Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Where did all that cheap land come from, I wonder?

yeah no poo poo but i'm fine making the suggestion there are worse places to live in canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I love to visit Manitoba and eat delicious lobster fresh from the sea at the beautiful revitalized waterfront district while staring at huge Irvine crude oil storage tanks across the bay :)

well it’s the west so instead they ride horses and gaze upon sublime grassy plains and the brisk lakes of the Canadian Shield or something.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
speaking of NS, they’re scrapping the Coastal Protection Act. cool cool

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/coastal-protection-act-environment-tim-halman-climate-change-1.7125745

quote:

There is also a guide for property owners to consider when it comes to safeguarding their property, but nothing in it is prescriptive. The government is continuing to work on municipal flood-line mapping, but only a third of the province is mapped so far and officials said it could be 2028 before all the work is complete.

Halman dismissed the suggestion that the government doesn't want to tell people how they can or cannot develop their land.

"The overall message is, we trust Nova Scotians and we respect Nova Scotians to make an informed decision about their property."

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

looking at land in sask this alluvial plain looking majobber is kinda cool

lmao great

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah but they're making an app. So that'll work out

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The NS Tories love their mfin apps. Gotta be someone's cousin that owns an app development studio or something

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Where did all that cheap land come from, I wonder?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

according to the father of confederation it was empty when they arrived

e: that SJAM prize has to be ironic

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Feb 26, 2024

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

infernal machines posted:

according to the father of confederation it was empty when they arrived

e: that SJAM prize has to be ironic

That's right, the people who weren't here couldn't even figure how out to fully ugly up the land with one mile by one mile squares. How did they even know who owned what piece of land??

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Karach posted:

That's right, the people who weren't here couldn't even figure how out to fully ugly up the land with one mile by one mile squares. How did they even know who owned what piece of land??

Strips along the river. Barbarous.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Strips along the river. Barbarous.

Perhaps the gentleman would prefer something in a seigneurial allotment?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Karach posted:

Perhaps the gentleman would prefer something in a seigneurial allotment?

:buddy:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

cock hero flux posted:

one finger on the monkey's paw curls and you awaken in saskatchewan

my phone bill would be slightly cheaper at least

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfsRTe-GwIw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Double standard with police response 'couldn't be further from the truth': Ottawa police chief.

They cite safety issues when fascists threaten violence against the cops but it's easy to punch down on Trans and Pro Palestine movements because

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I guess make it less safe for cops to arrest trans protestors

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alberta is opting out of the national pharmacare plan because of course they would.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
for a brief few moments i was actually considering moving back to calgary

i'm glad they keep pulling poo poo like that to keep me grounded

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

I guess make it less safe for cops to arrest trans protestors

I feel like we gotta leverage cops' fear of fentanyl somehow. Figure out how to trigger that fainting (panic attack) response on contact with trans protestors.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like we gotta leverage cops' fear of fentanyl somehow. Figure out how to trigger that fainting (panic attack) response on contact with trans protestors.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

The NS Tories love their mfin apps. Gotta be someone's cousin that owns an app development studio or something

you loving know it's going to be ChatGPT generated code lmao

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Tim Bousquet would look into this stuff but from what I remember, The Chronicle Herald was bought by a failson and ran further into the ground, and lol if you think any major Canadian company is looking into what goes on east of Montreal

NE not to triple post: I wonder if you could get someone from the EFF to look into all this app poo poo, I have a strong feeling the cybersecurity on them is thin and they don't bother with any protection of PII

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
New Canadaland Backbench on the :yooge: failing Canadian higher education system.

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/84-failing-universities-101/

quote:

Canadian universities are barely scraping by. Queen’s is in a whole lot of debt, Laurentian declared insolvency in 2021, Alberta universities are slashing budgets, and McGill and Concordia are in danger over an out-of-province tuition battle.

It's... ok. The guests are a pretty useless former higher education reporter from the G&M and the president of some kind of weird university consultancy/think tank. They do correctly point out that the federal funding formula hasn't really changed, but that provincial funding of higher Ed has been frozen for ages, while costs have mysteriously ballooned over time. Which means that universities have no choice but to exploit their foreign students to make up the shortfall, freeze hiring, and download teaching onto underpaid sessionals and adjuncts. I've experienced some of this personally, having done some sessional teaching in agriculture (it sucks rear end, folks, especially if you want to do a good job).

Somehow they managed to avoid using the word neoliberalism at any point, though in fairness the think tank guy does point out that admin costs may have increased slightly disproportionately (of course the guy who makes his living selling services to universities would never impugn the honour of a university administration.)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Karach posted:

New Canadaland Backbench on the :yooge: failing Canadian higher education system.

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/84-failing-universities-101/

It's... ok. The guests are a pretty useless former higher education reporter from the G&M and the president of some kind of weird university consultancy/think tank. They do correctly point out that the federal funding formula hasn't really changed, but that provincial funding of higher Ed has been frozen for ages, while costs have mysteriously ballooned over time. Which means that universities have no choice but to exploit their foreign students to make up the shortfall, freeze hiring, and download teaching onto underpaid sessionals and adjuncts. I've experienced some of this personally, having done some sessional teaching in agriculture (it sucks rear end, folks, especially if you want to do a good job).

Somehow they managed to avoid using the word neoliberalism at any point, though in fairness the think tank guy does point out that admin costs may have increased slightly disproportionately (of course the guy who makes his living selling services to universities would never impugn the honour of a university administration.)

