Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arcanum Unbounded also includes illustrations of the Systems (and each of the short stories) so if you can take a gander at those they may help a bit too.

"The Emperor's Soul" is probably my favorite short story in it. Probably my favorite Cosmere story overall that I've read tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Arcanum Unbounded also includes illustrations of the Systems (and each of the short stories) so if you can take a gander at those they may help a bit too.

"The Emperor's Soul" is probably my favorite short story in it. Probably my favorite Cosmere story overall that I've read tbh.

Yeah, I've already knocked out Emperor's Soul and Secret History. Unfortunately, the Audible audiobook doesn't have those illustrations. I've seen some books with pdfs attached in the audible app, but that one doesn't seem to have it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh, if you've not read the second era of Mistborn you should skip Allomancer Jak for now IIRC.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, if you've not read the second era of Mistborn you should skip Allomancer Jak for now IIRC.

I'm already caught up on that. Only Cosmere things I have left currently are Stormlight 3/4 and an assortment of short stories/novellas.

This is my progress:

quote:

CURRENT SANDERSON RANKINGS -

The Final Empire
The Hero of Ages
Words of Radiance
The Lost Metal
Shadows of Self
Warbreaker
Mistborn - Secret History
The Bands of Mourning
The Way of Kings
The Alloy of Law
The Emperor’s Soul
The Well of Ascension
----------The Line of Recommendation----------
Elantris
Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania
The Eleventh Metal
The Hope of Elantris

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Brando’s pretty good about putting interior art for his books on his website.
The Arcanum Unbounded stuff, for example is at https://www.brandonsanderson.com/collections-cosmere/#ARCANUMUNBOUNDED

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Taffer posted:

He already did that, to operate an oath gate in Oathbringer

Yeah... that's not what I mean though. That wasn't really at a blade and it was against the stormfathers wishes. I'm talking the stormfather going full on "I've made a decision to fully honor the oaths and things are dire enough I am willing to do it." I feel it's on the cards. The scenario in oathbringer just shows that it is possible for him to be a sword... that's all.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Everyone can just skip Allomancer Jak, forever

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

pik_d posted:

Words of Brandon spoilers for general Stormlight background stuff There are several peoples across Roshar who have listener blood in them, the Horneaters and Herdazians at least. So there was some interbreeding, whether or not it was consensual I have no clue.

SA speculation spoilers: That could have been "ordinary" interbreeding, but when you have people who can redesign other people's bodies there's other ways that the two peoples might have intermingled over however long this cyclical conflict has been going on. I am also very suspicious that at least one of the Unmade might be able to create a cross-bred human/listener, and possibly more than one. Ba-Ado-Mishram appears to have expressed Connection, and her imprisonment seems to have disrupted Connection across the entire planet, so perhaps she was involved.

I missed my chance to make first-read posts, but before I forget some of my initial thoughts and reactions I want to make a few summary posts here. This first one covers Mistborn era 1, so spoilers for that:

Overall, I really enjoyed these books, and thought many of the twists/mysteries were fairly done. I did get upset about the Book 2 twist that Ruin can change text written on any non-metal: there's almost no indication that this is possible until the twist becomes known, and there's no way to intuit that a being called "Ruin" would be able to change words instead of simply making them unreadable. Other twists (like the 16% misting twist in Book 3) were much harder to pick up on if you didn't have broader Cosmere knowledge, because knowing "16" is important is tougher without that. Otherwise, I felt like Sanderson played things pretty fair in Mistborn 1.

In a few places, I had amusingly wrong theories. I did figure out who the Lord Ruler was ahead of the reveal, though not by much, and thus guessed what Kelsier's metal would do and why it would help. My best wrong theory concerned the Lord Ruler's missing atium supplies, which I worked out early in Book 2 when they were first mentioned and clung to through most of Book 3: I reasoned as follows. The mist was clearly representative of or associated with the threat that the Hero was supposed to overcome. Mistwraiths, and (I presumed) the kandra, are associated with the mist. The kandra work in exchange for atium. And the Lord Ruler states outright that the threat will end everything now that he's died. So my logical conclusion was that the Lord Ruler, instead of overcoming the unknown threat, had bribed it with atium, and was paying it off with that supposedly huge atium reserve. That meant not only that our heroes would never find the reserve, but that Kelsier had screwed them over by destroying all the forming crystals of atium, making it impossible to bribe the problem to go away again.

