Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

it has full controller support though???? I’m primary using dual sense for everything and only swapping to a mouse because it’s a bit easier for inventory management but totally optional

infact it’s kinda easier to play with a controller because you just press stick in direction and teleport or shoot skills or whatever

I saw lots of reports of skills auto-targeting random poo poo so you leap around all over the place, and the right stick apparently being a mouse cursor which always feels awful.

I'm sure it's fine if you can swap between, but if I'm playing on handheld then M+KB isn't an option at all, it needs to have some kind of solution for everything. The reason I said it's not something I'd ever hold against a game in a recommendation is because I recognize how hard that is with a genre like this and the fact that only a single game in the history of the genre seems to have pulled it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Epic High Five posted:

I saw lots of reports of skills auto-targeting random poo poo so you leap around all over the place, and the right stick apparently being a mouse cursor which always feels awful.

I'm sure it's fine if you can swap between, but if I'm playing on handheld then M+KB isn't an option at all, it needs to have some kind of solution for everything. The reason I said it's not something I'd ever hold against a game in a recommendation is because I recognize how hard that is with a genre like this and the fact that only a single game in the history of the genre seems to have pulled it off.

Is what that person said about you true? You haven't played outer wilds?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I wish I could remove the part of my brain that holds the memories of Outer Wilds

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

I haven't, no. I need to, but I'm just not feeling any serious games right now. I've been reading books instead and just replaying the first half of Dysmantle and Hollow Knight again, RIP

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

your recent games have been big vicarious relivings for me and I think you mentioned you haven't played outer wilds so I'm gonna hoot and holler about outer wilds even though it's not what you're asking for

thats right

Oh I was wondering what fealty was talking about and somehow missed this lol.

I'm glad people have been enjoying them, it's awkward sometimes recounting both here and in the specific thread for the game but I know how much I enjoy it when other first timers in a game I like play through them so it feels nice to pay it forward.

When I play Outer Wilds it will be recounted here in loving detail, fret not

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im on a cycle of pacific drive / balatro / last epoch.

last epoch is what i was hoping diablo 4 would be, your build actually matters and getting good synergies going is important.

right now im running a bleed warlock build which procs other skills, so you can take them off the bar and use the slots for other skills you specialized it to

hardest part im finding so far is getting good gear, legendaries seem rare even when partied up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

doing curse/reap skeleton and skeleton mage necro

i have reds in every slot playing solo offline. im not very high level either, i still only have 3 skills unlocked for specializations.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 01:37 on Feb 27, 2024

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Watching Vinesauce play Belatro, it looks cool as hell but way too big brain for me. Music is dope as hell though

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

my bony fealty posted:

I wish I could remove the part of my brain that holds the memories of Outer Wilds

same, but Obra Dinn as well.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

TontoCorazon posted:

Watching Vinesauce play Belatro, it looks cool as hell but way too big brain for me. Music is dope as hell though

You can be pretty dumb and still enjoy balatro

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Real Mean Queen posted:

You can be pretty dumb and still enjoy balatro

all you need to know is flush

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

last epoch is what i was hoping diablo 4 would be, your build actually matters and getting good synergies going is important.

right now im running a bleed warlock build which procs other skills, so you can take them off the bar and use the slots for other skills you specialized it to

hardest part im finding so far is getting good gear, legendaries seem rare even when partied up

lol i'm running the same build, it's great so far. about to head into empowered monos and such soon so we'll see. I find i get a lot of legendaries when solo, just mostly ones that arent for my build/class.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

haven't played Obra Dinn for this reason, I am saving it for when I need a game to get totally engrossed in for a weekend and have the time to do it. one day.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

running 4 pet skill beastmaster. dogs cast frenzy howl, scorpion shreds armor, raptor shreds resistances and gives cooldown reduction for the pet abilities, cat brings the big deeps. I usually don't play minion builds but it's been sick

