Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Kalit posted:

The original claim was:

Not "no first hand witnesses that consists of someone who I deem trustworthy". Stop moving the goalposts.

I think “trustworthy” is implied. Why would we ever care about an uncredible claim? That’s not moving the goal posts. Is there a witness whose credibility isn’t incredibly, comically suspect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Kalit posted:

The original claim was:

Not "no first hand witnesses that consists of someone who I deem trustworthy". Stop moving the goalposts.

this guy is utterly full of poo poo. he now claims the rapists he saw were just regular Gazan civilians and not Hamas. His testimony is inconsistent and seriously changes every time he retells it. He's very obviously lying to justify genocide.

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1743129298112790949?lang=en

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Something that popped up for me this morning although it's a few days old.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cjevvyw3z38o

quote:

A university has said it will "not tolerate" any form of discrimination after what it described as antisemitic graffiti was found painted on a campus building.

Two messages were daubed onto the Lasdun Wall walkway at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Norwich.

A spokesperson said the graffiti would be removed and said it was working with the police to identify those responsible.

The 2 messages are:

"Judaism opposes Zionism"
"Zionism = Colonialism"

The media and academia are furthering the conflation of jews, Israel, and Zionism. No one in their right mind could consider these messages antisemitic.
Shameful to do Israel's work for them.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

punishedkissinger posted:

this guy is utterly full of poo poo. he now claims the rapists he saw were just regular Gazan civilians and not Hamas. His testimony is inconsistent and seriously changes every time he retells it. He's very obviously lying to justify genocide.

He never even claimed to have witnessed rapes until the NYT article.

He's an obvious liar and yet he's the only named witness they had. But as we've seen from these very pages, it works. The media illiterate will see 3 articles quoting atrocity propaganda from an IDF soldier and count them as 3 separate collaborating stories.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 26, 2024

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
joe kahn's stewardship of the new york times isn't meant to inform, but rather make readers feel intelligent and good about themselves.

this is why they got their rear end handed to them by a loving squirrel.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

National Parks posted:

The official position from Israeli authorities is that they cant find any rape survivors because they are all dead and buried, literally every single one.

The Guardian article has a different explanation, which I think further supports the credulousness of this journalist:

quote:

Renana Eitan, the head of psychiatry at the Ichilov Tel Aviv medical centre, previously told the Guardian that of the 14 freed hostages still under her care – including children – several had been subjected to or witnessed sexual abuse. The US state department has said that the week-long truce between Israel and Hamas in November broke down because the militants refused to release the remaining women in its custody, over fears they would speak publicly about sexual violence.

Orit Sulitzeanu, the director of the Association of Rape Crisis Centers in Israel, said: “Everyone is looking for that golden piece of evidence, a woman survivor who testifies publicly about what happened to her. But think about it: someone suffering with that kind of trauma, why would they put themselves through that? Sexual violence is underreported everywhere. This is no different.

I don’t think it is currently in the survivors’ best interests to go to the police, and I think the investigations into all the atrocities are going to take a very long time.”

I think this is an extraordinary claim. It's basically saying that there are sexual abuse victims including children walking around, but they're just out of frame, no one can talk to them, and why would they go to the police anyway?

Esran fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 26, 2024

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

boo boo bear posted:

this is why they got their rear end handed to them by a loving squirrel.

I don't want to start a derail but can you elaborate/explain here? I can't tell if this is a metaphor I don't know or if there was some situation involving a real squirrel or what.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't want to start a derail but can you elaborate/explain here? I can't tell if this is a metaphor I don't know or if there was some situation involving a real squirrel or what.

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1761249450998022442

This squirrel.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Esran posted:

The Guardian article has a different explanation, which I think further supports the credulousness of this journalist:

I think this is an extraordinary claim. It's basically saying that there are sexual abuse victims including children walking around, but they're just out of frame, no one can talk to them, and why would they go to the police anyway?

Heres something interesting: one of the families says in fact there wasnt evidence of sexual assault

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1761931235465564327?s=19

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Don't think I saw this posted in here yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/22/us-intelligence-unrwa-hamas

Even the US' own intelligence community doesn't think there are wider links between UNRWA and Hamas' militant wings. They even assessed the reports of several individuals participating as low confidence. Although imo even if those accusations turned out to be true it's no justification for cutting off payments to the organization.

