Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i love going off on my own to collect samples and destroy bases. its incredibly satisfying to solo assault a large base and level that bitch with 5 different call-ins

i do keep an eye on my teammates activity to make sure they arent getting overwhelmed tho. Feels great to clear a few bases and then bring hell with me when i unexpectedly come to the aid of my pinned down comrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i love going off on my own to collect samples and destroy bases. its incredibly satisfying to solo assault a large base and level that bitch with 5 different call-ins

i do keep an eye on my teammates activity to make sure they arent getting overwhelmed tho. Feels great to clear a few bases and then bring hell with me when i unexpectedly come to the aid of my pinned down comrades

drop a napalm air strike on a bunch of bugs, jet pack over the flames, and launch an EAT into a charger's rear end in a top hat

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i have a problem with the autocannon

when i say i have a problem with it, i mean it in the way that alcoholics have a problem with drinking. i cant get enough of it, ive barely used any other weapon

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's the best pair of eagle call-ins? I'm using Cluster Bomb right now and it's great but can't hit buildings.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Eagle air strike is like cluster bomb but hits buildings with less strikes per reload.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

with how powerful a couple well placed stratagems can be combined with how dangerous they can be to teammates or prevent good placement if you try to avoid friendly fire, it does feel like splitting into two groups of two is often better than staying together for efficiency and mobility to avoid getting stuck in forever fights. or (a bit riskier) a team of three with one little freak running around doing drive by terrorism to faraway bases.

The worst is when Ole Rambo dies and drops 18 samples in Timbuktu, so yeah fireteams of two seems ideal

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Aphrodite posted:

What's the best pair of eagle call-ins? I'm using Cluster Bomb right now and it's great but can't hit buildings.

Airstrike / Cluster Bomb (napalm if I'm fighting bugs) are my favorites, 500kg bomb for if I know I'm fighting titans.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Aphrodite posted:

I've been using the regular airstrike with the 500 kg bomb (with maxed Eagle upgrades, so I get two 500kg bombs before it needs to rearm) and I've found it to be the most versatile calldowns when paired with a railgun.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Arrath posted:

The worst is when Ole Rambo dies and drops 18 samples in Timbuktu, so yeah fireteams of two seems ideal

this is another reason i try to stay in the same general area of my teammates when im off on my own. Not too bad to hop over a few squares to pick up the lost samples, but yeah, hoofing it across the map in a walk of shame is the worst

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It is useful to split up sometimes since the enemies seem to have some limit on how much attention they can give, so if your allies are raising a ruckus somewhere else you can usually get a lot done solo without triggering any alarms.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

what is the best method to get super uranium? my friend group is not as frothing at the mouth for more helldivers the way i am so im doing higher level stuff with randos.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Not only pointless, it's actively detrimental because stamina and speed penalties are working. still didn't stop me from buying the hilarious fatman armor that was in the super store yesterday for when they do work

I bought the same, but in my case, I did it because I still hadn't noticed how the premium battlepass and the super credits worked. Ops! I now to have accumulate 400 more super credits to unlock it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

WoodrowSkillson posted:

what is the best method to get super uranium? my friend group is not as frothing at the mouth for more helldivers the way i am so im doing higher level stuff with randos.

as long as you're doing suicide mission or above you should be getting it, it helps to do missions with longer sightlines and keep an eye out for the distinctive rock it spawns at, there's only one spawn point per mission so you just have to find that and then hopefully extract without dropping it down a hole or whatever

i mostly just farm it with randos and if you're lucky they'll be after the same thing you are and are competent so it shouldn't be too painful

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It only spawns next to a specific rock that looks the same in every mission:

efb

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I like to Rambo off because it makes me feel like Max from that bit in Fury Road where he goes off into the fog and an explosion happens.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I like to solo play because i hear the comms from my 3 doofus teammates "bug breach detected! reinforcements incoming! orbital launched! helldivers never die! reinforcements incoming!" and wonder what theyre doing or thinking as they see a string of "nest eradicated\stalker lair destroyed\samples collected\seaf artillery online\radar destroyed" etc as i go be effective before rejoining them

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

1stGear posted:

I like to Rambo off because it makes me feel like Max from that bit in Fury Road where he goes off into the fog and an explosion happens.

