Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My issue with BOTW and TOTK is basically the same. They are both excellently crafted games that you can sink dozens of hours into but it's impossible to not feel like whatever you're currently doing is very shallow. It's one of those gaming experiences where no matter what you're doing in the actual game you're more compelled with the idea of the thing that you're not doing. That's fine when you're new to the game world and there's plenty of objectives for you to get the new shiny thing or level up X or Y, But at some point you kind of have what you want already and at that point the actual mechanical gameplay that you're engaging with just doesn't do anything for me.

They both have extremely compelling early games so I'm not going to call them bad or even average, I'm just never going to call them a complete experience or compare them to my favorite games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think the issue is that people need to decide when they are done with the game, rather than a linear game funneling you into it over time. And it's hard to decide to say "I'm ready to be done," as a personal thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Alxprit posted:

I think the issue is that people need to decide when they are done with the game, rather than a linear game funneling you into it over time. And it's hard to decide to say "I'm ready to be done," as a personal thing.

When you beat Ganon, you are done with the game. It's really as simple as that. You can keep playing because you enjoy it, but you're done when you hit credits.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Weirdly I love Valheim which is basically all of the complaints I have about these two Zelda games except even shallower and it's also not done yet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

When you beat Ganon, you are done with the game. It's really as simple as that. You can keep playing because you enjoy it, but you're done when you hit credits.

I accidentally beat Ganon before I wanted to. I went to the castle to find Zelda so I could get the robot guardian but I mistakenly went underground before I went into the castle proper. Kind of a let down when I realized I was at the final fight. As good as it was, I wanted to do that after I finished everything in the game I wanted to first, as I did in BotW.

I’m still trucking through, completing as much as I can before I feel like I’m done with the game, but the way I did it is making me run out of steam earlier than I think I would have otherwise.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
There's a LOT in these newer Zelda games. Trying to do everything will probably burn you out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There's a LOT in these newer Zelda games. Trying to do everything will probably burn you out.

I barely have bothered even looking for many Korock in both games (my main BOTW game I was able to do a spam glitch that enabled you to re-encounter the Korock on top of Robbie’s lab over and over again for the single week it was around before it was patched). I don’t have full slots for TOTK but enough to get by. poo poo I nearly didn’t bother lighting up the entirety of the Depths until I said gently caress it long after I finished the game. I still haven’t fought in all the coliseums down there nor have I defeated all of the Gleeocks around the world.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yes, I realize that - I mean that some people will keep on playing the game out of a sense of duty or whatever else, when they're ready to be done with it and go beat the final boss.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RCarr posted:

I accidentally beat Ganon before I wanted to. I went to the castle to find Zelda so I could get the robot guardian but I mistakenly went underground before I went into the castle proper. Kind of a let down when I realized I was at the final fight. As good as it was, I wanted to do that after I finished everything in the game I wanted to first, as I did in BotW.

I’m still trucking through, completing as much as I can before I feel like I’m done with the game, but the way I did it is making me run out of steam earlier than I think I would have otherwise.

Alxprit posted:

Yes, I realize that - I mean that some people will keep on playing the game out of a sense of duty or whatever else, when they're ready to be done with it and go beat the final boss.

For me it was the opposite. I wanted to beat the main story as quickly as possible so I could stop worrying about having the ending spoiled. Then I went right back to work on finding all the shrines and lightroots and armor and stuff. Not out of any sense of need or duty, just cause it's a really drat fun game. I have no interest in the true sicko grinds though like finding all koroks and upgrading all armor sets, gently caress that. I still have like 8 shrines to track down but Baldur's Gate is now consuming all my gaming time. Some day

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The year that BotW, I think I played through it at least three times — aided in large part by all the DLC. I just now started a second playthrough of TotK. I wasn't sure if I was gonna stick with it because I played the hell out of the game last spring. But I'm really enjoying going through it in largely different ways. I got the Master Sword before completing any story questions. I've unlocked large chunks of the map and defeated some tough enemies even though almost every hit is a OHKO.

But yeah, I doubt I will put anywhere near the same amount of hours I put into BotW, even though I think TotK is the superior game. After this second playthough, I imagine I'll be done for good. And I went through BotW like five or six times over the years. TotK just isn't different enough, so burning myself out on the first game kind of makes the second a little worse for wear. I'm just excited for whatever they do next because I'd like to see a new world to explore. The sky and depths just didn't add enough in themselves.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I started a new BotW game this weekend because I felt like screwing around on the plateau and seeing the dialogue in a different language. So once I got the glider I beelined to Kakariko and now I'm on my way to Hateno.

