch

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I was always a PC gaming guy in high school but honestly my gaming PC rarely gets booted up because as a 40something I just want to sit on my couch and play some videogames

Friends are all "get on discord and we can play this PC game" and it's like dude I sit in an office chair all day for work. It's couch time and keyboard+mouse sucks on the couch

This is why I bought a Deck (and later an ROG Ally because I don't want to loving tinker so much). Playing World of Warcraft, Helldivers 2, and all my normal games on a Switch-like form factor is a big deal. I hate sitting down at a desk to play video games now, and it sucks for my SO too. It's better if we're together, even if we're doing different things.

I will say it was very tempting to buy a PS5 and their handheld thing, but Sony loves to lock their poo poo down. It's quite annoying actually.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 26, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Held back how

By the physical limits of technology. The 2600 only had 128 bytes of RAM and the backgrounds needed to mirror or copy the other half of the screen. People had imaginations capable of visualizing things that looked better than they could make.

Just because we have much better graphical illusions doesn't mean an art director or game maker can actually achieve their visions without necessarily reshaping them for the sake of "being playable on real hardware that exists already." Wanna make a world with 8 billion simulated goblins doing simearth poo poo? Too bad no matter if the graphics are green metahumans or green ASCII. Wanna make a world of Legos that stretches into the horizon well not if you want it to have a playable frame rate you can't. Want to make a beautiful grass field well okay but not too much grass or it'll just be a weird circle of grass that sticks under your character like a shadow. Wanna make a game where you have 3 bases of Pokemon doing automated craft busywork? Well too bad they gotta turn off a bit when you walk too far away for too long. Wanna make a game the size of a solar system or go crazy and do a galaxy or universe too bad the numbers are too big can't track relative distances anymore gotta fake it. Fully destructible terrain are you sure you don't mean debris dust animation over a deleted walls former hitbox? Wanna have 400 dwarves too bad that's just too many. Want to write your name on a wall with paintballs well it better be a short name.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
if i'm playing video games they are either
- multiplayer with discord in the background to keep in touch with old friends or
- weird rear end indie games from finland

it's PC for me

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I've played enough console shooters that I now prefer a controller for any FPS game, but I'm 100% PC-based now that there's crossplay. Also like having a PC so I can play old games and anything turn-based

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 26, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Want to make a beautiful grass field well okay but not too much grass or it'll just be a weird circle of grass that sticks under your character like a shadow.

There's probably an irl grass field within your vicinity that looks even better than a video game, and judging by your posts it might do you some good to go walk around in it for a bit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Get a better chair. If going from chair to couch is a noticeable upgrade then you've got a bad chair and of you're going to sit in it all day whether you want to or not, might as well make it a place you'd always be happy to sit. Bonus if you can make work pay for it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vampire Panties posted:

I've played enough console shooters that I know prefer a controller for any FPS game, but I'm 100% PC-based now that there's crossplay. Also like having a PC so I can play old games and anything turn-based

Buy a Steam Deck (or similar). If you're concerned about performance you can just stream the games to your Deck. The solutions for that are absurdly well done.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Vampire Panties posted:

I've played enough console shooters that I know prefer a controller for any FPS game

That's like saying you've driven enough forklifts to know you prefer using five levers to control your vehicle instead of a steering wheel and pedals.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

There's probably an irl grass field within your vicinity that looks even better than a video game, and judging by your posts it might do you some good to go walk around in it for a bit.

I made the post while walking, in many ways nature itself wrote it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Get a better chair. If going from chair to couch is a noticeable upgrade then you've got a bad chair and of you're going to sit in it all day whether you want to or not, might as well make it a place you'd always be happy to sit. Bonus if you can make work pay for it.

It's probably more my desk, i am Very Tall and I have a nice tall office chair from a previous employer but my desk is just a fuckin table. I've thought about getting a new desk but yeah I should make work pay for it, good lookin out

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I can play my games on my own PC while sitting on YOUR couch.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

That's like saying you've driven enough forklifts to know you prefer using five levers to control your vehicle instead of a steering wheel and pedals.

Its only a problem for games that don't have any sort of aim assist, which are vanishingly few :ssh: playing Destiny with a controller on PC is like an aimbot :ssh:

I played War Thunder exclusively with a m+k, which is probably sub optimal to using a joystick but :shrug:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I mean I can stream poo poo too but these days if I'm playing video games it's to disconnect from online

Speaking of, the lack of good couch multiplayer these days sucks and friends and I end up playing N64 and psx multitap games on the mister instead of any of the many modern systems I have.

Mister Saturn core needs multitap emulation though so we can do 10 player Bomberman :getin:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

Quit wasting everyone's time with computers/consoles and just develop micro chips I can shove directly into my brain already.

That's every microchip, go nuts

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly like PC way more for old poo poo than any sort of bleeding edge applications. It's fun to play PS3 era stuff at a high frame rate and resolution which I can do easily with my 5 year old laptop that I have no intention of upgrading or on the steam deck. Also prefer to play CRPGs there. other than that I'll always just go console, cause that's where all of my friends are and playing games on the couch is obviously better than sitting at a desk.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
My chair has wheels I can just push myself away and I'm at no desk no more

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Khanstant posted:

By the physical limits of technology. The 2600 only had 128 bytes of RAM and the backgrounds needed to mirror or copy the other half of the screen. People had imaginations capable of visualizing things that looked better than they could make.

