Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I don’t remember the first apology but it couldn’t be that much worse than this one.

I think there’s a chance for a third video apology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Solitair posted:

He makes an interesting point using Maus, pointing out that Vladek, the main Holocaust survivor and the author's dad, is still depicted as a racist rear end in a top hat despite living through the worst possible consequences of bigotry, and that real people who aren't fictional characters are not guaranteed to learn anything or become better people just because they endured immense suffering.

He also connects this to fascism, that there has been a rising tide of thought that frames survivors of past atrocity and their descendants as inherently stronger/more righteous and correct/more capable of judging and understanding good and evil/more capable of self defense/etc than others and especially those that died. (This connects fascist movements and thought throughout history, such as how the strongest supporters of the third reich were World War 1 veterans who had lived through the horrors of mechanized war and imprisonment.)

That some of the most grotesque antisemitism has come from zionists, either because they are themselves racist against ashkenazim or because they perceive the Jews that died in the holocaust as having been weak or deficient in some way. That a “new breed of Jew” exists that doesn’t take poo poo from any group or nation, and that would soundly defeat Hitler by themselves if given the chance.

He also connects it to the liberal desire to see order or value in all historical events, that the things that led to “today” must inherently be good in some way because without them we wouldn’t be where we are. Even events like the holocaust must have some value because the world “learned” from them and the people that survived them gained valuable empathy and “humanity” from their experience which further made todays world a better place.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 26, 2024

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Don't think he's going to be able to change peoples perception of him, his best bet is to either go away for a few years and then try again or get a new face for the channel but then he has to start a new channel and that might take a while before it gets the kind of views he's used to getting . His comments are forever going to be plagued by people bringing up his plagiarism. I know it's hard walking away from all that money but he should just go away.

I guess he could just disable comments and hope to get views and patreon-money from people that don't pay attention to internet drama.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Goddamn, he's posting through it

He was always going to, same deal with the illuminauti person or whatever their name was who's still churning out AI-generated content farm drivel for like 15k views a piece and will keep doing so until she's milked all existing sponsorship deals dry.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DeafNote posted:

Last I heard he was just a typical braindead gamer streamer. Probably an awful person anyway, but I dont recall any specific controversies.

Yeah asmond actually defends people like hasan quite a bit to his largely braindead/child audience, like most of the dudes in his milieu he was a stupid normie gamer kid with stupid “apolitical” normie boy takes who first made it his job and then became handsomely rewarded for it and so has never moved on from that worldview. He’s not a chud, and he’s probably more anti-chud than not, but he’s also just fundamentally a bog standard uneducated adult who happens to have an audience of millions of mostly-kids.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he voted for donald trump

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

he's also been making a ton of anti-woke videos recently

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He argued that artists don't count and only products and consumers matter when discussing AI art and when a bunch of people called him out on his poo poo stance he made a reaction video complaining that people wanted to cancel him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sydin posted:

He was always going to, same deal with the illuminauti person or whatever their name was who's still churning out AI-generated content farm drivel for like 15k views a piece and will keep doing so until she's milked all existing sponsorship deals dry.

Yeah. If they had any shame or integrity, they wouldn't have plagiarized people in the first place. They'll keep at it until they're sure they can't milk a few more dollars out of the grift, somehow.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

learning and growing and realizing that the streamer is a chud.....

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Asmongold was mad that the cartoon dragon said the patriarchy word.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Honestly the best thing Somerton should do is change his name. He’s basically synonymous with “plagiarism”, and I don’t think most employees would want to deal with his baggage.

Unless… he takes the “Why I left the Left” route lol

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

here's how you can tell if a streamer or youtuber sucks:

- The majority of their content is "react" videos

asmon sucks but if you like watching utter manchilds revel in their inability to be a functioning adult (who is nonetheless able to sustain himself and a business) he's top tier.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1762208404653879414

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Equeen posted:

Honestly the best thing Somerton should do is change his name. He’s basically synonymous with “plagiarism”, and I don’t think most employees would want to deal with his baggage.

Unless… he takes the “Why I left the Left” route lol

This is what he’s going to do

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

HKR posted:

asmon sucks but if you like watching utter manchilds revel in their inability to be a functioning adult (who is nonetheless able to sustain himself and a business) he's top tier.

He’s actually running out of steam and is just boring now.

I don’t think he can top his hits.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

HKR posted:

here's how you can tell if a streamer or youtuber sucks:

- The majority of their content is "react" videos

I'm still baffled by how the reaction video genre took off. Who are the millions of people who keep watching these? Are they aware that other types of media exist?

trilobite terror posted:

This is what he’s going to do

At least until he gets caught plagiarizing Tim Pool and the cycle begins anew.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

TheMightyBoops posted:

He’s actually running out of steam and is just boring now.

I don’t think he can top his hits.

He topped when he got called out by an AI vtuber.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

KingKalamari posted:

I'm still baffled by how the reaction video genre took off. Who are the millions of people who keep watching these? Are they aware that other types of media exist?

The actual concept isn't too hard to see the appeal of. People like seeing other people enjoy things, especially things they also enjoy. Might as well ask why food videos are popular even though you can't taste it through the screen.

