Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'll give it to them, this is much more the kind of tone I wanted from their communications. A vast improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

On another topic, someone just dropped another game-changer for SimCity 4: https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/763010-submenus-dll/

Submenus

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ms Adequate posted:

On another topic, someone just dropped another game-changer for SimCity 4: https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/763010-submenus-dll/

Submenus

:tviv:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ms Adequate posted:

Submenus

Holy poo poo. Wonder how difficult it is to add buildings to the submenus. drat came with a little setup editor, hopefully there'd be the same here.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Ms Adequate posted:

Submenus

Whoa.

Also, nice, a license, documentation, a Makefile. Very good.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I was asking a buddy about this last week but, even aside from the rushed release, I wonder where the problem began. Was it way too much ambition on simulation, at the cost of everything else? Did they bite more than they could chew as a 30 person team?

re: sc4 submenus - it took me a few seconds (till I looked at the gifs) to appreciate how much of a QoL boon that is.

e2: sc4 has such a warm place in my heart. I remember playing it as a child and being blown away by the animals that spawned when you created forests or seeing the whales in the ocean :kiddo:

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 26, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I guess I sound like a broken record on this, but my money is on organisational disfunction, but I'm a Process Guy, so… :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

mfcrocker posted:

I'll give it to them, this is much more the kind of tone I wanted from their communications. A vast improvement.

Agreed, I'm still not hugely optimistic but I will at least give them credit for finally really stating in plain language that things have been real bad so far and that they have a long way to go to fix it all. It felt a like they either didn't grasp or refused to acknowledge just what a shitshow it all was, and without that, at best we feel taken for a ride and at worst they genuinely wouldn't know what state their game was in and thus couldn't fix it. At least with this I can restore a little confidence that one day things are gonna be good.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 26, 2024

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, I appreciate it, but so far they've not done enough for me to consider buying the game.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

buglord posted:

I was asking a buddy about this last week but, even aside from the rushed release, I wonder where the problem began. Was it way too much ambition on simulation, at the cost of everything else? Did they bite more than they could chew as a 30 person team?

My homerish take is that CO started as a tiny indie company (like 3 people) making small scoped games in Cities In Motion 1 and 2, caught on to a huge success with Cities: Skylines, still as a small company, and rode that wave on to many DLC and big plans for Cities: Skylines 2.

For C:S2 they set the scope much larger, expanded to be a much larger team, and chose new Unity frameworks that they thought would be helpful (https://blog.paavo.me/cities-skylines-2-performance/#summary-and-conclusions), but ended up not being ready for production when they were coming up to their original target date.

They got too successful, ran head first in to greatly expanding their company, didn't refine or evolve their processes, ran in to development delays with covid and Unity stuff, and were forced to release this game underbaked. Growing pains in a growing company that has to capitalize on a big success.

My other hot take, as I've said before, is that they were always kinda mediocre as a games development studio. Cities: Skylines 2 kinda sucks as a game, and they've never really had to think outside the box and refine their games, they've been making them in the same vein since Cities In Motion 1. The gameplay of C:S1 is shallow, and they never really evolved it from the base game -- aside from the Industries DLC which did actually add a cool industries loop, but the lead designer for that also seems to have left the company before C:S2, so who knows if there's any smoke there.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dwesa posted:

Yeah, I appreciate it, but so far they've not done enough for me to consider buying the game.

Oh definitely don't buy it yet. Give it another year at least.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If you do buy it, expect the 2 hours of your refund window to be “oh this isn’t that bad” and then several hours after you’ll go “…ohhh”. Play it if you already have Gamepass or can get those dollar introductory offers if you’re that interested.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

piratepilates posted:

My homerish take is that CO started as a tiny indie company (like 3 people) making small scoped games in Cities In Motion 1 and 2, caught on to a huge success with Cities: Skylines, still as a small company, and rode that wave on to many DLC and big plans for Cities: Skylines 2.

For C:S2 they set the scope much larger, expanded to be a much larger team, and chose new Unity frameworks that they thought would be helpful (https://blog.paavo.me/cities-skylines-2-performance/#summary-and-conclusions), but ended up not being ready for production when they were coming up to their original target date.

They got too successful, ran head first in to greatly expanding their company, didn't refine or evolve their processes, ran in to development delays with covid and Unity stuff, and were forced to release this game underbaked. Growing pains in a growing company that has to capitalize on a big success.

My other hot take, as I've said before, is that they were always kinda mediocre as a games development studio. Cities: Skylines 2 kinda sucks as a game, and they've never really had to think outside the box and refine their games, they've been making them in the same vein since Cities In Motion 1. The gameplay of C:S1 is shallow, and they never really evolved it from the base game -- aside from the Industries DLC which did actually add a cool industries loop, but the lead designer for that also seems to have left the company before C:S2, so who knows if there's any smoke there.

:emptyquote:

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Dwesa posted:

CS2 CEO posted:

Only time will tell if this is enough to turn things around.

Yeah, at this point I'd be holding off pretty easily.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

Ms Adequate posted:

Submenus

:aaa: oh yes, we are getting closer

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
Sim City 4000 Unlimited within our lifetimes.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

buglord posted:

Play it if you already have Gamepass or can get those dollar introductory offers if you’re that interested.