I am proud that once the atium reserve was revealed, burning it all off was the solution I predicted.

I had no idea about the hemalurgy spikes until the end of Book 2, though I did figure out the earring and Ruin's other tricks deploying spikes in Book 3. (I didn't connect the earring to blocking Preservation's powers from Vin, though.) That one did depend on making assumptions about hemalurgy, which we still didn't understand very well even at the end of Book 3.

I did catch on that Ruin controlled the koloss early in Book 3. I did also predict Spook's storyline in Book 3 almost beat for beat after he got spiked. OTOH, I missed the importance of Marsh intercepting the messenger, though.

Reading about anime influence ITT has helped me come to terms with "Vin is in her early 20s." I would have accepted late 20s with a really limited set of experiences.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Narsham posted:

SA speculation spoilers: That could have been "ordinary" interbreeding, but when you have people who can redesign other people's bodies there's other ways that the two peoples might have intermingled over however long this cyclical conflict has been going on. I am also very suspicious that at least one of the Unmade might be able to create a cross-bred human/listener, and possibly more than one. Ba-Ado-Mishram appears to have expressed Connection, and her imprisonment seems to have disrupted Connection across the entire planet, so perhaps she was involved.
I really think everyone's making it more complicated than it needs to be. RoW chapter 77: "“You said coming here would intimidate your people. Is that happening? Because from what I’ve seen, they seem to be enjoying themselves! Planning to feast and laugh, maybe get into storming bed with the humans!”

Does Ulim sound like that's at all a new concept to him? When Singers and humans hang out peacably together, sometimes they get into bed with each other.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think its implied that (Can't remember, RoW probably) when humans first set up camp in Shin 7000 years ago there was initially friendly relations - and I would assume that, humans being humans, all the people got their freak on in that era, resulting in the trace genetics in the bloodlines now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Narsham posted:

I missed my chance to make first-read posts, but before I forget some of my initial thoughts and reactions I want to make a few summary posts here. This first one covers Mistborn era 1, so spoilers for that:

Overall, I really enjoyed these books, and thought many of the twists/mysteries were fairly done. I did get upset about the Book 2 twist that Ruin can change text written on any non-metal: there's almost no indication that this is possible until the twist becomes known, and there's no way to intuit that a being called "Ruin" would be able to change words instead of simply making them unreadable.

The main clue there, comparing the versions of the text in the epigraphs against the versions in the rest of the book was a neat hint, but in a few regions overzealous publisher proofreaders actually made them consistent

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 23, 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

The main clue there, comparing the versions of the text in the epigraphs against the versions in the rest of the book was a neat hint, but in a few regions overzealous publisher proofreaders actually made them consistent

I don't know why your comment is properly spoilered when I'm quoting it without making any changes, but your original post is not. Very strange.

Narsham posted:

:word:

Mistborn Era 1 spoilers: The very first sentence of the epigraphs is Kwaan saying that anything not written in steel cannot be trusted. That's your clue, although I admit Brandon obviously didn't want us to pick up on it right away.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
WoR - Interlude 3

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/jo5cwq/reshi_isles_fan_art_the_taina/

When I read about a giant crab the size of the island, I had to find a fan-art of it. This was good. Wow.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If I lived on Roshar, I would want to live on the Reshi isles. Either that or Purelake. But probably Reshi.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Two more pieces of SA speculation that bubbled up out of my head while reading the December 23 part of the thread. SA spoilers only:
We know Kaladin’s parents. We know little about Hesina’s family save that they were high-ranking. What if she’s related to Taravangian? That would make Kaladin related to Taravangian, and might restrict Odium’s ability to mess with him in the future.

