Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh also there's a cast member in Brotherhood of the Wolf named "Jean-Loup Wolff" which is too on the nose to be his real name. Turns out his real name is Jean-Loup Wolfman.

lol

ShoogaSlim posted:

i liked that it was more theoretical and focused on skepticism around the beast, but it really only works if you haven't seen it in forever or never before. could have been cut back or given more to work with in terms of why there might be doubt.

also it feels arbitrary that there was as much/any martial arts thrown into the movie at all. it's really kind of just an excuse for mark dacascos to be in it and for the movie to appeal to people who wanted more stuff like the matrix which only came out like 2 years prior.

You could probably do a decent mystery movie out of the actual case of the Beast of Gévaudan but BotW just has so much stuff in it. I feel like this type of French production of that era often tried to spice up their movie with more genre stuff. I don't know if it's because the kind of person who believes in this kind of project is a massive nerd to begin with, or because they felt like a more restrained style would bore modern audiences. It works in BotW, less so in other movies, like the infamously terrible Vidocq or the (boring) 2004 adaptation of Arsène Lupin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Basebf555 posted:

^^^
Dragonslayer is also the ultra rare Peter MacNicol lead role.

speaking of dead and loving it, that's basically the only role i really know this guy from. that and ghostbusters lol. so watching the trailer and seeing him as the star threw me off.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don’t understand why they keep doing Lupin adaptations when Lupin III is right there.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The weird thing about Men in Tights is that while it seems like it's a spoof of Robin Hood in general, it's really just going super hard making fun of the Kevin Costner movie. It's still Robin Hood stuff, it's not like you NEED to have seen that movie to understand what's going on, but there's a lot of stuff that feels less like a joke and more just sort of arbitrarily weird without that context.

Just in case, I want to be explicitly clear that I am in no way suggesting it's worth watching Kevin Costners Robin Hood in order to Truly Enjoy Men in Tights. However, it might be worth watching that movie to see Alan Rickman be super handsome and evil and whatnot, ymmv

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Having finished Men in Tights, it's definitely not bad. There's a lot of good jokes. But there are also a lot of references to then-current culture, and there isn't really a big comedy moment. No Spanish Inquisition or Putting on the Ritz. It largely maintains a steady pace of jokes that land throughout it's run time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the kevin costner robin hood is funnier than men in tights

it's got the rifftrax problem: the mockery just isn't clever enough to be more entertaining than something sincerely weird and awkward

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I didn’t say Abe Lincoln, I said hey Blinkin

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Space Balls just barely avoids the same pitfall, partly thanks to Rick Moranis and partly because it's more about Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon than it is about the actual movies

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Gripweed posted:

I don’t understand why they keep doing Lupin adaptations when Lupin III is right there.

It's because John Cleese keeps robbing people of their Lupins.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ShoogaSlim posted:

these all look like what i'm looking for. thanks!

The Jason Momoa Conan is underrated, in the sense that nobody talks about it but it's actually decent

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Blood Boils posted:

The Jason Momoa Conan is underrated, in the sense that nobody talks about it but it's actually decent

It barely manages to rise to Okayish for most of its runtime but the ending is just terrible. It's got similar problems as Pathfinder, the "Native Americans fight Vikings" movie, in that both have so much going on that sounds really loving metal on paper, but somehow falls flat in the movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't seen Pathfinder since a couple years after it came out, but I remember it took the "Soul Calibur bone whip sword" aspects of BotW and just ran with it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Space Balls just barely avoids the same pitfall, partly thanks to Rick Moranis and partly because it's more about Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon than it is about the actual movies

And the parodic elements of Dracula: Dead and Loving It still work because it's parodying Dracula

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Cary Elwes is great in Robin Hood Men in tights.

And yeah I remember years later watching the Costner Robin Hood on tv and when little John and Robin Hood duel by the river, I thought wait this is from Men in Tights!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Airplane! is one of the rare parodies that have outlived and outlasted the original movies they're lampooning

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Cary Elwes should have been in Dead and Loving playing the same character.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What is with Hong Kong cinema's fixation with cops? I know it's bad in the West but it seems even more extreme. I turn on Chungking Express and its like bam. This isnt even an action movie!!! Guess that's what happens when you get so colonized and Britbrained.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Speaking of which: Dead and Loving It gives Jonathan Harker's journey to Transylvania to Renfield. Are there other Dracula movies that do this with another character? Mina in particular seems like a likely candidate, since she's a much more popular character than her husband - though it would be hard to justify a woman of her era ending up in a foreigner's home in a professional capacity.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Truspeaker posted:

The weird thing about Men in Tights is that while it seems like it's a spoof of Robin Hood in general, it's really just going super hard making fun of the Kevin Costner movie. It's still Robin Hood stuff, it's not like you NEED to have seen that movie to understand what's going on, but there's a lot of stuff that feels less like a joke and more just sort of arbitrarily weird without that context.