I did this and can recommend. You'll even get like 6 days to play some good games because CS2 gets old in an evening, especially if you already know what all the problems are and don't have to spend hours wondering if you're doing something wrong

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Raymond T. Racing posted:

ah yes, the better business bureau, known for a. actually having any power and b. having any imaginary power over finland registered companies

Oh no! drat!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
No update this week?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

serious gaylord posted:

No update this week?

The update was "no update this week, exciting new update next week", but they didn't post it to the forums, only to the discord and twitter for some reason:

https://twitter.com/CitiesSkylines/status/1764656209527746965

Guessing it's about the upcoming DLC, or hopefully progress on the assets editor.

Speaking of the upcoming "Beach Properties" DLC, someone somehow (seriously how did they do that) figured out that the picture they've been using on the roadmap isn't from the game, its lifted from a drone shot of a real location in Florida:

Roadmap:

Drone:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6...d25xz?entry=ttu

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 5, 2024

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

piratepilates posted:

The update was "no update this week, exciting new update next week", but they didn't post it to the forums, only to the discord and twitter for some reason:

https://twitter.com/CitiesSkylines/status/1764656209527746965

Guessing it's about the upcoming DLC, or hopefully progress on the assets editor.

Speaking of the upcoming "Beach Properties" DLC, someone somehow (seriously how did they do that) figured out that the picture they've been using on the roadmap isn't from the game, its lifted from a drone shot of a real location in Florida:

Roadmap:

Drone:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6...d25xz?entry=ttu

Why does the "drone" shot look like some rear end-quality AI bullshit?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

taiyoko posted:

Why does the "drone" shot look like some rear end-quality AI bullshit?

it's a google earth 3d visualization.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

It's just a stock photo. I found it in 2 minutes of googling.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/aerial-drone-shot-mansions-florida-774357604

Not saying this is a bad thing, this is the exact purpose for why stock photos exist.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

esquilax posted:

It's just a stock photo. I found it in 2 minutes of googling.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/aerial-drone-shot-mansions-florida-774357604

Not saying this is a bad thing, this is the exact purpose for why stock photos exist.

I would ordinarily agree with you, but this is an aerial view of a beach house, on a banner advertising beach houses we will be seeing at an aerial view. It’s reasonable for someone to look at that and think that the house on the picture is an asset that will be in the game.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

blastron posted:

I would ordinarily agree with you, but this is an aerial view of a beach house, on a banner advertising beach houses we will be seeing at an aerial view. It’s reasonable for someone to look at that and think that the house on the picture is an asset that will be in the game.

They could be using that photo as a reference.

tbh given they've been using that pic since before the DLC even started production it's no surprise it's not an in-game asset.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kyte posted:

They could be using that photo as a reference.

tbh given they've been using that pic since before the DLC even started production it's no surprise it's not an in-game asset.

It's another little helping of bullshit from a company that now has a justified reputation for it

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hahaha, be angry about the poo poo that actually matters, not a company using stock photos in marketing, lol

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jokes on us: the house will also be an in game model, but will be one of only five possible models that spawn in low density res marked for the beach specialty.

I’ve been giving the game a second look with thunderstore and some of the mods at least make it passable, but the variety of buildings still ends up being the killer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Since this is the defacto city builder thread now, Sim City 3000 Unlimited is on Steam and 2 bucks right now

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Oh holy poo poo and Red Alert 2.

Edit: wtf RA2 is behind a subscription along with Generals.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

RBA Starblade posted:

Since this is the defacto city builder thread now, Sim City 3000 Unlimited is on Steam and 2 bucks right now

Strongly recommend buying it on GOG because you can patch it to work on modern resolutions and not have to worry about Steam loving that up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SC3K is still my favorite and I'm addicted again. It's bare bones now but the soundtrack and artstyle is just perfect

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

simcity 3000 art and jazz with sc4 directional zoning, mixed use zones, and NAM :pray:

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Minenfeld! posted:

Oh holy poo poo and Red Alert 2.

Edit: wtf RA2 is behind a subscription along with Generals.

It's not; they're just all part of the ultimate collection. Only set me back 7 bucks for everything except 3.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SC3k soundtrack is the best city builder soundtrack.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Opals25 posted:

It's not; they're just all part of the ultimate collection. Only set me back 7 bucks for everything except 3.

I noticed that shortly after. The RA2 store page is seemingly the only one in the bundle that lists the subscription as the only option. The other games show both. Problem for me is I only want RA2.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
SC3K's aesthetics are my absolute favorite. The extremely bright color palette paired with the cheery jazz music, I really wish someone would adopt that for a future game.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Minenfeld! posted:

I noticed that shortly after. The RA2 store page is seemingly the only one in the bundle that lists the subscription as the only option. The other games show both. Problem for me is I only want RA2.

On the plus side, it's absolutely worth £7

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Clouseau posted:

SC3K's aesthetics are my absolute favorite. The extremely bright color palette paired with the cheery jazz music, I really wish someone would adopt that for a future game.

I've said it before but every other city builder, even SC4, just feels too sterile in comparison. There's no life there. 4 isn't as bad as CS about it but even at the time with its improvements I didn't get as attached to my cities as a result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just the nicest intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSn8_qdXCKc

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 8, 2024