Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lawman 0 posted:

Gonna probably pick this up

That's the easy part.

Come tell us when you manage to put it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
One thing I appreciate is how immediately brutal endless mode gets. I don’t like it when I have to play a rougelike forever if I want to see how good my build was. You have to be really breaking things to get past like ante 11. It ramps it up quick.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

One thing I appreciate is how immediately brutal endless mode gets. I don’t like it when I have to play a rougelike forever if I want to see how good my build was. You have to be really breaking things to get past like ante 11. It ramps it up quick.

Yeah, this is a big part of the design ethos. The regular antes scale up very quickly compared to a other run-based roguelikes, the endless antes scale up even faster, and the difficulty levels also scale up very fast. It's great.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ha ha you're so funny game you're sooooooooo funny and charming

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
EDIT: ^ perfect avatar and picture combo

Okay, so Anaglyph can be good, I've just been having bad Tag luck. I also grabbed the last voucher and unlocked the last Joker this run, so all I need to do is find those three missing jokers in the shop at some point and win on Orange Stakes to unlock the deck and that's the Collection 100%'d.

And then begins all the other grinds.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 27, 2024

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pigbuster posted:

Royal flush is literally no different from any other straight flush mechanically, the dev basically had to be bullied into even acknowledging it with the label instead of just saying “straight flush”. But straight flushes in general are underpowered, I’d agree with that.

Very sensible. It starts with royal flushes, then you get royal straights and who knows where you end up?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
did one of the recent updates remove the ability for negative joker tags to show up in Ante 1? I used to be able to get the negative joker tag right off the start if I started a new run enough times, but now it will not get pulled at all until later antes

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

uXs posted:

Very sensible. It starts with royal flushes, then you get royal straights and who knows where you end up?

Habsburg flushes

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

barnold posted:

did one of the recent updates remove the ability for negative joker tags to show up in Ante 1? I used to be able to get the negative joker tag right off the start if I started a new run enough times, but now it will not get pulled at all until later antes

I'm not sure when it was changed but negative tags do not show up in ante 1, yes.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Color Printer posted:

I'm not sure when it was changed but negative tags do not show up in ante 1, yes.

thats hosed up

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I knew I remembered Wee Joker being stronger. look how they massacred my boy.

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023
Not sure if it's been mentioned but when you have the Red Card joker and you open a pack that lets you pick 2 options, you can pick 1 and then press skip on the 2nd and it'll still give Red Card a mult up for skipping.

Similarly, for cards that activate based on pairs or whatever...that doesn't need to be the ultimate suit. Like if you get a flush with a pair in the flush, that will proc the card that requires a hand have a pair.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
reading the card explains the card.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

WarEternal posted:

reading the card explains the card.

gently caress reading, i play for the music

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

help I can't stop playing

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The switch touchscreen controls are PERFECT. Turns out my joycon drift was a blessing.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I’ve been seeing this game when I close my eyes.. like the ol’ Tetris effect. Wasn’t prepared for how addictive it is.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

uXs posted:

My middle name is flush. That’s right, “Johnny Flush Five Aces”.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

My middle name is flush. That’s right, “Johnny Flush Five Aces”.

Balatro: Johnny Flush Five Aces

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The jokers that change their required suits/values every round should have a little spot on their graphic telling you what it is without having to hover over it. On the Switch touchscreen you have to long press on it and wiggle your finger out of the way to see what it is.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Infinitum posted:

*casually scores more money than atoms in the universe*

The best part for me was that they played a single card to score that insane number

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

MJeff posted:

Ha ha you're so funny game you're sooooooooo funny and charming

That's the egg, right? I really want this one with the one that gives multi based on the sell value of jokers to the left :argh:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So jokers that can delete themselves (either on random chance like Gros Michel or over time like Popcorn), are designed to be sold (Diet Cola, Invisible Joker), are render themselves useless after a specific point (Mr. Bones) cannot be eternal. There are two major exceptions: Egg and, amusingly enough, Luchador.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

External Organs posted:

That's the egg, right? I really want this one with the one that gives multi based on the sell value of jokers to the left :argh:

I got that combo today - it was nice but it doesn’t scale with the difficulty. But it was still nice

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I am Balatro pilled

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Won my gold chip with the blue deck and feeling pretty good, but also I've never once managed to score into scientific notation. Not even near it, in fact.

My playstyle starts to aggressively value raising the minimum score of every hand, while of course still (just barely) beating the ante. All in all this means my runs never seem to "pop off."

Im the Basic Bitch of Balatro

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Popete posted:

I am Balatro pilled

Poggin' out of my gourd over here

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sure okay posted:

Won my gold chip with the blue deck and feeling pretty good, but also I've never once managed to score into scientific notation. Not even near it, in fact.

My playstyle starts to aggressively value raising the minimum score of every hand, while of course still (just barely) beating the ante. All in all this means my runs never seem to "pop off."

So you're worth +4 mult then?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1762286572781662708

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Popete posted:

I am Balatro pilled

how much mult is that

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

sure okay posted:

Psycho runs are way easier to make happen on easiest difficulty. Throwback and hologram are amazing cards for beating gold chip but theyre not gonna carry you to scientific notation, you'll need an on-play-trigger exodia for that.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

First challenge (The Omelette) complete! Turns out you don't need conventional moneymaking when you've got half a deck full of Gold Cards. The rest of the deck/Joker setup was pretty unoptimized, though it was fun to get to play 5 card "pairs" all the time.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I beat the omelette by hitting the tarot that gives you the price of your jokers if sold. Made plenty of money in the tarot cards

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

External Organs posted:

Got this doing the omlette challenge just to see how many antes I could get with 4 eggs and a pirate. (I think it's called pirate.)
Decided to see how long it would actually take me without adding thing else.
Got me to ante 6 before it no longer kept up.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

I knew I remembered Wee Joker being stronger. look how they massacred my boy.

It's still pretty darn strong in its current form; I've won a couple of runs thanks to getting it early enough.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

the game knows when you're putting together too good of a gold chip run and actively tries to gently caress you, of this I am certain. I had a near perfect setup with the madness joker and then the game gives me the "-$1 for every card played" boss and put me $15 in debt, preventing me from buying any additional jokers to hoover up. I'm actually turning into the joker

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Any advice on beating Black Stake? I've been slamming my head against it for a couple days now on Ghost Deck and not really getting anywhere.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

barnold posted:

the game knows when you're putting together too good of a gold chip run and actively tries to gently caress you, of this I am certain. I had a near perfect setup with the madness joker and then the game gives me the "-$1 for every card played" boss and put me $15 in debt, preventing me from buying any additional jokers to hoover up. I'm actually turning into the joker

Does madness joker actually need other jokers to hoover up? It increases multiplier even if all your other jokers are indestructible, at least.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

Does madness joker actually need other jokers to hoover up? It increases multiplier even if all your other jokers are indestructible, at least.

you keep whatever your current built multiplier is but if it has no jokers to destroy you don't get the +0.5X. it worked for the next two rounds but I didn't have enough juice to keep the chips piling in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Madness doesn't care if it eats anything, the dagger does.