Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Real ones remember the real interminable movie ending fight scene, the Nuclearman fight in Superman IV

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Famously unpopular and unwanted, Superman in a big superpowered punchfest against a dangerous villain, definitely not what people had been openly wanting for decades at that point.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Famously unpopular and unwanted, Superman in a big superpowered punchfest against a dangerous villain, definitely not what people had been openly wanting for decades at that point.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lmao

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Total Meatlove posted:

But the fight in Man of Steel had a lot of the payoff for different plot and story elements within it, and has been aped relentlessly since?

No offense but I have never heard anything close to this take before, so I don't think it's as accepted as you think.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
We could quibble about "relentlessly" but Man of Steel has definitely been referenced by later films. Comparison gifs come up in the Snyder thread ever so often.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Migration was cute but forgettable

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

so like most of Illumination's output?

Also someone trying to watch the ATLA live action had noticed that it's essentially shot in such a way as to make it prime to upload on tiktok without losing any context

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Migration was cute but forgettable

Yeah it was a very basic family roadtrip comedy, enjoyable enough but nothing special

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

There's a new Kung-fu Panda coming out?!?! Is it going to be animated in the way the recent DreamWorks movies have been? Because if so it is going to look loving amazing

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ccs posted:

Has it? Every blockbuster seems to take their guidance from the first Avengers final battle, and not the relentless and character-assassinating fight from Man of Steel.

No wonder many live action big budget action movies look so bad.

Not surprised the Spiderverse movies have better action scenes than most too, to keep it relevant to this thread.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 27, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Aces High posted:

There's a new Kung-fu Panda coming out?!?! Is it going to be animated in the way the recent DreamWorks movies have been? Because if so it is going to look loving amazing

It doesn't look like Puss in Boots or The Bad Guys but the animation in the trailer certainly looked like a step up from the previous movies, which already look great

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I just think about KFP2 and the flashback scenes both at the beginning and middle and, while those looked amazing in 2011, they would look immaculate today with that brushstroke look. I recall finding it slightly distracting when watching Puss in Boots, but I figure Kung-fu Panda and it would fit like a glove.

All that to say that's a little disappointing that it isn't the case, but we're getting another Kung-fu Panda and Ian McShane is back!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Were either of the Kung Fu Panda shows worth watching while we're on the subject?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Larryb posted:

Were either of the Kung Fu Panda shows worth watching while we're on the subject?

I thought the one with the gauntlet that Po accidentally destroys was promising but the CG was so clearly on a budget that none of the action or jokes landed because it felt so lifeless. Apparently the 2D one was better though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Except for Penguins of Madagascar - most of the CGI tv shows from dreamworks are honestly not worth it, the downgrade is huge and the writing doesn't compensate

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Except for Penguins of Madagascar - most of the CGI tv shows from dreamworks are honestly not worth it, the downgrade is huge and the writing doesn't compensate

I thought the HTTYD series was decent at least

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Srice posted:

The only shipping I wanna hear about is the movie in which a dog has a robot shipped to his home!!

In all serious though it's annoying that Robot Dreams isn't getting a theatrical release before the Oscars. I've been seeing trailers for it in theaters that say it's "Coming Soon" but the Oscars aren't far off and that the trailer doesn't have a specific date makes me think it's gonna be out after the Oscars. Just feels like a missed opportunity since I dunno about everyone else but the main reason it's on my radar at all is because of that Best Animated nomination.

i saw perfect days over the weekend (extremely good) and i want to say there was a robot dreams trailer with limited-run dates indicated, so it's worth double-checking all available sources

but i could be wrong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I have heard nothing but good things about the Penguins of Madagascar. Show and characters. Do not gently caress with those penguins.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have heard nothing but good things about the Penguins of Madagascar. Show and characters. Do not gently caress with those penguins.

I don't think the show is very good, but I also think 99% of shows based on movies are terrible. The Tangled series is a weird exception but I think all the Dreamworks shows absolutely suck.

Penguins is really hurt by the voice actor changes. I cannot stand the choice they made for Kawalski's voice, they made no attempt to get a soundalike.