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stop convincing me to buy another ARPG with your tantalizing descriptions of fun summoner builds. Surely they didn't also make a whirlwind barb equivalent that's at least as good as D3's too.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Stop convincing me to buy another ARPG with your tantalizing descriptions of fun summoner builds. Surely they didn't also make a whirlwind barb equivalent that's at least as good as D3's too.

my buddy described that there's a hilarious whirlwind build somewhere in the game

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh by the way if you feel like posting in games i made a thread about pacific drive, in games.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

oh by the way if you feel like posting in games i made a thread about pacific drive, in games.
old school games thread, i like it

i'm seriously tempted to put a pause on my play and get a quest 3 just to play it in vr

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

unicorn overlord demo is pretty incredible.
its like a rtwp tactics game where you build each unit from your roster and set characters in the right formation to maximize synergy and then create like ff12's gambit system for what the characters in each unit will do or react to in battle and then you march your units around capturing landmarks and watch the battles play out and tweaking things as you go and trying to support units with other units to counter weaknesses and avoid running out of stamina.
such a breath of fresh air for the usually painfully slow paced tactics genre

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

Oh it's cyclone warpath is great! You get it in like Act 1 and the button grows in strength from there. Right now I have it spec'd to cost no mana, echo so a lil ghost version of me spins to create an AOE damage circle, and my ignite/bleeds are combined into a super dot ailment called Timerot that ramps your cyclone damage as it stacks. It's so good!

I got to the Boney Baron but I didn't have the Spear of MacGuffin so I time jewel wrapped me to where I needed to be and I get to do a sword and sandals act in icetown.

I'm in Act 8 and I just pressed buttons on my gear, now all my resistances are capped. This is my first go around and I feel the mastery and mechanical accomplishment I felt on my 5th POE league. This does not have staying power like POE, but it is a delight and I'm happy I chose this new game of February 2024.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

old school games thread, i like it

i'm seriously tempted to put a pause on my play and get a quest 3 just to play it in vr

lol i mean, idk how to describe it. yeah, you can get immersed in the tiny screen and get spooked and excited like any other game but instead im like in the garage, a storm raging outside and a cool song on the jukebox, just working on my car. then i go out into the wilderness and there are dangers everywhere around you, you definitely get spooked by some of the loud moaning sounds and the sounds of buildings settling. incredible experience, panicking all the time 10/10

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I got the surfing bird emote, just working on that TV back bling now. Idc about everything after that really.

i got way too deep into the battlepass for my liking.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
let a gamer :w00t:

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

Gone on a few drives in the mid zone of pacific drive now and it's really not loving around, almost feels like the gameplay is slightly at odds with the great vibes the game has. The best experience so far has still been some of the closes zones where the anomalies and weather are toned down. Went to one map with a little town at around midnight, there was enough open space for the moonlight to shine down through the fog and it was so perfect I just went cruising loops around the place for a while. I'm going to keep pressing on because I'm actually kinda curious where the story is going and how much worse the zone is going to get though. It really does give off the sense that the zone is trying to stop humans, sending out anomalies that specifically target you and calling in storms as you plunder its resources, it's pretty cool and feels different from the kinda chaotic nature of the zone in stalker.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Last Epoch is a pretty good middle ground between d4 boredom and lovely itemization, and poe with its eve online learning curve.

I'm running birb/turrets and it's pretty fun because I literally play nothing but minion builds in arpgs

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

I finally just had the time to clone my 500Gb to the 15Tb I got in November.

Grabbed Pacific Coast, Farcry 5 (I just kind of liked the game, I'll get bored), FC6, BG3, the better Diablo game, two dumb In The Woods games because they looked fun, Hell Diver.

Really enjoying Hell Dover. Wish it didn't scrape my Steam name since New York Cock Exchange is having a detrimental impact on my server games.

Got a controller. BG3 was drat near unplayable but now it's p fun.

Man I missed playing video games.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Can't wait to develop Alzheimer's dementia and spend the rest of my life playing Outer Wilds all day, every day.