Just because we have much better graphical illusions doesn't mean an art director or game maker can actually achieve their visions without necessarily reshaping them for the sake of "being playable on real hardware that exists already." Wanna make a world with 8 billion simulated goblins doing simearth poo poo? Too bad no matter if the graphics are green metahumans or green ASCII. Wanna make a world of Legos that stretches into the horizon well not if you want it to have a playable frame rate you can't. Want to make a beautiful grass field well okay but not too much grass or it'll just be a weird circle of grass that sticks under your character like a shadow. Wanna make a game where you have 3 bases of Pokemon doing automated craft busywork? Well too bad they gotta turn off a bit when you walk too far away for too long. Wanna make a game the size of a solar system or go crazy and do a galaxy or universe too bad the numbers are too big can't track relative distances anymore gotta fake it. Fully destructible terrain are you sure you don't mean debris dust animation over a deleted walls former hitbox? Wanna have 400 dwarves too bad that's just too many. Want to write your name on a wall with paintballs well it better be a short name.

None of this poo poo seems a worthwhile endeavour for a video game

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the brochure said there'd only be a few dwarves

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fridge corn posted:

None of this poo poo seems a worthwhile endeavour for a video game

Don't know what worthwhile endeavors and videogames have to do with one another, but those are things existing games have as their limits they push against.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

the brochure said there'd only be a few dwarves

dwarf fortress is best when you only have a handful of dwarves so you can actually get to know them and their opinions about cave spider silk socks or whatever

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

*fists clenched just thinking of people playing on consoles

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jokes posted:

The cost of using that PS5 is like $100/yr

This has really killed any enthusiasm I have for ever getting a console. It's weird that people never talk about it.

I also wouldn't give a poo poo if graphics were just at like a PS3 level indefinitely :shrug:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Disco Pope posted:

Keeping up with, understanding and implementing computer upgrades is a hobby in itself. Which is fine, but a lot of people can't be hosed with it and just want to know Bloodborne or Zelda will work when they sit down on the sofa to play it.

If people aren't "into" computers, they'll have a laptop or even a tablet that's plenty for their non-gaming needs.

you don't have to keep up unless you're a broke brained "pc master race" graphics-card-review youtuber who can't enjoy pressing butan with less than 200fps or if there's a non-raytraced shadow on screen
you can get a "pretty good" computer once each console generation with hardware on par with the consoles and nearly every game that releases that gen will work on it, albeit not at ultra-maximum settings.
the downside is you're still paying a bit more per unit of horsepower than the consoles because they represent a unified target and game devs can put more effort into optimizing for their specific hardware.

but you dont have to pay an extra $60/year to use your own god drat internet and you can play cool weird indie games that aren't big or important enough to show up on console. and emulators and whatnot too.

QuarkJets posted:

That may be true if I didn't need a computer for anything else but I'm not going to do my taxes or watch youtube videos on a PS5

you can do taxes and watch youtube videos on any cheapo 8 year old laptop though, the cost to make a "gaming pc" with a big gpu, cpu and lots of ram doesn't have a lot of overlap with those needs.
now if you need to do hardware intensive stuff like blender, photoshop, video editing etc then maybe that makes sense.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but you dont have to pay an extra $60/year to use your own god drat internet and you can play cool weird indie games that aren't big or important enough to show up on console. and emulators and whatnot too.

Performance of the PS5 is actually pretty dang great for the price, but PS+ is $80/year, at its cheapest. If you pay month-to-month it's $120/year.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Devils Affricate posted:

Pac Man on the 2600 was laughably bad, like how do you gently caress up Pac Man?

For some reason I had it in my brain that this was one of the many 2600 titles where the developer(s) were given like two weeks to make something, but I just looked it up and the developer of the 2600 Pac Man claims to have worked on it for 80 hours a week for six months.

jokes posted:

Performance of the PS5 is actually pretty dang great for the price, but PS+ is $80/year, at its cheapest. If you pay month-to-month it's $120/year.

PS+ goes on deep discount in various places at least once a year to around half price. And it's not required if all you want to do is play lovely F2P games online, which is like 99% of what people play online across all formats.

Still, I'm nostalgic for the days where I'd play Heroes of Might & Magic 3 online with my then-girlfriend by texting her my IP address so she could connect to the game from her 56k modem to my blazing fast 1.2mbps ADSL. No matchmaking or server browsing bollocks required!

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 27, 2024

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Quote-Unquote posted:

For some reason I had it in my brain that this was one of the many 2600 titles where the developer(s) were given like two weeks to make something, but I just looked it up and the developer of the 2600 Pac Man claims to have worked on it for 80 hours a week for six months.

Dumbass motherfucking rear end developer

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

PS+ goes on deep discount in various places at least once a year to around half price.

This great for people who want to start subscribing to PS+ at that particular time of year.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can do taxes and watch youtube videos on any cheapo 8 year old laptop though, the cost to make a "gaming pc" with a big gpu, cpu and lots of ram doesn't have a lot of overlap with those needs.
now if you need to do hardware intensive stuff like blender, photoshop, video editing etc then maybe that makes sense.

Honestly, unless you want to play FPS games, even an 8 year old laptop can do some decent gaming. I've been working off a Surface Pro 4 for a few months now, and I have to play Dark Souls in 720p but its been fine? :shrug: