Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ranni's quest is also relatively straightforward in that you visit a bunch of static pieces in a row and it's hard to lock yourself out of it permanently, compared to say, playing whack-a-mole with Goldmask over the entire world with no journal or map indicators as to where he is moving.

Or the Dung Eater ending which, when I looked it up, turned out I had already missed some obscure thing and locked myself out of it, so oh well great ok then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Does anyone enjoy the dungeons with those fuckin little imp dorks

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

snoremac posted:

Does anyone enjoy the dungeons with those fuckin little imp dorks

Mostly no, but they do get much more creative as you go on.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I like them but I enjoy svenskjävlar so it may solely be that I crave punishment.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 26, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

I get why people find them monotonous but there's nothing wrong with handing your map designer a tileset and telling them to make as many gimmick areas as they can think of with it, it's just out of fashion (as is the extremely old school 'capricious tabletop game DM' style of their design). the downsides are worth it for things like the fake recursive one under leyendell

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One gaslight dungeon is fine but there's enough of them in the back half that they started to wear out their welcome a bit for me. The Altus Plateau one outside Leyndell did make me feel like a genius when I realised what was happening though

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The ones with incredibly trollish layouts in the late game are kindof brilliant. But yeah there's a lot which aren't really meaningfully differentiated in any way - I wish there were at least more enemy and theme variation for them.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I've always thought that replicating the way Grace works, just with a different colour, could be a way to guide players through quest lines.

So you could have, say, a red marker on your map that tracks each interaction and touch point with a quest line, pointing to a vague indication of the general direction of your next interaction - in the same way that Grace directs you towards the main questline. In the game world, you could have the same glowing/swirling visual effect as Sites of Grace to indicate when you've found the next quest progression, just in red (or whatever that quests colour is).

I think that would offer some quest guidance while also remaining relatively vague and keeping to the established way the games map and world works.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think if NPCs just consistently said or implied what they'd be up to next that would solve most of the problem. The only time it's really an egregious problem is when there's no indication of how the next step proceeds

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I would also say this is something that hit a breaking point in ER specifically. DS1 is something like a comparatively brisk 30~ hour game if you're not completely terrible at it, meanwhile Elden Ring is 100+ hours on average. Granted, you're not necessarily expected to remember stuff from hour 2 all the way up at hour 94, but there are still some pretty big gaps in how certain quest lines play out and there's just a LOT of stuff in the game.

I also always feel like, beyond being hilariously wrong on its face, it's a failure of imagination when people insist that From would never or could never do <x> because it would ruin the game somehow. People say From's whole appeal is being weird and obtuse about everything, so okay let me see their weird and obtuse version of a quest log.
I'd also say that while Dark Souls does have some clever interconnectedness you can often expect that the vast majority of casual playthroughs will pass through chokepoints X, Y and Z in that order, so if you have an NPC quest moving between those locations most of your players will at least encounter them and have a chance to do their questline as the game goes on. Elden Ring on the other hand is a truly open world - you can do challenges in almost any order you want, and other than kindof pushing you towards Stormveil at the start the game barely even suggests an "intended order" until you get to the post-Morgott stuff. That's cool, but it means that if your NPC is just appearing at various points there's no guarantee the player will visit them in that order, or indeed at all since the map is also far wider and they could take a different route between the major obvious objectives on the map.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the first time I did str/fth I sort of built it around getting enough faith to do a bunch of incants I thought were cool and then scaling up str in the late game to get bigger and bigger bonks but it turns out if you do it the other way around you can use that big halberdy thing the tree sentinel at the start of the game has and it absolutely rips up limgrave

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I liked the dungeons, because Elden Ring can be very stressful, and stumbling upon one of these were a welcome break from the well everything into a more simpler time.

Then they pull some real rear end in a top hat designs out and I remember this is the real world. My favorite were standing on the falling axe blade when it ascends to reach a platform oh and also archers everywhere. Thanks!

My least favourite were, during the already endlessly lovely and awful sewers trip, the one with like four layered sections looping into a confusing forever-nightmare with each one being assholier than the last and a little god drat switch somewhere in there that did... something... somewhere.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I did the Mountaintops one whilst high and I thought I was actually going insane

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The latter chunk of dungeons all being gaslight dungeons is so egregious I legit loved them for their audacity

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I think the only dungeons I didn't like were ones that used Watchdogs as normal enemies. Too much health for that.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I love the dungeons since they're part of the variety needed to keep ER open world design from sucking. They tend to be short and sweet with punch and surprise, I have to laugh after I get mad when I user error my way into the very specific rear end in a top hat traps the imp set ups do and so on.

I always appreciate things like the gaslight dungeons for rewarding players with divine map awareness(me) and/or using every piece of your kit(glowstones, not me, I'm not that smart.) Even with the active gaslighting my brain is constructing the dungeon in full in my imagination and I'm thinking "hey, I sweep this place clean like a roomba with a giant hammer and shield, you're not tricking me when I can see loot drops left unlooted!"

It is the kind of indepth dungeon design where I have to triple check my steps tho or I will get lost. Good stuff.

I also love the subtle design of things like the axe blade and archers. The question is begged: how do I get up there and kill those jerks!?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Doomykins posted:

I love the dungeons since they're part of the variety needed to keep ER open world design from sucking. They tend to be short and sweet with punch and surprise, I have to laugh after I get mad when I user error my way into the very specific rear end in a top hat traps the imp set ups do and so on.

I always appreciate things like the gaslight dungeons for rewarding players with divine map awareness(me) and/or using every piece of your kit(glowstones, not me, I'm not that smart.) Even with the active gaslighting my brain is constructing the dungeon in full in my imagination and I'm thinking "hey, I sweep this place clean like a roomba with a giant hammer and shield, you're not tricking me when I can see loot drops left unlooted!"