Didn't they already do that show on the main feed?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

COPE 27 posted:

Didn't they already do that show on the main feed?

I don't think so? It's listed as a new ep and only shows up in my Backbench feed. :shrug:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Isentropy posted:

Tim Bousquet would look into this stuff but from what I remember, The Chronicle Herald was bought by a failson and ran further into the ground, and lol if you think any major Canadian company is looking into what goes on east of Montreal

NE not to triple post: I wonder if you could get someone from the EFF to look into all this app poo poo, I have a strong feeling the cybersecurity on them is thin and they don't bother with any protection of PII

Lol the Herald is a mess, they'll probably be dead soon. And given their union busting I almost want to say good riddance

Bousquet is doing his own thing at the Halifax Examiner but I know he's working on a big project about some Hali police chief who killed himself in the 60s. But absolutely I bet there's a very real story behind the loving apps. Coastline protection app that won't have the maps they promised for like five years, healthcare app that probably stores our medical info on a Notepad document on a public library computer, like goddamn

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Isentropy posted:

you loving know it's going to be ChatGPT generated code lmao

hey this sounds more and more like an opportunity

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Arc Hammer posted:

Alberta is opting out of the national pharmacare plan because of course they would.

Anything to screw over anyone who isn't rich. It's the conservative way.

I once gave a dollar to a homeless guy when I was out with a conservative friend. My friend responded by asking me why I would give him money. It doesn't even compute that life isn't fair and everyone isn't out to scam you.

Better to be overly kind and giving and risk exploitation than to be selfish and harm others in need.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

for a brief few moments i was actually considering moving back to calgary

have you recently sustained a TBI?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Housing anxiety is enough to make anyone consider drastic measures.

Does anyone in this thread actually live in Alberta and have a handle on what the province is currently like, outside of the madhouse nonsense that leaks into the wider news?

Arc Hammer has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Feb 27, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Arc Hammer posted:

Does anyone in this thread actually live in Alberta and have a handle on what the province is currently like, outside of the madhouse nonsense that leaks into the wider news?

Yeah, housing in Calgary is even worse than you might expect with all the Ontarians recently coming here to turn a profit off their Toronto condos, rental market consolidation behind a few corporate owners, and Air B&B taking up the rest of the supply.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

nope just the existential despair of constantly being forced to move and having my rent almost double in ~7 years

it is tempting looking at a place where i have several (non-chud, to be clear) friends, a stronger network of former colleagues, and the ability to easily buy a home

the gta has not been great for me in a lot of ways but now it's getting personal so i'll leave it at that

basically,

Arc Hammer posted:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

Anything to screw over anyone who isn't rich. It's the conservative way.

I once gave a dollar to a homeless guy when I was out with a conservative friend. My friend responded by asking me why I would give him money. It doesn't even compute that life isn't fair and everyone isn't out to scam you.

Better to be overly kind and giving and risk exploitation than to be selfish and harm others in need.

The city of Barrie was going to make it illegal to give to the homeless, but I think they backed down after it made the news and basically everybody said “WTF, man?”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

nope just the existential despair of constantly being forced to move and having my rent almost double in ~7 years

it is tempting looking at a place where i have several (non-chud, to be clear) friends, a stronger network of former colleagues, and the ability to easily buy a home

the gta has not been great for me in a lot of ways but now it's getting personal so i'll leave it at that

basically,

my condolences.

i hope you find something that works for you

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah, housing in Calgary is even worse than you might expect with all the Ontarians recently coming here to turn a profit off their Toronto condos, rental market consolidation behind a few corporate owners, and Air B&B taking up the rest of the supply.

This is very accurate. Housing prices are skyrocketing dramatically YoY with no end in sight and a hugely significant amount of the supply is going to people using the real estate market as an investment-only driver. There are areas of the city (on the outskirts/inner edges of the city limits) basically unfit for any sort of living without any public transportation or even general services like grocery stores accessible by anything other than car. There are literally homes on the outer reaches of all directions of the city slapped together faster than you can even imagine by whoever the cheapest trade is possible and selling out before you can even blink.

Rental market is totally out to lunch to boot and lots of purpose-built rental are charging upwards of $1800+ per/mo for no amenity living in shoebox apartments not fit for inmates. It's something to see from the ground up as someone who grew up here locally and seeing first hand the city change in the last ~8 years or so.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's okay, you can rent out your home in calgary and rent in red deer. and the guy in red deer can rent out his home and rent in grand prairie. and the guy in grand prairie can rent out his home and rent in zama lake. everyone makes money

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I have a barn and several grain bins available for human habitation. Excellent rates, bedding straw provided gratis (or cedar shavings for a modest upcharge).

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Holy gently caress UPS is poo poo. A goon sent me less than 20 ancient warhammer models, I got hit with $35 of GST (fine), and $90 in brokerage fees. That is absurd, how can you justify a brokerage fee multiple times the actual tax being levied?! I'm actually going to write my MP about this. I'm in PEI so it will actually get read and responded to.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

Why tf is that something they're allowed to do? If the alberta NDP has any sense they can turn that into a slam dunk election issue (lmao)

And the feds would do well to force it on alberta somehow (also lmao)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I've never understood brokerage, like is this some government appointed appraiser who sits at the border pulling numbers from a hat? I know a business owner who will drive from Montreal to the US border for every shipment because he's somehow allowed to be his own broker. Broker brained system