Yeah, this is my feel too

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

doing SEAF artillery solo sounds miserable

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
What do SEAF SAM sites do? The voiceover says something similar to when you find a SEAF artillery base, implying that it will actually help you.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

frosteh posted:

What do SEAF SAM sites do? The voiceover says something similar to when you find a SEAF artillery base, implying that it will actually help you.

It would be cool if they blew dropships out of the sky

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arrath posted:

It would be cool if they blew dropships out of the sky

They do

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sick

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

They also count as strategems (probably bugged) so I got the "25 kills with a single strategem" cheevo with a Sam site.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The SAM site doesn’t destroy every drop ship before they drop off troops, but they get enough to make a noticeable difference.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Holy poo poo. That's Jason Helldiver.

https://packaged-media.redd.it/jgcj...397c4008888#t=0
Stolen from reddit.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

This ideally frees up the other 3 to hit the medium or heavy sites

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Cluster Bomb is great early on but gets less potent as more and more heavily armored enemies show up, but if the rest of your load out is set up for dealing with large armored targets it can be a good way to handle chaff, especially with its high amount of call downs per rearm.

Airstrike is probably the most versatile, can deal with both buildings and heavily armored enemies but still has enough spread to make it work vs groups of enemies without killing your whole team

Napalm is a solid option for bug missions, call it down on a bug breach after the first wave appears and it'll do a great job holding down the position. Not recommended for bot missions.

110mm Rocket Pods is a good heavy armor piercing option. Excellent for destroying tanks and hulks, good for damaging bile titans, less useful vs chargers since they're so mobile. Excellent take for bot missions, and viable for bug missions if you don't have the orbital laser/railcannon

500kg bombs are your all purpose heavy duty Thing Removers. They are great for destroying bases, especially Automaton ones, and for obliterating tanks and bile titans. One thing to note is that the 500kg stratagem gets substantially better once you get the final hanger upgrade, since 1->2 uses is a bigger deal than 2->3 or 4->5.

Strafing Run is the cheapest and weakest of the stratagems, and smoke I guess might be useful for solo stealth stuff? Idk I've literally never seen it used

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
SAM sites are my favorite secondary. If only because on a high difficulty bot run they change one part of the map from OHGODOHGODOHGOD to manageable

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My friend brings smoke on a lotta bot missions and it’s surprisingly helpful. I think? Does seem to give them a hard time and help control the battlefield, especially in situations where you can’t air strike for fear of killing friendlies.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

what do SAM sites do anyway? I thought they were just a do-nothing seconday objective

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wish the Strafing Run was better. Either more uses or the ability to put some serious hurt on a charger or Hulk, even if it doesn't completely kill them.

I mean, look at these guns. I want BRRRRRRRRRRRRTTT to be satisfying. The Eagle is a freaking Space A-10, don't let it's main gun be so anemic...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hey mom its 420 posted:

what do SAM sites do anyway? I thought they were just a do-nothing seconday objective

They blow dropships out of the sky in the vicinity automatically

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

ijyt posted:

have you tried asking in vc?

VC, no. I regularly ask in chat and put up map markers and they just ignore them most of the time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hey mom its 420 posted:

they shoot nearby dropships out of the sky if they’re friendly

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Holy poo poo. That's Jason Helldiver.

https://packaged-media.redd.it/jgcj...397c4008888#t=0
Stolen from reddit.

That's rad as poo poo

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

The way it cuts out before impact has me worried the mission did not succeed :ohdear:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wish the Strafing Run was better. Either more uses or the ability to put some serious hurt on a charger or Hulk, even if it doesn't completely kill them.

I mean, look at these guns. I want BRRRRRRRRRRRRTTT to be satisfying. The Eagle is a freaking Space A-10, don't let it's main gun be so anemic...

A lot of the eagle runs feel anemic because it seems like they just plain don't dump enough booms. Only airstrike seems like it's particularly destructive, even if the other ones do a lot of damage (like cluster bomb).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

you can quick carry the shells by spamming use on them you will walk fast while picking up and dropping a shell. Makes it much easier to do solo.

I like doing it solo because my teammates did it once and MAYBE it was bad rng on shell generation but they loaded all smoke \ static field so it was useless

Gimme dat control

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Strafing runs are quite good for removing patrols before they get backup if you can line it up right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

1stGear posted:

It's fun playing with mates when you do something off mission and someone says lol what was that