Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Resdfru posted:

If this were true is there anyone that sees this and thinks yes that sounds like what I need in my life.

Bloated endless games are the worst

https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/status/1480633241937891328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Almost ninety percent of our game is useless poo poo! :razz:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Like, even Ubisoft would be telling them to chill out a bit

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

There's a massive 2k publisher sale going on right now but the two year old NBA2k23 isn't even on sale :argh:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The latest Ubisoft release had 40 pointless game-spanning collectathon quests? Well, get this, our game has 50

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Squiggle posted:

I know two people like this. They're smarter than we are.

Honestly that is true.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

and its not like you can't do massive open world games with an overwhelming amount of side content. Infinite Wealth did this, and FF7 Rebirth is doing this too, but like the difference here is that those two games have actual interesting side content that is really engaging. Where UBISofts games do not.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I said come in! posted:

Honestly that is true.

I'm jealous of them the same way I am of people who put bumper stickers on their car. I really wish the dopamine came that easily.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Days Gone just felt like it had way too much game for its own good. I played it for some 8 hours and got to the point where I kinda felt like I'd seen all it had to offer gameplay-wise (aside from some largely incremental equipment upgrades), but when I looked into the completion tracker thingy it turned out I was IIRC somewhere in the 10s of % completed. Even if I were to just mainline the primary story from there on out, that just felt like too much stuff for the relatively basic gameplay to support.

The final act is absurd in how absolutely unnecessary it is

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

For the average person to complete Dying Light 2 Stay Human, you'll need at least 10^106 years—almost as long as it would take for a large black hole to evaporate! This is because only when the last shred of matter in the universe has diffused into a dilute gas would playing this game be considered a reasonable use of one's time

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

boofhead posted:

For the average person to complete Dying Light 2 Stay Human, you'll need at least 10^106 years—almost as long as it would take for a large black hole to evaporate! This is because only when the last shred of matter in the universe has diffused into a dilute gas would playing this game be considered a reasonable use of one's time

lol

J
Jun 10, 2001

How playable is helldivers 2 without a premade group? It looks like some goofy fun but are pubbies gonna be gettin mad because everyone doesn't know their elite speedrun strats or some poo poo?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

J posted:

How playable is helldivers 2 without a premade group? It looks like some goofy fun but are pubbies gonna be gettin mad because everyone doesn't know their elite speedrun strats or some poo poo?

I played 80 hours of Helldivers 1 and so far about 30 hours of Helldivers 2 playing exclusively with pubbies and haven't found any issues. Some people are jerks or griefers, but not anymore than say, Deep Rock Galactic.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I grabbed the game over the weekend and will probably play it some with friends but I only played with randos and didn't find any egregious cases of assholes. Had one open mic guy that constantly died and then got mad at us for him dying but that wasn't a big deal because we just stopped reviving him.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I said come in! posted:

Buy Robocop if you're able to. This game is extremely good. Really want this developer to make a Judge Dredd game next.

Judge Dredd would be great, but I feel like the real path to victory here is a new Robocop vs Terminator, together with a re-release of the Mega Drive version.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

J posted:

Ok at first but then not very. People in higher difficulties are already jerking off about "meta" builds and kicking people with subpar loadouts. The upper difficulties are pretty bullshit in and of themselves too.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Det_no posted:

People in higher difficulties are already jerking off about "meta" builds and kicking people with subpar loadouts.

Well there goes my interest

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Multiplayer is the worst lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the non-meta builds feel really bad because you just can't kill anything at the highest difficulties in a fun amount of time due to how armor works. for better or worse the game is a lot more difficult than DRG and other popular co-op titles at their peak.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
though there's 9 difficulties so you can just play on ones that aren't 8-9 and no one cares.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

Multiplayer is the worst lol

that sounds like something somebody who doesnt care about the extremely serious high end meta of Helldivers 2 would say 🤨

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

loving armor scaling man. its never fun in any game. get that poo poo out of here.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

loving armor scaling man. its never fun in any game. get that poo poo out of here.

It’s not a thing in Helldivers though?

