Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Lammasu posted:

Some people's outrage over "anchor" babies baffles me.

They start with the racist, sexist, and classist opinions that dark skinned people are inferior and one aspect of that inferiority is having too many children they can’t afford or take care of and therefore will grow up to be criminals - standard ways they think about black people and welfare. But in the case of immigrants, having those babies is actually One Weird Trick that makes them all citizens, and that just totally pisses them off, because it’s those stereotypes getting rewarded for being the stereotypes they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tias posted:

Thanks for the good answers! I realize that you don't want petty barriers on criminal record for the presidency, I just figured that, maybe, somehow, the whole "ordering congress stormed" thing might have kicked off a censuring clause of some kind or other.

That violates the 14th amendment, but we have never really had an effective method of enforcing it. Within a couple years of the 14th's passing we had absolute shitloads of Confederates, who should have been barred from office, in office and nobody was willing to do anything about it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tias posted:

Thanks for the good answers! I realize that you don't want petty barriers on criminal record for the presidency, I just figured that, maybe, somehow, the whole "ordering congress stormed" thing might have kicked off a censuring clause of some kind or other.

I pray nightly for zombie Eugene Debs to return and lead your people!

It did kick one off. Impeachment proceedings were started against him as a result of the whole "ordering Congress stormed" thing, and a successful impeachment would have barred him from ever holding the presidency again. Unfortunately, not enough Republicans were willing to commit to impeaching him, causing it to fail.

That's the thing. No matter what the rules say, the rules are interpreted and enforced by humans, who have their own political preferences and opinions, and also generally don't want to be nationally known as the person who disenfranchised someone with 60+ million supporters.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Being barred from office is only an optional penalty that the Senate can add to removal from office upon conviction. It's entirely possible for the Senate to remove the President, or any officer subject to impeachment, only for that person to be voted back in via the public. Or the Senate in the case of an appointment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Adhemar posted:

Is it too late to have Trump declared a vagabond and retroactively strip him of his citizenship? I guess he’ll be a pauper soon too, so we’ve got options.

I know you're kidding, but the 14th amendment overrides that. Section 1 guarantees citizenship.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tesseraction posted:

I know you're kidding, but the 14th amendment overrides that. Section 1 Service guarantees citizenship.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

im doin MY part

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Tias posted:

I pray nightly for zombie Eugene Debs to return and lead eat your people!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Guess he found a lawyer to handle the appeal.

https://x.com/axios/status/1762135583608934542?s=46&t=bfbUdXZ7wtKr5Ce8r1pCkQ

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...a lawyer with $500 million cash in their desk drawer?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I don't see a link to the filings. This might just be a filing of the notice of intent to appeal, not the actual filing of the appeal.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

No. He just filed the paperwork. Anyone's guess he'll be able to actually follow through. Didn't Habba sign off on this?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't see a link to the filings. This might just be a filing of the notice of intent to appeal, not the actual filing of the appeal.

The AP story does use the "filed a notice of appeal" language, but Reuters goes straight to "appealed". I guess we know whose copy editors have law experience now

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It’s just the notice. He hasn’t appealed anything yet and may not for months. He gets like 6 months to file and there’s automatic extensions he can ask for. However, he’s probably going to ask the appeals court to stay the judgement (without bond) while he files his appeal.

We’ll see if it works.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Murgos posted:

It’s just the notice. He hasn’t appealed anything yet and may not for months. He gets like 6 months to file and there’s automatic extensions he can ask for. However, he’s probably going to ask the appeals court to stay the judgement (without bond) while he files his appeal.

We’ll see if it works.

Narrator's voice: It didn't.

He can appeal now if he wants, but if he wants to keep his stuff he has to put up that bond. Of course he can appeal without the bond, but he'd have to start paying out while the appeals process plays out.

Edit: On another subject, it seems Cheesebro might just be...unethical?
https://twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/1762160848368177591

Cimber fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 26, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Murgos posted:

We’ll see if it works.

i thought he had a 30 day appeal window and when that closed it was basically done and over with for real

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Zamujasa posted:

i thought he had a 30 day appeal window and when that closed it was basically done and over with for real

Nothing is ever over and done with with these people. Even after he passes away, his estate will be tied up in litigation around this for years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zamujasa posted:

That's how it normally works most places most of the time but it seems like NY's laws for this kind of thing are complicated.

You have to file the notice of appeal within deadline or you're boned. From reporting I thought you had to file the bond with the notice of appeal. Apparently they're separate. I *think* at this point he still has to file the bond within 30 days, and if he doesn't, the appeal persists but the state can start collecting his assets and selling them to satisfy the judgement. We are beyond my expertise tho.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What happens if you fail to post the bond, the state takes all your stuff, and then you win the appeal?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

haveblue posted:

What happens if you fail to post the bond, the state takes all your stuff, and then you win the appeal?

