Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Qubee posted:

Has YouTube updated it's homepage or did I accidentally opt into a beta, because this past week, my homepage has been recommending videos or channels with no subscribers and very few views and I'm tired of having it clutter up what should be my window into interesting videos. Seeing low effort, low quality videos taking up 30% of the space is irritating and I can't figure out how to revert to the old system.

Same, I assume they're trying to improve discoverability for small creators but hosed up the implementation because the low view videos it's recommending me usually have nothing to do with my interests, which the algo was usually good at figuring out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

El Jeffe posted:

Same, I assume they're trying to improve discoverability for small creators but hosed up the implementation because the low view videos it's recommending me usually have nothing to do with my interests, which the algo was usually good at figuring out.

Nothing to do with my interests, and really piss-poor quality. I really don't want to hear someone who is barely audible monologue into a microphone about some random pointless game clip.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

youtube just decides what my interests are for me, i guess. i never really thought of myself as an "air disaster" guy, but youtube sure puts a lot of air disaster videos in my feed and i started clicking on them and well, i still do. i actually hate them because i fly pretty frequently and was never nervous about it but now i kind of am. still click on them tho. also tornados, but thats ok.

the only kind of videos i ever actively search for is bands playing live, music videos, or lessons on on various audio software and instruments. thats literally the only type of content that ever goes in the search field or that i ever hit like or subscribe on. but it accounts for less than half of what shows up in my feed.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 26, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Strongly recommend bookmarking your ‘subscriptions’ page and never visiting YouTube’s front page.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
So I've got a galaxy s10 that I can connect multiple Bluetooth speakers to and it works mostly. The sound coming from the speakers is off by maybe a 1/10th of a second and it's just bothersome.

Is there an app or setting that I can make up that slight delay going to the speaker?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Fruits of the sea posted:

Strongly recommend bookmarking your ‘subscriptions’ page and never visiting YouTube’s front page.

We all browse the forums this way, so why is this not the default way to do literally everything else for everyone?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

🤷 I've "not interested" aggressively enough that the youtube algorithm hits more than it misses and I like getting shown new stuff

Qubee
May 31, 2013

EricBauman posted:

We all browse the forums this way, so why is this not the default way to do literally everything else for everyone?

I'm a moron because I've been loading the main page and clicking User Control Panel every time even though 99% of the time I'll never browse the forums, I just return to the same threads I always use.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Wasn't sure where else to ask this. Many, many years ago, I saw someone share a post about Women in Yu-Gi-Oh scenes theorizing about how there were no women at the game store because they lacked the mental capacity for the game. It was the funniest stupidest poo poo, but I can't find it again.

I think it was a Reddit post, or at least a screenshot of one. It was pre-2016. I know because I saw it on X, the everything app. Did you know it used to be called Twitter? Anyway, I had quit X by then, so I know it must pre-date that. I think maybe even the Spinelord was the one who shared it. Every year or so I try to re-find this, but to no avail.

Does anyone else remember this post?

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020

El Jeffe posted:

Google Slides.

Google's MS Office clones getting a lot of play this page!

FreshFeesh posted:

LibreOffice has Impress, which is often good enough for slideshows and presentations

I'll try those, thanks.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

(in a US context) how does early direct deposit work for paychecks etc? I thought it was maybe that they just pay you based on what you got paid last time and adjust after but it's always correct

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Badger of Basra posted:

(in a US context) how does early direct deposit work for paychecks etc? I thought it was maybe that they just pay you based on what you got paid last time and adjust after but it's always correct

Canadian here but in all of my jobs my timesheet deadline and my payday were staggered by a week. Any pay I got did not include time worked on the week I received it.

Is it not the same for you?

Edit: judging by the post below I may have misunderstood what "early direct deposit" means

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 27, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I wasn't really aware of early direct deposit as a thing (or maybe more accurately I never noticed or thought about it), but googling it, various banks are saying that they just make the funds available after they have received the payment notification but before the funds are clear.

Apparently, after googling a little bit more, ACH payments can specify a settlement day up to two days in the future, so I'm guessing that for paychecks they will normally initiate the payment exactly two days before the pay day and specify the pay day as the settlement date, because that will ensure that the payment clears by then.

In that case, the banks can just go ahead and make the funds available two days earlier if they trust your employer and you enough that they don't feel the need to wait for the funds to actually clear.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 27, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

If you're a big dumb nerd like me you can just plug the channels you care about into an RSS app and you'll get a nice chronological feed of new uploads with absolutely no algorithmic bullshit.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
A bit on changes in how language authorities approach English grammar in The Guardian mentioned that real grammar sticklers might say they don't like the Oxford Comma but choose their battles.

Why would you not like it? Other than it just not being the done thing? Or because you're a 1920s broadsheet trying to save on ink? (Note: I don't know if that reason for the disappearance of the oc is legit or apocryphal.)