There's a lot of NPC scenes and dialogue I either didn't see in past playthroughs or forgot about. Like the guy at the gate of Fort Hateno telling you he's there to honor the people who fought there 100 years ago, because he wouldn't be alive if not for them. He has a surprising number of different lines depending on the time of day or the weather. Or there's the carrot guy in Kakariko who goes to check on his wife in the shop in the afternoon, that's a cute bit. But then there's also Dorian's youngest daughter sneaking out at dawn to visit her mother's grave.

The NPC scheduling in Kakariko at least is pretty elaborate. What I'm hoping is that they make the next game smaller and they have more NPC moments like those. Maybe have a thriving Castle Town again.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I was really hoping that TotK would be set long enough after BotW to have some kind of rudimentary Castle Town built back up. Lookout Landing just doesn’t scratch that itch at all.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I was really hoping that TotK would be set long enough after BotW to have some kind of rudimentary Castle Town built back up. Lookout Landing just doesn’t scratch that itch at all.

Yeah 6 years is time enough for things to be a bit more developed, I agree. It's also pretty stark inside the castle which I would have figured would have been a bit of priority to make as a base of operations, not just the one outside of the town.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm blaming hardware limitations.

But also it kind of makes sense that they would only be starting to really rebuild after a few years given how post-apocalyptic everything was in BotW. Hylian society was 3 small villages and a whole bunch of wandering scavengers. It sounds like by the start of TotK they'd focused on getting trade going and only recently started thinking about rebuilding the castle town.

It's also not very clear how long Lookout Landing was even there. The new Sheikah towers might have been in the works for a while but it's possible the fort was only built in a rush after the Upheaval happened and monsters started popping up everywhere again.

E : I mean, the castle is a mess. It's a half-collapsed ruin and moblins have been making GBS threads all over the place for years. I'd chill out in Hateno and steal Link's house instead too.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 26, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kassad posted:

^^ I mean, the castle is a mess. Half of it got blown up or collapsed.

I'm blaming hardware limitations.

But also it kind of makes sense that they would only be starting to really rebuild after a few years given how post-apocalyptic everything was in BotW. Hylian society was 3 small villages and a whole bunch of wandering scavengers. It sounds like by the start of TotK they'd focused on getting trade going and only recently started thinking about rebuilding the castle town.

It's also not very clear how long Lookout Landing was even there. The new Sheikah towers might have been in the works for a while but it's possible the fort was only built in a rush after the Upheaval happened and monsters started popping up everywhere again.

That's true - there is zero indication how long it's been since the Upheaval by the time you get back.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I honestly thought that was going to be a bigger deal in the game than it ended up being, because it seemed like at least a month had passed given how many Zelda sightings there had been.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's also very in character for this Zelda that educating children and creating an archeological research society would make the top of her list of things to do.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s kind of hard to tell because most of Lookout Landing looks like it could’ve been thrown together in 4-6 weeks, but the tower must’ve taken significantly longer than that…unless the tower was already under construction and they just decided to anchor their FOB around it

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
There was actually a thriving town built around the castle but when Ganondorf raised the castle it completely destroyed everything around it, and nobody ever took a picture or made a record of the town at the time. :shrug:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Raposa posted:

There was actually a thriving town built around the castle but when Ganondorf raised the castle it completely destroyed everything around it, and nobody ever took a picture or made a record of the town at the time. :shrug:

There was a severe lack of Purah Pads to take pictures with because Zelda had to go and take the only working one with her to King Rauru's court

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wondered about a lot of that stuff at the start of the game, but after enough interaction with the locals and their geospatial and cognitive prowess, not least of all the guy who fell into a head high pit 1 foot from a main highway who decided that meant all he could do was quietly die, it wasn't so surprising that nobody really remembered anything about that town.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
My faves are the group that had to be taught how to cook things. This is why I believe they hadn't started rebuilding the town yet: a good chunk of the population was in a state where they just ate random poo poo they just picked up off the ground.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The IQ distribution in Hyrule isn't standard with a few individuals capable of understanding ancient technology almost effortlessly and on the other end many people trying to eat monster guts and pinecones.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
In fairness to the latter, Link sets a bad example with his ability to digest anything.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Kassad posted:

In fairness to the latter, Link sets a bad example with his ability to digest anything.

Zelda awakened something in Link when she wanted him to lick that frog.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I stopped playing TotK back in like June because my Switch needed repairs which I finally got resolved. Anyways...

I felt like an idiot having forgotten the controls and was totally lost. I was thinking this is NOT an easy game to come back to. My biggest wtf am I doing moment was finding a mine and pulling a Zonai bomb off a rack of bombs and being like, "I don't need this metal ball thing for my rocket sled" and throwing it back at the rack of five other bombs. I did not make my rocket sled.

