Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Television keeps thinking people will like Jason Mantzoukas being annoying on purpose and they are wrong every time.

They have some fun with it on No Activity season 2. In that one he plays a fairly normal character opposite Cristin Milioti, who is clearly doing a "Jason Mantzoukas character".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Monster Girl’s whole deal certainly was… a choice.

American cartoons are hosed up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Monster Girl’s whole deal certainly was… a choice.

American comics are hosed up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The fake needle drops are so distractingly bad. This is an Amazon Original, right? Couldn’t they have afforded real music? Instead of these public domain real music-style audio recordings.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK there's one thing I don't get.

In the first episode, Omni-Man going nuts and killing the Guardians is clearly triggered by Mark getting his powers. So I thought that had to be part of the big Viltrumite plan. Like, they send one person to each planet specifically to see if they can mate with a local and produce a Viltrumite offspring. If they can, then that means the planet is suitable for colonization or whatever because it has a population that will produce more Viltrumites.

But when Omin-Man explains the whole thing, he doesn't mention that. He just says it was his job to weaken the planet for conquest. But if that's the whole thing, why wait 20 years? And then he says if Mark isn't onboard he can wait another 17 years to have another kid who is. So a Vitrumite offspring is important to the plan. But that's weird because if the issue is just, as I suspected, the biological ability of the local population to bear Viltrumite offspring, then he doesn't need to wait, the question is answered, the actions of the child are irrelevant. So why does he need a child to do the plan?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm the last guy who should be saying this considering how I feel about the show, but there is a plausible reason for that, based on the comics (I eventually gave up on).

There's like only a few dozen Viltrumites left because of a virus the Coalition gave them, so they're really set on trying to make kids.

Wish the show had gotten to it in the second season. Actually not sure if it did, because I gave up on the show too lol.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The second season isn't actually over yet. They did a 4/4 split.

Gripweed posted:

The fake needle drops are so distractingly bad. This is an Amazon Original, right? Couldn’t they have afforded real music? Instead of these public domain real music-style audio recordings.

They're all real songs, you're just old. Sorry, it comes for us all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aphrodite posted:

The second season isn't actually over yet. They did a 4/4 split.

They're all real songs, you're just old. Sorry, it comes for us all.

Nonsense. I watched the Spider-Verse movies and even though I didn’t recognize the songs or know who the artists were, I still could tell they were real songs. The stuff in Invincible sounds exactly like the fake songs they play in CW shows.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Air Skwirl posted:

In the comics she's basically deaf Taskmaster, ie, can repeat any action she sees someone do. So has the combat skills of anyone she sees fight. But not their speed or reflexes if they have powers.

She even imitated Gwen Stacy by getting backhanded with a loud crack sound effect and disappeared for almost a decade because subsequent just assumed she was dead.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Nonsense. I watched the Spider-Verse movies and even though I didn’t recognize the songs or know who the artists were, I still could tell they were real songs. The stuff in Invincible sounds exactly like the fake songs they play in CW shows.

the songs they play in CW shows are also real songs, they have a whole licensing deal to incentivize putting them in the shows and everything

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Alaois posted:

the songs they play in CW shows are also real songs, they have a whole licensing deal to incentivize putting them in the shows and everything

This brings to mind a webcomic where they criticize the CW for exactly this, but I doubt I can find it again.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Gripweed posted:

But when Omin-Man explains the whole thing, he doesn't mention that. He just says it was his job to weaken the planet for conquest. But if that's the whole thing, why wait 20 years? And then he says if Mark isn't onboard he can wait another 17 years to have another kid who is. So a Vitrumite offspring is important to the plan. But that's weird because if the issue is just, as I suspected, the biological ability of the local population to bear Viltrumite offspring, then he doesn't need to wait, the question is answered, the actions of the child are irrelevant. So why does he need a child to do the plan?

Might matter if the kid is a nonviable mule, produces only more humans, or can reproduce more Viltumites. You would have to wait for the offspring to reach sexual maturity to be able to figure that out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

E. Revenant posted:

Might matter if the kid is a nonviable mule, produces only more humans, or can reproduce more Viltumites. You would have to wait for the offspring to reach sexual maturity to be able to figure that out.

