Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jerkface posted:

you can quick carry the shells by spamming use on them you will walk fast while picking up and dropping a shell. Makes it much easier to do solo.

I like doing it solo because my teammates did it once and MAYBE it was bad rng on shell generation but they loaded all smoke \ static field so it was useless

Gimme dat control

Do you like playing team based games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Legit Businessman posted:

Do you like playing team based games?

I love playing team based games, but I like completing the mission / being effective more than anything in the world. If the other divers are good and are operating with a brain (hitting secondaries, focusing the right stuff, getting POIs) I will squad up and bro down. If they're noobish and lost I will go make better use of my time so we can complete the mission and get PAID with freedom bucks.

Also if you're going rambo in HD its likely because your teammates are not doing the right thing or else they'd follow you. If someone follows me I dont TK them or whatever. You can naturally split into pairs or become the IGL by just doing stuff with conviction.

You learn a lot about your team the first time a bug hole opens, if they start dropping turrets and preparing a protracted engagement i hit the bricks

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 26, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Going Rambo works because a "bad" team that is fighting everything they see will greatly reduce the heat elsewhere. So you can gently caress off for a bit while they fight twenty drop ships and do a few side quests.

They're basically the distraction beacon from HD1 but they're blowing poo poo up and having a good time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also, importantly, if you go rambo you can more easily just book it if things get too spicy in an area. With a Jump Pack and some elevation you can cover a LOT of ground with one jump. If you're loving with pubbies as a group, they'll probably stay and fight until it turns into an "Oops! All dropships!" moment

One issue with going rambo is that if you stumble on a "needs two guys" thing, you know there's extra delicious snacks inside that bunker. I kinda wish there was a way to permanently mark a bunch of things on the map.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People going Rambo can be a huge pain in the rear end and imo it's kind of an annoyingly selfish way to play. If it's well communicated why they are going to run off and there is a game plan it's fine, but some people like to run off and just start doing objectives alone, which causes very little enemies to spawn around them and a boost in enemies for the rest of the team to deal with. These same people always seem to think that they are the only ones who know what they are doing and everyone else is just taking on engagements for no reason when in reality their team is just getting swarmed and they are not helping at all.

The games progression is fast enough idg why some people want to bum rush every mission. If you stick together for the most part you'll get out with the whole team, with the most resources and usually have 10-15 minutes to spare even on the highest difficulties.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
There is a pretty good video out there floating around testing each weapon against charger legs and showing damage calculation. Has anyone seen it? I can't seem to find it again.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

doing SEAF artillery solo sounds miserable

Sprint > drop > pickup > repeat is twice as fast as just hauling the missiles normally.

edit: beaten.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 27, 2024

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

LuiCypher posted:

*shrug* I do have L2 Orbital Guns, so the extra radius and barrage might be major contributing factors as to why I seem to be getting decent results with it. I have noticed a not-insignificant number of pubbies have barely upgraded ships (many seem to be focused on grinding XP and ignoring samples) and even those that do have upgrades don't upgrade their orbital guns.

i have fully upgraded orbitals and just a few hours ago i tried a couple operations with barrages and they were not great. dropped both the 380 and the other one into the middle of a large base together and got 1 out of the 5 factories. tried with the 380 and walking barrage, same result. meanwhile a single airstrike can often take out 2 easily and i can use another one 5 seconds after the first. and then another. then i can use another 3 in less time than a barrage cooldown. barrages are not good compared to pretty much every eagle strike option. you can level an entire large bot base, including the bots inside, with an air strike and a laser in the time it takes for one barrage to finish shooting.

they just need to make barrages auto target salvos around buildings first before they drop randomly, then theyd have an actual use. i cant think of any reason to take a barrage other than it looks/feels really cool to use.

jokes posted:

In case anyone else didn’t notice, when you pull up your map it shows you how many samples are available on the map. It’s a lot more than you’d think

you can go over the amount listed. samples inside the double button doors arent included in the total amount. i had a mission with 17/14 rare samples.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If a player takes off to Rambo and your team is just pulling every patrol, follow the Rambo. You can just go with them. You can do the objectives together and find the precious stone ballsack.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't mind people rambo'ing since they generally know what they're doing and it does accomplish stuff faster. Special exception to this one pubbie who tried to rambo, died, and then tried to convince one/all of us to trek across the map to get his stuff back.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

veni veni veni posted:

These same people always seem to think that they are the only ones who know what they are doing and everyone else is just taking on engagements for no reason when in reality their team is just getting swarmed and they are not helping at all.

in my experience 90% of the time this happens is because they're near a bot fabricator or bug nest and are pulling aggro infinitely so i think that's actually specifically when you should always go rambo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

veni veni veni posted:

People going Rambo can be a huge pain in the rear end and imo it's kind of an annoyingly selfish way to play. If it's well communicated why they are going to run off and there is a game plan it's fine, but some people like to run off and just start doing objectives alone, which causes very little enemies to spawn around them and a boost in enemies for the rest of the team to deal with. These same people always seem to think that they are the only ones who know what they are doing and everyone else is just taking on engagements for no reason when in reality their team is just getting swarmed and they are not helping at all.