After wandering around doing random poo poo for several hours with no goal or purpose in mind it hit me - this is actually awesome and the point of the game. I stayed up playing until almost 11pm, which is past my bedtime on a week night!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kassad posted:

Ya boy just chowing down on molten rock like it's nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpvEfDofZgs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Beat the final boss. Definitely a good test of how well you know parry and dodge.

I played BotW so long ago I don't remember most of it anymore, but TotK is a worthy follow up. On to other things now

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol the cutscenes in AoC own so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTRtWOYja3U

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Beat the final boss. Definitely a good test of how well you know parry and dodge.

Or a good test of how many hearts you have / how much you’ve upgraded your armor. I haven’t parried a single attack in the entire game and the fight was pretty laughable in terms of difficulty.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RCarr posted:

Or a good test of how many hearts you have / how much you’ve upgraded your armor. I haven’t parried a single attack in the entire game and the fight was pretty laughable in terms of difficulty.

yeah I loving suck at parry/dodge but nothing some max level armor and a bunch of food can't fix :pseudo:

I love the last fight simply for the enormous health bar that goes all the way across the screen, that was such a good bit lol

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Docjowles posted:

yeah I loving suck at parry/dodge but nothing some max level armor and a bunch of food can't fix :pseudo:
:same:

I can't parry or dodge for poo poo either for reasons I do not understand.
I think I just don't think I know how to properly do it, I was good at it in BotW though which seems weird.

I'm just trying to stockpile hearts and upgrade armor fully.
I don't really have anything left to do I don't think.

I've done 17 Main Quests, 34 Side Adventures, 34 Side Quests, and 5 Shrine Quests.

What's the best armor to go into the final battle with?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

eightysixed posted:

:same:

I can't parry or dodge for poo poo either for reasons I do not understand.
I think I just don't think I know how to properly do it, I was good at it in BotW though which seems weird.

I'm just trying to stockpile hearts and upgrade armor fully.
I don't really have anything left to do I don't think.

I've done 17 Main Quests, 34 Side Adventures, 34 Side Quests, and 5 Shrine Quests.

Anything that’s upgraded at least twice should be more than enough.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Docjowles posted:

I love the last fight simply for the enormous health bar that goes all the way across the screen, that was such a good bit lol

Yeah I'm not very good at either so it always amazes me when I watch videos of masters doing their thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_n52JJpwe8

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

eightysixed posted:

Tbh I just wore the fully upgraded Hylian armor you buy in Lookout Landing for most of the game including the final battle, it's cheap and easy. If you have something with even higher defense numbers, cool. Eat some attack up food and have a stock pile of food that restores health + hearts lost to gloom

Also make sure to drop a travel medallion before jumping down to the final battle area so if you decide you didn't bring enough food or whatever you can easily leave and come back. It should be pretty obvious when you've reached that point.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

eightysixed posted:

Tingle's set, of course. But if you just want the best stats, then it's Diamond Circlet + Champion's Leathers + Zonaite Shin Guards (or any other 28 armor pants), and then you can add a level 2 or 3 attack buff on top if you want. Attack buffs don't scale beyond 3 levels, so Diamond Circlet and a level 2 food buff gets you to max attack power.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Tbh I just wore the fully upgraded Hylian armor you buy in Lookout Landing for most of the game including the final battle, it's cheap and easy. If you have something with even higher defense numbers, cool. Eat some attack up food and have a stock pile of food that restores health + hearts lost to gloom

Also make sure to drop a travel medallion before jumping down to the final battle area so if you decide you didn't bring enough food or whatever you can easily leave and come back. It should be pretty obvious when you've reached that point.

Hylian set dyed black has been my go-to since BoTW because i love how it looks. It's a nice touch that in ToTK if you complete a certain mission you can put the hood down.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I used the frog suit to keep myself wet for as long as possible.

But in the game, I wore

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hylian set dyed black has been my go-to since BoTW because i love how it looks. It's a nice touch that in ToTK if you complete a certain mission you can put the hood down.

Yeah, I did that mission :hfive:

Docjowles posted:

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Tingle's set, of course. But if you just want the best stats, then it's Diamond Circlet + Champion's Leathers + Zonaite Shin Guards (or any other 28 armor pants), and then you can add a level 2 or 3 attack buff on top if you want. Attack buffs don't scale beyond 3 levels, so Diamond Circlet and a level 2 food buff gets you to max attack power.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I'm not very good at either so it always amazes me when I watch videos of masters doing their thing.

Not quite the same thing, but I'm reminded of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1or3YILu28M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wxU3z9VxOY

You don't have to watch them in order, but it's better if you do.