I can think of plenty cases were not using it could lead to serious confusion. Is the reverse ever true?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If your goal is to reduce ambiguity in language, I don't think it's possible to make a case against the oxford comma. I think anyone who dislikes the oxford comma does so for entirely stylistic / aesthetic reasons, or maybe pure stubbornness, and they dismiss the ambiguous cases as being rare and easily overcome. Personally I think they're nuts

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

alnilam posted:

If your goal is to reduce ambiguity in language, I don't think it's possible to make a case against the oxford comma. I think anyone who dislikes the oxford comma does so for entirely stylistic / aesthetic reasons, or maybe pure stubbornness, and they dismiss the ambiguous cases as being rare and easily overcome. Personally I think they're nuts

Heh, the same humorous article said like 'a real stickler for the rules might also say that they don't like a singular "they"'. I presume tongue-in-cheek but there is the teeniest, tiniest chance the author doesn't like the singular day but it slipped out of them.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 27, 2024

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

i'm not a fan of your recommendation

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

alnilam posted:

while i'm not personally "against" the oxford comma and always use it, i do think quite a lot of the most famous examples used to prove its necessity can easily be resolved through context alone and are exaggerated for humor, and are not actually ambiguous unless you are trying really hard to ignore said context

mystes
May 31, 2006

I use the oxford comma but I don't feel like one way is clearer than the other. Also it's not a "grammar" issue.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Oxford comma does not exist in other languages. I don't know if it's an ESL thing, but to me it doesn't seem to meaningfully change anything in any example I've ever seen.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Earwicker posted:

while i'm not personally "against" the oxford comma and always use it, i do think quite a lot of the most famous examples used to prove its necessity can easily be resolved through context alone and are exaggerated for humor, and are not actually ambiguous unless you are trying really hard to ignore said context

Yeah I mean when I said the anti oxford comma people dismiss the ambiguous cases as rare or easily overcome, I think they're correct in that. I just also don't see why you'd be vehemently anti oxford comma.

Then again, if you are honest that your concern is purely aesthetic, you don't need to have any other good reason.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bright Bart posted:

A bit on changes in how language authorities approach English grammar in The Guardian mentioned that real grammar sticklers might say they don't like the Oxford Comma but choose their battles.

Why would you not like it? Other than it just not being the done thing? Or because you're a 1920s broadsheet trying to save on ink? (Note: I don't know if that reason for the disappearance of the oc is legit or apocryphal.)

I can think of plenty cases were not using it could lead to serious confusion. Is the reverse ever true?

I'm an Oxford Comma stickler. However, I do review technical reports for my job. If there is any ambiguity in those, we can easily get sued! So nope, Oxford Commas for you!

I would assume attorneys and the like would have a similar stance on it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

The Oxford comma does not exist in other languages. I don't know if it's an ESL thing, but to me it doesn't seem to meaningfully change anything in any example I've ever seen.

I do get confused when reading British English or other languages but I admit I am so used to the terminal comma that I presume it was left out intentionally and wonder what the last two items in a list have to do with each other.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

People just feel ridiculously strongly about language stuff like that. At least some of it is not actually about the comma, but about the sort of person who would use it. So either you want to sound like an Oxford snob and feel that the Oxford comma is good, or you want to not sound like that kind of guy, so you feel strongly against it. All of this is largely subconscious

But while writing that, I remembered that the real reason is that if someone learned one way or the other in school (regardless of what was taught or not), this will be The Correct Way for them, and any challenge to that is an attack on the concept of education. Same thing as dinosaurs with feathers or, more controversially, absolute binary sexes in biology.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

butt dickus posted:

i'm not a fan of your recommendation

Looks like it's working better than intended

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

The Oxford comma does not exist in other languages.

i mean how could it? oxford is in england and wasnt founded until well after english branched off from other languages. im assuming everyone just waddled around in a state of ambiguity before they invented it, just like the non-anglophone population of the world does today, constantly getting shot by panda bears.

hell some languages don't even have any commas. i assume in these cultures people regularly suffocate from lack of oxygen while reading aloud.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 27, 2024

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i mean how could it? oxford is in england and wasnt founded until well after english branched off from other languages. im assuming everyone just waddled around in a state of ambiguity before they invented it, just like the non-anglophone population of the world does today, constantly getting shot by panda bears.

Punctuation can be imported from other languages. For example, I'm pretty sure Arabic has imported ! and ? in the last like 100 years. It just takes some nerds who know the English rule to assume it'd also be a great rule in their own language. See also how not ending sentences with prepositions was imported into English.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bright Bart posted:

I do get confused when reading British English or other languages but I admit I am so used to the terminal comma that I presume it was left out intentionally and wonder what the last two items in a list have to do with each other.
The only moment I'm aware of it existing is when people specifically bring up the topic. It literally doesn't register whether it's used or not and the problem it's supposed to solve has yet to crop up in reality as far as I'm concerned.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I thought that the preposition thing was to make it sound more classical? Which is a tad humorous as Latin is a very forgiving language in terms of getting your point across. There may be rules and there may be a high brow way of phrasing things but you can basically say Home I Now Go or Go Home Now I and it won't look weird.