Just in case, I want to be explicitly clear that I am in no way suggesting it's worth watching Kevin Costners Robin Hood in order to Truly Enjoy Men in Tights. However, it might be worth watching that movie to see Alan Rickman be super handsome and evil and whatnot, ymmv

My wife and I did those back to back about a year or so ago. Well, not double feature back to back, but watched one a few days prior to the other.

The whole time watching the Costner Robin Hood, she kept saying "Why does anyone find him attractive? He sucks so much."

She liked Men in Tights far far more.

But yeah, it's nearly beat for beat the same film. It rules.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jay Rust posted:

Airplane! is one of the rare parodies that have outlived and outlasted the original movies they're lampooning

Coming across an actual Airport film on tv was a surreal experience.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

YaketySass posted:

Speaking of which: Dead and Loving It gives Jonathan Harker's journey to Transylvania to Renfield. Are there other Dracula movies that do this with another character? Mina in particular seems like a likely candidate, since she's a much more popular character than her husband - though it would be hard to justify a woman of her era ending up in a foreigner's home in a professional capacity.

It's also Renfield in the the original Dracula with Bela Lugosi

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What is with Hong Kong cinema's fixation with cops? I know it's bad in the West but it seems even more extreme. I turn on Chungking Express and its like bam. This isnt even an action movie!!! Guess that's what happens when you get so colonized and Britbrained.

Yeah but the important part is Tony Leung quits being a cop. Only then can he get with Faye Wong.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 27, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wong Kar Wai wanted the film to be popular so he went for what was popular at the time in HK, police films. It actually works interestingly with the inverted nature of Fallen Angels with the cops being replaced with a criminal and a hitman.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I found this channel: https://youtube.com/@newcastleafterdark405?si=6OD1sv9-rsyx43Ob
The hosts are annoying so I skip that, but they have a bunch of fun old b-flims in full.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

I found this channel: https://youtube.com/@newcastleafterdark405?si=6OD1sv9-rsyx43Ob
The hosts are annoying so I skip that, but they have a bunch of fun old b-flims in full.

oh poo poo, they got The Stone Tape and Psychomania. That's good taste. I might have to check what else they've got.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

checkplease posted:

Yeah but the important part Tony Leung quits being a cop. Only then can he get with Faye Wong.
Wow spoilers!!!!!!
Its okay I don't actually care about spoilers cuz I'm a sicko. Half an hour in and it's pretty good. I'm just haunted by Police Story after Police Story so I was just like "really??? More?"
I'm assuming the main characters of In the Mood For Love are not cops lol. Guess I'll find out soon when I rewatch it, saw that poo poo as a kid.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It rules that the only cop stuff Leung does is “stand around and eat”, probably the most realistic portrayal of the average cop’s day ever filmed

The other guy beats someone up so that’s pretty much the full gamut

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wow spoilers!!!!!!
Its okay I don't actually care about spoilers cuz I'm a sicko. Half an hour in and it's pretty good. I'm just haunted by Police Story after Police Story so I was just like "really??? More?"
I'm assuming the main characters of In the Mood For Love are not cops lol. Guess I'll find out soon when I rewatch it, saw that poo poo as a kid.

No cops in that one

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wow spoilers!!!!!!

lol sorry, I forgot about the cop in the first half and assumed you had watched the second part before posting. guess I should add spoilers for others though.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Mr Hootington posted:

I watched The Blood on Satan's Claw on this channel a couple of years ago and it was definitely easy enough to skip right through the relatively few segments with the hosts. They have some good stuff on there.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The local Cineplex screened Blade Runner: 2049 tonight, after showing the original last week - my first time watching both of them at the cinema - and even on a very average screen 2049 looked and sounded great. It's the first time I've watched it since seeing Dune and I couldn't help but notice certain parallels, such as in the set design or things like the shots of aircraft flying over vast landscapes; it certainly feels like the film Villeneuve had to make before making Dune. However despite being slightly longer than Part 1 it felt better paced - characters and moments were given more time to breathe, while everything before the escape to the desert in Pt 1 felt a bit too rushed.