Just kidding it's probably etched into a deeper part of my long term memory than my own name.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Can't wait to develop Alzheimer's dementia and spend the rest of my life playing Outer Wilds all day, every day.

Just kidding it's probably etched into a deeper part of my long term memory than my own name.

Love to forget important stuff like what I did at work yesterday all the time but can never ever forget how the twin planet step works

gahhh

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

i got way too deep into the battlepass for my liking.

It's easier now that there's 4 different game types you can play that will all level you up

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
SF6 got some nice updates in the new patch for Ed. Some annoying high-damage normals and specials got nerfed, some of the lower tier characters got buffed, and most importantly the matchmaking isn't locked to your region and you can now set it to search for players on the other servers around the world.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Hitting a wall in helldivers 2. Hard missions where you have to evac civvies seem impossible once the game is willing to drop like 3 hulks on you simultaneously.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Playstation cutting 900 jobs

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
:frogsiren:END OF SEASON EVENT HAS BEGUN :frogsiren:
https://twitter.com/ShiinaBR/status/1762478592909250582?t=74DlUliSbtvf1ec4am6lMw&s=19
https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1762478654854939129?t=sFUn00s3GG8V0ANTWM31OA&s=19
https://twitter.com/Wensoing/status/1762479444629889400?t=GfrDi5dxZ8V2uRmH5cbbGg&s=19

Seems very similar to how the cube event was. There are videos around of what the various stages look like, but I won't be watching or posting so it is a fun surprise. People will figure out what time the stages happen so you know when to be playing to watch. This is going to be great.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Grey Fox posted:

Playstation cutting 900 jobs

Playstation 5 got no games jobs

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Mr Hootington posted:

:frogsiren:END OF SEASON EVENT HAS BEGUN :frogsiren:
https://twitter.com/ShiinaBR/status/1762478592909250582?t=74DlUliSbtvf1ec4am6lMw&s=19
https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1762478654854939129?t=sFUn00s3GG8V0ANTWM31OA&s=19
https://twitter.com/Wensoing/status/1762479444629889400?t=GfrDi5dxZ8V2uRmH5cbbGg&s=19

Seems very similar to how the cube event was. There are videos around of what the various stages look like, but I won't be watching or posting so it is a fun surprise. People will figure out what time the stages happen so you know when to be playing to watch. This is going to be great.

Helldivers has saved me from caring about fortnite for at least this upcoming season. Grinding out the battlepass and the various events this season burned me out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Retromancer posted:

Helldivers has saved me from caring about fortnite for at least this upcoming season. Grinding out the battlepass and the various events this season burned me out.

I've seen some of the stuff unfortunately spoiling myself and if you like fortnite I would say jump on sometime this weekend to see some of the stuff happening. This is reminding me of the meteor, cube, and mech stuff.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Retromancer posted:

Hitting a wall in helldivers 2. Hard missions where you have to evac civvies seem impossible once the game is willing to drop like 3 hulks on you simultaneously.

once you get to 6+ difficulty missions, you need the majority of your squad bringing heavy weapons to deal with all the hard targets. There's too many hulks/tanks/chargers/titans to just use eagle or orbital strikes

if youre at least level 10, pick up the autocannon cause that thing fucks hard, especially against bots. at 20, you get the rail gun which can kill hulks and titans in one hit, its insane

the evac missions in particular are a bit overtuned and way harder than other missions in the same difficulty. Id recommend bringing mortars, especially the EMS mortar, that thing kicks an insane amount of rear end despite not doing any damage. it just stunlocks entire waves of enemies and gives your squad a lot more time to react

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

DoubleDonut posted:

agreeing and adding Hypnospace Outlaw too

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Right now my puzzle time is being taken up with Baba Is You but Outer Wilds is on my list for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Maya Fey posted:

last chance qualifier then 3 days of round-robin group stages then top 16

Yeah I thought about it after I made that post, it doesn't make sense for double elimination and while round robin is good it does takes up a lot of time.