This has always been my experience too, and as someone who usually only has 3 in discord and matchmake in a 4th, there's definitely been times where we're showing somebody the ropes and therefore may be taking our time or going slow because it's fun to work through the objectives as a group when the 4th person is zipping around with a jetpack doing objectives ahead of us. It comes from a good place but it's usually more annoying than helpful and I've kicked people for doing it before when we're trying to go slowly.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Going off solo does not cause more enemies to spawn on your teammates. Starting objectives can cause enemies to spawn at the objective, but its not going to punish your teammates. Not sure why you are thinking that. If the main party is dealing with endless swarms its because theyre not disengaging / aggroing everything, which is why that other guy went rambo to begin with.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t know about it loving over the rest of the team; Rambos should only be getting drop ships called on them and if they’re smart they either won’t fight them or will instantly clear the drop ship with a stratagem. Neither of which ultimately gently caress with the normal team. But if they have stealth gear and a good amount of explosives, they’re going to be a net drain on enemy spawns for the rest of the team since spawns seem to slightly be related to the number of outposts on the map.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

If a player takes off to Rambo and your team is just pulling every patrol, follow the Rambo. You can just go with them. You can do the objectives together and find the precious stone ballsack.

I mean if someone Rambos it’s because there is 3 of us playing together and forgot to turn it back to private and some pubbie pops in. We are all around level 30 we don’t need a pub hero showing us the ropes. We usually just let them do their thing but if they start wasting our tickets too much they are getting booted.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Away all Goats posted:

Special exception to this one pubbie who tried to rambo, died, and then tried to convince one/all of us to trek across the map to get his stuff back.

Yeah, this is a rambo faux pas. If you run off solo, die, and get called back near the group, them's the breaks. Be better at video games next time.

I generally give myself one shot at soloing and if I die, I stick with the team the rest of the game. Unless they're turning every patrol into the Battle of Verdun, of course.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The whole point of a Rambo is that they don’t die much, and they are just running around calling in airstrikes on outposts and nabbing samples. If they’re getting in fights they’re just bad.

Also, I really don’t like it when people are rude to pubbies and kick them, that’s a little toxic— follow them on their jolly adventures! There’s only so many objectives!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerkface posted:

Going off solo does not cause more enemies to spawn on your teammates. Starting objectives can cause enemies to spawn at the objective, but its not going to punish your teammates. Not sure why you are thinking that. If the main party is dealing with endless swarms its because theyre not disengaging / aggroing everything, which is why that other guy went rambo to begin with.

This is counter to everything I and everyone else I have played with has experienced playing the game. I can’t prove it tbh, but I doubt you can either. If you can objectively show me I’m wrong have at it though and I’ll rethink my position.

AFAIK more players ramps up the bug spawns so being down a player who is off doing their own thing is going to just make it harder on everyone else.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 27, 2024

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

veni veni veni posted:

These same people always seem to think that they are the only ones who know what they are doing and everyone else is just taking on engagements for no reason when in reality their team is just getting swarmed and they are not helping at all.

Bug Breaches and Bot Drops only occur where the alert is sounded. If a Rambo triggers those then it will only go to their location, not the others.

If the other people are getting swarmed it's entirely their fault.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It's very satisfying to run off ahead of the group, clear an objective point out before any of the enemies can send a flare/cry for help and then start working on it with near zero enemy presence. Makes you feel like a proper stealth operative.

I only really do it when the rest of my team is stopping to fight every single spawner/patrol but it always feels good to get it done before they show up, then relink up and move with them again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

veni veni veni posted:

This is counter to everything I and everyone else I have played with has experienced playing the game. I can’t prove it tbh, but I doubt you can either. If you can objectively show me I’m wrong have at it though and I’ll rethink my position.

wow, this post just oozes with weird elitism.

If a dropship is called on a Rambo it isn’t called on you. If their presence increases spawns against you, that’s counterbalanced by the Rambo hopefully closing outposts and nabbing samples and killing/running away from enemies.

Rambos are good actually, I bet you’re one of those people who played Left 4 Dead 2 by crouchwalking, sticking, and spamming melee the entire map. If you can’t stand the idea of random pubbies who aren’t tactical enough, then just don’t play with them? But you absolutely should have a 4th who goes off on their ow , it’s funner and better for everyone

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be clear I play with a full group of goons 95% of the time and when a pubbie is in the game it's not on purpose. We do split up regularly for specific reasons but when someone just keeps running off it makes the spawns noticeably more difficult for everyone else as far as I can tell. If people want to rambo that's fine but I just think it makes the game less fun and I couldn't care less about kicking a pub.