Flipperwaldt posted:

It literally doesn't register whether it's used or not and the problem it's supposed to solve has yet to crop up in reality as far as I'm concerned.

Here is what I think is an actual realistic example:

'I have extra shifts at work this month so I'm going to need you to do more things around the house e.g. wash the dishes, rake the leaves, check the mail, vacuum and wash our clothes.'

I am not kidding that I might for a few seconds wonder if there is some gadget to vacuum clothes before or after you wash them. I won't actually take away the wrong meaning of the sentence like in those silly textbook examples. But it'll take me a moment.

Again, this is because I expect the terminal comma so if it's not there I presume that vacuuming and washing clothes are meant to be one item.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BonHair posted:

Punctuation can be imported from other languages. For example, I'm pretty sure Arabic has imported ! and ? in the last like 100 years. It just takes some nerds who know the English rule to assume it'd also be a great rule in their own language. See also how not ending sentences with prepositions was imported into English.

its not punctuation but i would like to import ß into English. but we'll be using it as a special "b" instead of "sharp s" or whatever

also the preposition thing has fallen back out of favor, modern style guides to not require and in fact recommend against that "rule"

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 27, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

I thought that the preposition thing was to make it sound more classical? Which is a tad humorous as Latin is a very forgiving language in terms of getting your point across. There may be rules and there may be a high brow way of phrasing things but you can basically say Home I Now Go or Go Home Now I and it won't look weird.

Here is what I think is an actual realistic example:

'I have extra shifts at work this month so I'm going to need you to do more things around the house e.g. wash the dishes, rake the leaves, check the mail, vacuum and wash our clothes.'

I am not kidding that I might for a few seconds wonder if there is some gadget to vacuum clothes before or after you wash them. I won't actually take away the wrong meaning of the sentence like in those silly textbook examples. But it'll take me a moment.

Again, this is because I expect the terminal comma so if it's not there I presume that vacuuming and washing clothes are meant to be one item.
I don't see how you can possibly be confused by that since roughly 50% of English writing doesn't use the terminal comma

Also, there are much, much bigger problems with lists in written English considering that most people don't even use semicolons when list items contain commas, and because using "and" in list items basically makes it impossible to make sense of nesting

99% of the time it doesn't really matter, but in technical writing or something when you have a complicated list and it's actually important to be clear about the list structure, it's basically impossible unless you just turn it into a numbered list.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 27, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bright Bart posted:

Heh, the same humorous article said like 'real sticklers for the rules might also say that they dont like a singular "they"'. I presume tongue-in-cheek but there is the teeniest, tiniest chance the author doesn't like the singular day but it slipped out of them.

But what you quoted is a plural they. The sticklers might say they don't like it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Powered Descent posted:

But what you quoted is a plural they. The sticklers might say they don't like it.

Yeah it was 'a real stickler...' I dunno why I wrote it wrong

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you're a big dumb nerd like me you can just plug the channels you care about into an RSS app and you'll get a nice chronological feed of new uploads with absolutely no algorithmic bullshit.
They do keep making that option harder and harder to find/use though. Eventually it's going to break (or be broken intentionally).

Bright Bart posted:

Why would you not like it? Other than it just not being the done thing?
I have no preference with regard to the oxford comma itself - I sometimes use i and sometimes don't, depending on whether I feel the sentence looks better one way or the other - but I hate people who are vocally in favour of it. Oxford comma people actually are the way people complain about vegans being; always bringing it up and acting all superior about it.

Bright Bart posted:

Bright Bart posted:

The ambiguity here mostly arises from the fact that "vacuum" breaks the "verb the noun" pattern present in the entire rest of of the list. To solve it, either change it to "vacuum the carpets" or put it at the end of the list.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 28, 2024

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The ambiguity exists because the Oxford comma is an option to use. In another language where such use of the comma isn't allowed, there is still some ambiguity, but because there is no punctuation convention that would suggest the possibility of another interpretation, you go for the likely one. If you wanted your partner to vacuum the clothes, you would write "...and vacuum and wash our clothes".

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Weather question, am I being gaslit by my coworkers about our recent tornado warning?

This morning at like 5:45 I got woken up by my phone displaying a tornado warning and immediately afterwards heard our sirens go off. I went downstairs and while still half asleep went to my local news website and kept tabs on it until like 630 when it was all clear. They were stressing going into basements and interior rooms, standard tornado stuff. Mentioned multiple rotations, some of which were in my county and I was directly in the path of.

I get to work and I’m talking about it with a few coworkers and they basically all said it was no big deal, we weren’t in any danger, and they all just were annoyed by their phones and sirens going off. I would normally just ignore it if one person said it but I had multiple people questioning me going downstairs until the warning was downgraded to a watch

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Weather question, am I being gaslit by my coworkers about our recent tornado warning?

Yes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I wouldn't quite call it gaslighting, but they're definitely being idiots.

I wonder if they also say things like "There's no point in wearing a seat belt, because I've never been in a car crash and so a seat belt has never saved my life", because that's precisely the same thing.