The problem is that like most other explosively popular video formats it's both incredibly cheap to produce and incredibly easy to churn out, as well as extremely algo friendly given the focus on faces + pop culture bullshit, leading to a race to the bottom measured in milliseconds.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Imagine being so tone deaf that you title the third apology video with the subtitle of the guy who broke your back over plagiarism. It has to be a bit at this point to milk the last drops of money from hateclicks dry right?

KingKalamari posted:

My pseudointellectual guess is that these mimic the notion of watching a video you like with your friends, with someone who is economically obligated to have a reaction beyond 'oh neat.'

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i think reaction stuff can be ok if the person reacting is knowledgeable about the subject. like chefs reacting to bad (or good!) cooking is fun and you can hear them talk about how to cook stuff

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I like watching reactions to YTPs and other comedy videos. Laughing along with someone else makes it funnier, assuming the person is actually engaging with it and isn’t just awkwardly nodding along in silence like some of them do.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I watched like one minute of the Somerton video, is he still using the incredibly passive language to downplay all the shady poo poo he's done?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MJeff posted:

I watched like one minute of the Somerton video, is he still using the incredibly passive language to downplay all the shady poo poo he's done?

Yes
He blames his plaigerism on brain damage and adhd.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wanna know how many people are signed up for his new Patreon. It's gotta be single digits.

Edit: oh god, it's literally 1 person. Who I assume is James.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

I wanna know how many people are signed up for his new Patreon. It's gotta be single digits.

Edit: oh god, it's literally 1 person. Who I assume is James.

Patreon update 1:

Thanks mom!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ivypls posted:

i think reaction stuff can be ok if the person reacting is knowledgeable about the subject. like chefs reacting to bad (or good!) cooking is fun and you can hear them talk about how to cook stuff

Legal Eagle started out that way. But I do appreciate him doing stuff about actual stories in law now.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ivypls posted:

Yeah, I enjoy the ones where a subject matter expert commentates on another video, and points out good bits and flaws.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Warmachine posted:

My pseudointellectual guess is that these mimic the notion of watching a video you like with your friends, with someone who is economically obligated to have a reaction beyond 'oh neat.'

Definitely.

Also, realistically, they're a distillation of one of the core pillars of content across Youtube and Twitch. People don't necessarily stream themselves playing lovely NES games to show off their skills, after all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KingKalamari posted:

It’s parasociality in its purest form. All of the enjoyment of hanging out with friends without any of the effort or work or responsibility.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I quite like watching videos of people listening to songs I like for the first time. I don't think it's virtuous, it's just kinda neat to see what folk think of it, if the people are smart and charismatic enough to watch.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I find it very funny that he named his return video after a series Hbomberguy occasionally names his videos

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only pure reaction videos I tend to watch are ones where the person reacting has some kind of expert or personal knowledge on the topic that allows them to provide interesting commentary. "Composer/musician listens to [song]" as an example, or the TFS commentary videos where they go back and watch their old DBZA stuff and talk about their writing/editing process.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The first time I watched a react video was some women who filmed herself squeeing while watching the first Breaking Dawn trailer and I remember thinking to myself, "why would you post a video of yourself like this?? :magical:" I got such intense second-hand embarrassment from it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Captain_Person posted:

I find it very funny that he named his return video after a series Hbomberguy occasionally names his videos

100% that's James trying to be being clever, thinking that "stealing" a video title is a funny joke to put in his plagiarism apology whinging video.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Beyond random bouts of things like Vinny Vinesauce watching weird stuff or corruptions or whatever, the most consistent thing I watch (as in, maybe once every couple of weeks when they do it and I'm around to see it) is Tie Tuesday and/or mdct reacting to horrific content mill garbage.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

HopperUK posted:

I quite like watching videos of people listening to songs I like for the first time. I don't think it's virtuous, it's just kinda neat to see what folk think of it, if the people are smart and charismatic enough to watch.

I personally hate these, because it always feels like nerd music appreciators trying to seek validation of their tastes by having a "professional" musician listen to them. Every time I try and watch these I get flashbacks to pleading with my parents to let me play video games with sound and them screaming at me to turn that computer poo poo off.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

speaking of react videos, i'll never forget that one video the Fine Bros (i think?) did where they had extremely prominent gaming youtubers react to the 2015 reveal of the FFVII remake...like two weeks after it came out and said gaming youtubers pretending to have just found out

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Beyond random bouts of things like Vinny Vinesauce watching weird stuff or corruptions or whatever, the most consistent thing I watch (as in, maybe once every couple of weeks when they do it and I'm around to see it) is Tie Tuesday and/or mdct reacting to horrific content mill garbage.

Tie Tuesday introduced me to Joe is Hungry and for that he can never be forgiven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

HKR posted:

I personally *hate* these, because it always feels like nerd music appreciators trying to seek validation of their tastes by having a "professional" musician listen to them. Every time I try and watch these I get flashbacks to pleading with my parents to let me play video games with sound and them screaming at me to turn that computer poo poo off.

Haha I guess