Oh and speaking of Wong Kar-Wai, I finally saw In the Mood For Love at my local indie (had only previously seen Chungking Express and 2046 at the Prince Charles (which I'm pretty sure shows at least one WKW film a week now)) but I think I preferred Chungking even though everyone raves about ITMFL - maybe it needs a second viewing. I know there were lots of complaints about the 4K restoration colour grading, but it still looks good, and Maggie Cheung's wardrobe was of course looks fantastic.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762173498871455805
http://archive.today/2024.02.26-190...onger-jd0q2rrwp

quote:

“Frankly, I hate dialogue,” he says, laughing, which is a fun thing for one of the screenwriters of Dune: Part Two to say. “Dialogue is for theatre and television. I don’t remember movies because of a good line, I remember movies because of a strong image. I’m not interested in dialogue at all. Pure image and sound, that is the power of cinema, but it is something not obvious when you watch movies today. Movies have been corrupted by television.” Because TV had that golden age and execs thought films should copy its success? “Exactly.”

Villeneuve smiles. “In a perfect world,” he says, “I’d make a compelling movie that doesn’t feel like an experiment but does not have a single word in it either. People would leave the cinema and say, ‘Wait, there was no dialogue?’ But they won’t feel the lack.” So, without leaping ahead, if he makes Dune Messiah, could he make it dialogue-free? “I would absolutely adore that.” Don’t bet against him. If this second Dune makes enough money, he will be hard to stop.

I know Villeneuve is a visuals guy, so his point comes across a bit extreme, but I think there have been plenty of examples in the last 10-15 years of the TV-ification of filmmaking (see: Disney/MCU)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's 100% correct

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hitchcock really didn't like the move to "talkies" although I think a big part of that was the technical limitations of early sound in film made a lot of stuff much harder or impossible compared to when you didn't need microphones or have to worry about ambient sound.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
One of the things I loved about Part 1 was how much of the story is told with the visuals, there were people in the GBS Dune thread complaining how incomprehensible it must be to anyone who hasn't read the books but if one actually watches the film it shows so much with a shot of a character's face.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Carpet posted:

One of the things I loved about Part 1 was how much of the story is told with the visuals, there were people in the GBS Dune thread complaining how incomprehensible it must be to anyone who hasn't read the books but if one actually watches the film it shows so much with a shot of a character's face.

I've never read the book. I recently saw Part 1 in IMAX when it was put back in theaters for a few weeks. Majority of the film, I had zero clue what was going on. It didn't help that the dialogue was often nearly inaudible, but then again, I sometimes have auditory processing issues when there are a bunch of conflicting loud noises. Regardless, I thought the film was great. I've seen complaints of "Oh they didn't explain <x>" but gently caress it, it wasn't necessary for my enjoyment and going into a long explanations of aspects of the novels would have just weighed it down.

DUNC Part 1 is more about vibes than anything else. And the vibes were immaculate.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

checkplease posted:

lol sorry, I forgot about the cop in the first half and assumed you had watched the second part before posting. guess I should add spoilers for others though.
I do appreciate that they exist in a world where there are only three songs. I think I'd go insane and start breaking into peoples apartments/talking to "emotionally charged" towels too. It certainly drove me insane.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gaius Marius posted:

He's 100% correct

I remember a LOT of scenes from watching his movies only one time - Polytechnique, Incendienes, Enemy, Prisoners all had very visual depictions where the lines being spoken didn't really matter, let alone his bigger budget work.

RE: Brotherhood of the Wolf, I only caught it a few years ago and enjoyed it. I believe it's also the movie where Belluci and Cassel met but could be wrong. I do wonder what happened to French cinema - you had that, Jeunet's stuff throughout the 90s and 00s, and then .... I'm completely unaware of anything after that. Did their government stop funding the arts or something at the same time Korea jump started their industry?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mordiceius posted:

I've never read the book. I recently saw Part 1 in IMAX when it was put back in theaters for a few weeks. Majority of the film, I had zero clue what was going on. It didn't help that the dialogue was often nearly inaudible, but then again, I sometimes have auditory processing issues when there are a bunch of conflicting loud noises. Regardless, I thought the film was great. I've seen complaints of "Oh they didn't explain <x>" but gently caress it, it wasn't necessary for my enjoyment and going into a long explanations of aspects of the novels would have just weighed it down.

DUNC Part 1 is more about vibes than anything else. And the vibes were immaculate.

The first movie felt like mostly setup, which makes sense considering it's the first half of a one book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

The first movie felt like mostly setup, which makes sense considering it's the first half of a one book

Yeah, but I also couldn’t tell you much of what anything meant other than broad strokes. Plenty of scenes where I have zero clue on the context.