Doesn't any money or capital towards a bond get held in escrow during an appeal? So I don't think it actually "goes" anywhere until the appeal is over.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's how it normally works most places most of the time but it seems like NY's laws for this kind of thing are complicated.

You have to file the notice of appeal within deadline or you're boned. From reporting I thought you had to file the bond with the notice of appeal. Apparently they're separate. I *think* at this point he still has to file the bond within 30 days, and if he doesn't, the appeal persists but the state can start collecting his assets and selling them to satisfy the judgement. We are beyond my expertise tho.

This is correct as far as I can tell.

And honestly, that makes sense. It's be pretty wild if you couldn't appeal because you couldnt afford to post bond.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

When it comes to collateral, or to all of the property that Trump has that could be seized and sold by the courts to pay off his debts, do his international properties come under their jurisdiction too? Or would Trump's Scotland golf course be the one thing that may end up remaining after all is said and done, if the courts have to go through and start liquidating everything he owns here in the US?

Think it would be darkly hilarious if everything Trump has in the US gets sold for scrap to pay off all of his legal debts and then he "suddenly" brokers a deal for a Trump Dubai and he's like "well, sorry folks, you took everything from me here in the US, guess I just have to go live in the UAE now."

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Velocity Raptor posted:

haveblue posted:

Doesn't any money or capital towards a bond get held in escrow during an appeal? So I don't think it actually "goes" anywhere until the appeal is over.
Right, that's the point of the bond, but if you can't post the bond, the government takes your stuff. Presumably upon a subsequent successful appeal they'd figure out how to pay you back.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

haveblue posted:

At a guess?

"Here is a cheque for $400 mill. Maybe I'd you are lucky some of the people we sold your buildings to will sell you them back. But I wouldn't count on it."

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I assume it will take months to actually start selling his properties so he may have quite a bit of time.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Class3KillStorm posted:

When it comes to collateral, or to all of the property that Trump has that could be seized and sold by the courts to pay off his debts, do his international properties come under their jurisdiction too? Or would Trump's Scotland golf course be the one thing that may end up remaining after all is said and done, if the courts have to go through and start liquidating everything he owns here in the US?

Think it would be darkly hilarious if everything Trump has in the US gets sold for scrap to pay off all of his legal debts and then he "suddenly" brokers a deal for a Trump Dubai and he's like "well, sorry folks, you took everything from me here in the US, guess I just have to go live in the UAE now."

NY can't take anything that isn't based in NY

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

That's why his lawyers just filed something where they were like "lol the addresses for these buildings are actually in Florida" before the AG caught them out on it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

Yeah but what actually counts as "based in NY"? They can presumably seize every asset directly owned by a Trump company headquartered in NY. Does this include the titles to real estate that isn't itself in NY, if the NY company was the sole owner? What if the NY company owns a holding company that owns the real estate? Does the answer change if the holding company is or is not based in NY? What if there are multiple layers of holding company?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions but drawing a bright line at the state border and saying everything outside is shielded from seizure even if it's an asset of a seized company seems eminently abusable

gregday
May 23, 2003

Barbara Jones could decide to sell any property the Trump Org owns to pay the fines.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cr0y posted:

Bad news about Trump Tower then.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

With trial starting next month, Manhattan DA asks judge for a gag order in Trump’s hush-money case

quote:

Prosecutors in Donald Trump’s New York hush-money criminal case asked a judge Monday to impose a gag order on the former president ahead of next month’s trial, citing his “long history of making public and inflammatory remarks” about people involved in his legal cases.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office asked for what they called a “narrowly tailored” gag order that would bar Trump from making or directing others to make public statements about potential witnesses and jurors, as well as statements meant to interfere with or harass the court’s staff, prosecution team or their families. The request excludes comments about the district attorney, Alvin Bragg.

Jury selection in the case is scheduled to begin March 25. The judge, Juan Manuel Merchan, didn’t immediately rule. Messages seeking comment were left with Trump’s lawyers.

“Self-regulation is not a viable alternative, as defendant’s recent history makes plain,” prosecutors wrote in court papers. Trump, they said, “has a longstanding and perhaps singular history” of using social media, campaign speeches and other public statements to “attack individuals that he considers to be adversaries.”