Penguins of Madagascar the movie though is like top 5 Dreamworks movies, it loving rules

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not technically animation but I wasn’t sure where else to put this, we’ve got some new info on the third Tron movie:

https://www.ign.com/articles/tron-ares-first-look-image-reveals-villainous-red-suit-and-first-story-details

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That none of the Legacy cast appear to be returning doesn’t fill me with confidence. Also Jared loving Leto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not even a Jeff Bridges appearance? Lame (but we’ll see)

Has Jared Leto been good in anything come to think of it? It doesn’t help that he’s kind of a piece of poo poo off camera as well

Assuming the titular character appears I assume Bruce Boxleitner will be back at the very least (he’s voiced Tron in pretty much everything including the cartoon, games, and Kingdom Hearts)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 1, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

Has Jared Leto been good in anything come to think of it?

Blade Runner 2049?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Even if Jared Leto was good, he's such a loving piece of poo poo that he's physically repellent to me.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Leto was good in Lord of War as Nic Cage's drug-addled little brother, but was it acting?

Also... isn't every Tron movie about "humankind's first encounter with AI beings?" I guess you could argue that they're "just" programs, but they have a fair amount of autonomy. Same with the... fractals? Whatever the heck Olivia Munn was in Legacy. The computer people that wandered out of the computer desert.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think the description seems to be implying that this time someone from The Grid will be crossing over into our world as opposed to vice versa like before

The end of Legacy and the DVD short seem to strongly imply that Flynn and Tron are still alive so I assume we’ll be seeing at least one of them in this movie

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 1, 2024

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Larryb posted:

I think the description seems to be implying that this time someone from The Grid will be crossing over into our world as opposed to vice versa like before

The end of Legacy and the DVD short seem to strongly imply that Flynn and Tron are still alive so I assume we’ll be seeing at least one of them in this movie
While the idea of a Grid character coming into the real world is cool, I sure hope that doesn't mean that a large portion of the movie is set outside the computer.
Like, a major appeal of Tron is to see the cool environments. Otherwise this is just The Terminator with a different costume.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

While the idea of a Grid character coming into the real world is cool, I sure hope that doesn't mean that a large portion of the movie is set outside the computer.

It's just going to be Enchanted but with a computer person instead of a Disney princess.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That's how Legacy ends!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also about half of Digimon.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Inkspot posted:

That's how Legacy ends!

Start the petition to recognise Quorra as a Disney princess

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject apparently Megamind dropped both a sequel and a 8 episode series on Peacock recently that contains basically none of the original voice cast. Is any of it worth checking out at all (I assume not since most reviews so far seem to be panning it pretty hard)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 3, 2024

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Larryb posted:

Off the subject apparently Megamind dropped both a sequel and a 8 episode series on Peacock recently that contains basically none of the original voice cast. Is any of it worth checking out at all (most reviews so far seem to be panning it pretty hard)?

Last I saw it had a solid 0% critic reviews on rotten tomatoes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Haven't seen it but my YouTube algorithm has been suggesting multiple reviews saying it's bad so I can't imagine they're too off.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Larryb posted:

Not even a Jeff Bridges appearance? Lame (but we’ll see)

Has Jared Leto been good in anything come to think of it? It doesn’t help that he’s kind of a piece of poo poo off camera as well

Assuming the titular character appears I assume Bruce Boxleitner will be back at the very least (he’s voiced Tron in pretty much everything including the cartoon, games, and Kingdom Hearts)

Getting his rear end beat in fight club

Getting shot in the head in panic room

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Breetai posted:

Last I saw it had a solid 0% critic reviews on rotten tomatoes.

That sucks. Megamind was/is great

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

Getting his rear end beat in fight club

Getting shot in the head in panic room

Still can't decide which was the better role.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

TwoPair posted:

Haven't seen it but my YouTube algorithm has been suggesting multiple reviews saying it's bad so I can't imagine they're too off.

i got recommended a bunch of short videos pointing out how cheap the animation and...'ADR' isn't really the right word so much as 'dialogue that doesn't align with the animation', and that was just from the trailer. you know, the parts that they felt comfortable showing to sell people on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

For some reason in trailers for animated movies the audio and lipsync are frequently wrong, but in the actual show/movie they match. I dunno why