Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

hearing they patched out aerith’s “steel sky” closing line in R1 to a more literal translation that sucks rear end (both the new line and the act of changing it)

When did this happen. I just finished Remake two days ago and she said steel sky line the same as ever. That is lame as hell if they actually did that lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kongming posted:

When did this happen. I just finished Remake two days ago and she said steel sky line the same as ever. That is lame as hell if they actually did that lol.

two days ago, in fact!

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Boo. Boo I say!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If someone misses out on it that's their problem, read a book

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hyped for this but I want to get a quick replay of Remake done... It seems like reviewers are saying 50 hours which for normal people is probably 70+ if you enjoy the mini games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

plus it had some nice poetical flourish and served as a touching metaphor for leaving behind the safe confines of what was known and familiar, matching the aim of the remake itself

bad move, bad form

I mean you just proved why they changed it, because the issue isn't "the sky is unfamiliar." It is "in the world of FF7, the sky is where bad things come from, at least according to the Cetra." Aerith doesn't dislike the sky because she isn't used to it, she dislikes it because from the Planet's viewpoint things that come from the sky are a threat.

Ulio posted:

Hyped for this but I want to get a quick replay of Remake done... It seems like reviewers are saying 50 hours which for normal people is probably 70+ if you enjoy the mini games.

My first playthrough was roughly 95 hours, and that was with a fair amount of the minigame stuff on the table.

Unless you mean Remake in which case you can easily do it in 40.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

steel sky was a cool line

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

My replay of Remake took me a little less than 30 hours and that was doing all the side quests and mini-games, as well as all the battle intel minus Bahamut since mastering all the magic materia is pretty much impossible without the triple AP gain from beating the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I mean you just proved why they changed it, because the issue isn't "the sky is unfamiliar." It is "in the world of FF7, the sky is where bad things come from, at least according to the Cetra." Aerith doesn't dislike the sky because she isn't used to it, she dislikes it because from the Planet's viewpoint things that come from the sky are a threat.

That's worse

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kongming posted:

My replay of Remake took me a little less than 30 hours and that was doing all the side quests and mini-games, as well as all the battle intel minus Bahamut since mastering all the magic materia is pretty much impossible without the triple AP gain from beating the game.

For what it's worth Rebirth is better about this. AP gain is more friendly the longer the game goes on and while there are a few abilities that have ridiculous amounts of AP requirements you also can get Level Boost Materia, which instantly raises the level of the attached Materia by 1 (and the cost-heavy ones usually only have 3 levels or so) or Earrings which are fully leveled version of Materias that take up your accessory slot. Basically no grinding required unless you want to have a Mastered version of everything in the game for some reason.

Arist posted:

That's worse

I mean better or worse doesn't really matter. It's literally relevant to a plot thing.

I feel like people are viewing this as "They changed it to be bastards! How dare they ruin the thing I was familiar with" and not "This line comes up again in Rebirth, in a different context, where the original translation doesn't actually make sense for the line, so for consistency they changed the two lines to be the same."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 26, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think patching in a change to the final line of a game four years after its release and five days before its sequel comes out is the opposite of making it "consistent," personally

The overwhelming majority of the people who are going to play Rebirth this week saw the original line, not the new one, so even if the new translation recurs in Rebirth most people won't have that context

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 26, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
not to mention doing it in such a stiff and artless way. persona 5-rear end localization

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
What a weird thing to do. As seen on this page you could finish a Remake replay a week before the new game comes out and never see the change lol.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I think patching in a change to the final line of a game four years after its release and five days before its sequel comes out is the opposite of making it "consistent," personally

The overwhelming majority of the people who are going to play Rebirth this week saw the original line, not the new one, so even if the new translation recurs in Rebirth most people won't have that context

The line is consistent in Japanese. It was not in English. Now it is consistent in both. I think you have to really stretching to not get that is what was meant by that.

welcome posted:

What a weird thing to do. As seen on this page you could finish a Remake replay a week before the new game comes out and never see the change lol.

The line comes up against in Rebirth. (I could be misremembering but I think it may even come up in a flashback as well.)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Reminds me that I should play Beneath a Steel Sky sometime.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not consistent for the millions of people with no idea that change ever happened, dude

These are the perils of translation in serialized works. I'm sorry, but you kind of just have to let some things go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

It's not consistent for the millions of people with no idea that change ever happened, dude

These are the perils of translation in serialized works. I'm sorry, but you kind of just have to let some things go.

... are you for serious right now?

Because we're talking about Final Fantasy 7 and in particular the character named Aerith.

Edit:
Like just to be clear here "it was like this and you can never change it" is a bad argument to begin with, but trying to make it about Final Fantasy 7 (which is not titled Final Fantasy 4 in the US) and a line from Aerith (who is not named Aeris) is bewildering.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 26, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

this game is playable this week

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I loving hope so

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I will be MIA starting Wednesday night and no force on earth will be able to contact me.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well it’s ruined now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

... are you for serious right now?

Because we're talking about Final Fantasy 7 and in particular the character named Aerith.