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

haveblue posted:

Yeah but what actually counts as "based in NY"? They can presumably seize every asset directly owned by a Trump company headquartered in NY. Does this include the titles to real estate that isn't itself in NY, if the NY company was the sole owner? What if the NY company owns a holding company that owns the real estate? Does the answer change if the holding company is or is not based in NY? What if there are multiple layers of holding company?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions but drawing a bright line at the state border and saying everything outside is shielded from seizure even if it's an asset of a seized company seems eminently abusable

It doesn't necessarily have to be solely New York state, but any seizure must follow local ordinance. Enforcing judgment across state lines IS possible (we aren't that cowboy). You have to get paperwork from the NY court and file it in the court with the personal jurisdiction over the property in question, and have to follow local law on what can be seized. The magic trick was that before entry of judgment it would move the case (remember, the root of the case is fraud on the properties mortgages) to Florida and outside the jurisdiction of the court. It would have been a smart thing to do when he got wind NY was sniffing around his books, once its in front of a judge who can just block it not such a great plan.

Technically you have to file in every county you want to seize property in.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 27, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Barrel Cactaur posted:

It doesn't necessarily have to be solely New York state, but any seizure must follow local ordinance. Enforcing judgment across state lines IS possible (we aren't that cowboy). You have to get paperwork from the NY court and file it in the court with the personal jurisdiction over the property in question, and have to follow local law on what can be seized. The magic trick was that before entry of judgment it would move the case (remember, the root of the case is fraud on the properties mortgages) to Florida and outside the jurisdiction of the court. It would have been a smart thing to do when he got wind NY was sniffing around his books, once its in front of a judge who can just block it not such a great plan.

Technically you have to file in every county you want to seize property in.

However Trump has enough property in NY that its moot. They don't need to grab stuff in Florida where they would have a real fight on their hands when they can simply snag Trump Tower or 40 Wall street and call it a day.

edit: I just looked at the wiki page for 40 wall, and holy poo poo.

quote:

New York prosecutors scrutinized several of the Trump Organization's properties by 2021. The investigation found that, between 2011 and 2015, far higher values were presented to potential lenders than were reported to tax officials. The most extreme case involved 40 Wall Street, which in 2012 was cited as being worth $527 million to lenders but only $16.7 million to tax officials.[274] By February 2023, the building had been placed on a lender watchlist because of its rising vacancy rate, which had reached 18 percent in the third quarter of 2022, and its maintenance costs, which had risen 11 percent since the mortgage was issued in 2015.[275][276] Fitch Ratings downgraded the credit rating for the building's loans in August 2023 because new tenants were slow to move into the building while old tenants relocated elsewhere.[277] The building's Duane Reade location closed in late 2023 due to increased shoplifting.[51] The loan on the property was transferred to a special servicer that November because there was a possibility that the state government's ongoing criminal investigation of the Trump Organization could result in the organization's dissolution.[278]

Cimber fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 27, 2024

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ignore the weird Twitter account just wanted to find something embeddable

https://twitter.com/Breaking_4_News/status/1762282445083210146?t=MJro2xr9m36w5BxsqChRrg&s=19

https://abc7chicago.com/judge-rules-nathan-wades-attorney-must-take-the-stand-again-in-tru/14471251/

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The court seemed pretty skeptical about the privilege argument he tried to pull during the hearing, so I'm not surprised.

More heartburn fuel.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

The court seemed pretty skeptical about the privilege argument he tried to pull during the hearing, so I'm not surprised.

More heartburn fuel.

If this tanks the case I think I legitimately have to believe in a God that hates me. Or the trump found some hosed up wishmaster gem.

Dead to right in Florida? Oh he got his hand picked judge willing to throw the case. Half his codependents plea in Georgia and it turns out the lead prosecutor hired her fuckboy and rather than simply admit to it and say it doesn't matter because he took a paycut to get the job it genuinely looks like they might have just perjured themselves.

I assume a comet is going to destroy a DC courthouse moments before the trial there is set to start.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Caros posted:

I assume a comet is going to destroy a DC courthouse moments before the trial there is set to start.

I dub this style of doomposting "Carosing".

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Caros posted:

If this tanks the case I think I legitimately have to believe in a God that hates me. Or the trump found some hosed up wishmaster gem.

Dead to right in Florida? Oh he got his hand picked judge willing to throw the case. Half his codependents plea in Georgia and it turns out the lead prosecutor hired her fuckboy and rather than simply admit to it and say it doesn't matter because he took a paycut to get the job it genuinely looks like they might have just perjured themselves.

I have to assume this level of fuckery is basically standard to the point she assumed it didn't matter.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Everything that I've heard makes it seem pretty unlikely that Willis would be taken off the case. Maybe Wade would be and it wouldn't really affect the timeline of the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

mllaneza posted:

I dub this style of doomposting "Carosing".

Hey I'm not that bad.

I'd like to be live we live in a world where crime gets punished I'm just... Wary.

Like it isn't even just trump. A couple of years back I ratted out a company I worked for as being a ponzi scheme. They collapsed, predictablely, but we are entering year two without anything more than an fcaa investigation that will bar them from selling investments.

The thing they were already doing illegally without a license.

Just feels like white collar crime in general is something our system cannot deal with in a meaningful fashion.