To be clear when they say because of how armor works they mean that certain weapons either expose or directly damage weak points of certain enemies better than others.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 27, 2024

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah sorry. it's not a matter of scaling in that way, the higher difficulties just spawn way more of the enemies which require armor-busting (or penetration or the like) in some way. it's not a super rare trait so it's not like "use one of these two guns or you get kicked", but there's definitely some weapons and strategems that just don't function well under difficulty 9 conditions as they are now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
level 5-6 seems to be the sweet spot for helldivers shoot-em-ups, past that you need to fundamentally alter your playstyle because you won't be able to outgun the hordes even with a coordinated team

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

level 5-6 seems to be the sweet spot for helldivers shoot-em-ups, past that you need to fundamentally alter your playstyle because you won't be able to outgun the hordes even with a coordinated team

Yeah, 5-6 is a lot of fun and you can make literally any load out work. You do have to do difficulty 7+ to get the rarest type of Samples but those are only used for unlocking like 6ish different ship upgrades, 95+% of stuff can be unlocked on difficulty 4+

I'm exclusively playing with randoms in matchmaking and even though some of them are huffing farts it's overall pretty great.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

If you really want to you can almost entirely stealth missions in Helldivers 2 - and it makes the game feel incredible with how well it works.
Strategically taking out guards around an outpost before infiltrating it to launch a loving ICBM out from under enemy noses before melting back into the jungle.

Of course if you gently caress up you're in for the meatgrinder.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, despite looking like a dumb shoot 'em up (and one of the best at it) there's a surprising amount of mil sim stuff in Helldivers 2, including stealth.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Buy Robocop if you're able to. This game is extremely good.

What really sold it to me is that they got Peter Weller doing the voice, and he is absolutely nailing it even though it's been almost 40 years.

They reuse the same maps a little bit too much, but it's a small dev and making games is expensive, so that's fair enough.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Can you stealth kill with an Eagle airstirke? If no I’m not interested.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Squiggle posted:

Well there goes my interest

for what its worth this hasnt been my experience at all playing with randoms on the 7th highest difficulty, which still lets you collect all the same resources as the higher 2 levels

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, despite looking like a dumb shoot 'em up (and one of the best at it) there's a surprising amount of mil sim stuff in Helldivers 2, including stealth.

tbh I think this is really what makes the game so special and stand apart from a lot of other coop shooters. The game is not very upfront about it, but as the difficulty rises, picking your fights becomes really important and you really want to stop reflexively shooting everything that moves. you don't gain any progress by killing enemies and alerting a patrol into calling reinforcements for no reason can get you stuck in a pointless forever fight. watching the map for radar blips of patrols, moving out of their path or even firing a shot before repositioning to draw them away, knowing when to disengage from bad fights, and sometimes splitting up hundreds of meters apart on purpose are things you just don't have to think about in your L4Ds and your ME3MPs. the enemy patrol/detection systems along with the detailed weapon mechanics and risk/reward of stratagems (extremely powerful but just as lethal to helldivers as enemies) is just a really unique formula.

those ideas were all explored in HD1 but it's impressive how well the devs applied them to a different genre which has the potential for much more detailed mechanics than a twinstick shooter where the group is locked to the same screen.

and none of this came at any cost to the quality of the action gameplay, which rules too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7A8uNgwH0k

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 27, 2024

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Countblanc posted:

the non-meta builds feel really bad because you just can't kill anything at the highest difficulties in a fun amount of time due to how armor works. for better or worse the game is a lot more difficult than DRG and other popular co-op titles at their peak.
Is Helldivers 2 not a game where you eventually get weapons that let you take on max difficulty?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kibayasu posted:

As long as the enemy doesn't see you actually toss the beacon you should be good!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is Helldivers 2 not a game where you eventually get weapons that let you take on max difficulty?

the balance isn't perfect but the intention is for weapons to be sidegrades

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kly posted:

for what its worth this hasnt been my experience at all playing with randoms on the 7th highest difficulty, which still lets you collect all the same resources as the higher 2 levels

Yeah I'm not sure why everyone is automatically assuming the other guy is correct that high end difficulties is full of toxic meta gamers. That has not been my experience.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

if the gamer to the left of you and the gamer to the right of you isn’t toxic well I have bad news for you gamer

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Kibayasu posted:

no you have to crouch up behind them and hit y

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Scalding Coffee posted:

maybe.

it's up to you to unlock the 'right' weapons, and a non-zero number of people won't notice that the higher difficulty enemies have additional armour plating and just assume the issue is that they need to grind through more hp rather than refine where or what they're shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Ok, people are bringing up that Robocop Rogue City is on sale and it's great, but me, I live a generation behind, so I'm actually curious about their previous game, Terminator Resistance: what's the feeling on that one? Is it still pretty positive, or has the reception changed in retrospect? One aspect I was curious about was how it treats terminators: I hear a lot about them being super powerful and impervious to bullets, only weak to plasma, and I like the strategic survival aspect of that, but does that last, or do you immediately turn into some one man army and start mowing down all of them with impunity?