When are we going to see US funding for UNWRA restored? (I know the answer is never)

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"

Ms Adequate posted:

Reporting is naming him as Aaron Bushnell, and the Air Force has confused he was active duty. Some reporting is saying he has since died of his injuries, though that doesn't yet seem to be fully confirmed.

I have to say though, that someone serving in the US military self-immolating in the name of a free Palestine is not a thing I ever thought I'd see.

God willing his sacrifice will make a difference, but regardless I'll salute his courage and principles.

At a glance, it looks like most US news sites are kinda burying the story. My infallible and extremely scientific look at some front pages (mobile) found it only on US News. The stories are there, just not where most people will see them.

e: maybe they all had it up yesterday?

the other hand fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 26, 2024

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
news agencies traditionally under report suicides to prevent it from being a tipping point for at risk individuals.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
They say that when it's climate protestors or for causes the west doesn't support.
Never see them reluctant to report about a suicide when it's a far right nut after shooting up somewhere before offing himself.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

idontpost69 posted:

news agencies traditionally under report suicides to prevent it from being a tipping point for at risk individuals.

Children are "at risk" in Gaza. Doctors are having to treat 5 year olds telling them they wish they had died with the rest of their family.

Some things are actually important to notice.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Children are "at risk" in Gaza. Doctors are having to treat 5 year olds telling them they wish they had died with the rest of their family.

Some things are actually important to notice.

Yes, and it's not that news doesn't report on it, it's that they use certain framing. They're burying this because it's a US soldier and pro-gaza.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/DRBoguslaw/status/1761886816561397841

Not sure if this is about anat or Aaron Bushnell, but I will be extremely pleasantly surprised if the nyt does anything material over this

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kagrenak posted:

Don't think I saw this posted in here yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/22/us-intelligence-unrwa-hamas

Even the US' own intelligence community doesn't think there are wider links between UNRWA and Hamas' militant wings. They even assessed the reports of several individuals participating as low confidence. Although imo even if those accusations turned out to be true it's no justification for cutting off payments to the organization.

When are we going to see US funding for UNWRA restored? (I know the answer is never)

Iirc the suspension doesn't (directly) kick in until March 1, although having to plan around "what if we lose most of our money" is always a big problem for bureaucracies and i find bureaucracies more interesting than most people do.

The easy answer if people who dislike / don't care about unrwa remain dominant is "suspension is in effect until the investigation concludes, good luck". I can't immediately find whether / how much the US has rerouted aid but I've been meaning to look into the details of US aid to Gaza anyway so toss it in the basket I guess.

Marenghi posted:

They say that when it's climate protestors or for causes the west doesn't support.
Never see them reluctant to report about a suicide when it's a far right nut after shooting up somewhere before offing himself.

Is your pitch that... mainstream western news reports on far right gun suicide attacks because they support those? :raise:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Iirc the suspension doesn't (directly) kick in until March 1, although having to plan around "what if we lose most of our money" is always a big problem for bureaucracies and i find bureaucracies more interesting than most people do.

The easy answer if people who dislike / don't care about unrwa remain dominant is "suspension is in effect until the investigation concludes, good luck". I can't immediately find whether / how much the US has rerouted aid but I've been meaning to look into the details of US aid to Gaza anyway so toss it in the basket I guess.

Is your pitch that... mainstream western news reports on far right gun suicide attacks because they support those? :raise:

considering the incredibly generous portrayal of far right killers in the media (dad on jetski etc), I think its very difficult to not see that media outlets have a great deal of sympathy for these people, on some level.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Google Jeb Bush posted:

No but they treat them like a natural event. Extreme protest against the status quo less so

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Marenghi posted:

They don't generally put much/any information about the shooter's suicide when that happens and there's a pretty key difference between a mass shooting ending in a suicide and a protest consisting only of a suicide. Note that I do not endorse the inference from that the best way to gain coverage in Western news for your cause would be to commit a mass shooting before killing yourself, before anyone jumps on that.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

idontpost69 posted:

Do you have a source for this?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

While true through this morning, this was CNN a couple of hours ago:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1762206067675861116

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The only thing I've been able to think about all day is Aaron Bushnell and I'm glad the story is getting some, grudging coverage by the mainstream Anglo press.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

punishedkissinger posted:

I'm agog at the distinction drawn between the evil laughing Gazan rapist who is doing it for fun and the grimly serious unnamed rapist who doesn't enjoy it at all and would prefer not to be raping.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Speleothing posted:

I'm agog at the distinction drawn between the evil laughing Gazan rapist who is doing it for fun and the grimly serious unnamed rapist who doesn't enjoy it at all and would prefer not to be raping.

