Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
im still scratching my head about spending money on a dedicated wall mounted charger...my bolt came with the optioned accessory L1/L2 charger and its been working great. i got the qmerit free 240v install done last week and the chevy charger does 40amp charging no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

im still scratching my head about spending money on a dedicated wall mounted charger...my bolt came with the optioned accessory L1/L2 charger and its been working great. i got the qmerit free 240v install done last week and the chevy charger does 40amp charging no problem.

The only benefit is wall mounts can go slightly faster, and you can keep your L1/L2 EVSE in the vehicle at all times so you won't forget it if you go on a road trip. Otherwise the difference between 9.6 and 11.5 kW is almost a rounding error for home charging.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well that was a fun afternoon after getting off of work. Get to my MYP, open the door and get in and nothing, car is completely dead/unresponsive. Was just fine 3 hours ago when I got back from lunch but the app doesn’t even connect to the car. I knew right away it was the 12v. Quick call to the wife and we hit the autozone up the street and 30 minutes later I’m back up and running. Had to grab a 9v battery to do the frunk opening trick but other than that it was a pretty easy process. Almost 3 years on the battery which from past experience is about the average I’ve had them last here in Florida. Tesla roadside said they’d come and tow it to nearest service center(30 mins away) but it was just quicker for me to swap the battery myself and not have to deal with that. So in 37k miles besides a new set of tires this is the only maintenance thing I’ve had to do to the car so far.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Why the hell do we still have 12V batteries die and render vehicles completely unresponsive with absolutely no forewarning in TYOOL 2024? You'd think we could at least have a low 12V battery warning by now.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
DIdnt realise Model Ys came with Lead-acids? Or was it a Lithium?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ROFLBOT posted:

DIdnt realise Model Ys came with Lead-acids? Or was it a Lithium?

They made the switch to lithium in 2022 and mines a 2021.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Why the hell do we still have 12V batteries die and render vehicles completely unresponsive with absolutely no forewarning in TYOOL 2024? You'd think we could at least have a low 12V battery warning by now.

Supposedly there is a 12v degraded/needs service, I never got it though lol.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

UI things that EVs still don’t get right:

1. 12V battery warning

2. Manual switch for preconditioning

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
look at this adorable thing!

https://www.theverge.com/24083014/microlino-lite-microcar-moped-license-price-specs

quote:

Swiss company Micro — maker of the happy little Microlino electric bubble car — just unveiled a production version of its Microlino Lite at the Geneva Motor Show. With a 45km/h (28mph) top speed, it goes half as fast as the standard Microlino but can be driven by anyone with a moped license from the age of 14 in some European countries.

supposedly also coming to the US as a "neighborhood electric vehicle", no pricing, just lease estimate of $169/mo for 4 years.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I mean, I carry a 10mm wrench to disconnect the Bolt's 12v battery as they are known to occasionally have an error that basically locks the car down. Disconnect the neg terminal and it basically reboots the car's system.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
:lol: compared to an F150 lightning

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I fukkin' love that little thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mattfl posted:

Supposedly there is a 12v degraded/needs service, I never got it though lol.

I didn’t get it the first time, but I did the second time. I think it depends on exactly how the 12v decides to shuffle its mortal coil.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I didn’t get it the first time, but I did the second time. I think it depends on exactly how the 12v decides to shuffle its mortal coil.

Ya that’s probably it. Mine just flat out died, I was surprised I was even able to open my drivers door initially.

It also took a few times to get the frunk open with the 9v battery, had to hold the battery on the terminals for a few minutes to give it enough juice to pop it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Qwijib0 posted:

https://www.theverge.com/24083014/microlino-lite-microcar-moped-license-price-specs

supposedly also coming to the US as a "neighborhood electric vehicle", no pricing, just lease estimate of $169/mo for 4 years.

The microlino lite is 16490 CHF

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

:swoon:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

gwrtheyrn posted:

The microlino lite is 16490 CHF

It would be interesting to see a BOM tear down of it to see where the costs are.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

kill me now posted:

Yes, niche versions of niche vehicles are usually big sellers

niche versions with 95% parts commonality with the base vehicle are generally a good idea. that's why every automaker has like three cars with fifty trim levels each. but with convertibles the parts commonality doesn't include "the chassis" and that causes a shitton of extra expenses getting it safety certified

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

That's loving hilarious. I burst out laughing at work and had one of those moments when everyone pauses, looks at the idiot for a second, and then goes back to what they were doing.

To be clear, the little Swiss mini thing is a million times preferable to me than that hideous truck.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Qwijib0 posted:

It look like it would fit in the bed of the F-150.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i cant wait to see whatever the ev version of the superbike-swapped drag smart is

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zero One posted:

lol I was just gonna say that.

That thing is adorable.

As someone who drives a fairly low car now my hatred for giant trucks everywhere has grown exponentially. They’re so loving dumb.

E: the comparison of size is loving nuts: https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compare/volvo-v60-2018-estate-vs-ford-f150-2014-4-door-pickup-supercrew/

Although the funniest bit:

quote:

Technical specs | Volvo V60 (Z) Estate 2018 is 115 cm shorter and 56.2 cm lower compared to Ford F-150 Lightning Pick-up SuperCrew 2022. It has 8.5 cm less ground clearance and offers 4% less cargo space.4,5

Ok it’s not really apples to apples but it is funny that the Volvo with the seats down has about the same cargo space by volume as what would be under the tonneau cover on an f-150

priznat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 27, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Cargo space usefulness is determined by cubic volume. A pickup truck with an open bed has a unique capability to fit tall items, like a refrigerator standing upright for example.