Also idg why people think it's such a pro tip to avoid bugs as much as possible. I play this game to shoot the fuckin bugs. We are up to impossible difficulty and have literally failed like 2-3 missions in the 40 hours I've played. I play to have fun shooting poo poo not to min/max xp and get out as soon as possible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

jokes posted:

wow, this post just oozes with weird elitism.

How in the world is that elitist wtf lol. I'm just saying if you are telling me something that is counter to what I have experienced in the game show me some proof so I know I am wrong instead of just telling me to take your word for it. I didn't mean it in a hostile or combative way at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

I mean if someone Rambos it’s because there is 3 of us playing together and forgot to turn it back to private and some pubbie pops in. We are all around level 30 we don’t need a pub hero showing us the ropes. We usually just let them do their thing but if they start wasting our tickets too much they are getting booted.

Ok you're in control, so who cares then? It's far more annoying having one player stick with you and pot shot every single patrol until you hit a robo-cascade situation (I actually like this, I didn't join the helldivers to gently caress spiders). That's what actually wastes tickets. Rambo needs you to throw a new Pokeball at your location.

Also have you tried asking them to stick with you or what they're doing?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

AFAIK more players ramps up the bug spawns so being down a player who is off doing their own thing is going to just make it harder on everyone else.

The spawns get more intense based on difficulty and mission length. The longer the mission has progressed the more crazy stuff gets. AFAIK its not based on players. I think shooting the bugs is really fun too but theres infinite amounts of them and you dont get anything for doing it outside of eradicate missions. You get to squash plenty of bugs even when you're being a ninja.

Edit: If you're in discord and gonna actively kick ppl why not just make it private or get on the ingame VC? If someone chats at me in game when I'm not playing with friends I will respond and group if they ask. But how is any pubbie supposed to know what you're doing if you're on private discord lol

I got in a pub game where they were obviously showing a new player the ropes/grinding XP for them (2 level 20+ and a level 5 grouping) so I just went and did my own thing to help clear objectives and get them XP since they were going pretty slow. Worked out fine :shrug:

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 27, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Speaking of pubbies I'm frequently getting dudes dropping in to 8 with a flamethrower and jetpack and all I can think is hell yeah brother.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So I've fallen out of love with the gas. It's good and powerful and the reload is quick but the fact that it's accuracy is fuckin' garbo really tanks it's usefulness. When I throw gas, I want the gas THERE, not a hundred feet away on top of a mountain! It happens often enough that it gets quite frustrating after a while, which sucks! Why handicap it like that?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do wonder if there are limits to how many bots/bugs can be alive at any given time. Like on Medium, for example, surely there's an upper limit for how many patrols/dropships/whatever you need to deal with.

And also, I've had a ton of missions end without any major spawns during extraction-- I wonder if this is because of closing outposts or if there's something else going on. Maybe killing all them bugs is helpful!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerkface posted:

Edit: If you're in discord and gonna actively kick ppl why not just make it private or get on the ingame VC? If someone chats at me in game when I'm not playing with friends I will respond and group if they ask. But how is any pubbie supposed to know what you're doing if you're on private discord lol

It's on PS5 and their is no actual "private" option. It's just public or friends only and it won't let PS5 friends join unless it's public or they have been added to your HD2 friends (which is often broken anyways). So sometimes people turn it to public so everyone can join and then forget to switch it back and we end up with a random. From there I feel bad kicking them immediately but if they start loving up our vibes they are gone.

Also I should add that most of the pubs seem to both be rambos and die constantly. We had these 2 guys join near the end of a mission yesterday when I was playing with a buddy and in under 5 minutes we went from zero deaths to having 3 tickets left so we literally had to kick them to even finish the mission because they wouldn't stop running off and dying.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jokes posted:

I do wonder if there are limits to how many bots/bugs can be alive at any given time. Like on Medium, for example, surely there's an upper limit for how many patrols/dropships/whatever you need to deal with.

And also, I've had a ton of missions end without any major spawns during extraction-- I wonder if this is because of closing outposts or if there's something else going on.

the strength or presence of enemies or something increases the longer that you stay in a mission and it wouldn't surprise me if the different difficulty settings influence the degree to which it does. from what i understand destroying outposts stops or at least reduces enemy spawns in their vicinity, and possibly globally. i can't really think of any other reason as to why a 35 minute extraction with all of the outposts destroyed are consistently the least intense.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

JBP posted:

Speaking of pubbies I'm frequently getting dudes dropping in to 8 with a flamethrower and jetpack and all I can think is hell yeah brother.

