Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I'm torn, if I was feeling adventurous I think Vash must have quite an interesting life that we don't see, so it'd be cool to be someone like her. On the other hand, it would be nice to live with my every whim satisfied at a moments notice, being a spoiled and pampered higher functionary in a rich, loyal, Dominion world way out in the back of the quadrant, so far removed from any conflict such that the Jem'Hadar are just a ghost story that parents use to scare their children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*me, a Federation citizen on Earth, lounging on soft furniture while my magical machine keeps a steady stream of sausages going constantly into my mouth* these Maquis are right, the government is keeping us down. *replicates huge obnoxious Maquis flag to hang off the front of my house*

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'd also be the ship's sociologist and I'd administer surveys all day until I got fragged in the first Borg encounter

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I wonder what sociologists do in a future with no inequality or real social problems. That would mean they actually have to the whole social science thing. Or everyone is just a xeno-sociologist. Lita from DS9 was, Bashir says so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

redshirt posted:

If you could have any posting or position within the Star Trek universe, what do you choose?

I'd like to be some mid level researcher on a science vessel exploring quasars or some such.

Nice and predictable and safe and interesting science...

Kind of an actual redshirt choice; This is how you become the setup for a "missing ship" episode for the Enterprise, (Original or -D), to investigate and discover the Quasar is sentient and studied your missing ship and crew by dismantling them at the molecular level.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kind of an actual redshirt choice; This is how you become the setup for a "missing ship" episode for the Enterprise, (Original or -D), to investigate and discover the Quasar is sentient and studied your missing ship and crew by dismantling them at the molecular level.

Nope, sorry, my research has been going on very well and predictably. Every day, just checking the scopes and feeds, working on the writeup, playing pickleball at night.....

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You only become a "search for the missing ship" episode in the 23rd century if you discover a mysterious planet that's exactly like Earth

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well yeah, the crews that don't find a conveniently livable nearby planet simply die.

naem
May 29, 2011

Randabis posted:

I wonder if there’s like Star Trek FD that runs around putting out space fires or civilian residences etc. I’d be the dude controlling the giant water cannon and maybe we could have special suits with water rifles for the smaller ones.

I bet there are hipster retro firefighters who use vintage trucks and hoses as a hobby

the mackkquiẽcssè probably have a whole planet dedicated to it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I wonder what sociologists do in a future with no inequality or real social problems. That would mean they actually have to the whole social science thing. Or everyone is just a xeno-sociologist. Lita from DS9 was, Bashir says so.

They can study ennui. In a culture where all material needs are met some folks are going to turn out like rich failsons of the past who, freed from needing effort for survival, just lay around doing nothing and being sad. How does society to give everyone a sense of purpose? Especially people who aren't exceptional in any way?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

redshirt posted:

If you could have any posting or position within the Star Trek universe, what do you choose?

I'd like to be some mid level researcher on a science vessel exploring quasars or some such.

Nice and predictable and safe and interesting science...

Tbh my real world career, as an underpaid academic, would be pretty great if I lived in a society that didn’t use money.

You can’t buy a PhD, after all, and I’d like to imagine mine would have greater worth in a society where people worked to better themselves and the rest of humanity.

Plus, as much as I’d love to teach aliens about Ancient Roman and Greek poo poo, the real fun would be academic conferences with scholars of ancient literature from other planets—assuming I didn’t get abducted by Romulans on the way, or fall asleep during a paper session on Cardassian Repetitive Epic.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Tbh my real world career, as an underpaid academic, would be pretty great if I lived in a society that didn’t use money.

You can’t buy a PhD, after all, and I’d like to imagine mine would have greater worth in a society where people worked to better themselves and the rest of humanity.

Plus, as much as I’d love to teach aliens about Ancient Roman and Greek poo poo, the real fun would be academic conferences with scholars of ancient literature from other planets—assuming I didn’t get abducted by Romulans on the way, or fall asleep during a paper session on Cardassian Repetitive Epic.

I have to imagine that truthfully you’d instead be happy for your PhD to be worthless in the 24th century, because if it’s valued then that means your field of study hasn’t advanced in 400 years

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

They can study ennui. In a culture where all material needs are met some folks are going to turn out like rich failsons of the past who, freed from needing effort for survival, just lay around doing nothing and being sad. How does society to give everyone a sense of purpose? Especially people who aren't exceptional in any way?