*Zizek intensifies*

State department pressers have picked up a lot in hostility since the start of the war, you can tell that the journalists are getting tired of the "Frank, Stern, Productive Private Conversations" line, and they're starting to muster the energy to sass some obviously bullshit statements.

https://x.com/kenklippenstein/status/1762236613415797119?s=20

Doesn't amount to much of course, but it's still interesting to see moderate pushback.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

While true through this morning, this was CNN a couple of hours ago:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1762206067675861116

The concern trolling about mental health in response to this is making me genuinely angry.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Not sure whether we already discussed this particular piece of depravity:

https://x.com/malsaafin/status/1761405336324346263?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

If we can frame "support" as "secretly like because they drive engagement and views"... yeah, definitely

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Szarrukin posted:

Do you have any credible sources (not reprints of NYT bullshit) or it's just more "I'm totally not defending Israel here, BUT..." crap?

NYT carefully avoids mentioning what was the reason for self immolation for entire first part of article, also heavily implying it was a terrorist attack
They now mention it in the subheadline:

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
"Deadly military actions" is ridiculous euphemism for "genocide".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Szarrukin posted:

"Deadly military actions" is ridiculous euphemism for "genocide".

They wouldn't be able to call it that at the moment, even if they wanted, outside of quotes and opinion pieces. Even Al Jazeera doesn't routinely refer to Israel's actions as genocide in their news articles, and their coverage of Bushnell's protest is not very different from NYT's.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/2/26/us-airman-who-set-himself-on-fire-outside-israeli-embassy-dies

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

It shows you the effectiveness of Respectable Liberal Media, where you can quote anonymous intelligence or discredited sources, and then other media outlets will quote your story, and on and on down the chain until it becomes common knowledge that's been extensively researched, even though it all comes back to the same single source. This happened a lot with coverage of Xinjiang, a massive amount of outlets and articles, but it all just came back to Adrien Zenz.

The NYT can lie over and over again but their respectability or trustworthiness will never be called into question, whereas other more fringe outlets that go against the official narrative will be dismissed out of hand.

makes me think of the Jakarta Method and the little marxist newspaper from Jakarta giving more accurate coverage of what happened in both Uruguay and Indonesia, while the nyt et al were parroting state department propaganda

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Biden has now done multiple media appearances saying that a ceasefire agreement is close but it’s being denied by the other sides so who knows what’s going on. He’s being more critical of Israel than usual.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Biden has now done multiple media appearances saying that a ceasefire agreement is close but it’s being denied by the other sides so who knows what’s going on. He’s being more critical of Israel than usual.

he's saying it because of the michigan primary tonight. it's a total lie

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

he's saying it because of the michigan primary tonight. it's a total lie

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1762435851579961554

I guess the FM of Qatar is in on it too.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

You seem to have missed the "but it was too early to make an announcement" bit?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Biden was on Seth Myers last night talking about how it's basically a done deal by this weekend. Ramadan isn't for another 2 weeks. I'm not going to say Biden is lying but he seems to be putting a spin on the whole thing that no one else involved seems to be going along with

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

You seem to have missed the "but it was too early to make an announcement" bit?

Sick back pedal from "a total lie."

Love that apparently publicly putting pressure on Israel about a deal is now also bad because of unspecified reasons.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wouldn't put any stock in any potential ceasefire deals/announcements until we hear what Hamas has to say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I wouldn't put any stock in any potential ceasefire deals/announcements until we hear what Hamas has to say about it.

Right. Hamas already disputed the ceasefire claim: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/02/27/world/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news

Like I said, it was a total lie from Biden. This isn't about him trying to apply pressure on Israel, this is him doing damage control before the Michigan primary tonight (which is widely understood to be a bell-weather for how the Dem base feels about his unabashed support of Israel's genocide).