Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Deakul posted:

There hasn't been a single zombie game with good story telling that isn't TWD Season 1.

do mushroom zombies count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

The Typing of the Dead: Overkill

It's true

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Well, that finishes up Dying Light 2 free weekend.

PROS-
First-person melee and parkour is very fun, can't beat dropkicking zombies
While it is annoying to start off as very weak, I enjoyed the sense of progression and unlocking new skills and seeing how they opened up new routes and strategies
Surprised at the depth of some of the sidequests in terms of content and choices: felt like a lot of them were practically main quests, instead of the expected boring filler
Lots of choices in the main quest which can kill off characters, influence quests, and so on adds replayability and intrigue
Factions are interesting in that they are both grey, with the rebels/survivors not being the easy 'good guys' as they typically are
Story and characters are so dumb it can be rather amusing

CONS-
Yet another overloaded and unfocused open-world game to add to the pile, filled with crafting/scavenging and leveled loot with lots of dumb affixes and a map filled with too many activities to check off
Story and characters are VERY dumb
Can be annoying how weak you start off
Some clunkiness to the controls that makes certain things a bit unintuitive and awkward
Combat feels a bit shallow at times: was excited at first with the parries and staggers for cool parkour moves but it just turns tiresome and spongy at times
It still feels like the rebels/survivors are supposed to be the 'good guys' despite them seeming so evil, story might be trying too hard to trick you with so many dumb twists
Having rewards tied to factions kind of ruins the moral decision implications since you can just focus on whether you want a crossbow or trampolines

I had some good fun laughing at the story and parkouring around dropkicking zombies, but not sure if it did enough to make me buy it. Not bad, but not great either: I think it can a perfectly good time, but unsure if its a recommendation to not miss it. It was kind of like eating a bag of chips: tasty at first, but started to feel kind of bad as I kept eating too much: maybe that's partly my fault for playing on hard and gorging on it alone for the weekend?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 26, 2024

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Dying Light is meh and has been ever since they massively nerfed the player character in 1 in order to tack on a shitload of extra levels/ grind to character progression and pass it off as exciting new content. A terrible design decision that carried into the sequel.
I will die on this hill. And then I'll come back as a zombie and you'll have to kick me onto some spikes or stomp my head because all other forms of combat are unsatisfying.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

do mushroom zombies count

absolutely not

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Deakul posted:

There hasn't been a single zombie game with good story telling that isn't TWD Season 1.

The ending of that game hosed me up so hard I’ve never been able to bring myself to play season 2. I played 400 days or whatever it was called, but I cannot go back to the Clem storyline.

Can’t think of another game that’s done that. None of the other Telltale IPs have really come close.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Lest we forget

https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/status/1479860453140434945

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think i gotta die on the hill of dl2 being an actual good game now. Weighty, gory melee, mighty booting folks into improbably frequent spike posts like im in dark messiah, how good the parkour feels when you're in the flow, the bizarre, inhuman dialogue and characters... it's okay, it's alright. I've won the struggle over myself. I love Aiden Babaiden

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Deakul posted:

dead rising 1

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I loved Days Gone tbh, it's pure drama B-movie stuff but it's so earnest about it that I can't help but love it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Days Gone is one of the greatest 6/10 video games and I cherish it dearly. The challenge mode stuff, tho, is not very good imo, but I was not in it for that so I guess that's fine.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I love Sam Witwer but his character spent so much time moaning when driving around on his bike that about a quarter of the way through the game I just hated him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Left 4 Dead 1? Most of the storytelling is environmental.

Uh...Plants vs. Zombies?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I assume every single reply is just a link to this?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 26, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I assume every singly reply is just a link to this?

Lmao.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr.Acula posted:

dead rising 1

Well he's ain't my boy but the brother is heavy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Uh...Plants vs. Zombies?

:hmmyes: gwabby wobbo

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

FrickenMoron posted:

I loved Days Gone tbh, it's pure drama B-movie stuff but it's so earnest about it that I can't help but love it.

Seconding this. The presentation, and the first hour of the game don't do it justice.

Looking at trailers for the game, I was wholly uninterested. Looked like a typical third person shooter.

Eventually I got the game through a bundle or wherever and decided to try it because I was in the mood to kill zombies.

The first hour was pretty much what I expected. Get on your bike and follow your buddy here and there to scavenge, shooting the zombies as you go.

But then the first plot point hit, and while it wasn't anything novel, the character writing was pretty good, with believable dialogue and delivery.

The gameplay isn't revolutionary, but it is a lot of fun riding around, doing the story quests, and killing zombies. Especially when you are strong enough, or stupid enough to try and take on hordes.

It's a plucky game that is solidly 7/10.