I mean, real answer? By not putting any barriers in their way - like poverty or the ever-present threat of starvation, death from exposure, police brutality, traffic incidents, etc. - and giving them all the resources they need during childhood development and young adulthood to nurture their interests and find a creative outlet. The overwhelming majority of people, even non-exceptional ones, find ways to occupy their time or have interests and hobbies. Ones which they cannot pursue, in our present society, because of the former; the practical exigencies of living in a world where your well-being and the means of your very existence depend on selling your labor for a wage. Those who are privileged enough not to need to do so nevertheless exist in a society surrounded by those who do, surrounded and molded by a material culture and brought up within a cultural context that supports this arrangement. That context bears on you, and warps your perceptions, your aspirations, and goals.

So, in short, even rich failsons exist in that sad state because they're shaped by the system that we live in. A post-scarcity society like the Federation wouldn't be the equivalent of turning everyone into a Saudi prince, because the steps needed to get there entail fundamental sociological, economic, and cultural changes that would entirely obviate the ennui and anomie experienced by the idle rich.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean Federation children are raised being brainwashed to believe that the ultimate.goal is humanities betterment and self improvement.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

How does society to give everyone a sense of purpose? Especially people who aren't exceptional in any way?

Where do you think the federation colonists come from?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well yeah, the crews that don't find a conveniently livable nearby planet simply die.

The "beam the whole crew down from the busted ship to the nearest habitable planet" strategy didn't work out too well for the Constellation. :rip:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CainFortea posted:

Where do you think the federation colonists come from?

Checks out. The second weirdest thing in Sub Rosa was the Scottish cosplay colony. Moved a bunch of rocks from earth to Caldos IV just so they could get that authentic Scotland experience.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I'd like to see the rest of that planet, did they recreate the rest of actual Scotland or just have a bunch of isolated fantasy Highland retreats? Is there a Glasgow city centre at 4am cosplay area?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Cookie Cutter posted:

I'd like to see the rest of that planet, did they recreate the rest of actual Scotland or just have a bunch of isolated fantasy Highland retreats? Is there a Glasgow city centre at 4am cosplay area?

Pictured, the Green and surroundings:

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 26, 2024

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Squiggle posted:

Pictured, the Green and surroundings:

Data: Captain, we have Gomtuu's genitals on screen.

Picard *sweating*: Magnify.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/I0RTeT5.mp4

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

DrSunshine posted:

I mean, real answer? By not putting any barriers in their way - like poverty or the ever-present threat of starvation, death from exposure, police brutality, traffic incidents, etc. - and giving them all the resources they need during childhood development and young adulthood to nurture their interests and find a creative outlet. The overwhelming majority of people, even non-exceptional ones, find ways to occupy their time or have interests and hobbies. Ones which they cannot pursue, in our present society, because of the former; the practical exigencies of living in a world where your well-being and the means of your very existence depend on selling your labor for a wage. Those who are privileged enough not to need to do so nevertheless exist in a society surrounded by those who do, surrounded and molded by a material culture and brought up within a cultural context that supports this arrangement. That context bears on you, and warps your perceptions, your aspirations, and goals.

So, in short, even rich failsons exist in that sad state because they're shaped by the system that we live in. A post-scarcity society like the Federation wouldn't be the equivalent of turning everyone into a Saudi prince, because the steps needed to get there entail fundamental sociological, economic, and cultural changes that would entirely obviate the ennui and anomie experienced by the idle rich.

all this. we think capitalism brings struggle which bears meaning, and thus the ends justify the means, but it's more likely that meaning can be found much more easily without the looming fear of starvation and homelessness hanging over oneself because the decisions one makes in those circumstances aren't going to be decisions regarding emotional and personal fulfillment, but regarding survival.

is society really any better for the amount of people who hate their jobs and barely do a few hours of work/find ways to gently caress off? right now most people spend their time trying to figure out how to do the least amount of work possible for their contracted terms, and rightly so. is that really the sign of a functional society where people are finding meaning and fulfillment in their work?

Star Trek pretty clearly posits that as long as a society is still just trying to survive, they can't really devote enough time and energy to figuring out travel to the stars for the long haul, or making first contact and be accepted with the Federation. It takes being post-scarcity to move 'up' enough as a culture to get there.

The only way anyone can afford to be a working scientist in our current setup is if the science is for a very specific sellable purpose, and even then there's deadlines and budget constraints. Scientists aren't free to just....do science, they have to find an employer who wants science done for a specific purpose and then do that thing. If they don't do that thing, they're let go.

Learning that all of modern paleontology is just rich people who can afford to have a job with no real income, or struggling but poor scholars doing it for the love of it, and no in-between was a real bummer for me. You don't even get paid for finding a skeleton or anything, you're donating that to whatever museum, so it's fully you have to convince someone who has disposable income to be willing to pay for your forays into bone-finding with absolutely no ROI, just the joy of discovery. How the gently caress anyone manages to make that work in 2024 is mind-boggling (they don't really - there's fewer and fewer folks getting that degree nowadays)

In the world of Star Trek, you could just go looking for dinosaur bones because they exist to be found. You wouldn't have to have it all hinge on the benevolence of a rich person with extra income, just so you can eat and be housed while doing so. This doesn't mean that a post-scarcity society would be perfect or that everyone could pursue their dreams with no barriers, but it would certainly destroy a lot of said barriers.

