Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
not much else to talk about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I know the comic is centering on Allison trying to stop the loops from happening and this is a special one but do you think every time Gog kills itself it's an end to a bad loop and it's trying again?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
has gog ever suicided, i doubt it

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

SniperWoreConverse posted:

has gog ever suicided, i doubt it

There's a reason why her oldest memories do not go back to the first loops.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

How does an endless worm-mass kill itself? Seek out the divine Cod of the Lake and feed itself to it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Completely random aside, but I was rereading Story of your Life by Ted Chiang and now I'm wondering if the depiction of Jadis was in any way influenced by it (or even its movie adaptation Arrival, although that doesn't go into what it's like as deeply.)

By the end the main character is in many ways quite like Jadis: it's not universal omniscience, but she has total awareness of all her own conscious experience from when she first learned the Heptapod B language midway through the story, up until her death five decades to come. She describes living her life as like reading out the script, something she could never change. Saying and doing what they know they will without ever breaking.

She mentions that while most of the time she still thinks humanly enough that she has a consciousness set a single moment in time travelling forward, like the rest of us, just with memories going in both directions instead of the one, occasionally she snaps into a fully Heptapod way of thinking and experiences all of her own life history as a simultaneous moment.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 26, 2024

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Everyone in this thread is banned from eati g the worm for nerd cooties prevention

I was going to shelve it.

MikeJF posted:

Completely random aside, but I was rereading Story of your Life by Ted Chiang and now I'm wondering if the depiction of Jadis was in any way influenced by it (or even its movie adaptation Arrival, although that doesn't go into what it's like as deeply.)

Don't know about the book, but I remember watching Arrival and thinking "Yes, I too enjoyed Slaughter House 5."

Also, it seemed to be the alien equivalent of going to Europe and talking slowly and loudly in English to non-English speaking service staff.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I am pretty sure they indicate Allison, and ONLY Allison can hear the thoughts - Gog herself can not.

But does Jadis know about the thought bubbles?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Not many webcomics can support arguments like this, just another reason why KSBD is the best.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The next page will show what what Gog-Agog says aloud by writing it on her shirt like in the earliest newspaper comics.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 26, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
after that literally a scroll coming out of her mouth like earliest woodcut long-s jhonny that's treason type bullshit

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I hope we get more Gog thought bubbles

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Asgerd posted:

Yes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Asgerd posted:

Holding up a flashing neon sign that says "JADIS KNOWS EVERYTHING, YES, EVEN THAT"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Of course Jadis knows about thought bubbles. But since internal monologue doesn't even count as being a "thing that happens", they're near the bottom of her very deep well of poo poo she doesn't care about.

Ditocoaf posted:

The next page will show what what Gog-Agog says aloud by writing it on her shirt like in the earliest newspaper comics.

The APPLAUSE sign above her desk changes to display her inner thoughts. The Gogs in the audience recite it out loud and then clap.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Youremother posted:

Not many webcomics can support arguments like this, just another reason why KSBD is the best.

Yeah, there's some great attention to detail in this comic so when you get stuff like this it's really noticeable. Maybe it's just for this gag here , maybe its something more significant, who knows. Though I suppose if you were to break out some things to mess with how the comic is presented, some serious time with a clown would be a good opportunity. We had the font/word bubble change too to show a change of tone in how Gog was speaking. So the thought bubbles aren't the only thing, though that was a bit more subtle sure.

Though I also kinda like the mentioned idea that this might be a way for us to learn what Gog is actually thinking here. Since we already know she'll 100% commit to a bit just for the heck of it.

It also makes me wonder if its also something to shift the perspective a bit. Allison in this page is super threatening and I think having us see Gog's thoughts and center things from her perspective helps to push that. We already know where Allison is at mentally, so now we get to see how others are viewing her. Like we already got that part where Zaid and Nyave were showing a little unease with her, but this really kinda hits it home that things are really different now. Not just how Allison acts but how others are seeing and treating her. Probably overthinking but eh.

This whole sequence is really cool. Good comic.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 27, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I think it's probably more likely that they're just thought bubbles, but we've been told repeatedly by Operant that Gog-Agog truly commits to her bits and lives kayfabe. So of course the first time I saw thought bubbles, the fact that they were from her made me wonder. I don't see why it's a ludicrous question.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
+ the bearer splashpage segment was changed from normal, maybe to represent that she's loving bonkers. agogged out. The majesty and beauty of the aura and manifesting the power and crown and the key is a joke, and this being a part of the structure of the book itself is a fuckin joke as well.

gog isn't an overtly wrathful type of :airquote: spiritual :airquote: entity but more concealed. encysted. dunno if that's really a trope or motif i know of outside of say, the thing. Pretty modern take i guess -- i don't know of any goglike entities before k6bd and i dunno if you could even theoretically have one before now, which is cool. She's not ultra mega groundbreaking maybe but pretty novel i think. somebody prove me wrong on this one

there's a clear lineage of hidden secret monsters but gog is a pretty weird spin on it

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Gog never has thought bubbles at home...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I hope we get more Gog thought bubbles

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
:five:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

"Would you love me if I were a worm?"

"You are already a worm"

"Nani?!"

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

wiegieman posted:

Holding up a flashing neon sign that says "JADIS KNOWS EVERYTHING, YES, EVEN THAT"

Even the evil that lies in men's hearts?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

that lives on and on, so yes

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
it seemed like Jadis was perfectly capable of reading Allison's thoughts, at least https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/breaker-of-infinities-4-134/

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think the thought bubbles would be clearer in their purpose if the words were carved into worms

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

shirts and skins posted:

it seemed like Jadis was perfectly capable of reading Allison's thoughts, at least https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/breaker-of-infinities-4-134/

Don't make me tap the sign again

"JADIS HAS PERFECT OMNISCIENCE"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

Picturing Jadis in a big cape, a wide brimmed hat, and a couple of .45s

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Phy posted:

So piloting a Raleigh then?

Bigiron in her cheeee...ssst.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Phy posted:

She's demonstrably a crack shot

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thyrork posted:

So piloting a Raleigh then?

Bigiron in her cheeee...ssst.

She definitely pilots a Pegasus, which has a trait called "By the way, I know everything."

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Eh... I don't see it. Run it by me again? I missed the physical sign people speak of. lol, surefire way to rile people up I guess.

Also as a funny aside, this made me think of Jadis knowing where she misplaced her keys, but she just keeps looking everywhere for them anyhow, because that's what she's supposed to do, lol.

"Jadis, what are you doing?"

"Looking for my keys..."

"But you know where your keys are, right?"

*Deep sigh* "Yeah..."

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

Also as a funny aside, this made me think of Jadis knowing where she misplaced her keys, but she just keeps looking everywhere for them anyhow, because that's what she's supposed to do, lol.

"Jadis, what are you doing?"

"Looking for my keys..."

"But you know where your keys are, right?"

*Deep sigh* "Yeah..."
Far too much later, Allison realises how dumb waiting for this farce to play out is and decides to go pick them up where Jadis left them.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

maswastaken posted:

Far too much later, Allison realises how dumb waiting for this farce to play out is and decides to go pick them up where Jadis left them.

"I knew you were going to do that"

wait does that mean jadis is the platonic ideal of an SA poster with a puppetmaster gimmick

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I know she knows everything, but hear me out, what if she didn't.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Does jadis know how many Gokus each demiurge could take?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Does jadis know how many Gokus each demiurge could take?

Yeah, thats easy, its always zero.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jadis knows exactly what Goku's power level is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They beat Goku once each, but he unlocks a new power each time and beats them on the rematch.