There is a line where he talks about how powerful Viltrumite cum is that it means Mark is basically pure blood Viltrumite. So I assume it's more of an either or situation, it either works or it doesn't, and the powers are the way to tell.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Gripweed posted:

There is a line where he talks about how powerful Viltrumite cum is that it means Mark is basically pure blood Viltrumite. So I assume it's more of an either or situation, it either works or it doesn't, and the powers are the way to tell.

Yeah they're not making full supers most of the time, he was waiting to see if Mark ended up with powers to see what he had to do and he was reaaalllyyyyy hoping he didn't have powers so he didn't have to spring the whole murderous tyrant thing on him and could just regular take poo poo over without having to worry about his super kid.

He was digging just living on earth and likely would've waited until Deb and Mark died until he went all Viltrum on that poo poo.

TGG fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 20, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's more to the Viltrumite story than has been shown so far. Not sure if they will include it in the latter half of season 2 or wait even longer.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah there is definitely a bunch more to it!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Invincible is a land of contrasts.

And spines being punched out.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I mean, Run the Jewels popped up a few times in Season One and Radiohead gets a needle drop in Season 2?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had no idea Invincible got a second season. And Amazon just spams me with messages about shows I haven't bothered watching.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I hope whoever buys WB learns there's a contractual stipulation that Zaslav can still cancel any film for his own personal tax write-offs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh poo poo, Invincible season 2 has a cameo by the guy who did the voiceover for the old Toonami Gundam promos! I’d recognize that voice anywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7GYCbu6Os

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You guys: the music in Invincible is real, we swear!

Invincible season 2: here’s a boring cover of Avalanche

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gripweed posted:

You guys: the music in Invincible is real, we swear!

Invincible season 2: here’s a boring cover of Avalanche

Are you saying Nick Cave is not a real musician? Even you being an old person with outdated music references should know him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

Are you saying Nick Cave is not a real musician? Even you being an old person with outdated music references should know him.

I’ve heard the name but I’m not familiar with his work.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 24, 2024

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Your browsing experience improves by slapping gripweed on ignore. Makes me miss dark tiz... almost

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gripweed posted:

I’ve heard the name but I’m not familiar with his work. If that cover was representative of his oeuvre im not in a hurry to change that.

I mean if you're going to be totally smug and dismissive about something so dumb at least try to do a little research. You only make yourself look uninformed when you claim a world famous musician who's been making music for decades isn't a real musician. It's the not the slam dunk kinda burn on today's music you thought it was.

Soonmot posted:

Your browsing experience improves by slapping gripweed on ignore. Makes me miss dark tiz... almost

I don't have the luxury of using ignore lists.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gripweed posted:

I’ve heard the name but I’m not familiar with his work.

If you've watched Scream or Peaky Blinders you've heard at least one of his songs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm sorry I badmouthed Nick Cave. Not knowing that it was done by a rich and famous artist, I thought that song sounded like one of those covers TV shows do when they don't want to pay for the original version of a song.

I accept that Nick Cave is real.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's not an issue about not knowing Nick Cave. It's fine not to know Nick Cave. It's about the weird and smug post you made trying to call out other posters and being totally wrong in what you're calling out. Just don't try to call out people on something if you yourself don't know. It just makes you look dumb.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Soonmot posted:

Hey now, Gripweed's posting is bad but it's not actual sex pest bad.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Gripweed posts are usually funny and worth reading, just never in the manner they meant them to be.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Gripweed posts are usually funny and worth reading, just never in the manner they meant them to be.

This, yes.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't understand most of Gripweed's opinions on comics about fighting giant monsters, but I appreciate the passion he puts into them

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I don't have the luxury of using ignore lists.

You know, I should have realized that lol

Mr. Maltose posted:

Hey now, Gripweed's posting is bad but it's not actual sex pest bad.

I did say almost!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gripweed has a good troll style. Playing an absolute moron works. Look at his latest TMNT obliviousness.

He does have terrible opinions on media.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Mr Hootington posted:

Gripweed has a good troll style. Playing an absolute moron works. Look at his latest TMNT obliviousness.

He does have terrible opinions on media.

Game recognizes game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Can we at least all agree that the Leonard Cohen original Avalanche would have been more appropriate for Omnimans emotional journey at that moment than the Nick Cave cover?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just noticed Echo is on Hulu, for anyone who wants to watch it but doesn't have Disney+

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is good? Like really, really good! It's not going to last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

AzureFlame posted:

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is good? Like really, really good! It's not going to last.

This is how I realized they even got a season 2. Good for them, my kid loved that show too.