FF7 was not serialized. If OG Final Fantasy 7 came out in three parts and the character's name was changed from Aeris to Aerith between parts 1 and 2, do you not see how that would be jarring? But also, "her name is Aerith now" is a fairly small thing to make the audience accept in the grand scheme. The new Like a Dragon game changes the spelling of the name of at least one character from 7 and you just move on from it. The problem is that they're doing this so bizarrely late into the game's lifecycle that there's no possible way to make that line work as a callback for the majority of the audience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

FF7 was not serialized. If OG Final Fantasy 7 came out in three parts and the character's name was changed from Aeris to Aerith between parts 1 and 2, do you not see how that would be jarring? But also, "her name is Aerith now" is a fairly small thing to make the audience accept in the grand scheme. The new Like a Dragon game changes the spelling of the name of at least one character from 7 and you just move on from it. The problem is that they're doing this so bizarrely late into the game's lifecycle that there's no possible way to make that line work as a callback for the majority of the audience.

The OG Final Fantasy 7 was the sequel to Final Fantasy 3 in the US.

Hell, you literally pointed out the same thing happening in Infinite Wealth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If I published a novel, and then announced a sequel, and then put out a revised edition of the original one week before the sequel came out that changes some crucial phrasing relevant to the sequel, I think that would be confusing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pre-order canceled

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

If I published a novel, and then announced a sequel, and then put out a revised edition of the original one week before the sequel came out that changes some crucial phrasing relevant to the sequel, I think that would be confusing

Jurassic Park and Lost World literally did this (though in that case it was just a retcon). Other books have too. Manga often have to go back and adjust translations because it is serialized.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I liked the "steel sky" line. even after four years, I had a strong recollection of it. I don't consider the meaning of her saying she preferred the plate overhead to be particularly ambiguous

I hope the transliteration in general in Rebirth is good, that kind of makes me worry

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm so deeply unbothered by the line change but I do think they should've pushed the out before the majority of people had completed their replays.

Was trying to figure out if the patch had done anything else and under thousands of posts about Tifa censorship I found a nugget of info that they updated the Dualsense vibration so that's... neat.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

ImpAtom posted:

The line comes up against in Rebirth. (I could be misremembering but I think it may even come up in a flashback as well.)

That's fine, but if consistency is super important it's a really weird time to patch it because practically nobody is going to see it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Jurassic Park and Lost World literally did this (though in that case it was just a retcon). Other books have too. Manga often have to go back and adjust translations because it is serialized.

you seem deeply committed to misunderstanding my point

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

ImpAtom posted:

They didn't steal my paperback and cross out the part where Ian Malcolm died though. It feels weird!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Trails games did a name fix and patch (Zane->Zin) for a party member years after the first game was localized.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am excited to play this game but also I am a giant baby who can't handle any sort of change. Is this the game for me???

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think this is a huge deal, it's a bit of a bummer because the original line was really good but that's it. All I'm saying is that if the justification for changing the line is it comes back in Rebirth, then they waited way too loving long to make that change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

you seem deeply committed to misunderstanding my point

I mean your point appears to be "They can't change things if people saw it already, that's bad" despite, again, discussing a game which has already done that, in a franchise which has already done that, in an industry which has already done that.

And again, we're discussing FF7, a game which literally added plot and changed characters between releases in different countries.

welcome posted:

They didn't steal my paperback and cross out the part where Ian Malcolm died though. It feels weird!

Video games change and adjust things all the time, including lines of dialogue. The version of FF7Remake that you can play even before this patch is not the same as the version of FF7 Remake that came out at launch.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Augus posted:

pre-order canceled

Same. How loving dare you, Square. :argh:

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

ImpAtom posted:

Video games change and adjust things all the time, including lines of dialogue. The version of FF7Remake that you can play even before this patch is not the same as the version of FF7 Remake that came out at launch.

Oh no poo poo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I guess I am just absolutely bewildered that this one line changing is now a sign the translators are bad and the game has a 'persona-5 rear end translation' and in general it feels like an absolutely insane response to me over an incredibly trivial line fix. It isn't even just "Oh, I liked the original line better" but actively an insult and a sign the game's translation is going to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

That had been an issue for a while, the line doesn't actually convey what Aerith was saying in that scene. She wasn't saying she missed Midgar, she was saying the wide open boundless sky scared her (because to her the planet is a safe and comfortable thing while the sky represents danger, since to the Cetra the sky is where alien dangers like Jenova came from.)

I think the original line is fine but there's stuff in Rebirth which kind of emphasizes "The sky is not necessarily a comforting/happy view for Aerith the way it may be to others" so I get why they reworked it.

I think it's a combination of this and the more metaphorical angle of "the freedom (of not knowing what's going to happen) is scary," so it basically conveys both things.

I don't know what the new line is, but I feel like there's probably some good way to have her say "I don't like the sky" in a way that doesn't sound weird/stiff.

Arist posted:

If you left the line the same, whatever reference to it exists in Rebirth would still be jarring. There's no option here that "maintains consistency" in all situations (though with the change it at least maintains consistency for people who play the game in the future). How is it making things worse for the people who won't see the new line? They'd be missing whatever reference(s) exist in Rebirth regardless.

I'm kind of baffled people care about it so much to begin with. It seems like a weird backlash against the very concept of "mistakes existing in dubbing," like an overreaction to people who are overly purist/anti-dub.