That station wagon with the sloped roof is like the worst goddamn thing for carrying items. You can have a larger cube of volume in the minivan or SUV, or better use of space in a proper five-door hatchback. Honda Fit carry capacity shits all over that Volvo. And then you have to bend your back into a pretzel in order to reach things further inside that hatch area.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s why I said it’s not apples to apples you tremendous goober

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Cargo space usefulness is determined by cubic volume. A pickup truck with an open bed has a unique capability to fit tall items, like a refrigerator standing upright for example.

That station wagon with the sloped roof is like the worst goddamn thing for carrying items. You can have a larger cube of volume in the minivan or SUV, or better use of space in a proper five-door hatchback. Honda Fit carry capacity shits all over that Volvo. And then you have to bend your back into a pretzel in order to reach things further inside that hatch area.

GE Honda Fit cargo supremacy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
hurry up and make the ID.Buzz available! morans! :argh:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

For me personally, I park on the right side of the garage, and the charging door is on the left side in the Bolt. My garage is shallow enough and I've got storage on the interior that I can't easily thread the cable in front. So it has to go around the back of the vehicle. Which means that any time I wanted to leave I had to spend a number of seconds arranging the cord to be out of the way of the car as I would back out.

With my EVSE it's mounted on that same wall, but then I've got the charging cable hanging from the ceiling, ending in a retractor directly above the charging port, so now I'm spending maybe a half a second dealing with the cord when I plug or unplug, which I much prefer.

I also didn't have a 240v outlet, and to properly install one would require a $200 breaker, a $100 outlet, and an extra run of 6 gauge wire for the unneeded neutral vs just hardwiring the EVSE and not having to pay for those expensive components. Probably not a big deal if an electrician is doing the work (though, are they going to order the $100 EVSE receptacle, or use the less durable $20 stove/dryer receptacle) but I installed myself.

Also me personally, I'm much more comfortable keeping that portable EVSE in the car and having it if I need it, and I'm not going to be bothered most of the time to actually wrap it up and stick it in the car, and you can't always predict your emergencies...

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Cactus Ghost posted:

niche versions with 95% parts commonality with the base vehicle are generally a good idea. that's why every automaker has like three cars with fifty trim levels each. but with convertibles the parts commonality doesn't include "the chassis" and that causes a shitton of extra expenses getting it safety certified

As they say, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze on this one.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

kill me now posted:

As they say, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze on this one.

yeah it weirdly means that starting with a convertible-only design like the miata and adding a flimsy fixed roof or a retractable hardtop ends up preferable, since it's all the same chassis and the rollover protection is already there

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

FISHMANPET posted:

With my EVSE it's mounted on that same wall, but then I've got the charging cable hanging from the ceiling, ending in a retractor directly above the charging port, so now I'm spending maybe a half a second dealing with the cord when I plug or unplug, which I much prefer.

I also didn't have a 240v outlet, and to properly install one would require a $200 breaker, a $100 outlet, and an extra run of 6 gauge wire for the unneeded neutral vs just hardwiring the EVSE and not having to pay for those expensive components.

Haha, that's sick.

You can get a NEMA 5-50 receptacle installed instead of the 14-50 if you don't want to deal with a neutral but do want a cord & plug connected EVSE, FYI.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Qwijib0 posted:

I would unironically and proudly drive that thing to the store and other errands in my neighborhood when it's too lovely out for me to bike (which is most of the year here in the North West)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elviscat posted:

Haha, that's sick.

You can get a NEMA 5-50 receptacle installed instead of the 14-50 if you don't want to deal with a neutral but do want a cord & plug connected EVSE, FYI.

6-50 ideally :P

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I've attempted to formulate into words why using an installed EVSE designed for mounted use is extremely obviously preferable for most users, assuming the install isn't too burdensome, and I say that as someone that went half a decade charging my EVs on a 120 outlet in an awkward spot in our garage but if you can't see the obvious reasons why someone would prefer one over the other... :stare:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yes, we get it, you are an stuck up oval office

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

gwrtheyrn posted:

6-50 ideally :P

Lol, well they look almost the same. Explains why 6-50s are polarized despite polarity not mattering.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Three Olives posted:

I've attempted to formulate into words why using an installed EVSE designed for mounted use is extremely obviously preferable for most users, assuming the install isn't too burdensome, and I say that as someone that went half a decade charging my EVs on a 120 outlet in an awkward spot in our garage but if you can't see the obvious reasons why someone would prefer one over the other... :stare:

i mean, i can see the obvious reasons you would prefer one over the other

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
“wait until the local homeless guy sees my EVSE…”

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
if you are going to be running wire for the charger just put a 230 plug and that way if you move or need to replace it, you can just unplug it. you can even get a dual l1/l2!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Microlino looks nice and cool but has the feature comforts of a busted Yugo, reviewers here have panned it for costing like a used panda while having worse cabin noise and handling. I'm curious to see if the US spec variant will improve over the euro spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Beffer posted:

That's loving hilarious. I burst out laughing at work and had one of those moments when everyone pauses, looks at the idiot for a second, and then goes back to what they were doing.

To be clear, the little Swiss mini thing is a million times preferable to me than that hideous truck.
That truck is a million times preferable to me than that hideous little swiss mini thing.

Zero One posted:

The gasser probably wouldn't notice.