Now the big one. We know something of the Recreance and that Honor was killed subsequent to it. What if the thing Honor did that made him vulnerable is the thing that caused the Recreance. Here’s what I think happened: Odium was temporarily out of the picture, and Ba-Ado-Mishram approached Melishi with a peace offering, willing to betray Odium to protect the singers. Unfortunately, Melishi already had a plan to imprison Ba-Ado-Mishram. I think both he and Honor agreed that “peace” with the singers alive meant their permanent neutralization via slaveform, and that together they misled Ba-Ad-Mishram to imprison her while justifying their actions as holding up their end of the bargain.

When word got out, all the Radiants (except those in the “letter of the law” order) forcibly resigned. Melishi may have repented, or may have been killed (the Sibling would, as we know, have been unharmed by that).

That event would have become known to the Fused (who likely lived through multiple peace attempts) and would explain why most seem so set against the hope of peace, and it would have an ironic echo in the attempts of the listeners to make peace in the more recent past.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 33

So, will we brush over that Dalinar Kholin caught a shardblade with his bare hands? We are just going to gloss over that. WTF. Dalinar is way more powerful than I am reading, and I can't wait to see what he can do. As for Kaladin, time to get your poo poo together because Szeth may come back.

Prediction:

All Spren - regardless of whether they are fragments of Gods like Syl or entire other beings from other realms like Pattern - are connected. Pattern knew Szeth was near.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Narsham posted:

Two more pieces of SA speculation that bubbled up out of my head while reading the December 23 part of the thread. SA spoilers only:
We know Kaladin’s parents. We know little about Hesina’s family save that they were high-ranking. What if she’s related to Taravangian? That would make Kaladin related to Taravangian, and might restrict Odium’s ability to mess with him in the future.

That would be such a massive bummer for Kaladin that it almost seems likely.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

A Sneaker Broker posted:

WoR - Chapter 33

No spoilers beyond Dalinar is awesome.

Oathbringer is his book.

Also I am just realizing I am older than Dalinar factoring in Rosharan years.

TGG fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 26, 2024

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Is there anywhere with a good timeline of events from humans coming from Ashyn to Roshar up to the assassination of Gavilar

I get that a lot will be revealed in books 5 -10 but that whole chunk of time is a black box to me of what happened when in relation to other events.

For example,

did Honor die before or after Ba-Ado-Mishram was contained? What happened between the 2500 years of Aharietiam and the recreance? Was Vorinism founded before or after the death of Honor?

So much has happened in the past but it feels like there is no clear demarcations but maybe that’s just another secret yet to unfold. But it feels like other fans seem to speak with confidence about when things happened before or after a certain event that I don’t see to comprehend how that can be so certain.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

WoR - Chapter 33

So, will we brush over that Dalinar Kholin caught a shardblade with his bare hands? We are just going to gloss over that. WTF.

It does come up again, a couple of times

TGG posted:

No spoilers beyond Dalinar is awesome.

Oathbringer is his book.

Also I am just realizing I am older than Dalinar factoring in Rosharan years.

I just recently in this very thread learned that Rosharan ages are equivalent to human ages. Longer years, shorter days. So unless you're pushing 60, then no.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 34

And now Shallan somehow has a shardblade. Okay. What the actual gently caress is happening.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

WoR - Chapter 34

And now Shallan somehow has a shardblade. Okay. What the actual gently caress is happening.

:dukedog:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A Sneaker Broker posted:

WoR - Chapter 34

I'm curious. what did you think of Tyn? Even in my first read of the books where I was kinda meh about Shallan, her trip to the Shattered Plains was great, great stuff. I loved every second of it. And for such a minor character, Tyn left a strong impression on me. She and Shallan had a wonderful dynamic.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Is there anywhere with a good timeline of events from humans coming from Ashyn to Roshar up to the assassination of Gavilar

I get that a lot will be revealed in books 5 -10 but that whole chunk of time is a black box to me of what happened when in relation to other events.