I honestly think we can't fully imagine what a society like that would be like, and we can't know the problems until we get there. Trek is like, our best effort at that and it's still kinda cute and quaint at times about it.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 26, 2024

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apollodorus posted:

But you just know you'd be on the Enterprise on your way to one of those conferences when you run into Spacefaring Sparta planet or Apparently Real Circe or some poo poo like that -- it happened at least three times to Kirk's Enterprise that I can remember offhand. Picard would be all, "Mr. Apollodorus, I realize you are a civilian aboard my ship and I cannot order you to do anything, but I am merely a dilettante in the field of Classics, and we need an expert. Can I count on you to join the Away Team? I assure you that every precaution will be taken to guarantee your safety." Now you've got to choose between being the academic who refused to study "real Classics" when given the chance any other academic would kill for, not to mention letting down renowned amateur archaeologist Jean-Luc Picard, or being kicked down an ahistorical bottomless hole or being turned into livestock or getting mpreged by a shower of gold (I'm assuming on the last one from your nom de plume).

Besides, to add insult to injury, you're not even really needed on the mission. Data took 3.4 seconds before beaming down to learn Latin, Ancient Greek, English, Italian, French, and German (the last four so he could study the secondary scholarship), memorize the corpus and full commentary, and figure out Linear A was based on a dialect of Etruscan spoken by a group of Italic colonists. He's going to publish a paper on that when he gets back to the ship, and mention you in his acknowledgements "for bringing this long-standing mystery to my attention."

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Data is also gonna get laid and u won’t

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's fair I'm not fully functional

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Computer, create a sex partner capable of out-banging Data

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Great you just remade lore.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

B4 wasn't perfect but Soong programmed him to eat rear end like a champion.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

all this. we think capitalism brings struggle which bears meaning, and thus the ends justify the means, but it's more likely that meaning can be found much more easily without the looming fear of starvation and homelessness hanging over oneself because the decisions one makes in those circumstances aren't going to be decisions regarding emotional and personal fulfillment, but regarding survival.

Imagine how rich, how fulfilling, how nurturing, how joyful childhood and adolescence and young adulthood in a post-scarcity society like the Federation must be! The reason why everyone seems to prattle on about the philosophy of self- and societal- betterment is because their beliefs must actually reflect their upbringing and social structure. Jake and Picard really believe it because it's how they've grown up their entire lives.

Instead of being shuffled into some kind of human factory where you're forced to memorize by rote and obey strict hierarchical rules, elementary school and high school in the Federation must be a place where every child is taught basic social skills and general knowledge, but also is encouraged at every turn to explore and nurture their interests. No homework! No being punished for poor essays or memorizing multiplication tables or for speaking out. Instead, childhood must be a place of exploration and growth, guided by compassionate and caring teachers who are able to do so out of the sheer love of pedagogy. Your teachers, throughout your childhood, would actually care about you, as a person, and be able to give 110% of their being to giving you the best education, as they would not be afraid of losing their job, or their home, or paying their bills.

There would be counselors and mentors for every child. They would perhaps follow something like the Montessori technique, where the teacher observes children, see what the child is interested in, and then guides and instructs their learning appropriately. This process would go on through high school and into the college years. All the Starfleet Academy cadets got there because they all consciously chose and aspired to be Starfleet officers, because it was through their education and experiences in childhood that made them realize that their calling was Starfleet. And of course, there aren't really any consequences for your literal, physical existence if that decision doesn't pan out. People are still growing and maturing in their twenties, and the process goes on throughout life.

Perhaps people drop out of Starfleet Academy, or a bit after, and decide to grow raisins in Modesto. Or start a Cajun restaurant! Or discover a love of xeno-archaeology. I think the evidence in TNG and other shows seems to support this. Look at how supportive everyone in Lower Decks was when Sam wanted to try putting on blue and red shirts or join Security instead of being in Engineering. It's a small vignette, but I think it hints at how life must be like in the Federation at large. We can only imagine that people in civilian life also go through such self-seeking, and are equally supported by their mentors and peers.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Endless Trash posted:

I have to imagine that truthfully you’d instead be happy for your PhD to be worthless in the 24th century, because if it’s valued then that means your field of study hasn’t advanced in 400 years

In this scenario I imagine myself to be a person of the 24th century—was that not the question?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Admiralty Flag posted:

But you just know you'd be on the Enterprise on your way to one of those conferences when you run into Spacefaring Sparta planet or Apparently Real Circe or some poo poo like that -- it happened at least three times to Kirk's Enterprise that I can remember offhand. Picard would be all, "Mr. Apollodorus, I realize you are a civilian aboard my ship and I cannot order you to do anything, but I am merely a dilettante in the field of Classics, and we need an expert. Can I count on you to join the Away Team? I assure you that every precaution will be taken to guarantee your safety." Now you've got to choose between being the academic who refused to study "real Classics" when given the chance any other academic would kill for, not to mention letting down renowned amateur archaeologist Jean-Luc Picard, or being kicked down an ahistorical bottomless hole or being turned into livestock or getting mpreged by a shower of gold (I'm assuming on the last one from your nom de plume).

Besides, to add insult to injury, you're not even really needed on the mission. Data took 3.4 seconds before beaming down to learn Latin, Ancient Greek, English, Italian, French, and German (the last four so he could study the secondary scholarship), memorize the corpus and full commentary, and figure out Linear A was based on a dialect of Etruscan spoken by a group of Italic colonists. He's going to publish a paper on that when he gets back to the ship, and mention you in his acknowledgements "for bringing this long-standing mystery to my attention."

I could handle myself on an away mission, I know anbo-jyutsu.

But if Data is there then actual artificial intelligence has been achieved and the fundamental premise of humans bothering to become experts has been called into question.

So my fallback position is that I’d build boats in the NW of France and get drunk on Chateau Picard all the time.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

In this scenario I imagine myself to be a person of the 24th century—was that not the question?

I took it as if you actually somehow ended up in the 24th century, but you’re probably right

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

As long as school isn't like the Science Academy learning bubbles

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Imagine how rich, how fulfilling, how nurturing, how joyful childhood and adolescence and young adulthood in a post-scarcity society like the Federation must be! The reason why everyone seems to prattle on about the philosophy of self- and societal- betterment is because their beliefs must actually reflect their upbringing and social structure. Jake and Picard really believe it because it's how they've grown up their entire lives.

Instead of being shuffled into some kind of human factory where you're forced to memorize by rote and obey strict hierarchical rules, elementary school and high school in the Federation must be a place where every child is taught basic social skills and general knowledge, but also is encouraged at every turn to explore and nurture their interests. No homework! No being punished for poor essays or memorizing multiplication tables or for speaking out. Instead, childhood must be a place of exploration and growth, guided by compassionate and caring teachers who are able to do so out of the sheer love of pedagogy. Your teachers, throughout your childhood, would actually care about you, as a person, and be able to give 110% of their being to giving you the best education, as they would not be afraid of losing their job, or their home, or paying their bills.

There would be counselors and mentors for every child. They would perhaps follow something like the Montessori technique, where the teacher observes children, see what the child is interested in, and then guides and instructs their learning appropriately. This process would go on through high school and into the college years. All the Starfleet Academy cadets got there because they all consciously chose and aspired to be Starfleet officers, because it was through their education and experiences in childhood that made them realize that their calling was Starfleet. And of course, there aren't really any consequences for your literal, physical existence if that decision doesn't pan out. People are still growing and maturing in their twenties, and the process goes on throughout life.

Perhaps people drop out of Starfleet Academy, or a bit after, and decide to grow raisins in Modesto. Or start a Cajun restaurant! Or discover a love of xeno-archaeology. I think the evidence in TNG and other shows seems to support this. Look at how supportive everyone in Lower Decks was when Sam wanted to try putting on blue and red shirts or join Security instead of being in Engineering. It's a small vignette, but I think it hints at how life must be like in the Federation at large. We can only imagine that people in civilian life also go through such self-seeking, and are equally supported by their mentors and peers.

counterpoint: what if none of that was true because i don't like it? i'd much prefer that the federation was a neoliberal hellscape culturally indistinguishable from the modern us. i have a pulitzer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

All that sounds hard to write, why can't I just write what I know and make it modern day life but with space.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yea Sisko and Jake 100% believe in Federation ideals. When Jake tells Sisko he doesn't want to join Starfleet and instead wants to be a writer he's encouraged to do so by Sisko.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I just want a space alien to give my brain some head to make my art extra good. I'm not asking a lot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They just let Keiko who's a loving botanist start a school on the station and no one was like "Hey so what's your qualifications for teaching children?".

They were just like "Yeah sure go for it. What the gently caress do we care"

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Hollismason posted:

They just let Keiko who's a loving botanist start a school on the station and no one was like "Hey so what's your qualifications for teaching children?".

They were just like "Yeah sure go for it. What the gently caress do we care"

The school bombing was an inside job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She's got a doctorate, I'm sure she can handle a couple of dumbass kids