E: fixing phone autocorrect

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 26, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Days Gone has a ton of heart and you can absolutely feel it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Days Gone does nothing new but it just executes old concepts incredibly well. I liked managing fuel on the bike, where I would do as much as I could to maximize coasting and squeeze more range out of the tank. Exploring and scavenging felt good too, it never felt like tedious busywork like it does in a lot of games.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Days Gone just felt like it had way too much game for its own good. I played it for some 8 hours and got to the point where I kinda felt like I'd seen all it had to offer gameplay-wise (aside from some largely incremental equipment upgrades), but when I looked into the completion tracker thingy it turned out I was IIRC somewhere in the 10s of % completed. Even if I were to just mainline the primary story from there on out, that just felt like too much stuff for the relatively basic gameplay to support.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Left 4 Dead 1? Most of the storytelling is environmental.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1762146360466575564?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Perestroika posted:

Days Gone just felt like it had way too much game for its own good. I played it for some 8 hours and got to the point where I kinda felt like I'd seen all it had to offer gameplay-wise (aside from some largely incremental equipment upgrades), but when I looked into the completion tracker thingy it turned out I was IIRC somewhere in the 10s of % completed. Even if I were to just mainline the primary story from there on out, that just felt like too much stuff for the relatively basic gameplay to support.

For Days Gone, there is a point it does kinda stall out like that, and doesn't really pick up until you are taking on hordes. A few are just exercises in running backwards while tossing molotovs, the ones in a town are incredibly fun.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Days Gone does nothing new but it just executes old concepts incredibly well. I liked managing fuel on the bike, where I would do as much as I could to maximize coasting and squeeze more range out of the tank. Exploring and scavenging felt good too, it never felt like tedious busywork like it does in a lot of games.

I think the way the bike was done and hordes in general were unique

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Buy Robocop if you're able to. This game is extremely good. Really want this developer to make a Judge Dredd game next.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

For Days Gone, there is a point it does kinda stall out like that, and doesn't really pick up until you are taking on hordes. A few are just exercises in running backwards while tossing molotovs, the ones in a town are incredibly fun.

The horde clearing thing is another extremely weird thing about Days Gone because the game doesn’t put any of them on your map (although some of them are pretty obvious) until the tail end of the second zone, which is many many hours into the game. And by that point you’re way overpowered for at least 50% of them. It was featured in the very first gameplay trailer and it’s barely there.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

My friends and I still say, "Did you hit them with your thesaurus?" to each other.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Hwurmp posted:

The Typing of the Dead: Overkill

They're mutants!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I loved the poo poo out of Days Gone. I expected to meh out of it after after 5 or 6 hours like I do most open world games but I couldn't put it down. Cruising on the bike, chilling through beautiful Oregon, the story beats, the whacko bad guys that were so fun to finally kill. Sprinting to your bike with a horde on your tail was an adrenaline rush I don't get from many games these days.

Deacon's whiny bitch rear end attitude was my only big complaint.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Buy Robocop if you're able to. This game is extremely good. Really want this developer to make a Judge Dredd game next.

$20 is an insanely reasonable cost for it unless you just hate Robocop or dislike the mild copraganda involved with it.

Sloppy posted:

Excuse me, Deacon is a real manly man who was just too cool for the woke video game reviewers.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

If this were true is there anyone that sees this and thinks yes that sounds like what I need in my life.

Bloated endless games are the worst

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Resdfru posted:

If this were true is there anyone that sees this and thinks yes that sounds like what I need in my life.

*looks at my accumulated 850 hours across the Total Warhammer games

y-yeah, for sure

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Sloppy posted:

I loved the poo poo out of Days Gone. I expected to meh out of it after after 5 or 6 hours like I do most open world games but I couldn't put it down. Cruising on the bike, chilling through beautiful Oregon, the story beats, the whacko bad guys that were so fun to finally kill. Sprinting to your bike with a horde on your tail was an adrenaline rush I don't get from many games these days.

I just really liked when you'd have a think where he'd be muttering to himself, you get on a bike and he's suddenly yelling.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Mordja posted:

y-yeah, for sure

Those are strategy games aren't they? I don't think they can be categorized as bloated endless but maybe I should clarify that I mean bloated endless open world games where you're just finding a million stupid things to pad out the time. If it was 500 hours of story I'd say it's probably for me but I can see why it would be for someone else.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Does a ghost game count as a tangential zombie game? Because I've been really enjoying Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Does a ghost game count as a tangential zombie game? Because I've been really enjoying Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden so far.

I mean the ghosts possess corpses which become zombie so sure.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mordja posted:

y-yeah, for sure

Pfft. Babby numbers. Come back when you have 2,650 hours in Vermintide 2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Resdfru posted:

Some people really love those games, they buy that one single game and then its all they play for months and months at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I said come in! posted:

Some people really love those games, they buy that one single game and then its all they play for months and months at a time.

I know two people like this. They're smarter than we are.