Been hearing about this combo. Wish I coukd pull it off

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

GlyphGryph posted:

So I've fallen out of love with the gas. It's good and powerful and the reload is quick but the fact that it's accuracy is fuckin' garbo really tanks it's usefulness. When I throw gas, I want the gas THERE, not a hundred feet away on top of a mountain! It happens often enough that it gets quite frustrating after a while, which sucks! Why handicap it like that?

Im pretty sure that's the 'orbital scattering' planet modifier at work.

Makes all orbital strikes have godawful accuracy.

Kind of like the 'call ins are delayed by 100%' one makes eagle strikes loving awful feeling.

JBP posted:

I reckon it would be boss poo poo for egg missions. Run around the back while the fight is on, jet pack up to the egg zone and torch/bomb the eggs.

Jetpack is nice for eggs - but honestly cluster bombs, impacts, and the fire shotgun are better.
You should be able to run into a nest and murk all the eggs before you die (and more often than not you can just run out anyways)
I suggest throwing a Eagle Cluster Strike into the nest first - those are REALLY good at killing eggs for you.

Though in this case the Jetpack would make the whole get in/out aspect easier (or at least one of them, the cooldown is so loving long)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 27, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dandywalken posted:

Been hearing about this combo. Wish I coukd pull it off

I reckon it would be boss poo poo for egg missions. Run around the back while the fight is on, jet pack up to the egg zone and torch/bomb the eggs.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I had a mission where we had a bit of a fight with some robots leaving a base. Not a failure cascade, just a speedbump. The host declared we were getting bogged down and had to extract ASAP. I said yeah I'm just grabbing these dropped samples here. gently caress the samples, I was told, we gotta go. There were over twenty minutes left on the clock and tons of reinforcements left

Section Z posted:

But always the same way that no random has ever verbally gotten mad about yet. Probably because of how much the sequence of events makes it clear they hosed up. "Watch out. It is big! and will kill every walker in the zip code!... great job, it is almost over-why are you going back in" I don't even have the extra salvo upgrade yet so it isn't people shocked by the +1 round of danger.

I had the same thought when I saw the upgrade but I'm sorry to report the extra salvos only effect the gatling, walking and the artillery ones

re. Chargers being more tedious than challenging, in the first game they were much more of a hassle due to the limited screen space. If you got caught near the edge of the screen or in the corner, sometimes you had to just watch the charger get you. If you and a team mate dodged a charger in different directions, both of you suddenly had a lot less room to fight everything else. Two chargers compounded these issues. They were a lot more disruptive, and easier to kill from the backside

I suspect when making the game, the designers thought the chargers would be similarly disruptive. But they're not, because we can be far away from each other. Maybe they were given more survivability and weird weak points because they just weren't doing much? So we've ended up with a baddy that's just not much fun

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

The games progression is fast enough idg why some people want to bum rush every mission. If you stick together for the most part you'll get out with the whole team, with the most resources and usually have 10-15 minutes to spare even on the highest difficulties.

veni veni veni posted:

Also idg why people think it's such a pro tip to avoid bugs as much as possible. I play this game to shoot the fuckin bugs. We are up to impossible difficulty and have literally failed like 2-3 missions in the 40 hours I've played. I play to have fun shooting poo poo not to min/max xp and get out as soon as possible.
This combination of "these drat rambos are forcing us to fight more bugs" and "I shoot every bug I see" is funny to me.

Having done suicidal missions both solo and with a pack of four, if there is any increase in total bug numbers it's a very small change. The game is far easier and calmer with four people running around than it is solo if you get into a firefight.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What up with this wack-rear end turret that one-shots me from super far away but doesn't seem to have a weakpoint? I dropped an air strike but I guess it missed? Anyways, I decided to land on a tank and was standing on top of it just emptying my clips into the vent on the back of the tank and then the turret shot me and destroyed the tank. Thanks?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

jokes posted:

What up with this wack-rear end turret that one-shots me from super far away but doesn't seem to have a weakpoint? I dropped an air strike but I guess it missed? Anyways, I decided to land on a tank and was standing on top of it just emptying my clips into the vent on the back of the tank and then the turret shot me and destroyed the tank. Thanks?

It does have a heat sink on the back you can shoot just like tank turrets, though it's near impossible to actually hit without someone else to distract it. It's pretty hard to hit with calldowns too just because of how high up it is. My go-to answer is orbital lasers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

jokes posted:

There's a weak point on the back of them and they fire infrequently. You need to approach them with cover and get behind to kill them with your AC or whatever.

110s will prioritise and destroy those turrets if there aren't any tanks nearby as well.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

jokes posted:

It has a small heat vent weak spot on the back of the turret, just like the tanks do. It's also still a huge pain in the rear end to kill even if you're shooting the weak point. Orbital Laser is highly recommended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

It's also sort of bugged in that when it turns it sometimes leaves behind a sorta copy of the turret which clips through itself, at least it does on my end. So that can confuse you which way it is pointing, where the vent is.