For example,

did Honor die before or after Ba-Ado-Mishram was contained? What happened between the 2500 years of Aharietiam and the recreance? Was Vorinism founded before or after the death of Honor?

So much has happened in the past but it feels like there is no clear demarcations but maybe that’s just another secret yet to unfold. But it feels like other fans seem to speak with confidence about when things happened before or after a certain event that I don’t see to comprehend how that can be so certain.

At least one of your questions is answered in Oathbringer, outside of that there is a decent timeline (at least for order of events) on the coppermind I believe, from WoBs and books both.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm curious. what did you think of Tyn? Even in my first read of the books where I was kinda meh about Shallan, her trip to the Shattered Plains was great, great stuff. I loved every second of it. And for such a minor character, Tyn left a strong impression on me. She and Shallan had a wonderful dynamic.

I honestly thought she was gonna end up being a main character. She was gonna help Shallan evolve and not be so innocent. Tho, it was kinda wild to read just 5 lines and immediately think, “She just went from a ‘friend’ to enemy #1 just like that.”

Also, I know it’s early, but Shallan seems so overpowered. Between being able to Lightweave, visit Shadesmar, Pattern, and her Shardblade, she makes Kaladin look tiny.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Edit: I was mistaken about when something happens in Stormlight.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 26, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The interactive timeline is pretty vague on the spoilers, but spoilers none the less

https://roshar.17thshard.com/#/en-US

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

voiceless anal fricative posted:

It does come up again, a couple of times

I just recently in this very thread learned that Rosharan ages are equivalent to human ages. Longer years, shorter days. So unless you're pushing 60, then no.

Stop making me feel that old :(

I am getting rather ancient I guess.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

WoR - Chapter 34

And now Shallan somehow has a shardblade.
Okay. What the actual gently caress is happening.
you ain't seen nothin' yet.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

you ain't seen nothin' yet.

:catstare:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Sneaker Broker posted:

WoR - Chapter 34

strap the gently caress in, you're gonna need more red yarn

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Potato Salad posted:

strap the gently caress in, you're gonna need more red yarn

So I just read WoR - Interlude 4 right before Part 3 begins and....

Here comes the Heralds and overpowered forms of warfare. The Almighty is now actually getting active too.

I buckled my seatbelt. It's not enough. I'm going full-blown racing gear and strapping in IN.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I buckled my seatbelt. It's not enough. I'm going full-blown racing gear and strapping in IN.
And what you need to understand is that this particular rocket is still on the pad and being fueled. You haven't even experienced ignition yet.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I've finally started Edgedancer. Lift is cool.

Thought it does feel like she's kinda "Vin if she was a golden retriever"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Not inaccurate

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ok, what the heck

WoR - Chapter 42

And now SHALLAN CAN SHAPESHIFT HER APPEARANCE?!? WHY IS SHE SO OVERPOWERED?!?!?!!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Ok, what the heck

WoR - Chapter 42

And now SHALLAN CAN SHAPESHIFT HER APPEARANCE?!? WHY IS SHE SO OVERPOWERED?!?!?!!

A clarification if you want it (because it says in the chapter), she is using lightweaving to change her appearance. She is pretty OP though, and you're still only in book 2.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

A clarification if you want it (because it says in the chapter), she is using lightweaving to change her appearance. She is pretty OP though, and you're still only in book 2.

Yeah I got that part. It’s just crazy how quickly it went from oh she’s glowing and her clothes are radiating and fixing themselves and she appears much more grand than she actually is to

lol, actually whatever she draws, she can turn herself into. A completely different person or a wall. Doesn’t matter.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Yeah I got that part. It’s just crazy how quickly it went from oh she’s glowing and her clothes are radiating and fixing themselves and she appears much more grand than she actually is to

lol, actually whatever she draws, she can turn herself into. A completely different person or a wall. Doesn’t matter.

It's only kind of that broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Side note: I've been building my hardcover collection. This finally came today. Good lord, these books are chunky.

Only registered members can see post attachments!