I love the dungeons because they are basically Chalices from Bloodborne and I was an avid Chalice runner.

I'm not easily directionally-bamboozled either, but that one....somewhere (sorry, it's been like a year+ since I played ER) that had like a copy of itself, and it kept switching you between copies. That one took me a bit to figure out. "what? I KNOW I cleared this room!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chalices were bad and the imp dungeons/catacombs were the weakest part of Elden Ring (outside of the few cool gimmick ones) and I'm most excited about the comments that the non-legacy dungeons are more intertwined with the "overworld" in the DLC.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Doomykins posted:

"hey, I sweep this place clean like a roomba with a giant hammer and shield, you're not tricking me when I can see loot drops left unlooted!"

Thinking about it, that's a rare case of trolling that From hasn't yet resorted to: putting purely cosmetic and completely unreachable yet visible chests in dungeons (with partially visible door/corridor behind) just to prey on our missed-loot anxiousness.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I've been rolling around and exploring Leyndell for the past five hours of the game and I still haven't found an official capital-B Boss. I've killed countless knights, doot-dooters, iron maiden scythe guys, and one insane eldritch abomination - but no bosses yet. I was able to successfully murder people for the Volcano Manor, I found where the Roundtable hold got it's inspiration, and climbed both an enormous tree root as well as a decaying dragon. And yet, no boss. I'm starting to wonder if the real boss was the friends we made along the way.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Ranni not accepting Celestial Dew is funny to me though, because it’s like you can forgive murder, treachery, genocide, infidelity, and destruction of the Order…

But the line in drawn at sex doll.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I enjoyed all of the dungeons but not the fact that an entire class of them only gave out spirit ashes as rewards.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Lucas Archer posted:

I've been rolling around and exploring Leyndell for the past five hours of the game and I still haven't found an official capital-B Boss. I've killed countless knights, doot-dooters, iron maiden scythe guys, and one insane eldritch abomination - but no bosses yet. I was able to successfully murder people for the Volcano Manor, I found where the Roundtable hold got it's inspiration, and climbed both an enormous tree root as well as a decaying dragon. And yet, no boss. I'm starting to wonder if the real boss was the friends we made along the way.

Have you killed the diseased tree guardian thing that has a normal health bar yet?

I think I did the same loop my first time you'll find a big boy to smash eventually.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Have you killed the diseased tree guardian thing that has a normal health bar yet?

I think I did the same loop my first time you'll find a big boy to smash eventually.

Do you mean the thing that rips itself out of the ground, is huge, spits lightning, eats my face, and drops a golden seed when killed? If so, yes. If not, no.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
You will only find the real bosses at the top. The tip top even. You will even get to a nice bedroom where people gently caress on a lavish round bed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dialhforhero posted:

Ranni not accepting Celestial Dew is funny to me though, because it’s like you can forgive murder, treachery, genocide, infidelity, and destruction of the Order…

Based on the description and lore theories, it might be used on a ritual to cosmically bend reality to a time before you pissed off whoever is mad at you. That you used the Amber Drought might have had something to do with it.

dialhforhero posted:

You will only find the real bosses at the top. The tip top even. You will even get to a nice bedroom where people gently caress on a lavish round bed.

I can't envision it bring very pleasurable what with it being made of stone and all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Ranni is allowed to be mad at someone who tried to turn her into a sex doll tbh

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
As someone who likes ng cycles its fun to see the catacombs progress in complexity from area to area.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lucas Archer posted:

The boss is up that dragon wing and tree root if I'm remembering right.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

No Dignity posted:

I think Ranni is allowed to be mad at someone who tried to turn her into a sex doll tbh

Yeah. That's pretty hosed up.

Also I only just discovered that Seluvius has a bedroom in his lab with a doll of Sellen... :barf:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7324778143066098990

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

dialhforhero posted:

Celestial Dew does work for this, unless it's been patched out in the last year.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Started up a new save on PC hoping to get it ready for the expansion in between playing LAD, Dragon's Dogma and stuff. I think last time I played was a bit before the coliseum dropped? What big balance changes have I missed? I rolled a straight forward sword and shield character.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I like the dungeons, but hate the imps.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Game is 99% perfect IMO. Only critique has ever been that my character should hold their weapons cooler.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My only real change would be tossing out the upgrade materials, let me find some random new weapon and immediately start swinging it around without having to invest into it beyond swapping ashes of war and scaling.

Would make the gameplay more evenly balanced out too if everyone was using the same level of weapons everywhere they went.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I do like that you can kind of adjust the game's difficulty via weapon upgrades - if you're having a tough time on a boss, you can do some hunting and possible pump your weapon more. To that end, I don't think "a more evenly balanced game" would be a good thing, given I think it's interesting to be able to risk pushing into harder areas for bigger rewards to go stomp over earlier ones.

That said, I do think there's a problem of "got a cool new weapon you wanna play with, but now need to do chores to get it caught up" Not to mention with how upgrades and the shop items are balanced, if you hit a wall with one weapon, you might not actually have access to enough upgrade mats to full catch up a weapon.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I like the dungeons, but hate the imps.

I hate the imps, not just because they are small and fast, but because "imp around a corner" and its spicier flavor "imp also on the ceiling" gets old and predictable fast.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think there should be an option to respec weapon upgrades for a fee just like theres one for stats.

That way you cant have a full set of maxed out weapons immediately but you can still change up your playstyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No Dignity posted:

I did the Mountaintops one whilst high and I thought I was actually going insane
I wasn't high, but the one where you keep dropping down from the balcony into that water with the crypt in the middle was just balls-out trippy. I felt like at any moment a narrator was about to start calling me Stanley.